[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>I watched Code Geass for the mechs. Said no one.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 18

File: Shinkirou.png (918KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Shinkirou.png
918KB, 1280x720px
>I watched Code Geass for the mechs.
Said no one.
>>
>I never watched Code Geass because the animation style is fucking awful

Said me.
>>
absolutely forgettable mechas
>>
File: 239.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
239.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>15094285
>>
File: AV_CodeGeass_Lancelot17.jpg (632KB, 1370x1417px) Image search: [Google]
AV_CodeGeass_Lancelot17.jpg
632KB, 1370x1417px
>>15094262

Fuck you. The Lancelot is a sexy beast.
>>
>>15094304
He is right though. I remember fucktons of mechs from a hundred different franchises, but I can't remember ANY of the mechs from Code Geass after watching the first 2 seasons. Just a vague memory of the orange laser shooting Jeremiah Gotswald mech. Even that's really just because of the "pure motherfucking loyalty" meme.
>>
I plan to.
I saw a few of them around from SRW and ACE.
>>
I did for S1.

S2 mechs were shit though. SHIT.
>>
>>15094325
>forgetting the sexy Guren, Gawain or Lancelot
>>
Some of the toys look neat.
>>
>>15094262
I think the mechs are probably the strongest part of the show. I could care less about Lelouch and his dumb Byronic Hero archetype, but the Shinkiro's a sexy beast. Same with finding Suzaku boring but loving the Lancelot, or Kallen boring but loving the Guren.

I will say, though, that those giant cockpit backpacks are awful. I can't defend those at all, and will not try. I hate them, they ruin otherwise good designs.
>>
Don't pretend that the Gawain wasn't a sexy, sexy bitch.
>>
File: Suzaku won Kallenfags BTFO.webm (3MB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
Suzaku won Kallenfags BTFO.webm
3MB, 680x382px
Anyone who thought Code Geass didn't have some of the sleekest-looking mechs are deluding themselves.
>>
S1 mechs worked. They weren't absurdly good designs or ultra detailed, but they worked. The fight scenes were somewhat interesting due to the scope-dog esque antics of the knightmare frames, and it was nice seeing the KFs treated more as expendable military hardware than the ultimate weapon. Shit, if I recall there was even instances of combined arms scenes such as the Shinjiku ghetto cleaning, with tanks, infantry, VTOLs and KFs moving in tandem.
Sure, the Guren and the Lancelot, were fucking beam-shitting, backflipping prototypes piloted by ACE PILOTS, but they still largely played by the aesthetic of the other landbound KFs.

Then people started using float systems.

Then S2 came along and everyone had to be rolling around in a prototype mecha or had some sort of gimmick, everyone started using flight packs and pew pew guns. At that point the combat just turned into something that looed like it was aping Gundam's trademark beamspam style without knowing what made that interesting.
>>
>>15094262
The fuck are you talking about. The only good this about Code Geass is the mech designs.
>>
>>15094416
>everyone had to be rolling around in a prototype mecha or had some sort of gimmick

But why is that necessarily a bad thing? The escalation of warfare in Code Geass is a pretty straightforward plot construction that's meant to reflect how the stakes are being raised. It's only logical that every faction would be scrambling to develop their own prototypes after how the Lancelot/Guren performed in season 1.

Also, I understand the VOTOMS-esque/real-robot appeal. But as far as aesthetic/theme is concerned, Code Geass was always more of a melodramatic picaresque than a hard military sci-fi show.
>>
>>15094412
How the fuck is it, that 10 years later, IBO can't have animation this smooth and seamless with it's melee combat?
>>
File: Knightmare Rollerball.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Knightmare Rollerball.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>15094585
That webm was from the final episode.

This one here is what the show looked like most of the time.

I swear, I get this response every time I post a Code Geass webm.
>>
>>15094262
Can't even think of a show were mecha looked more like oversized, ugly plastic toys than Code Geass.

>>15094321
Even the weapons are screaming ugly plastic toys.
>>
File: 1459289475698.gif (598KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1459289475698.gif
598KB, 320x240px
>>15094262
I came for the mechs.

I stayed for LOYALTY and ZERO and the mechs.
>>
File: 1425535739188.gif (371KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1425535739188.gif
371KB, 500x375px
>>15094325
The more I think about it the more memorable knightmare frames in the series would be the ones driven by the knights themselves. Like the white knight one or the ones the other knights drove. I also appreciate that they brought back melee fighting in the series. I feel like mecha can stray from such a simple concept. Who cares if a gun is more practical. Its about style not substance.
>>
File: 1425034066693.gif (1MB, 172x162px) Image search: [Google]
1425034066693.gif
1MB, 172x162px
>>15094624
>forgetting that one of the soul reasons for mecha in the first place is to move toys and other merchandise.
>>
>>15094590
Not him, but still better than the majority of IBO.
>>
>>15094590
The art might be lacking but the movement and action is still nice and 3d. IBO wished it looked this good.
>>
>>15094670
I think it helps that the mechs aren't that detailed in Geass so the differences aren't as jarring.
>>
>>15094462
>But why is that necessarily a bad thing? The escalation of warfare in Code Geass is a pretty straightforward plot construction that's meant to reflect how the stakes are being raised.
Because nothing about the tech advancement makes any fucking sense, it's the same criticism people had about S-Destiny and it's toyetic tech where in just 3 years we suddenly have spammable portable anti-fortress cannons/barriers and sustainable flight packs.

There is maybe a year gap tops between S1 and R2 and we're to believe they've suddenly jumped to fully functional dogfight beam spam, flight packs and multifunctional wings of light AND produced them. When previously they could barely get a energy cannon and hover flight working properly with the user being a flying brick and almost all weapons used were physical contact?

It also leads to less memorable fights and lazier animation, most of the good fights in R2 were like >>15094412 when they couldn't use any of their toys.

There is escalation and then there is pulling shit out of your ass, given most of CG was about pulling shit out of it's ass but they stretch the suspension of disbelief a bit too far.
>>
>>15094412
I liked how they remembered that this was the climax and that they should animate something for once.

>>15094585
Take your time machine and go further in the past, you'll keep getting BTFO harder and harder.
>>
>>15094272
I never watched more than a couple episodes because the writing was horrendous even in the vastly superior first season. This show was and always will be a train wreck but it just so happened to come out at the right time that it became a success due to the many cheap thrills.
>>
>>15094677
Pretty much this.

I wouldn't have complained as I did if it both made sense and it looked good. It just didn't, IMO.

Like the Knights of the Round KFs looked like someone tried to smosh together a KF and a Gundamesque MS from SEED before calling it a day. Their toyetic colouring was fucking awful, compared to the more subdued tones of S1.
Again, Cornelia's mech, the Guren and the Lancelot worked a lot more when their more vibrant colours and outrageous gimmicks were contrasted with the drabness of the assorted mooks. Their more knight-esque stylized bodies had a lot more visual impact when contrasted with the simpler, clearly-a-military-machine
CG may be a picaresque affair, but it did work best when it allowed its more crazy elements to rub shoulders with more grounded ones.
>>
>>15094262
I really watched Code Geass for the mechs!
>>
>>15094590

Even season 1 was alright but R2 went full lazy with beam spam and flight pew pewing almost from the start. Every mech had a flight pack and most of them never used the wheels again.

Them actually having a good final battle with them having them land and roll around and use melee attacks, was a pleasant surprise.
>>
>>15094262
Some of the mecha in Code Geass are actually cool enough, others are either bland or simply not interesting, but I wasn't primarily watching the show for the robots in any case. The good ones are just a bonus.
>>
>>15094262
>implying Shinkirou is bad
>>
>>15094325
I can't speak for you or your interests, but I thought the Lancelot and a few of the main Code Geass mecha were easy enough to remember.
>>
>>15094376
I like the regular backpacks when they're the cockpits for small robots. Not so much the added flight packs.
>>
>>15094416
What can you really do to avoid that though? Gundam goes through the same type of power curve more often than not. Even the people who buy the toys tend to want unique prototypes, not grunt warfare, outside of a small hardcore group.
>>
>>15094590
You may mean that as a criticism, but I thought that sequence (and other parts of the same episode) were nice enough too.
>>
>>15094624
>implying mecha haven't looked like plastic toys ever since the first Mazinger and the first Gundam, decades before Code Geass
>>
>>15094677
Except flight packs (or flight in general, as also seen with the VTOLs, the Gawain and the Siegfried) plus beam weapons already existed during the first season of Code Geass though. It's not a sudden innovation coming out of nowhere. They merely decided to expand and invest more resources in them, in-universe, after seeing the clear success of the Lancelot.

That said, I do think most of the R2 fights, with perhaps a small handful of examples as an exception, were less interesting to watch as a result.
>>
>>15094351
>name it after a knight wholly associated with the sun
>make it primarily black
>name it after a knight whose main legend involved tanking shit and being a badass overall
>it sucks at combat

why did they do this
>>
>>15095706

But it was at the time the only mech that could fly, thus making it the closest mech to the sun.
>>
>>15094376
Mechs were fucking terrible, but the animation was amazing so it made up for it.
>>
>>15095706
It's not that the Gawain sucks at combat. It's that Lelouch does. The thing is basically a floating beam cannon in case you forgot.
>>
File: Gawain gets fucked.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Gawain gets fucked.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>15095842
Pretty much this. Although Lelouch is a schemer, not a fighter, which is why he still won in the end.
>>
>>15094262
I did, I liked Lelouch's antics too, but the only reason I even cared to look at the show was the mecha
>>
File: shen hu.webm (3MB, 840x472px) Image search: [Google]
shen hu.webm
3MB, 840x472px
underrated
>>
>>15095842
But Lelouch didn't pilot the Gawain, CC did.
>>
>>15094590
Maybe I'm being nostalgic but that looks incredible.
>>
File: Knightmare Rollerballl.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Knightmare Rollerballl.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>15096859
One thing I loved about the knightmares was how mobile and agile they were. It's the polar opposite of something like the Gouf fight in 8th MS Team where all the mechs were slow-moving hulks the size of buildings, which never really clicked with me.

Knightmare combat would make a great video game.
>>
File: Code Geass Case;IRVINE.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Code Geass Case;IRVINE.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>15096955
>missing_the_entire_point_of_votoms.webm
DUDE
HALF
PIPE
TRICKS
>>
File: Code Geass Case;IRVINE 2.webm (3MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
Code Geass Case;IRVINE 2.webm
3MB, 852x480px
>>15096963
>>
File: white devil.webm (3MB, 840x468px) Image search: [Google]
white devil.webm
3MB, 840x468px
How many "I don't have time for this shit, I'll just kill everyone" moments will Suzaku have in R3?
>>
cg is about keikaku and bad politics and wacky asspulls. the worst parts of the show was when someone got an upgrade and they had to wreck a bunch of generation 45 mechs with their infinitely better generation 46 to prove it.
>>
>>15096995
Hopefully a few.
>>
>>15097020
I liked the original Lancelot launch, beyond that it was obnoxious.
>>
>>15094624
>toys from a toy commercial look like toys
>that's somehow a bad thing
>>
>>15096995
Goddamn! I forgot how badass Suzaku can be because of his retarded political ideology.
>>
>>15096920
>
Knightmare combat would make a great video game.
So the PS2 Votoms game?
>>
>>15097020
Every show does this, really
The only show I can think of where someone got an upgrade or new form in the middle of battle and still didn't win is Digimon Frontier

Izumi really was pathetic
>>
>>15096955
is dat sum heavygear anime?
>>
>>15096963

It's a combat arena, not the pitiless forests of Uodoo. I think some flair is permissible.
>>
>>15097915
Sup Suzakurager
>>
>>15096963
Considering these are specific machines made for sport, not for war, being flashy is natural.
>>
File: Lancelot Albion rampage.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lancelot Albion rampage.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>15097915
>retarded political ideology

I mean, he was influential enough that he came pretty damn close to achieving an actual worthwhile peace in area 11. Then Lelouch fucked it all up when he Geass'd Euphie.
>>
>>15095159

The tech existed, but it was all in its early stages and had massive downsides.

Remember when the Lancelot using its flight pack drained its battery like a motherfucker, and nearly got Suzaku killed because he could only fight in it for like an hour and it pooped out on him in the middle of a fight until Lelouch had to come to his rescue with extra batteries?

Cut to a year later, and not only are there now tens of thousands of these flight packs, but they are absolutely perfect and never run out of power and have no downsides.

Thats not how anything works.
>>
>>15099451
World peace? That plan would've essentially just give 11s a small neighborhood where they're not discriminated anymore.
>>
>>15099451
Thing is, I don't recall anything that suggests the Suzaku was important to the creation of the SAZ.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed to be Euphie's idea entirely
>>
>>15099451
>>15100010
Suzaku's thing was he was supposed to be this retardedly unstoppable force of nature/genocidal maniac.

His behaviour throughout the series showed sociopathic tendencies it amounts to kill everyone who doesn't agree with him.
>>
>>15100010
>>Thing is, I don't recall anything that suggests the Suzaku was important to the creation of the SAZ.
The only reason why Japs even gave it a time of day was because they saw that it had the endorsement of the first Japanese Knight of the Britannian Army
>>
File: I give up.gif (2MB, 400x336px) Image search: [Google]
I give up.gif
2MB, 400x336px
>>15100035
Oh look another retard
>>
The characters and story is what makes mechas themselves great in my opinion.
>>
>>15094262
>I watched Code Geass for the memes
JIBUN WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>15094262
Pretty much
>>
>>15095910
Not only that but since Lelouch always goes full retard around his brothers and sisters he wasn't trying to obliterate her right then and there, he first wanted to talk with her or some shit
>>
>>15094272
Very true
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.