[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does every Tomino show always have such weird dialogue?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 5

File: 1373094884908.jpg (52KB, 488x683px) Image search: [Google]
1373094884908.jpg
52KB, 488x683px
Why does every Tomino show always have such weird dialogue?
>>
Because the world is not square.
>>
File: 1465071719173.jpg (152KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465071719173.jpg
152KB, 640x720px
>mfw I usually find Tomino's dialogue sensible while I find other anime dialogue stymied and unnatural
>>
File: shrug.png (16KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.png
16KB, 560x407px
He's a weird writer, at least compared to other anime. I don't think it seems that unnatural.
>>
>>15071469
So Tomino dialogue sounds natural to you?
>>
>>15071482

That was what the post implied yes.
>>
Because changing how people converse is another effort put into world building. You can't expect people in the far future or in other worlds to speak as we do. He's a crazy genius.
>>
Honestly, it's the subs that fuck up the dialogue. The actual verbage is a bit flowery, yes, but it's more in an attempt it give other worlds a personality separate to our own, since it doesn't make sense for most of the worlds he designs to have our kind of thoughts, phrases, and all that.
>>
>>15071553
>since it doesn't make sense for most of the worlds he designs to have our kind of thoughts, phrases, and all that.

The problem is you have to be VERY careful with that. For every made-up expletive that works, there were 100 attempts that are smerp-frakking widderwise.

If you want to convey something that makes perfect sense in plain language, dressing it up in something else is usually just obscuring information needlessly. Do it too much, and people stop focusing on what you are saying and start focusing on how you are saying it.

Was there supposed to be some kind of actual meaning to 'the world is not square'? No idea. We'll never find out, because it was said in the most obtuse way possible and now the fact that its so obtuse is what the line is known for, rather than whatever it was supposed to mean to the viewer in any kind of context.

Thats a failure in writing, no two ways about it.
>>
File: Bellri civilian suit.jpg (130KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Bellri civilian suit.jpg
130KB, 1200x675px
>>15071469
I get what you mean. Despite it sounding crazy Tomino dialog nails that feeling of when you're trying to talk and someone interrupts you, or accidentally hearing in on someone's conversation.

There's also this anon's thing >>15071528 which I think is a big factor in turning people off in shows like Reco, turn A, and King gainer.

Tomino often comes up with a lot of in-world lore and stuff that gets dropped into conversations naturally by the characters instead of being told to the viewer through awkward "what you didn't know about this plot point!?" conversations.
That's not to say he doesn't write those awkward "what you didn't know about this plot point!?" conversations, but he does it way less frequently than most.

I think a great example of his writing style was shown in one scene in particular in G-reco.

Bellri is getting info on the assault pack and goes >"what!! Assault means to attack someone?!"
It's a really good way to showcase just how far in the future we are in the story, and how much culture, language, and context have changed.

So to some things up, I'd say that Tomino is good at world-building conceptually, but he uses unconventional means of writing and visual presentation to get his points across.
>>
>>15071469
After I watched G-Reco I have trouble with other anime. The exposition sticks out more and makes the dialogue less life-like.
>>
>>15071394
>Weird dialogue
You mean shit dialogue.
>>
Nobody speaks like Tomino characters.

/m/ always says people on real life speak like Tomino, but no, that's not the case. There's no repitition and long-winded rambling.
>>
>>15071670
Literally this.

Why can't people admit that Tomino is just bad at it?
>>
>>15071674
/m/ is just Tomino's cockwhore.
>>
>>15071670
I wouldn't say they speak like real life people, but the context in which they usually speak in reflects their reality in a natural way.
>>
>>15071691
In that sense, every dialogue is excused because they happen in different reality.
>>
>>15071615
Why do people keep on bringing up this stupid "the world is not square" meme. Is a metaphor that hard to understand? Tomino dialogue has nothing to do with "smerp-frakking widderwise".
It's just super compressed. It's kind of weird but it creates a sort of real-time kind of feel. In real-time you don't really have the luxury to be able to appraise immediately the situation you are in, there is nobody to concisely give you all the information you need to know, you don't have the time to think too hard on what other people are trying to say and formulate the most appropriate reply.
A quick guide to how to write Tomino dialogue would be something like:
1.Write out a long thoughtful conversation loaded with information and emotional content
2.Ask yourself "How can I say this with less words?"
3.Repeat step 2 until there are only two sentences left.
>>
>>15071707
Read what you write.

Real-time feel?

You are speaking like Tomino now.
>>
>>15071704
That's not what I meant.

I'm probably horrible at conveying this without going into a long post, but basically what I said at the end of here>>15071640 using the assault pack example.

It's like the way characters verbally react to certain stimuli seems fit for those situations is what I'm trying to say.
>>
>>15071712
You are basically like Tomino, you can't convey yourself very well, that's why you write nonsensical shit to convey your idea, and you think that's how people speak.

Speak to more people.
>>
>>15071709
Basically anon's trying to say that Tomino dialogue is what happens when you're in a conversation, but you're not sure how to properly carry on and express yourself briefly so you say a somewhat coherent sentence in hopes of getting a concept across.
>>
>>15071716
Except real people would just go on to explain or use simpler concept to get their ideas express.

They do not just write their ideas down, compress it and turn it into a nonsensical phrase like "real-time feel".
>>
>>15071714
>you think that's how people speak.
I didn't say that was how I thought people speak, I'm saying that in context of that fictional world's history, lore, and setting, the reactions that certain characters have in particular scenes are "realistic".

Bellri's language doesn't have the word "assault" in it, so when he learns of it he reacts as he does.
>>
>>15071723
Except you can't use your standard of realism to apply on a different reality.

>Bellri's language doesn't have the word "assault" in it, so when he learns of it he reacts as he does.
Does the show spend some episodes of Bellri taking classes to learn a different language?
>>
...It's because you damned adults don't understand!
>>
>>15071734
Kids don't watch Tomino shows.

It's women.
>>
>>15071726
>Except you can't use your standard of realism to apply on a different reality.
I didn't think I was using my standard of realism, was I?

No, iirc when the G-self first gains the assault pack he has to install some software for it.

While doing so he sees the word "Assault" in the manual, he then asks about what this word means, and I think he refers to either the technician or some other part of the manual to find the definition.

this leads to him exclaiming "What, assault means to attack someone?!"

It's a quick 5-7 second scene, but it always stuck out to me while watching G-reco.
I just liked how it adds a little bit of world-building through something so mundane.

It did well to show how distant in the future we are, or how fucked over humanity must've been for assault to become such an uncommon word.
>>
>>15071741
You were saying "in a natural way", it's an appeal to nature, the realism of our current world
>>
>>15071744
no, when I said that I meant natural as in their world.

that's why I said "reflects their reality in a natural way." and went on to add "in context of that fictional world's history, lore, and setting" in the other post
>>
>>15071753
How can you know what's natural in their world?
>>
>>15071741
I think you're going too far. If the word 'assault' wasn't part of their language, then it wouldn't be in the name of the pack, the sofware and the manual. It's just a funny scene: Bellri found something he didn't expect and was surprised. It's perfectly normal.
>>
>>15071756
I see what you mean now, but even if I use my understanding of reality then that scene still works.

It would be no different then say, an English speaking kid getting into a mech and seeing a word in greek or latin, and then reacting with "what!? this word means this!?"

>>15071757
>If the word 'assault' wasn't part of their language, then it wouldn't be in the name of the pack, the sofware and the manual
But weren't they getting the blueprints from ancient post UC records?
>>
>>15071770
An English-speaking kid would react differently than Bellri.

He wouldn't say it out loud, or would say it in a joking manner.
>>
>>15071775
I'm not too sure, maybe the average one his age would, but there's a few deviations form the norm out there, and Bellri is a newtype after all.
>>
>>15071780
No, it's because the scene is a japanese deadpan humor, and only makes sense as such.

You see the kids react videos on Youtube right? They wouldn't act like Bellri did.
>>
My 4 year old son speaks like Tomino characters.

I believe he might be a genius.
>>
>>15071794
Lie.
>>
The best dialogue-wise /m/ writer is Imagawa.

All of his dialogues are theatrics, which are the best for mech shows.
>>
>>15071615
>Was there supposed to be some kind of actual meaning to 'the world is not square'?

What do you mean? We know exactly what it means. She was calling Bellri out on being a fool who failed to take the third dimension and verticality into account
>>
>>15071798
You know my son?
>>
File: 1409784587870.jpg (51KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1409784587870.jpg
51KB, 960x720px
>>
>>15071816
You mean your wife's son.
>>
>>15071394
We've been over this you retard it's not actually weird you're just so conditioned to unrealistic dialogue from other shows that his throws you off for being so unweird.
>>
>>15072042
Tomino dialogs are not realistic.
>>
>>15072047
Yes it is and you'd know this if you weren't such a fucking baka all the god damn time.
>>
>>15072051
Not even western movies talk like Tomino shows.

Your everday speech has more in common with SoL anime than Tomino shows.
>>
>>15072059
>Not even western movies talk like Tomino shows.

YES BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT REALISTIC LIKE HIS SHOWS ARE YOU STUPID MORON
>>
>>15072062
Ok anon, we are talking right now, are our dialogues realistic?
>>
>>15072066
No we are not talking because this conversation is OVER!
>>
>>15072068
K.
>>
>>15071394
He makes his characters shout out what would otherwise be inner monologues. He's EXTREEEEEME like that.
>>
The weirdest Tomino line I've heard was what Amuro said when Gihren fired the colony laser
>that beam is a light of hatred!
Amuro's expression as he's talking makes it sound way more threatening then it turns out to be and comes off as a weird exaggeration
>>
>>15072368
Amuro probably felt Gihrens intense hatred and the hatred of zeon towards the feds which made him spazz out
>>
>>15072059

You do realize right that most movies, plays and even books actually formalize their language? People speak longer sentences, with more detail, they don't make mistakes and they are usually not interrupted.

It's sensible to do this for the sake of your audience. Tomino doesn't though. Instead his characters will sometimes say what's on their mind (even when its wrong) or say something poorly or fail to define what they are thinking.
>>
>>15072484
Tomino characters do not speak out their mind, because the phrase comes out as unnatural and as already written. And his characters actually don't mispell or make mistakes during speech.

It's just shitty written.
>>
>>15072492
For example this:>>15072368

Really, so what comes off Amuro's mind when he saw Gihren's beam is "light of hatred"?

That shit is more theatric than Shakespear.
>>
>>15072501

It's definitively theatrics. Tomino usually has quite a bit of theatrics in his stories. But he doesn't use formalized language, even though he might use theatrical expressions.
>>
>>15072505
So it's not really realistic then.

And no, he uses formalized languages, his character isn't even vuglar most of the times.

They are just overly polite and speak nonsensical grammatical correct phrases.
>>
>>15071615
>Thats a failure in writing,
tell that to Tolkien and Gene Wolfe fuckboy
>>
>>15072047
Anime dialogue is not realistic, go to Japan for a week or so and you'll see what I mean. you'll also discover that Japanese dub actors aren't much better than western dub actors, if you learn the language with the locals
>>
>>15072545
Not really, their VAs really are better. They have to dub western movies as well, which English actors do not. So of course the Japanese quality is much higher, as there is more demand and they are more professional.
There are also bad VAs though, especially in really cheap anime, but this is very rarely.
>>
>>15071801
"The battlefield isn't flat." You could fucking say "The battlefield isn't flat." and communicate the same statement with much more clarity.
>>
>>15072545
The whole thread is about Tomino dicksucking that his dialogue is "realistic".
>>15072541
There's nothing weird about Tolkien's dialogue.
>>
>>15072665
>>15071801

Didn't she meant that Belri thinking is way too simplistic? Like he see the world in black-and-white.

I don't remember exactly the scene but I also don't remember any dialogue that was hard to understand.

Maybe you people should read book sometime instead of watching anime were the dialogue are very simple because this was a pretty simple metaphore.
>>
>>15071469
No you don't.
>>
>>15072751

Pretty much. Bellri's way of thinking was too rigid and he failed to take verticality into consideration. Or something like that.
>>
>>15072726

>Try to create an echo chamber for an unpopular opinion
>Gets upset when a bunch of people disagree with you
>"W-well you all suck cock anyway!"

Whatever you say sempai
>>
>>15072789
Actually there was an echochamber that Tomino dialog is realistic, I'm trying to tell you it's not.
>>
>>15072792

In what kind of country does calling people "cocksuckers" work as an argumentative technique?
>>
>>15072789
How in the fuck is anyone this delusional?
>>
>>15072807
I think that's approved for debate club in New York City.
>>
>>15072807
In my country, America.
>>
>>15072726
>The whole thread is about Tomino dicksucking that his dialogue is "realistic".
His dialogue is not "realistic". It represents how people think in a "realistic" way. There is a difference.
>>
>>15072807
Almost anywhere in the US outside of Utah
>>
>>15072545
Nah. Jap VA's are better than most Western ones but there are a lot of mediocre Jap VA's too. You're right about anime characters not speaking like real life japanese people though.

Anime characters speak at a rate of a retard attempting to narrate a documentary but with all kinds of nonsensical quirks thrown in.
>>
>>15071469
ooooo arent you smart and a v a n t g a r d e
>>
>>15071801
>>15072751
If you faggots can't agree on what it means then stop acting surprised when it's not crystal clear to anyone else.
>>
>>15071496
I find myself yelling out The Universe every now and then.
>>
>>15073369
That's not even true.

So Amuro saw a giant death beam and what does he say? "it's a light of hatred".

No realistic person thinks like that.
>>
>>15075195

But would a real scotsman?
>>
>>15075197
A real scotsman would say "Aye damn der light be hurting muh haggis".
>>
>>15075195
It most likely means that he feels scared. It's a fairly realistic reaction to a giant death beam.
What would you think about in such a situation?
>>
>>15075239
>It most likely means that he feels scared. It's a fairly realistic reaction to a giant death beam.

You're an autist. There is nothing more to say.
>>
>>15075239
"Holy shit" would be what I would say.
>>
>>15072501
>>15072509
It IS realistic. "That beam is a light of hated!" is dramatic but the concepts "light" and "hatred" are incredibly simple, visceral, 'gut' idea that anyone could understand, and so are easy to reach for when you're reacting in a terrifying moment. The words "light of hatred" clearly express a concept and the emotions associated with it regardless of the strict logic of the sentence.
>>
>>15075505
At this point you are sucking Tomino's dick.

Read what you just write, no fucking person is going to think all that while watching a death beam.

You know those muslims when they see bombs right? They are gonna say "it's the explosion of evil", they are just gonna scream Allahu Ackbar.
>>
>>15075489
I'm not asking what you'd say. I'm asking what you'd think. Your answer implies you'd also be scared. A very appropriate reaction.
>>
>>15075533
Are we getting into autism level here?

Of course I would be scared, the problem is: I wouldn't be saying a "light of hatred".

I wouldn't even think of that shit.
>>
>>15075516
>>15075540
Amuro is a psychic who can feel the hatred of Gihren and the Zeon firing the weapon, as well as the dying people aboard the ships in the beam's path. He's desperately trying to express what's happening to the rest of the crew of White Base, who can only see the glare from the beam's firing and what he manages to come out with is that the beam is a "light of hatred".
>>
>>15075540
It's a metaphor. It's not a realistic thing to say but it describes the emotional state of the character in a more expressive way than a generic "Holy shit!".
For example it would be more realistic if Hamlet said "Gosh, my mom is a bitch!" rather than "Frailty, thy name is woman." but that wouldn't sound nearly as deep and poetic-like. Nevertheless, both express the same realistic emotional state.
>>
>>15075556
So because Amuro is a psychic, therefore what he says is justifies? That justifies a shitload of Tomino (and anime) dialogues in general.

>>15075575
If it's theatric, it's not realistic and not unlike other anime.
>>
>>15075584
Shakespeare's characters are not realistic?
>>
>>15075587
If Shakespear characters are realistic, so are most anime characters, since they are theatrics.
>>
>>15071664
After watching G-Reco I get sudden urges to inform the nearest person of the shape of our planet.
>>
>>15075656
Don't try to evade my question through logical fallacies.
>>
>>15075575

Actually, since Amuro is an emphatic psychic, him saying "it's a light of hatred" might actually be a very literal interpretation of what he's seeing, because he can feel the hate of the man who created the light.
>>
>>15075656
There is no singular, all encompassing style of theatrics. Tomino's dialogue is not naturalistic so it is not realistic in that respect. Any anons claiming that his dialogue is realistic are being semantically clumsy, but I largely agree with the sentiment that his style of writing is more concerned with evoking the psyche of his characters that most other anime. In this respect, comparisons with Shakespeare's approach to characterisation is largely apt, but obviously Shakespearean was writing in a majorly different form and drawing on different theatrical traditions, so the comparison is a pretty broad one.
>>
>>15071714
>Speak to more people.

Will do, after I finish fucking your mom in the ass.
>>
>>15071794
Has he started ranting about adults and their lies yet?
>>
>>15075584
Yes, Amuro being a psychic DOES justify it. He's being overwhelmed by the hatred coming from Gihren and Zeon, so he correctly shouts that it is indeed a light of hatred
>>
>>15075239
Most normal people would say, "Holy shit!"
>>
>>15072545
Nigga what, real life japs talk much more like anime than I ever expected before going. I came back with newfound respect for voice actors in slice of life shows.
>>
>>15081613
Dude, can you bother to actually read the thread?
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.