[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's YOUR favorite super robot designer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_2463.jpg (148KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2463.jpg
148KB, 1280x720px
I gotta go with Masami O-fucking-bari. His shading, his eye-style, his poses, his...EVERYTHING ABOUT HIS MECHS! He's worked on Gundam Iron-blooded orphans, Gundam F91, Tryon 3, Gravion, Dangaioh,Dragonar, a few original robots in SRW, Dancouga, and of course
the Brave series (GAGAGAGAGAGAGAOGAIGAAAR!!!!)
>>
File: 1476818290138.jpg (152KB, 842x600px) Image search: [Google]
1476818290138.jpg
152KB, 842x600px
>>15051337
Ken Ishikawa
>>
>>15051337
Obari for Supers, Nagano and Shimizu for reals
>>
>>15051337
Obari made Gaogaigar designs?
>>
File: mg_00_gundam_seven_swords_1.jpg (152KB, 1024x1020px) Image search: [Google]
mg_00_gundam_seven_swords_1.jpg
152KB, 1024x1020px
Ebikawa. His designs always get made into fun toys, but without looking too toyetic. You can see why Bandai/Sunrise likes him so much.
>>
>>15051370
Nah, GGG was still by Okawara. Obari wasn't even involved in the TV series, only GGG Final as a key animator.
>>
File: view#2.png (1MB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
view#2.png
1MB, 1008x720px
Hideaki Anno even though he hasn't done much (Nadia, parts of CCA and most of Eva).

Yutaka Izubuchi would be my favorite Gundam mobile suit designer (Anno only designed some ships I think), though I loved what Nagano did with my favorite Gundam, Zeta
>>
File: JD_089.jpg (694KB, 2338x1700px) Image search: [Google]
JD_089.jpg
694KB, 2338x1700px
>>15051337
I must point out that Obari only did the animation designs for a lot of those mechs, and barely touched GGG (though his influence and style was felt throughout the entire Brave series).

With that said, I do think he's amazing at doing animation redesigns, and the mechs he did design himself are quite nice. When compared to other designers though, he hasn't really done that many.

That's not to say I don't like him, he's a personal idol of mine and my favorite animator. I just don't like seeing things misattributed to anyone, is all.

To answer your question I might have to go with either Okawara or Kawamori.
>>
Obari is more of a redesigner, almost all his best works are adaptations of something else, very good artist. Okawara I like for actual ideas but he's not very good at executing them and whilst he is experienced he is not really a very good artist. So it's actually kind of appropriate when you put the two together you get some neat stuff like Gravion. Both are undeniably legends within this genre however.

Eiichi Shimizu is probably my favourite designer at the moment, excellent artist AND designer with some very neat ideas and aesthetics. Arguably one of the most talented artists active right now for pure artistic ability.

Most recently is Ippei Gyoubu has this wonderful weird aesthetic to all their robots that looks both alienesque yet has a certain grounded feel to them. It's kind of a shame both G-Reco and IBO have been kinda middling shows because it's obvious why Sunrise like this guy, he's probably the freshest robot designer in recent years.
>>
File: Kazumi Fujita.jpg (236KB, 800x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Kazumi Fujita.jpg
236KB, 800x1252px
>>15051398
>though I loved what Nagano did with my favorite Gundam, Zeta

Wrong dude, guy.
>>
>>15051357
This.

For reals, I'd say either Izubuchi or Nagano
>>
Kazumi Fujita. For supers AND reals.
>>
>>15051398
>Hideaki Anno even though he hasn't done much (Nadia, parts of CCA and most of Eva).

Nigga what? Ikuto Yamashita did all the designs for Nadia and the Eva TV series. Takeshi Honda did the designs for the Rebuilds. Gunbuster was by Koichi Ohata.

The only thing Anno ever designed was a rejected Gundam for CCA and a few ships. Some of the planes in Honneamise were his work I believe.
>>
File: Mazinkaiser.jpg (30KB, 279x400px) Image search: [Google]
Mazinkaiser.jpg
30KB, 279x400px
Keiichi Sato.
Big O really speaks for itself, but his Mazinger Z redesign is absolutely perfect.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 480x448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 480x448px
>>15054034
>Another anon who prefers OVA Mazinger
>>
File: fa20130321o1a.jpg (191KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
fa20130321o1a.jpg
191KB, 800x565px
Okawara by miles
>>
File: PkXrc.jpg (44KB, 375x575px) Image search: [Google]
PkXrc.jpg
44KB, 375x575px
No katoki?
>>
>>15051337
>designer
>brags on his illustrations and animation instead
?
>>
>>15051397
then what is OP going on about

is he from reddit or just moron?
>>
File: obari-mecha-redesigns.jpg (480KB, 1280x1100px) Image search: [Google]
obari-mecha-redesigns.jpg
480KB, 1280x1100px
>>15051337
As >>15051397 basically points out, Obari is primarily an animator his redesigns are prominent but he doesn't really design anything, even the OP pic of compatible kaiser is just a redesign.
>>
>>15059184
Dancouga Mech is pretty ugley
>>
>>15059184
I would say Obari debatably improved all of them except maybe Dancouga.
>>
File: shurouga.jpg (123KB, 698x573px) Image search: [Google]
shurouga.jpg
123KB, 698x573px
>>15059184
Compatikaiser is a thorough enough "redesign" that it might as well have been designed from scratch. About the only thing it has in common with the original Kaiser is "big red and yellow super robot with the letters BF on its chest."

Similarly, Shurouga may have a bit in common with Cybuster, but I'd still consider it an Obari original.
>>
>>15051543
>Most recently is Ippei Gyoubu has this wonderful weird aesthetic to all their robots that looks both alienesque yet has a certain grounded feel to them. It's kind of a shame both G-Reco and IBO have been kinda middling shows because it's obvious why Sunrise like this guy, he's probably the freshest robot designer in recent years.
Gyobu is great when he works on "round" designs (Rodis, Grimoire). His "square" designs are weird, especially the Hugo.
>>
>>15059826
>all of them except maybe Dancouga
>except maybe Dancouga
>except Dancouga
>>
>>15059859
I like Dancouga's blocky look. I don't like it looking all generic Obari style.
>>
>>15059854
I suppose so, but can we agree to OP's blatant faggotry about Obari as a designer for the shows he's mentioning? Most of those shows are ones he did animation for, not design.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.