[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are technologically augmented humans /m/ related?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 28

File: dx_augmented.jpg (35KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dx_augmented.jpg
35KB, 1024x768px
Are technologically augmented humans /m/ related?
>>
>>15051482
cyborgs are /m/, yes.
even more when their augments include ports for operating machinery with more efficience
>>
Wierd, I was just playing this today, but it keeps crashing in the NSF airfield base.
>>
>>15051795
First time playing it? No problems with the game here.
>>
>>15051795
The NSF did nothing wrong.
>>
>>15051815

No I'm replaying with Give Me Deus Ex
>>
>>15051482
Do you have a single old man to back that up?
>>
>>15051482
>technologically augmented humans

like a guy with glasses?
>>
File: 100 percent black.jpg (53KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
100 percent black.jpg
53KB, 960x720px
>>15051482
>>
File: do you have a single fact.jpg (91KB, 760x572px) Image search: [Google]
do you have a single fact.jpg
91KB, 760x572px
>>15052125
>>
Even if your vision is augmented, what's the point of wearing sunglasses all the time other than to cosplay as Neo? It's not to hide his nano-augmentation, because Paul doesn't.
>>
>>15052690
It looks better on a low-poly model.
>>
>>15052690
No, it's to hide his Augs. You can see his full face in character creation, and his eyes glow solid blue, and he's already missing a lot of the social skills than Paul has.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (51KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
51KB, 750x563px
>>15052690
>what's the point of wearing sunglasses all the time

It was the '90s. Wearing sunglasses and trenchcoats all the time was considered badass attire back then.
>>
>>15053572
>>15052160
pardon me, my vision is augmented
>>
A GEP Gun takedown is the fastest way to eliminate Manderley.
>>
>>15053601
Real badass cyberpunks wear bondage gear, trench coats are for corporate citizens trying to slum it in runner clubs.
>>
>>15053572
>and he's already missing a lot of the social skills than Paul has.

In fairness Warren Spector said that JC is intentionally very monotone and bland (albeit very intelligent) because it allows the player to self-insert easier. He also said he wants someone (but specifically not him) to remake the game. Mainly because DE was only like 1/3 done when released, they just didn't have the time or resources. I mean, did you know there was supposed to be an entirely different path to the game where you stayed loyal to UNATCO?
>>
File: roujin-z.18003.jpg (296KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
roujin-z.18003.jpg
296KB, 1000x1500px
>>15051482
Our Electronic Old men and their flexibility has allowed us to progress in mythical city on hill.
>>
>>15054107
Yea, I'm wondering what kinds of endings that would have. I didn't know about the 1/3rd bit though, it feels way more complete than that.
>>
>>15054107

Yep, the final level after A51 was going to be a Moon base, there was also a White House level and so on.
>>
>>15054431
>>15054451
>I didn't know about the 1/3rd bit though

I'm going by when Warren said he planned for it to have 3 times as much content as it does

Also, people forget that this was one of the most hardware-intensive games of its time. The game visually doesn't look impressive even for 2001 standards, but the kind of computer you needed to play this game was insane. Mostly due to poor optimization.

As for the remake thing, it was mainly when people asked him a couple years after HR came out and MD was in development, if he was open to Eidos Montreal remaking the original game in their engine and all. He said he would be really excited to see someone else's interpretation of his creation.
>>
>>15054950
you mean 2000
>>
>>15054991
Close enough
>>
File: Stroheim_jojoeoh.jpg (317KB, 793x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Stroheim_jojoeoh.jpg
317KB, 793x1024px
SEKAI ICHI
>>
I don't think IW was that bad on its own merit, but man is Alex such a giant step down from JC.
>>
>>15058493

Dialouge and story revolving around them
JC > Adam > Alex

Personality
Adam > Alex > JC

That being said JC has his moments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg
that lip smack is perfect
>>
>>15051482
>Are technologically augmented humans /m/ related?

Oh, yes.
>>
>>15058893
No.
>>
>got Mankind Divided for 23$
>Still feel ripped off
Prague is shittier than Detroit and China was, cant even go inside many buildings
>>
>>15052690
Because Molly from Nueromancer did.
>>
>>15051888
Never had that problem with GMDx. Perhaps you should mention that somewhere where the team can hear you since it's being actively worked on, maybe it's a reoccurring thing.
>>
>>15058967

I bruteforced my way through it eventually anyway, never had the problem since. Now I'm in Paris.
>>
>>15053601
>Tfw still think its cool
>Still think the haircut from terminator 2 is cool
>Was only 6 in 1999
Maybe someday 90s fashion will be in again
>>
>>15054950
I have a strong gut feeling Eidos is working their way up to a remake. Once they do a Jensen trilogy anyway.
>>
File: 1482817792161.jpg (49KB, 501x642px) Image search: [Google]
1482817792161.jpg
49KB, 501x642px
>>
>>15051482
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCk8ByyCsks

>put on a trenchcoat and fight some conspiracies.....
>>
File: Stark.jpg (236KB, 900x1391px) Image search: [Google]
Stark.jpg
236KB, 900x1391px
>>15051482
Most def
>>
Mankind Divided was kind of lame.

I thought it'd be a good follow-up to HR. What a shame.
>>
File: super sonic.jpg (46KB, 604x258px) Image search: [Google]
super sonic.jpg
46KB, 604x258px
>>15051482
>HUR DUR IS IT /M/?

If you want to start a cyborg thread just start a fucking cyborg thread
>>
>>15059173

I feel like they're too scared to do so. It's so easy to fuck up, because if you look at the original DE from an outside perspective, it sounds REALLY dumb on paper and shouldn't have turned out nearly as good as it did.
>>
>>15058623
Have you been infected?
>>
>>15059539

Oh yes, most certainly.
>>
>>15058493
Yeah but you can make Alex a gril
>>
>>15059589

They planned to make girl JC a thing in DE too but it never happened.
>>
>>15059394
HR showed that writing-wise, they really aren't talented enough for a game like Deus Ex. Ross Scott really puts into persepctive why DE's writing is brilliant and HR's isn't.
DE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxOKEsBx4NU
HR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYLEuQrvND0
>>
>>15058603
>Personality
>Adam > Alex > JC

I was surprised Adam was so likeable, I was expecting a complete JC expy. JC was supposed to be a blank character that represents the player so it doesn't surprise me he lacks a defined personality.

Dunno about Alex haven't played IW I'm playing HR and my PC can't run MD. I was going to play IW after playing Deus Ex but the negative reviews on Steam discouraged me from going it.

>>15059394
>I feel like they're too scared to do so It's so easy to fuck up

Just hire Warren Spector or Harvey Smith as consultants to legitimize the project, leave the original levels more or less intact, I think they would still work as they are in a modern game, just add more areas to explore, let you choose the HR gameplay or classic gameplay without the third person cover system and add the cut content.
>>
>>15061342

Invisible War is, as Ross Scott put it, a "good in a bubble" game. If DE never existed then it would be a pretty good albeit flawed game, but for DE fans it's just a smack in the face. I mean, they got rid of skills.
>>
>>15061342
>JC was supposed to be a blank character that represents the player so it doesn't surprise me he lacks a defined personality.
JC doesn't LACK a defined personality, he definitely has one. But it's extremely subdued.
>>
>>15061453
>>15061342
Warren Spector was at least still involved in IW, unlike any of the other future installments. Just play IW already.
>>
>>15061453
>Invisible War is, as Ross Scott put it, a "good in a bubble" game. If DE never existed then it would be a pretty good albeit flawed game

>>15061466
>Warren Spector was at least still involved in IW, unlike any of the other future installments. Just play IW already.

K

Getting i right now , thanks for the rec m8s
>>
File: 1455770487469.jpg (408KB, 1276x587px) Image search: [Google]
1455770487469.jpg
408KB, 1276x587px
>>15061460
JC is pretty passionate about America though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKF0IYwhrjk
>>
>>15061570

it is better written than HR, but it's kinda simplistic in the story being told.
>>
>>15061621
>Loves America
>Isn't big into books
Hmm, really charges the old biocells
>>
>>15061721

Considering 2050s America, I would think most contemporary books would be propoganda
>>
I am a prototype for a much larger system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-bijO3uEw
>>
File: IMG_4100.png (178KB, 541x676px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4100.png
178KB, 541x676px
Are your legs OK?
>>
This game predicted a lot of bad shit.
>>
>>15061010
Honestly as I play Mankind Divided I appreciate HRs writing more and more
I mean, this shit in MD feels like a fundamental misunderstanding of what Deus Ex is. At least HR knew what to shoot for even if it fell short
Was MD made by the B Team or something? Please tell me it's different writers..
>>
>>15061721
>reading books in an era ruled by a man named Page
>>
>>15061902
Jason Dozois and Steven Gallagher wrote MD, Mary DeMarle wrote HR
>>
>>15061845

My legs are OK!

You gain brouzouf.
>>
>>15061953
"Your legs have been mended" from the retranslation, while more accurate, lacks punch.
>>
>>15061849
>americans actually elected a goddamn megacorp owner as a president

Oh well, I'll just wait until cybernetics become cheap enough, go full 100% cyborg and go live on fucking Europa or Titan or some shit.
>>
File: top bants.jpg (282KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
top bants.jpg
282KB, 1680x1050px
>>15061962
why would you ever use the retranslation
>>
>>15061783
Are you programmed to invent riddles?
>>
>>15062176
>live
>as a cyborg
choose one
>>
>>15062198
My instructions are to amuse viewers with information about information about information about information about information...
>>
>>15061942
>vagina
Why cant devs learn from biowares mistakes?
>>
>>15062186

So I can actually understand the plot.

>>15062403

But this vagina in question made the better-written game of the two. This vagina did a better job than 2 penises working together.
>>
>>15059394
Oh come one, it's not that complicated. On a fundamental level it's system shock, just with a lot more scope
>>
>>15051482

Deus Ex is fucking hard. I've died 9 times and I haven't even finished the mission on Liberty island.
>>
>>15063239

Yeah but HR lacked a lot of what made DE special. HR and MD focues on problems of NOW, which defeats the whole purpose of DE which is saying that what is going to happen in the future. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I genuinely think that things like the NSF are an inevitability. To me Leo Gold was right about everything he said.

>>15063246

You can't run and gun until you get the regeneration aug, ballistic shield aug, and auto shotgun. You gotta sneak and act like a serial killer that picks people off. Liberty Island is actually one of the hardest parts of the game for new players because they don't know how to play yet. Hence why a veteran can breeze through it in 3 minutes.

Also, part of it is because the NSF use pistols instead of machine guns, and pistols do like 6x as much damage per shot (in exchange for having a much lower rate of fire), so they actually are a lot more dangerous than most MJ12 soldiers.
>>
File: 1399344801863.jpg (61KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1399344801863.jpg
61KB, 1200x800px
>>15059394
>because if you look at the original DE from an outside perspective, it sounds REALLY dumb on paper and shouldn't have turned out nearly as good as it did.

They basically made a game about milita folks who believe in conspiracies being both 100% right and not racist, yes.
>>
>>15063271

Because the game is telling the truth. Granted, it's not from some ancient Illuminati conspiracy to control the world, but there IS a concerted effort by the rich to use everything in their power to become richer at the cost of fucking everyone else over while trying to keep the wool over their eyes. The reality is all this country needs is something like the giant california quake to cause people to take up arms, because it all spiralled from there.
>>
>>15063239
>On a fundamental level it's system shock, just with a lot more scope

>no actual cyberspace
>no getting high and getting shot up until you die in order to progress
>no open world

Eh.
>>
>>15063287
The rich and powerful were just as much victims to the Illuminati's scheme as the poor though and probably like 99,999% of them aren't privy to what's actually going on. You can gather that from various logs that lay out how the Illuminati are controlling politics.
>>
>>15063315

No I mean, the Illuminati is just a sci-fi veil for what is actually happening irl. The stuff Leo Gold said at the statue of liberty, you can back that up with facts and statistics. Now it's not 100% accurate, the reality is corporations paid more like 43% in taxes in 1940, not 50%, but the basic point is still there.
>>
>>15063268
>HR and MD focues on problems of NOW
In what way?
>>
>>15063325
It's about discrimination, cultural apartheid, people "playing god" with technology (the cloning debate, arguably abortion). The prequels despite the technological change, society isn't THAT different from now, especially in Detroit (if anything Detroit is doing better in 2027 than now).

The original Deus Ex, BEFORE 9/11 and the Patriot Act and the global awareness of terrorism, said with a completely straight face, "This is what America is going to look like in 50 years based on trends going since 1900: massive centralization of power, plutocracy, loss of privacy, loss of constitutional rights, extrajudicial forces that operate like a shadow government, widespread poverty and homelessness, and the rise of domestic terrorism in response to all of this." This game was goddamn prophetic, because some of that has already happened. In fact the only thing it got dead wrong was the paranoia about FEMA, because Hurricane Katrina showed that FEMA can barely run a hot dog stand, much less a governement.
>>
>>15063371
IRL we got the rich musing about the health benefits of vampirism in interviews and paying alleged magicians to influence political campaigns while people fighting or working for information freedom and privacy are turned into useful idiots in asymetric global conflicts and wars.

Fiction really can't beat RL in terms of nuttyness.
>>
>>15063410

Yeah but it doesn't really change what DE was talking about. If you remove the Illuminati from the plot and just replaced it with "rich people who also happen to be assholes", then I see DE as an inevitability. I said it before and I'll say it again, we just need one catastrophic event to cause things like the Second Civil War to happen. In fact things like passing the Patriot Act (which removed all power from the 4th and 8th amendments) has only made it more of an inevitability.
>>
>>15063419
Meh, the rich people being assholes right now are pretty much Anarchists and Nihilists and use their cash to safeguard themselves against and weaken state's influence on themselves.

Their basic political aim is the creation of a Cleptocracy where the rich won't get iced for stepping out of line, which is a whole lot different from any of the Illuminati.

>In fact things like passing the Patriot Act (which removed all power from the 4th and 8th amendments) has only made it more of an inevitability.
Unlikely. In the end, civil wars start because political players actually figure that their aims are better served by it than by non-violent means. Laws and regulations got little to do with it.
>>
>>15063453
>Unlikely. In the end, civil wars start because political players actually figure that their aims are better served by it than by non-violent means

In DE, the Second CW happened because the massive quake that devastated the West Coast caused the federal government to offer tremendous aid to California at the cost of the rest of the western states, causing them to secede (starting with Utah, which has always been isolationist in nature) because they were being left to rot and in poverty, and they no longer wanted to be part of this. The war happened because the federal government made them rejoin by force. Earthquakes are currently happening in the ring of fire at multiple times their average and stronger than average, you really think such a situation is impossible? Hell there was a poll 2 years ago that said that about 25% of the country's population was open to leaving the union if they thought things got bad enough.

>Laws and regulations got little to do with it.

As for that part I was talking about how we're becoming more of a police state, but I really do think that people would rather die free than live in chains.
>>
>>15063453
>Unlikely. In the end, civil wars start because political players actually figure that their aims are better served by it than by non-violent means. Laws and regulations got little to do with it.
If congress did what gun nuts always fear with paranoia that they'll do and repeal the second amendment, you better fucking believe the literal "coming for your guns" will lead to civil war.
>>
>>15063468
Police state?

Pfft, we're more like a surveillance society. We the people are watching big brother with more than our two eyes thanks to the proliferation of consumer electronics.

No one can do anything without someone finding out about it, opacity is at its lowest, the people wield far more power than they care to admit.

It's actually a dangerous situation for completely different reasons.
>>
>>15063488

I would agree with you if the people weren't suspectible to privately-funded narratives.
>>
>>15063492
He who controls the social media controls the free world.

It's a very bizarre world we live in, honestly.
>>
File: zQ1svUA.jpg (234KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
zQ1svUA.jpg
234KB, 800x1000px
>>15063498

Not really
>>
>>15063482
>sudden spike in crime, mainly centered on States the political elite thinks as being inhabited by people wasting oxygen in the fist place

We know that both the Dems and the Reps correctly consider the majority of Americans superfluous to the polity as it is and they don't really care to change anything about it either, so a civil war would only be considered problematic if the cost of it could seriously harm their position in international politics.

Though it probably would not, because such as it is, the police are already allowed to finance themselves through plunder - they'd just ammend that to include PMCs and call it a day.
>>
>>15063500
>implying the rise in focus cliques and echo chambers wasn't made possible by the heightened connection between individuals brought about by social media
>implying it isn't that very environment, wherein a small handful of loud voices can be assembled, that drives today's issues

Whether or not you're being led around by someone else's fiddle, the fact is that we've gone from a society of unfocused noise drowning itself out to one where at least a few noise sources can be focused strongly enough to become a signal rising above the background static.

I'm not fond of the extreme long term possibility that could result, that of a single-signal society. Harmony is nothing more than a friendly way of referring to stagnation.
>>
>>15063517

All I said was it's not as bizarre as you say.
>>
You know what always bothered me? That the COPS call you a murderer in HR. I'm sorry, but you can't even use the excuse of "oh they're Montreal Frenchies, they don't know what real crime is" because East Downtown Montreal is "you go there, you will possibly die" territory. This is just ignorance to how police think.
>>
>>15063574
Oh.
Well then.

I would still describe it as bizarre for as long as it unintentionally sounds rather crackpot. Like, it's a function of how mainstream the notion of a fifth estate is, or how much power it holds in the sociopolitical landscape.

I don't feel it's representative of the natural state of the world. Hence, bizarre.

If that makes sense.
>>
>>15063583
Are you a cop?

Because I firmly believe the only people who truly understand how cops think are law enforcement.
>>
File: OmarTrader2.png (955KB, 560x784px) Image search: [Google]
OmarTrader2.png
955KB, 560x784px
>>15063583
>That the COPS call you a murderer in HR.

Eh? In what part of the game, I'm still playing it and the cops at the station only ask Adam what the hell is doing there since he doesn't work there anymore and others are glad to see him. I haven't kill anybody only the first boss though.

>>15061690
>it is better written than HR, but it's kinda simplistic in the story being told.

I started play it yesterday, things kinda just happen, the way it opens the plot it's kinda stupid, Alex realized they are being attacked but the rest of the lab are acting like nothing is happening.

The areas are really really small with very dubious puzzles and for some reason it 's giving me problems with slowdowns and Play Station 1 loading times

But overall it's a good game, my favorite characters so far are the Ayylmaos

I'll finish it I'm playing as girl Alex
>>
>>15063624
Towards the later part of the game. Not in Detroit.
>>
>>15063198

she didn't do a better job than the penises that worked on the original DS, and those guys weren't even professional writers.

Looks like women lose again.
>>
>>15063246
Stick with the prod
>>
>>15063498
That would imply the incoming US President will control the free world.
>>
>>15063855
>tfw the POTUS gets banned from Twitter a month into inheriting the presidential account

The shitposts leading up to it will be the stuff of legend.
>>
>>15063872
>tfw some random /v/ermin will actually start a nuclear holocaust by shitposting at Trump
memes may have gone too far
>>
>>15063881
>Here lies Anonymous
>his last words: "I'M NUCLEAR"

I mean, if you had to pick a way to off yourself next year, putting Donald on tilt is definitely up there.
>>
>>15063889
>off yourself
bro, we're going to be able Nuclear SWAT entire states and countries

>@realDonaldTrump HEY FUCKFACE I'M AARON WHITE OF 724 MAGNOLIA LANE, PODUNK, IOWA AND YOU'RE A SMALL-FINGERED FAGGOT

>Our stop story this evening, martial law has been declared for the state of Iowa, and the Shin Neo National Guard has been mobilized to suppress dissenters and prepare them for extreme deportation.
>In other news, Secretary of Walmart, Exxon, and T-Mobile, Sergei Alexandorov, announced today that the nation's tax-patriots could look forward to a 730% increase in freedom premium prices next year, citing insufficient savings from the privatization of the VA.
>>
>>15063603
>Are you a cop?

No but I'm the son of a cop who himself was the son of a cop, and I myself was going to be a soldier but was found mentally unfit to serve. But that ignores the point, when a terrorist organization takes over a building, has taken hostages, and has been having a shootout with the cops the whole time, trust me no cop is going to be shedding a goddamn tear when someone blows all those fuckers away.

>>15063624
>Eh? In what part of the game

Very beginning of the game, the Sarif factory that you're sent into. If you go lethal and kill most of them, some cops will outright call you a murderer and say that if you weren't for the fact that you saved the hostages, they'd arrest you themselves.

>and for some reason it 's giving me problems with slowdowns and Play Station 1 loading times

The game was built from the ground up for the original Xbox, not the PC, that's why.
>>
>>15063677

All that tells me is not all penises were created equal
>>
>>15063855
>in control of the majority of the UN's military forces
>largest military on earth
>vital part of NATO
>dollar is the world currency
>the US military-industrial complex is literally the biggest employer on earth

Were they ever not since the 50s?
>>
>>15063677
>and those guys weren't even professional writers.
The guy who wrote DE is a professional writer, he also teaches creative writing at University of Texas
>>
>>15064060
I think the implication there is that Trump won't actually be "in charge" of anything. He's like a purse dog, a little yappie chihuahua that needs X amount of attention and "good boys" per day, but is completely inconsequential to the running of your household.

Think of all the puppeteering that went on with W, then know that he was at least ten times smarter than Trump. Trump is malleable as fuck, any old general who wants to blow up Dirtghanistan need only whisper,
>Boy, it'd be a really smart thing to blow up Dirtghanistan. A real man would give the order right now. Oh, we should blow up Dirtghanistan? Wow, I'd never thought of that, you're so smart, Mr. President, excellent idea, let's get started right now, tremendous, the best.
>>
>>15061849
Even in the little details.

The prices at the gas station were pretty amazing to me.
>>
File: Donald-Trump-Youre-Fired.jpg (22KB, 625x306px) Image search: [Google]
Donald-Trump-Youre-Fired.jpg
22KB, 625x306px
>>15064077
>b-but Sir, I strongly caution you to reconsider
>reconsider what
>you know what, you're fired
>>
File: markov chain decisionmaking.png (27KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
markov chain decisionmaking.png
27KB, 600x315px
>>15064093
>1: sir, we should blow up Dirghanistan for these reasons
>T: okay let's do it
>2: sir no we shouldn't, that's a dumb idea
>T: absolutely terrible idea, why would anyone suggest that
>1: we'd make tons of money and oil by blowing it up
>T: i've always said that blowing up Dirtghanistan is the only way forward
>2: the country is weary of another war and would hate it
>T: i mean, we can't go against the will of the people
>1: the people really hate brown people and would love it
>T: give the people what they want has always been my motto
>2: russia doesn't want us to do it
>T: after long thought and due consideration to our allies' points, we've decided not to blow up Dirtghanistan
>1: but saudi arabia wants us to
>T: i'll push the button myself
>3: it's taco tuesday
>T: oh! i'm need at trump tower, rev up my private jet that totally isn't Air Force One, i need to burden the taxpayers to sate my desire for cheap and inauthentic mex-i-can kweuh.. quiz.. food
>>
>>15064131
>Do I have any hotels in Dirtghanistan?
>>
>>15061849
In the backstory, gun ownership was banned and there was a civil war in the US

I suspect that will eventually become reality, the game is practically a prophet
>>
>>15064142
>gun rights continue to expand even when Dems control whatever branch of the state or federal government
>THEY'RE GONNA TAKE OUR GUNS
You realize this has always just been hysteria to drum up gun sales?
>>
>>15064144
You say that now, but who knows what the future holds

Democrats are pretty strongly against guns, and future demographics favor them, for starters
>>
>>15064157

I'm a democrat, and while i don't own any guns personally, I see no purpose in banning them because I just don't see how prohibition works.
>>
>>15064180
Most Democrats don't agree with you

Hell, if you split along racial lines, most non-white Americans don't care about gun ownership

As white Americans continue to dwindle as a percentage of the population (unless Latino immigration is somehow halted), expect to see massive changes
>>
>>15064144
The biggest enemy to gun ownership will always be the NRA, fucking bunch of idiots making anyone with a boomstick look like an inbred from the bayou.
>>
>>15064201

Most democrats don't want to take away the guns, they just want better background checks. There are some things I disagree with like "people on the terrorist watch list can never buy a gun" because this is a secret government list that they can put anyone they don't like on it.
>>
>>15064217
I'm concerned that a "no fly no buy" measure will be a slippery slope that will lead to the government gradually becoming more imposing in the name of "cracking down on terror"

I'm generally against the idea of bigger government in general
>>
>>15064157
Polls going back for years suggest that Democrats aren't anti-gun, they are pro-gun safety. (Mental) background checks, bans on "unnecessary" weapons and equipment, longer waiting periods, registries, etc., not "take every gun out of the hands of everyone except the cops".

They also suggest that this is a MAJORITY OPINION. "People known to be absolute fucking lunatics shouldn't be able to buy a shotgun in a day" isn't an anti-gun position, it's something even pro-gun voters and gun owners can appreciate.

Banning "assault weapons", as silly as that is? Majority support, albeit slim and declining (from the historical high in the mid-90s HOLY SHIT GUN VIOLENCE PANIC, it should be mentioned).
Background checks for literally every gun? OVERWHELMING majority support.
"No fly, no buy"? Overwhelming majority support.

And don't even get me started on the registry. If you don't own a gun, go out and buy one right now. Within a week or two of taking that bad boy home with you, you're going to get a letter from the NRA asking you to join. They don't just send those letters out to everyone all the time. They know you own a gun now. How the fuck is that? THEY have a registry, but the government doesn't.
>>
>>15064217
>they just want better background checks.
How would "better" background checks fix anything?
As it is, you already need a clean criminal background to even own guns, and there are multiple states that are will take away your rights if you have a restraining order, or even paranoid relatives who think you'll shoot up a school because you bought an AR-15.
>>
>>15064245
>How would "better" background checks fix anything?

I don't know, I'm just saying what they want. Like i said, I think just prohibition in general doesn't work.
>>
File: crazy gundam bitch.jpg (89KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
crazy gundam bitch.jpg
89KB, 1024x768px
>>15064216
>the biggest enemy to gun ownership is the biggest pro gun organization/lobby in the world
Are you one of those "I'm pro gun BUUUUT..." types?
>>
>>15064245
Well, one of the biggest predictors of someone becoming a criminal is them already being a crazy person. Even the NRA and other gun rights organizations are starting to get on board with the idea that gun violence is a mental health issue, not a guns-make-you-evil one.
>>
>>15064255
Not him but I don't need an organization to protect the right to own my guns. I have my guns for that.
>>
>>15064217
My issue is in any time someone brings up people with mental issues, as a high functioning autist it'd peeve me off to fund out I can't qualify for a gun because I have to pop Ritalin every 24 hours despite otherwise being functionally indistinguishable from the average individual.

But at the same time I am strongly in support of making sure people with guns aren't enabling gun violence in some fashion. Keep your shit locked, ammo away from gun, don't share with people who aren't qualified to operate...

This isn't just a right, there's responsibilities associated with it. Gun violence makes gun owners look bad and all that jazz.
>>
>>15064255
Not him, but the NRA is pretty much fully retarded. They like to stir shit just to try and increase their membership and profits. They could give a hoot whether guns are banned as long as it gets more people to start paying dues.
>>
>>15064262

I think mental issues is something that should be addressed regardless of guns because people in this country are willing to just let them silently suffer.
>>
>>15064234
I bought a rifle and never got anything from the NRA...
>>
>>15064267
Step 1 is destigmatizing mental health issues so that people like >>15064262 aren't lumped in with the "crazy danger to society" batch. You can require all sorts of medication for a host of things and not be a danger to yourself or others for any of them, but people hear "Ted takes pills and sees a psychiatrist" and think you're going to burn down the workplace.
>>
>>15064255
The NRA represents gun owners about as well as ISIS does the Muslim faith.

Which is to say a very warped view concealed within a marketable platform.
>>
>>15064234
>but the government doesn't

No you just can't see it
>>
File: 1468406403585.jpg (104KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1468406403585.jpg
104KB, 1920x1080px
Never trust the UN
>>
>>15064279
If there were a secret government gun database lying around somewhere, don't you think the Republicans would be shouting this shit from the rooftops? They'll let anything else flies, but "Guns, God, and Gays" are their bread and butter. They can profit from wiretapping everyone, but secret gun databases only help them if they're not secret. That's their meal ticket to easy reelection. It's the same way Democrats would, on the down-low, sit on a secret Muslim database (there are still liberals askeered of the brown man) while exposing a token effort, but they'd be waving literally any "gay registry" as high as they possibly could and screaming for everyone to look.
>>
>>15064289
>If there were a secret government gun database lying around somewhere, don't you think the Republicans would be shouting this shit from the rooftops?

Because not all government instutions have oversight.
>>
>>15064275
Eh, I think it's easier to go with having a regular psych evaluation as a condition for licensing with medical issues.

Just have your shrink write up the ok voucher alongside your prescriptions. No vouch, license temp suspended until rectified.

Though I don't know if that's something a psychiatrist is qualified for, as opposed to a psychologist.

Yes, there's a difference.
>>
>>15064277
if it weren't for the NRA stirring up such a shitstorm in the 90's we'd probably still have the AWB in place.
>>
>>15064303
Yeah but fuck LaPierre tho.
>>
File: jesus christ.jpg (52KB, 438x301px) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ.jpg
52KB, 438x301px
>>15064303
It wouldn't have been reupped even if the NRA didn't exist. The crime epidemic that passed the AWB was on the way out by the late 90s.

Unless you're like 35+ I don't really expect anyone here to truly remember how fucking cuh-ray-zee people were getting about drugs and crime in the 90s. You might have had some inkling from overhearing the evening news while you were doing homework or some shit, but it was way worse than hazy recollection.
>>
>>15064326
It's worth noting, also, that there's a pretty much identical spike and decline in Canada along the same timeframe.
>>
>>15064334
Why? The demographics of Canada are totally different.
Is it because of a change in culture?
>>
>>15064345
>Why? The demographics of Canada are totally different.

But Canada and the US are both majority white...
>>
>>15064351

Yes but a giant chunk of Canada is French, and the French have very different values from the british
>>
>>15064345
Don't fuck with Canucks, they'll gut you with a smile.

They're officially worse than Strayans, yknow.
>>
>>15064345
Everyone attributes the rise in crime to the preceding drug epidemic.

Exactly what caused the drop in crime is something people are still debating.

In ascending likelihood, they are:
>the economy improved
>the job market improved
>policing improved
>the drug crackdown worked
>enough time passed since Roe v Wade ('73) for its effects to be noticed
>enough time passed since the ban on lead in gasoline ('90) for its effects to be noticed
>>
>>15064372
>the economy improved
>the job market improved
Arguably it didn't though since NAFTA fucked a lot of people over.
>>
>>15064380
Automation fucked people over, not NAFTA.
>>
>>15064381

NAFTA was never good for the common man, only the companies themselves. Automation just sped it up.
>>
>>15064380
NAFTA was enacted after crime was on the decline and its effect on American jobs is routinely overstated. What isn't often discussed is how lower prices for the vast majority of people whose jobs weren't even remotely at risk from NAFTA improved their circumstances, and not everyone put out of work by NAFTA necessarily found a shittier / no job.
>>
>>15064385
The common man really needs to tech up though, that cushy line worker paycheck ain't coming back anytime soon and there's a massive demand for tech labor just about everywhere.
>>
>>15064389
>>15064393

The issue was more that the jobs left for other parts of the world, and I know it's bad to say "well don't you care about third world areas actually having work for once" but fuck you, it was mine.
>>
>>15064385
NAFTA and similar free trade agreements are the reason everything you buy isn't four times more expensive. You can piss on "globalization" all you want, but you'd be paying through the nose without it. There's a huge swath of people struggling for reasons completely unrelated to jobs going overseas that would be totally unable to enjoy even their current meager lifestyle without the market advantages that free trade brought.

For however many job losses (primarily in auto manufacturing) you can attribute to NAFTA, there are just as many jobs created here that depend on the cheap flow of goods and resources from Mexico that we didn't have before NAFTA. In terms of job loss / growth, it was pretty much zero sum, but in terms of boosting economic activity (through increased spending, driven by lower prices) it was a runaway success. That's the whole point of these arrangements.

Companies don't need FTAs to ship their jobs overseas on the cheap. They will do that anyway, and we just won't get anything out of it.
>>
>>15064408
>For however many job losses (primarily in auto manufacturing) you can attribute to NAFTA, there are just as many jobs created here that depend on the cheap flow of goods and resources from Mexico that we didn't have before NAFTA.

In the days long before NAFTA, we'd just have the CIA install a puppet in a country that would just give us the resources.
>>
>>15064398
Nah, I'm going to say "you got underbid, shit sucks, but at least you have a job on your resume."

I'm past my 2 years "recent graduate" time frame and still searching for a job to apply my CS skills to. No one wants a mere Bachelors Degree holder to code their mainframes and shit though, it's bull I tell ya.

Can't even get low level QA shit, it's like I'm overqualified for the entry level while underqualified for the mainline.
>>
>>15064398
Your job was doomed regardless. Real manufacturing output in the US grew substantially in the NAFTA years, even just within the auto sector, despite the loss of ~500k-700k jobs there.

R O B O T S
>>
>>15064418
Yeah. That works great for a few decades, then they have a rebellion or some crazy religious movement or crime epidemic and suddenly we're getting overrun with that bullshit. Every fucking time. AND WE KEEP FALLING FOR IT, THE ABSOLUTE MADCOMPANY
>>
>>15064426
>hey maybe we should stop doing this thing

>or maybe WE SHOULD DOUBLE DOWN ON IT

Fucking spooks.
>>
>>15064432

Yeah but if we double down on it hard enough, like go full british empire, eventually they'll realize they can't fight it.
>>
>>15064434
How's that working for Britain right now? ehehehehe
>>
>>15064436

Hey they didn't choose to give up their empire.
>>
>>15064438
But they did choose to give up their trade advantage, the fucking cucks.
>heh, we got the EU to give us all these special exemptions and concessions on all sorts of shit
>now let's leave and renegotiate everything
>w...we can get the same sweetheart deals again, r-right?
>guys?
>fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
>>
>>15064424
Assembly line robots are the coolest shit
>>
>>15064418
Is it any wonder Latin America is a mess, and Hispanics keep flooding into the US, legally and illegally?
>>
>>15064449
Waiting for the day when I can chop my arm off and get it replaced by a sixaxis.
>>
>>15064462

You want a PS3 controller for an arm?
>>
>>15064462
just kys
>>
File: 6axisbot.jpg (33KB, 448x479px) Image search: [Google]
6axisbot.jpg
33KB, 448x479px
>>15064465
the robot came first anon

>>15064468
are they gonna put my brain in a ro-body
>>
File: legcloseup.jpg (159KB, 640x877px) Image search: [Google]
legcloseup.jpg
159KB, 640x877px
>>15051482
If I ever had to lose part of my body, I'd want it to be a leg just so I could get a robotic leg. I would never do anything to purposefully remove a leg, but I'd be completely fine with it as long as I can get a robotic replacement. I'd show it off too, I wouldn't try to make it look like flesh.
>>
>>15064472
Robotic arms are the best because then you can sleep on your side and not be uncomfortable
>>
>>15064473
I'd be okay with a robotic arm too, but I'd be less stoked about it because robot hands just aren't as good as real human hands yet. If a hand is ever created that is as dexterous as a natural hand, then I'd be for robot arms too.
>>
>>15064480
But you can spin your wrist around non-stop and get done with the washing five times as fast

Also, cheat at coin tosses and die throws.
>>
File: 1462934871962.jpg (31KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
1462934871962.jpg
31KB, 225x350px
>>15064372
>enough time passed since the ban on lead in gasoline ('90) for its effects to be noticed
Are you implying lead in car exhaust made the entire world violent morons for a few generations?
>>
>>15064591
I'm not implying anything, that's what the statistics and science support. It wasn't responsible for the spike, but it's a factor in the decline (particularly the continued decline more than a decade later).

Lead in the blood and body is linked with short-term emotional and behavioral issues. Lead also causes developmental delays and other issues, which over greater timespans creates the conditions and persons more predisposed to crime.
>>
>>15064234
They do have one. It's just inefficient and deliberately in terrible shape, but gun sales can be tracked eventually. Worst case it'll simply take a decade of two before they can get working on a specific gun.
>>
>>15065050
Well in Maryland we used to have this system, IBIS. According to Wikipedia it was shitcanned just a year ago in 2015, but apparently back in '05 even the cops were like "this shit ain't working, it's not paying for its upkeep cost in results" in a report of theirs recommending to repeal a law that would mandate handgun registry to their IBIS.

It's a shame because in an ideal world that sort of program makes perfect sense at least with regards to the set of firearms legally manufactured, retailed and obtained, but apparently it had a ton of flaws in practice.
>>
>>15065527
They scrapped the Long Gun Registry in canada for the same reasons, it was just an expensive program that didn't do anything except piss off legitimate gun owners.
Its one of the few things Harper did right.
>>
You know of all things Deus Ex predicted that people are suggesting now, I'm amazed it never brought up biometric locks on guns. I own guns and I support it because it means no one could ever break in and use my gun against me.

But then the second amendment was repealed in DE, but still, that gives better reason to give them locks so that NSF couldn't take guns off of military.
>>
>>15065979
Smart guns have both a lot of unexplored development space and little to no market demand for them from the gun-owner community.

If the manufacturers were to settle on a standard, that'd probably be half the hard work already done.

Of course, all it would take is one loaded comment by the NRA to kill such an endeavor. Something like "the government is going to lock you out of your own ID tagged guns!"
>>
>>15065997
Well logically it would just be based on a password or something
>>
>>15066026
RFID/NFC at minimum, but it'd have to be something unique, something difficult to clone.

Which is sorta a problem, because even right now you can clone car fobs and steal shit without inflicting a scratch.

Then there's the question of if any competition over the lock mechanism might drive a wedge in the market because company A uses tech X and B uses Y and there's no intercompatibility... imagine it like a format war, but with guns. Or to consider a real world scenario of tech competition, compare Android Pay's use of NFC to do point of sale transaction vs Samsung Pay's ability to create a magnetic field (provided your phone supports it) and trigger the magnetic strip reader on a pay terminal.

Take notes guys, sci-fi idea coming:
>gun with Bluetooth receiver
>draws power in some form from the gun's cycling action, so all you have to do is rack/shoot to keep it powered
>syncs with your smartphone, checking for a constantly updating authentication code to authorize firing

Only problem is what happens when your phone dies / gets stolen / some other third problem.

And also what happens when the electronics fail.

And a bunch of other issues.

Really there's a lot of unexplored territory here. I think ID TAGGED GUNS is as good as its gonna get, and we're a ways away from nanomachines right now
>>
>>15066056
"oh hold on please home invader I need to reboot my phone to unlock my gun that's cool right"
>>
File: beararms.png (396KB, 411x474px) Image search: [Google]
beararms.png
396KB, 411x474px
>>15066064
>not mauling the home intruder with your Constitutionally-protected right to gene-spliced BEAR ARMS
Guns are sissies. Who has time to fumble under the pillow or search the nightstand for their pistol?
>>
>>15066064
I wouldn't want to be the PR guy responsible for handling that.

>when your phone updates and breaks the authenticator app in the middle of a shootout
>>
File: tfw2.jpg (20KB, 310x241px) Image search: [Google]
tfw2.jpg
20KB, 310x241px
>>15064443
>Decades of almost always getting pretty much what you want AND influencing the course of common EU politics in major ways

And then they decide that the Swiss model, as in having to straight up adapt a constant stream of EU regulations and laws without Parliament having any say or even having the capacity to discuss them AND paying into EU coffers without getting a seat at EU political tables is what they want in the future.

This is your nation after thirty fucking years of Fake News about EU politics.
>>
File: nightstand.jpg (23KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
nightstand.jpg
23KB, 500x484px
>>15066076
Which is why you can buy a weaponized nightstand to make things faster.

Also modern home invades have no understanding of Greek/Roman combat styles so they have little to stop them from getting beat to death with a clubbed table leg.
>>
>>15066132
>Also modern home invades have no understanding of Greek/Roman combat styles

Neither do we. It's truly a contest where god will grant victory to the just.
>>
There's a lot of shit in the background of Deus Ex that it's a shame the players gloss over, because it's really interesting.

Like how India and Pakistan are just GONE from a nuclear exchange, the Spanish Flu accidentally came back thanks to scientific research and due to global travel was WAY more dangerous than it was the first time (and remember, the first time around 5% of the earth's population was wiped out from it), Russia becomes fiefdoms controlled by Mafia lords, Mexico declares a reconquista of the former territories in the US.

Just lots of things that you as a player don't really know is going on.
>>
File: o.o.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
o.o.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
>>15066595
>yfw that's all going to happen in our timeline
>>
>>15066617

Ok at least SOME of that clearly isn't going to happen. Mexico will never be able to launch a reconquista when they're still fighting the cartels. If there's gonna be another super deadly disease, it won't be the Spanish Influenza. And the Russia thing, judging by how things currently are, isn't likely.

The India/Pakistan nuclear exchange, yeah I can see that happening.
>>
Home come mechanical augs in DE don't need neuropozyne?
>>
>>15066640
Reminder that cyberpunk is always one part disturbingly accurate prophecies regarding emerging technologies and their effects on the world, another part fucking silly geopolitical what-ifs that keep the work firmly in the realm of fiction.
>>
>>15066657
X1 Biochip solves the rejection problem
Thread posts: 194
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.