[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these really that boring or is it just the translation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_3629.jpg (79KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3629.jpg
79KB, 333x499px
Are these really that boring or is it just the translation?
>>
I've heard that the first book is just really boring but it picks up afterwards.
>>
>>15068826
The translation is shit. Speaking as a translator and editor, whoever was in charge of both really fucking dropped the ball for LoGH volume 1. And the shitty art doesn't help.

For example, they mix naval and army terminology when it comes to the space fleet. Even if it's a literal translation, it's a bad choice because it creates a constant dissonance in the reader. They know fleets aren't regiments, especially when the Rosen Ritter are already referred to as a regiment. The terms for the actual ranks are badly translated too, and aren't very clear.

There are far too many sentence breaks, which leads me to believe that they kept all the sentences intact from the original Japanese, rather than doing just a smidge of localization and combining a few of the sentences to make for a better reading experience.

The stiffness in the dialogue is pretty bad too. Again, probably unlocalized from the original Japanese.
>>
>>15068863
> Speaking as a translator and editor, whoever was in charge of both really fucking dropped the ball for LoGH volume 1.

Did it improve in volume 2? The prose in volume 1 was so bad it was unreadable.
>>
>>15068863
It was dry as hell, I didn't continue reading after the beginning history lesson. It was a shame because the OVA is one of my all time favorites.
>>
Vol 1 is okay, but i might be blinded by how hype i was for it. Heard vol 2 was better
>>
>>15069595
I have not bought Volume 2, so I wouldn't know.

They so badly dropped the ball with Volume 1 that I think they killed the series before it even started.
>>
>>15068826
No LotGH just sucks and now that you guys got the actual source material you can realize how ass it is instead of fawning over an anime show you think is for grown ups because fucking nothing happens 99% of the time.
>>
>>15068863
>There are far too many sentence breaks, which leads me to believe that they kept all the sentences intact from the original Japanese, rather than doing just a smidge of localization and combining a few of the sentences to make for a better reading experience.
>The stiffness in the dialogue is pretty bad too. Again, probably unlocalized from the original Japanese.
The shitty thing is there's plenty of retards on this very site that believe this is the proper way to translate and that doing otherwise is "why dubs are bad" (while being totally unaware that Horriblesubs/CR do the same fuckin thing with their subs, as would anybody competent)
Seriously, the gap between what weebs believe is a good translation and what /lit/ knows as a good translation is downright hilarious, considering the elitism.
Some faggot weeb translated these books
>>
>>15070135
>The book sucks therefore the show sucks
>Jurassic Park? Never heard of it lol
>>
>>15069746
It is. Vol 2 and 3 are much better in both content and quality.
>>
>>15070285
Dubs are bad because of bad voice acting, not because of the lines the voice actors are given.
>>
>>15070319
Most dubs haven't been bad in while.

Except the current Pokemon dub. Which is partially because of shitty translation.

Go ahead and be a faggot weeb and scream otherwise.
>>
>>15070285
Why is it that only weebs are eletist for preferring the original directors artistic vision in terms of voice acting? If you said this about any other foreign film it'd be normal.
>>
File: dahnald.webm (965KB, 895x500px) Image search: [Google]
dahnald.webm
965KB, 895x500px
>Everyone in this thread thinking they can do better but don't
Your all a bunch of idiots
>>
>>15070288
Don't you ever put words into my mouth again punk I will fucking end you.
>>
>>15070353

Are only weebs elitist? Most people I know tend to enjoy the original language in a movie, so that audio syncs with the visuals more naturally. Also don't get me started on typecasting when dubbing. Also it seems that most studios that dub try to typecast instead of using actual talent, and not every country has a history of dubbing movies so talent might be scarce or overlooked. (last statement might be a bit elitist but whatever.)
>>
>>15070338
They still are trash compared to the original, and no amount of nostalgia will make a certain dub good or even comparable to the original.
>I-I not a w-weeb I swear I watch dubs like all the cool kids on reddit and /tv/
>>
>>15070338
Just because you can't read subs fast enough doesn't mean dubs are good
>>
File: pretended.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pretended.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>15068826
its an absolute goldmine though
>>
>>15070338
Dubs are bad because they are in American English, which I find abhorrent.
>>
>>15070285
>The shitty thing is there's plenty of retards on this very site that believe this is the proper way to translate and that doing otherwise is "why dubs are bad"
Well, there are proper ways of doing literal translations, and bad ways of doing it. Like, you know, changing musubi to jelly doughnuts. I literally thought that jelly donuts looked like round white triangles for most of my life, until I actually went to a shitty American doughnut chain and saw real jelly donuts.

I don't think it was a weeb who translated it, considering the quality. I think it was either a translator who didn't care, or a translator who loved the source material and was a novice first-timer who is doing the series for cheap and practicing as they translate the series.
>>
>>15070706
What is this from? I feel like watched something with those lines of dialogue recently but I can't recall what it was.
>>
>>15070964
The Orguss OVA from the '90s
>>
>>15068863
I noticed that too, though I wouldn't be as harsh. I think Huddleston (the translator) improves gradually over the course of volumes 2 and 3.
>>
Translation is fine you just have ADHD.

>>15068863
You're a faggot.
>>
As a freelance translator in the industry, I feel the need to point out that many parts are submitted in drafts (at least depending on the company). Therefore, if we go back and revise something later on it is often overlooked or outright ignored. Why? Ask the editors. Not sure what some of the editors do (if anything) once work is passed along. As translators, we're mainly just paid and that is that. Many times we can try and take the extra effort to make things more uniform or provide notes but again, editors ignore things. Plus, that's more work than we are being paid for anyways. Deadlines are deadlines. There's very little communication, honestly. I wouldn't be surprised if the first draft is one they use for layout mockup and then forget where they're editing when it comes time to go to print.

But, what people need to remember though that the translators voice takes time to be established. Volume 1 was probably a very excruciating experience for this translator who may or may not have been familiar with LOGH. Most translators aren't that familiar with the works they are paid for anyways. It's not like there's a queue of things you can choose from. It's take it or be passed up. Sure, they could research things but that doesn't help if you're on the outside looking in. Look at Gundam the Origin (she cited the wiki) and Thunderbolt (messed up technics) by Vertical and Viz. Translated by people who don't know crap about the works they were paid to translate. It was the same for Tokyopop back in the day as well.

Editing can be hit and miss as well. You could have something turned Shakespearean (a la Char in the Origin) when it's not, or end up with gender swapped characters you turn into a joke in later volumes (a la SEED Astray with Tokyopop).

I wouldn't be surprised if LOGH is dropped after Volume 6 anyways. I was told by a couple people at Barnes and Noble that the sales aren't there and Amazon sales don't seem too strong anyways. Maybe that'll change...
>>
OP is an angry autistic manchild. Opinion discarded af.
>>
>>15070600
Theres no room with all the dicks you have in there,fuccboi
>>
>>15071525

>>Gundam the Origin (she cited the wiki)

Wait, there are problems with the Origin's translations?
>>
>>15071525
>was told by a couple people at Barnes and Noble that the sales aren't there and Amazon sales don't seem too strong anyways. Maybe that'll change...
Well I can't find paper copies at my local B&N, and after Book 1 I decided I wouldn't buy the others because of the translation quality. If >>15071175 is right, I might download the epub of V2 and then buy it.

But sometimes these translators just do great jobs right off the bat. I just marathoned all the Vampire Hunter D novels and they're really well done.
>>
File: 1382309227848.jpg (291KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1382309227848.jpg
291KB, 1280x1440px
>>15071633
>>15071525
It's funny when you think that LN translations by Yen Press are actually better than a translation of a proper novel only because otaku are this autistic and would rage and boycott the book if a translator did a sloppy job or didn't bother with proper research.
So I guess autism can be beneficial in certain circumstances.
>>
>>15071621

If you read even a few pages from it you can see how stilted and inaccurate terminology is.

>>15072621

I wouldn't exactly call it that. It's no different than someone reading a novel and watching a movie adaptation and going "well that was different".
>>
>>15070582
>I don't understand the concept of criticism because I am 12 years old
>>
File: who did the maidan.webm (664KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
who did the maidan.webm
664KB, 640x480px
>>15073674
>I don't understand sarcasm
Wee lad
>>
File: tmp_6733-97805202250394749228.jpg (178KB, 455x648px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6733-97805202250394749228.jpg
178KB, 455x648px
>>15068826
Become autistic like me and you'll enjoy reading 200 pages of footnotes in small script. Apply yourself /m/.
>>
>>15069595
>The prose in volume 1 was so bad it was unreadable.
>I have never read classical sci-fi
>>
>>15070338
>Most dubs haven't been bad in while.
I'm pretty tolerant of dubs myself, since I watch anime with normalshits, but in recent years dubbing has gone downhill harder than I ever thought possible.
>JoJo is unwatchable because of shitty accents and also JYB
>OPM is unwatchable because of "American anime syndrome" where American anime VAs can't get into character unless it's in a European setting and they turned Genos into a faggot
>G-Tekketsu has all the same problems as Code Geass
I watch Toonami once and this is what I get in return? When I was a kid Toonami was the bomb.
>>
File: tmp_6733-writings-8251844.jpg (73KB, 248x288px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6733-writings-8251844.jpg
73KB, 248x288px
>>15070353
In my country dubs are only done for kids, and I'm talking kids under the age of 12. So I wouldn't call subtitles inherently "elitist". We're talking Japanese cartoons here not a rendition of Othello.
If reading is something only the nobility and clergy does your country has regressed to the dark ages. Congratulations.
>>
File: 1473800851070.jpg (77KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1473800851070.jpg
77KB, 640x480px
>>15073845
>If reading is something only the nobility and clergy does your country has regressed to the dark ages. Congratulations.
I'll help myself to that sentence, thank you.
>>
>>15073823
I've read Foundation, Triplanetary, and a few others. Nothing was as bad as LoGH 1.
>>
>>15073840
>because of shitty accents
>Not loving glorious Cockney imperialism
I bet you're a Pillarman.
>>
>>15073541
>>15071621
Wait what? I've read like 4 volumes of The Origin. I know there were some areas where I went "WHAT!?" but nothing too egregious. Like, the White Base isn't referred to as a Musai and Amuro isn't Gundam at his computer.
>>
File: 1312002583482.jpg (476KB, 1024x781px) Image search: [Google]
1312002583482.jpg
476KB, 1024x781px
>>15072621
>Yen Press
Both Vampire Hunter D and Legend of Galactic Heroes were licensed by Haikasoru, the same imprint that did the translations for The Lords of the Sands of Time, All You Need Is Kill, Yukikaze, and Conqueror of the Sun.

Come at me bro.
>>
>>15074108
>>Not loving glorious Cockney imperialism
I didn't say that, I just need my shitty accents done right.
>>
>>15074116
All You Need Is Kill and the Yukikaze translations were fine, so I don't know why the quality of LoGH is apparently so bad.
>>
>>15074116
Vampire Hunter D is still licensed by Dark Horse.
>>
I actually thought the stiff prose worked well when taken as a historical piece. The less the author (or in this case, translator) injects themselves into the narrative, the more it feels like a recount of something that happened as opposed to a fictional tale... if that makes sense to anyone here.

The character of the literature is best conveyed by certain styles of prose, or something to that effect.
>>
>>15070338
>Most dubs haven't been bad in while.
Wrong. Localization teams still think the West often can't handle Japanese names while also hammering down on censorship to make it more PC and marketable to children by PC standards. The bigger issue though is the voice acting industry in the USA especially is filled with amateurish to bad actors and actresses that stay in because the industry is heavily dominated by nepotism.
>>
>>15071525

Sorry to reply to you again, but you're a freelance translator?
>>
>>15081028
Not to mention the fact that the budget isn't there to make quality ones anymore...

>>15081849
That I am.
>>
>>15084356

>>That I am.

I see. Think you can assist with a fan translation group?

Everyone, I apologize for this off-topic conversation. Getting back on-topic, Daniel Huddleston translated the following books:

https://www.amazon.com/Virus-Day-Resurrection-Sakyo-Komatsu-ebook/dp/B00AHJN4H0/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443909681&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/Apparitions-Ghosts-Old-Miyuki-Miyabe/dp/1421567423/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443909681&sr=1-2
>>
>>15081028
>Localization teams still think the West often can't handle Japanese names while also hammering down on censorship to make it more PC and marketable to children by PC standards.
Dude, I'm sorry that that one Cure show got butchered; but on the whole, shit not meant for television broadcast is as competently produced as ever.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.