[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things to do in Tokyo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

File: when kamille is a mans name.png (164KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
when kamille is a mans name.png
164KB, 500x492px
Hey there, /m/. I'm planning a trip to Tokyo in March, and I'm looking to compile a list of must see, must do stuff for a traveling /m/an.

Gundam Cafe is on the list. Sadly it sounds like they're going to disassemble that giant Gundam statue a mere THREE DAYS before I land, but I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from. Suggestions?

Also, while I'm there, if /m/ wants me to check out any locations and report back, I'm willing.
>>
File: 713_1d18147d54_jpg.jpg (397KB, 562x800px) Image search: [Google]
713_1d18147d54_jpg.jpg
397KB, 562x800px
Attend a kigurumi show and tell us how it was. DO IT!
>>
>>15083844
Ask if IBO is failing or not, the answer is obviously yes, but we need more confirmation for the inet hiveminds at ANN, Anime Suki, and Mcha Talk
>>
Akihabara is your go to place
You'll find shops and arcades up the ass that'll cater to you as a tourist
The food at Gundam cafe is mid tier. Youread better off eating at authentic Japanese restaurants, but the cafe experience is fine. Take plenty of money for cafe exclusive merch.
If you have the time and money, take the trains to Osaka, specifically the Expo mall. There's the other Gundam Cafe with the statue of the Gundam fighting the Zaku.
>>
>>15084079
>inept
>>
>>15084079
Going by the merch sales I saw while in osaka, I can safely assure you that it is not failing.
>>
>>15084073
Don't do it OP, you'll fucking die.
>>
>>15084085
Here in America it is selling like ass if the sales in my Barnes and Noble are any indication. Hmm
>>
>>15084079
I'll take note of any bargain bins or price slashes while I'm browsing stores.

By March, I think it'll be off air, tho... so it might not be the best objective marker... though I'm sure I can find some good troll bait images of IBO shit being pitched.
>>
>>15084073
...that amn't metal.
>>
>>15084095
>Barnes and Noble
I mean really
>>
File: how it should have ended.png (814KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
how it should have ended.png
814KB, 1024x819px
Tell Futaba America gundam fans don't like IBO either/our anime news sources have serious and obvious bias problems with G-Reco and IBO.
>>
>>15084095
>This gundam model kit isn't selling so well in my local book store
>It's failing in America
>>
>>15084109
Strike Freedom sold, IBO kits didn't, makes you think.
>>
>>15084114
> he thinks anyone cares about American fans
Kek
>>
>>15084117
>does well in one Osaka store
>does well everywhere
>>
File: uwat.png (993KB, 1356x766px) Image search: [Google]
uwat.png
993KB, 1356x766px
>Anon asks what cool stuff there is to do in Tokyo.
>/m/ asks that he spend his time to prove IBO isn't popular, because we need more ammo for Gundam trolling.

Enjoy your vacation!
>>
File: anime power level chart.jpg (3MB, 2958x2270px) Image search: [Google]
anime power level chart.jpg
3MB, 2958x2270px
share this with an imageboard
>>
>>15083844
Buy us a souvenier
>>
tell 'em only art snobs like ConRevo here too
>>
File: my spirit animals.png (1MB, 814x726px) Image search: [Google]
my spirit animals.png
1MB, 814x726px
>>15083844
>>
http://kaiju-sakaba.com/
>>
>>15083844
Go to Tsukishima and eat monjayaki.

Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building (also the citadel from FFXV) has an observation deck you can get in for free.

Even though the Gundam statue will be gone Odaiba is still a decent enough tourist spot. Just malls, though.

The standard shrine tourist spots are Asakusa and Meiji Jinguu. Toss in Kanda Myoujin if you're going to Akihabara because it's a short walk. Bonus points if you like Love Live because of all the Love Live shit there, still hilarious if you don't like it because of all the Love Live shit in a religious fucking shrine.

Don't fucking bother with the Gundam Cafe it's garbage.

Akihabara is standard but you can find more rare and niche shit in Nakano Broadway.
>>
>>15086043
Also if you're in to nature shit you can go climb a mountain, Takao-san. Forgot how much the train ride is but it's something like $5, Keio line from Shinjuku station.

There's an easy "take a cable car halfway up and walk up a bunch of stairs" route and an actual hiking route.
>>
File: kigurumiphotos_aa2c82db3d.jpg (26KB, 480x282px) Image search: [Google]
kigurumiphotos_aa2c82db3d.jpg
26KB, 480x282px
>>15084101
DO IT! You won't regret it.
>>
>>15086161
I already regret it, just from seeing those photos.
>>
File: Capture.png (57KB, 821x182px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
57KB, 821x182px
>>15086030
>Forbidden Words Salad
>>
>>15086161
>>15084073
Fuck off /jp/
>>
File: fd1a643e.jpg (380KB, 2177x2903px) Image search: [Google]
fd1a643e.jpg
380KB, 2177x2903px
>>15086383
>precure kigurumi
>jp
Wee lad.
>>
If you can, travel outside Tokyo too. There's a life size Tetsujin 28 in Kobe and personally I prefer Osaka's Den Den Town to both Akihabara and Nakano Broadway. And on non-nerdy side of things, Kyoto and Nara are both worth visiting if you're into Japan's history at all.
>>
>>15086711
I'd love to see more of the country, but with time and budget in consideration, I'm probably going to need to stay close to Tokyo and the outlying cities.
Thanks for the recomendations, tho!
>>
>>15083844
Bring back some doujins
>>
>>15086782
Akihabara is the go to, of course. Be sure to go off the main street, lots of stuff on the smaller side roads (Kotobukiya's got a shop tucked back a road).
Ikebukuro has some good spots, but mostly focused towards female otaku.

You can get to places like Yokohama and Chiba in 30-45 min by train for cheap.

Be sure to look up. What looks like a suspicious little alcove is probably a stairway to some nice shop with little to no obvious signage at ground level. (Amiami's storefront in Akihabara is up a stairwell that would double for seedy action moving killing scene for example).

For some non-mecha related stuff, Nikko is reachable from Tokyo for around $50 if you pick up a Tobu pass (you can order it online ahead of time), and it's only a couple of hours away. Tokugawa's burial shrine's there, some good general scenery spots.

Take a decent dictionary app if you're not particularly reading proficient, some of the best deals you'll find are for "used" goods, which actually are usually just damaged boxes, often super minor stuff like "corner scuffed". But you'll want to check the labels to be sure it's not marked for missing parts or something.

Yellow Submarine in the Radio Kaikan building in Akihabara sells a random selection of gunpla parts, by body part, still on sprue. (usually it's both legs, both arms, torso, head). Other shops will do similar things for figures.

Several sort of Big name stores will have hobby sections, the Yodobashi Camera building in Akihabara usually has stuff for 10-15% off list price, and is marked including tax. Big selection, and a good spot to hunt for gunpla that manages to be "sold out" online.
>>
>>15084073
Jesus Christ those look like they walked straight out of my nightmares.
>>
>>15083844
I went to Tokyo back in 2014 and i can confirm that like >>15086043 says the gundam cafe is kind of disappointing.

However, in the venu of /m/ themed eateries there is one i went to that ways actually pretty bitching.

KAMEN RIDER THE DINER

https://www.paselabo.tv/rider/

they actually have real food there, I got a Fourze cozmic power soda and a den-o steak. both were fantastic

Also they have Ichigo's costume and bike, along with the machine spader when I went.
and there's a big shocker throne in the dining room you can pose on along with a cape.
they have like every rider toy ever in display cases around the restaurant and play all the rider openings on a loop on a big screen on one of the walls for the ambient BGM.

Highly recommend you make a trip out there it's a blast. especially if you go in with fellow rider fans.
>>
>>15087722
I've heard good things about the steakhouse run by the guy who played KR Black/RX
>>
>>15084095
Across the the chain, IBO kits are top selling Gundam kits at B&N. We can't supply them enough. Which store do you work at, I'd be happy to take those and send it to another store that's completely wiped because their computer can't seem to get them the correct allocation.
>>
>>15083844
I spend a semester abroad.
In tokyo...
-a half day in Odaiba is cool
-Shibuya is pretty fun if you've got money to blow and there's a nice little mandarake
-hit up a Yodabashi Camera for gunpla heaven
-Akihabara was fun to walk around and there's some cool models on display in some of the shops
-there's a mandarake but it's not as good as the Fukuoka location in terms of Gunpla,
-there's kotoyabukia store that's got some good model kits
-there's a gundam cafe in the tokyo train station basement
-another gundam cafe in akihabara. Make sure to try those creme filled pastery things for 200 yen

But my favorite gunpla related place was in Osaka. There's this shop that has a gundam fist punching through a wall. Don't know the name off the top of my head, but it had the best selection at the cheapest prices, plus it was on a line of small shops that sold anime stuff with a lot of gundam stuff thrown in.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.