[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if all the Guntanks in OYW are replaced with REX?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: Rex_sit.jpg (75KB, 800x553px) Image search: [Google]
Rex_sit.jpg
75KB, 800x553px
What if all the Guntanks in OYW are replaced with REX?
>>
>>15091854
The OYW wouldn't have been a OYW.
>>
>>15091854
ID-Tagged gundamus carrying ID-Tagged beam rifles
>>
>Muh Antarctic Treaty
>>
>>15091933
You can replace the nukeshot with ordinary slugs btw
>>
>>15092022
Yeah, but during OYW no long range detection systems work, so an extreme long range precision hit weapon will go to waste.
>>
>>15091854
>REX height: 13m
>Guntank height: 15m
Manlet mech.

>2x 30 mm XGAU-8R rotary cannons
Useless. About the kind of guns you'd see on a Core Fighter. The Guntank's bop missiles are more potent.

>AGM-114P anti-tank missiles
They're guided by lasers, so they probably wouldn't get fucked by minovsky particles. So that's a plus.

>~100 MW free-electron laser
That's a lot of fucking power. The RX-78-2's generator only puts out about 1.3 MW. The Big Zam's four reactors put out 140 MW.

>Railgun
Useless, because:

>Radome
Given how small it is relative to REX's overall size, and how large radomes needed to be to be effective a decade after the OYW, I don't think it'll work too well. Plus, if it gets hit, REX doesn't have any backup cameras, so the cockpit would need to be opened. At that point, it's game over (not that it matters too much - a heat hawk could probably deal with the closed cockpit, especially considering how it protrudes)

>Agility
At base, minimal. It's an artillery platform, after all. With the Street Fighter program, better, but still not too incredible compared to, say, a Zaku.

>Durability
Considering how much damage Stinger missiles could do to it, using vulcans would be enough to render the radome inoperable. Zeonic mega particle or beam weapons might be enough to damage REX itself as well.

If the Federation could take tech from REX to produce generators for mobile suits, they'd have a fucking crazy advantage over Zeon. Imagine mobile suits running around with the generator output of 10 RX-78s, or 3 RX-0s.
Aside from that, REX would be totally useless in the OYW.
>>
>>15091854
anyone have the MG guntank and the 1/100 koto rex to show next to each other?
>>
File: a hind d.png (140KB, 540x645px) Image search: [Google]
a hind d.png
140KB, 540x645px
Guntanks?
>>
>>15092125
>That's a lot of fucking power. The RX-78-2's generator only puts out about 1.3 MW. The Big Zam's four reactors put out 140 MW.

All that thanks to Tomino's being shit at electroenginering
>>
>>15091854
It becomes Xamel but with less "N-nani!" and more NUCLEAR
>>
>>15092125
It'd still be more practical than the guntank, it could do mech things that the guntank can't, while being a smaller target.

The 30MM cannons would be useful against basically every non-MS vehicle, especially aircraft, even tanks would take tons of damage from them dispite the autocannons lacking the power to pierce the crew compartment, they could destroy the gun barrel, break the tracks, destroy sensors, pierce engine vents, etc.

Replace the anti-tank missiles with wire guided ones(those work in OYW don't they? I remember them being used in MS Igloo), and give it a camera package so it doesn't require the radome.

Also give it some basic arms dangling from the bottom of the "head"
>>
>>15092229
I'm not so sure. REX is more maneuverable than the Guntank, but I think the Guntank's lunar titanium armor gives it an edge durability-wise.

>Replace the anti-tank missiles with wire guided ones(those work in OYW don't they? I remember them being used in MS Igloo), and give it a camera package so it doesn't require the radome.
Yeah, the Blue Destiny units have wire-guided missiles too IIRC, but REX's missiles don't rely on radio frequencies, so they'd probably be just fine as-is.

The thing is, REX just wasn't designed for mech-to-mech combat. It was just meant to deliver warheads across long distances while being able to fend off conventional forces. Going up against Zeon is the nightmare scenario for REX.
>>
I'm under the impression that REX would be more of an instigator than a combatant.

Use the Railgun and Stealth Nukes to hit enemy bases and facilities instead of individual units. In everything from Gundam to Battletech, trying to find out WHO used it would be the first problem.
>>
>>15092578
So it's a Xamel?
>>
>>15092194
Mobile Suits, huh?
>we will never get a Gundam or /m/-related show with a Solid Snake-esque protag instead of the usual boring fujofag
>>
>>15092578
That does remind me of something. REX was designed (by Otacon at least) to be able to shoot down satellites in space. Maybe the Federation could use it for ultra long-range strikes? Far enough away that minovsky particles won't fuck with the sensors.
>>
>>15094282
>Snake! You have to destroy the Big Zam prototype before it can be put into mass production!
>>
>>15094758
Yeah, you could totally milk an arc out of Zeon stealing ~10 of them and threatening warship launches hard.
>>
>>15094282
Sousuke is pretty Solid in general.
>>
>>15091900
Char: War, War has changed

I need to put a char mask over solid snake and don't have any imagine editing software at work.
>>
>>15092125
I think the laser needs a capacitor to run properly.
>>
>>15091854
REX should be outfitted with a Psycommu system
>>
File: Solid Setsuna.jpg (127KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Solid Setsuna.jpg
127KB, 1280x720px
>>15094282
At least Setsuna did an infiltration mission in season 2.
>>
>>15094282

How about Mellowlink?

he's pretty sneeki breeki
>>
File: 173769_0.jpg (4KB, 192x144px) Image search: [Google]
173769_0.jpg
4KB, 192x144px
>>15094897
>Look out, Snake. That's the Big Zam. It's one of Zeon's latest mobile armors. It boasts tremendous firepower and even has a built in I-field. That means beam weapons will bounce right off of it. You'll have to get up close and take it out with explosives or maybe a beam saber, but watch out for its short range defenses!
>>
>>15094282
The old Gatchaman team did infiltration stuff from time to time. Hell, Junpei even got to blow up a Galactor base by himself.
>>
>>15097939
He also fought Guntank expy when he was a kid.
>>
Better Question- what if the Mobile Workers in IBO were replaced with REX?
>>
>>15097939

Literally one of the best season 2 opening episodes ever, of any medium.
>>
>>15097992
His motivations are a bit too too personal to be Snake, but he might be the closest. The final showdown of Mellowlink could be straight out of a MGS, too.

I think another candidate is Geist, oddly enough. He could be thought of as a much happier, less worried Snake: a perfect soldier, but this time in a world where endless war is possible and accepted, and with no strings to tie him down.
>>
>>15101521
wew lad
>>
>>15101568
He's right and you know it.

Stop forcing the "00 S2 is bad" meme.
>>
>>15092194
can he take down Big Zam with chaff and stinger missile
>>
>>15101521
Wish they did more infiltration in that show. Setsuna was pretty badass.
>>
>>15092125
B-but REX is heavily armored so that it can ram anything.
>>
>>15091854
And RX-78-2 is GP02
>>
>>15092071
Long range detection systems work as long as Minovsky Particle Interference isn't being purposefully spread as a fog of war tactic.

It's more of a fleet-battle problem and not a ballistics problem - shielding a geographical area to "prevent an ICBM strike" isn't going to stop it from happening.
>>
File: 1233772744229.jpg (256KB, 1022x575px) Image search: [Google]
1233772744229.jpg
256KB, 1022x575px
>>15097939
I feel old now.
>>
>>15092125
You leave out that Rex fires ICBMs and doesn't need to be anywhere near the Guntank to hit it under the assumption that minovsky particles blind GPS targeting... which is not the case - satellite imagery would definitely be able to make out something as big as a Guntank.

... Wait, why are we on about Guntank VS Rex? Wasn't OP's question about how the OYW would have worked differently?
>>
>>15091854
so ray is gundam?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.