[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who designed the characters in M.A.S.K.?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: mask-team.jpg (380KB, 1046x896px) Image search: [Google]
mask-team.jpg
380KB, 1046x896px
man the 80s were certainly the time for /m/ western cartoons. the plots were crap but shit was deliciously /m/.

I really love the designs on M.A.S.K. they have such a lovely chunky 80s robo feel. fuck I'd be interested in the power rangers movie if it looked like this. but I can't find who the fuck designed it.

tl;dr M.A.S.K. thread
>>
>>15086961
I loved the opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgV-xWPECLc
>>
>>15086961

I don't know that plot is the right description, but I loved how crazy the...setup maybe, for a lot of shows in that email were. They just mixed a lot of shit together to make something completely stupid sounding, but the basic premise is fantastic a lot of the time.

Like, M.A.S.K. was okay in that it had a team of transforming vehicles driven by a variety of professionals (rock stars, mechanics etc) who all wore helmets that gave them super powers, but then you get shit like Jake and the Wheeled Warriors which is a sci-fi show about people driving various vehicles that could hot swap weapons in battle against plant aliens ruled by a buzzsaw guy to find the lead's father with magic thrown in the mix for good measure.

Today's shows feel rather tame by comparison, with much more straightforward premises. Premise is probably the best word really. I love how balls out crazy a lot of those shows were in premise if not execution, all because the toy companies were being so demanding by my understanding. Bravestarr, Bots Master, Centurions, Visionaries - there were some weird and wild shows in them days.
>>
>>15087355
>Bots Master
I still can't believe that kid was voiced by dub Heero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yae0jXr2xyM
>>
>>15086976
I know they don't release series such as M.A.S.K., Thundercats, Silverhawks, Centurions, Bravestarr and so many others in BluRay.
But how would I wish someone released a BluRay of just the openings at least. At the end, they were the coolest part of those cartoons.
>>
DC's M.A.S.K. comics were way better than the cartoon. IDW's current take isn't bad either, though it's tied to all the other Hasbro toy comics, so it's not pure 80s style M.A.S.K.
>>
File: NfMsx.jpg (61KB, 840x827px) Image search: [Google]
NfMsx.jpg
61KB, 840x827px
>>15087723
I'd love a Bluray release of Galaxy Rangers. It was still very childish but I loved the continuity with planets, characters and storylines.

>>15087385
>Directed by Xavier Picard.
>>
>>15088207
I think Galaxy Rangers held up much better than just about anything else from the 80s.
>>
>>15089052
Its writers were both smart and gave a damn, allocating different animation teams to the appropriate episodes, so that helps.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A

Comfy too, with edgy vehicles.
>>
>>15088207
A BluRay of essential chapters would be fine too.
For instance, in the Thundercats it's pretty obvious: the origin, Grune, Lion-O's trials, when the new Thundercats arrive and a few others.
If there aren't as much chapters important to the plot, for instance like in M.A.S.K.'s case, then at least a selection of the best ones, specially those that have a few cool minutes of animation.
But what I truly resent is being unable to enjoy muh cartoons intro in full HD.
>>
>>15088207
>I'd love a Bluray release of Galaxy Rangers. It was still very childish but I loved the continuity with planets, characters and storylines.

Galaxy Ranger was kind of odd when I watched it last year. You'd go from an episode about fucking Giant Marshmellows to one where a main character's cyborg arm is possessed by an evil program, builds a new robot body and starts ejecting redshirts out of airlocks. It's like it kind of wanted to be a more serious sci-fi show but still wanted to have silly, kiddie stuff.

Also, was Galaxy Rangers one of the first American made cartoons to have explicit onscreen deaths? Aside from the aforementioned redshirts getting ejected out of an airlock, there were several times when friendly ships and fighters get blown up onscreen without the usual 'they were only crewed by robots' or 'I can see their parachutes' handwaves.
>>
>>15089052
The first two seasons of The Real Ghostbusters were about on part imo.
>>
>>15086961
Supposedly they are making a hollywood film.
>>
>>15088207
Galaxy Rangers was actually pretty good and doesn't fall apart completely like other cartoons.

Visionaries also has an overall plot that isn't a complete mess but most of the episodes end with the villains being absolute fucking retards and screwing themselves in "humorous" fashion.
>>
>>15090286
In the staff's defense, even they hated the comic relief robot (some of the writers, anyway) and couldn't kill him off, so they probably had to cater to network/exec demands.

>>15090406
Meanwhile, Bravestarr had the sheer balls to have an episode about drugs that shows the consequences, if nothing else.
>>
>>15086961
mask should been high budget tv series
>>
>>15089052
>>15090286
>>15090406
Yeah, I said 'childish' because there was still a lot of elements from saturday morning cartoons, but then we had those episodes with Gus's old super-soldier pals, or the Scarecrow.
>>
>>15087355
I love Centurions because it felt like what you would watch on primetime in the 80s. Just over the top dumb fun.

It's a fun show with a fun toyline that I wish would get a reboot but I know they'll botch it is they do with MUH REALISM
>>
>>15093439
Centurions could eventually to be part of the Hasbro Cinematic Universe, but I think that we'll just get a new G.I. Joe and maybe M.A.S.K. before it fizzles out.
>>
Speaking of 89's toons, anyone here remember Starcom? It was essentially G.I. Joe in space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKZfwih-3dM
>>
>>15087723
>>15086976
There's an interesting story there.
You know who has rights to the opening songs of all those classic good 80s shows? Haim Saban and Shuki Levy.

Back in the 80s, Saban and Shuki Levy offered to do the music for TV shows for free in exchange for a cut of the license and rights to the songs forever. So whenever you hear the Inspector Gadget theme, or the MASK theme, or so on, Saban's getting his pockets lined. He's nothing if not a smart businessman.
>>
>>15097980
Well, they should be the ones making that Bluray then. What better publicity for songs that are over 30 years old than releasing them with full quality to make them relevant again?
>>
>>15093439
I've read somewhere that a few actual science fiction writers (I mean serious literature) worked on the scripts of some Centurions episodes. I don't know how much of truth there were there.
>>
>>15098604
It also seems that they had Jack Kirby as a concept artist. JACK. KIRBY.
>>
>>15086961
Shinji Aramaki. He also did work on Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Pole Position, an StarCom among others. Studie Nue folks worked on Ulysses 31.
>>
>>15098678
Yet the designs of the enemies were hideous. I think that if you had some cool sympathetic enemies in that cartoon it would've had much more success.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.