[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /m/ believe in aliens?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

File: 5_28252.jpg (239KB, 869x1262px) Image search: [Google]
5_28252.jpg
239KB, 869x1262px
Does /m/ believe in aliens?
>>
File: puppies.png (1MB, 1288x880px) Image search: [Google]
puppies.png
1MB, 1288x880px
>>15050303

Well, it sure as shit wasn't puppies...
>>
What do you guys think about the idea of "There are aliens way out there, but their technology isn't any better than ours, so they can't reach us just as we can't reach them?"
>>
>>15050403
>"There are aliens way out there, but their technology isn't any better than ours, so they can't reach us just as we can't reach them?"
If there's ayy lmaos out there, it's very likely that most of them are in that scenario. Even more so if cheating the speed of light really is impossible.
There's also the possibility of worlds with plenty of life but don't have any species capable of constructing technology.
>>
>>15050403
>>15050409
What if we're actually the first intelligent life with civilization and technology? That maybe we'll be alone until we die out?
>>
>>15050403
I think of it more based on sheer probability.
But I think that there's definitely life out there, even as a single celled(or whatever base unit exists elsewhere for life) organism
So I've come down to 3 possibilities
>Aliens for sure exist, because there is always a chance that whatever reaction created single-cell organisms on earth could happen else where.

>It's possible Aliens exist, but we don't comprehend them as life forms.
An example of this is Yukikaze which I haven't seen but basically the aliens think our technology are lifeforms because they're metallic lifeforms

>we are like ants to them, so they don't bother, or can't even notice us.
>>
Or what if WE are the progenitor race, the eldest of the Universe' sapient children?
>>
>>15050303

What like people from Europe?
>>
>>15050416

As Gerge Carlin once said, if we really are alone in the universe, then the universe aimed low and settled for very little.
>>
>>15050582
George*
>>
>>15050582
Well hey, someone's gotta be first.
>>
I'd like to think they do but I don't think there's enough data for an answer and never will be, unless we bump into some.
>>
File: IMG_2661.jpg (360KB, 2048x875px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2661.jpg
360KB, 2048x875px
I believe they are out there. The universe is lie...really fucking huge that if we tried to wrap our minds around it, it would explode! But because the universe is so big..by sheer probability ther just HAS to be other life out there. Whether it's a cell or a bug.

Know to get into the Mecha side of it. I hope that if they visit us, they'll be peaceful and make us mechas. And if they're evil, we will have super robots to fight them off!
>>
>>15050403
I think aliens being at the same technology level as humanity is actually fairly implausible. Honestly, this is a pretty narrow window of technological development we're in right now, any other life is going to be either more or less advanced than we are. More likely, there are some physical limits that advanced technology just can't cross. If FTL is impossible, or even just unfeasible, then they could be immensely more advanced than us and still take centuries to reach us. Maybe even longer. It's a big universe we live in. Hell, we've only been using radio for the past 120 years, so even if FTL does exist there are good chances they just haven't run into our signals yet. The region of space in which you can tell humanity exists is 240 light years across (realistically, it's much smaller, most of our radio signals aren't that strong. But let's just assume these aliens were searching for life and as such had very strong antennas). Space is so big that they could have just not wandered into that region yet.
>>
Eh, sure. There's an infinite universe out there, who's to say that there's some planet smack-dab in the middle of nowhere like our own with qt 3.14 alien grills?
>>
File: Nagai on God.jpg (54KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Nagai on God.jpg
54KB, 667x1000px
I believe in God, but according to Go Nagai he's an alien, so yeah.
>>
>>15050700
Man, that was stupid.
>>
>>15050700
>>15050730
>extraplanetary being
>not an alien
>>
>>15050730
you're just butthurt because Nagai insulted your precious Abrahamic God, by insinuating he's evil, and from outer space. That's not stupid, that's being logical.
>>
File: Duke 3.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Duke 3.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>15050303
I know for a fact that Vegans exist and they live among us.
>>
>>15050894
There should be a new Grendizer anime where the Vegans are actually vegans.
>>
>>15050303
Depending on the /m/-related works
>>
File: get a load of this guy.gif (2MB, 400x206px) Image search: [Google]
get a load of this guy.gif
2MB, 400x206px
>>15050799
No need to get so angry about this. Sheesh. Are you triggered by the fact that somebody does indeed believe in God or something?

>>15050768
Look up the definition of extraplanetary being.
>>
>>15051836
Fuck off Xpearse
>>
File: 1469648206041.png (247KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
1469648206041.png
247KB, 500x411px
>>15051846
Oh, so no argument? Typical.
>>
>>15050799
I don't even believe in God and it's still completely stupid
>>
>>15051836
>>15051938
Even disregarding Christian religions that actually view God as an extraterrestrial being (Mormonism), all Nagai did was take God from classic canon to its logical conclusion. The modern portrayal of God is quite different from how it was in Dante's time. In the past, God's form was associated with pure light and the sun. Nagai gave this a sci-fi twist, portraying God as a sentient energy form. Then Nagai based God's actions on descriptions of old and new testament works, along with the divine comedy. Obviously, in this broad view, God is wrathful. Additionally, Nagai took the concepts of God existing within everyone and creating man in his image literally to develop another sci-fi concept: humans are created by God and their souls are a portion of God's energy. It's with this kind of method that Nagai created major elements of Demon Lord Dante and Devilman. It's all based on Christian mythology but given a sci-fi perspective. You don't have to like it, but it became a pretty popular angle that worked well for later works like Evangelion which also featured alien deities.
>>
>>15052006
You make it sounds like a lot of thought was put into it, but it's still a pretty shallow and childish interpretation. Devilman works better without the religious bullshit anyway.
>>
>>15052006
Underrated post
>>
>>15053010
t. Pedro
>>
>>15052169
>>15053097
fuck off Mario
>>
File: 1443859513737.png (266KB, 635x457px) Image search: [Google]
1443859513737.png
266KB, 635x457px
>>15052169
>but it's still a pretty shallow and childish interpretation
literally not a fucking argument
>>
>>15050303
I believe in ancient aliens that come from the future.
>>
>>15052169
There's nothing childish about God being aliens. In fact, even the debunked ancient astronauts "theory" still held more weight than the mystical God of creation.

Aliens are far more likely to exist than God, so Nagai's explanation is actually more mature than childish.

Just because you call it childish doesn't mean it actually is, Juan.
>>
>>15052006
The main issue is that this interpretation of god basically needs to ignore the entire New Testament aside from Revelations.

Even regarding Revelations, they always seem to omit Christ in a heavenly form appearing there and leading heaven's armies, since it'd give a human identity to one of the important figures there.

Also, the bible does give a physical description of god which is oddly ignored in all the works derived from similar interpretations. Although it's true in Revelations he's described as a shinning being with Christ taking his more human-like description (white hair, red eyes).
>>
File: 1482712561892.jpg (174KB, 658x370px) Image search: [Google]
1482712561892.jpg
174KB, 658x370px
>>15052169
Underrated post. I highly doubt Nagai put much thought into it, too.

>>15052006
It still comes off as really stupid, though. God is the true demon and dem demons din do nuffin. And like how dante becomes a kaiju where all 3 things combine because space magic radiation or whatever the fuck happens. Can't remember fully, but it was pretty stupid.

>Evangelion
Yeah, except all that is pure window-dressing because dude I thought that sounded cool.
>>
>>15050403
Relieved.
>>
I believe in Kamen Rider
>>
>>15050667
I can see us running into aliens that are more advance than us in some fields, but less advanced in others due to their biology, home world or other factors. For example suppose you have a race that came from a world with little to no gravity or atmosphere. For all we know their space program could be huddling their crab bodies together and getting spit into orbit by a geyser. Their engineering skills might only be on par with the 18th century, but they might have a really good understanding of chemistry and geology because they need to mini-terraform new geysers onto each world they visit.
>>
>>15056568
Nah, shut up.
>>
>>15055677
Fuck off xpearse
>>
>>15050303
I really wonder if there's life on some of those moons that have oceans under ice, like Europa. I don't think we'll have true interstellar travel in my lifetime, but I would at least like to see if there's anything else living in our neighborhood.

If there are aliens on Europa or in any other off-Earth ocean, I doubt they'd be intelligent, but I also think they'd be super scary. I mean, Earth's deep sea is frightening enough, just think about what might be lurking in the moons of Jupiter or Saturn.
>>
>>15050303
Yes, I think it's dumb to suggest no other intelligent life exists. Our existence proves the probability of it happening is above 0, which means that no matter how unlikely it's literally possible it can happen again.

What I find interesting is that natural human arrogance assumes that visiting aliens will be on our level of intelligence, at least to a recognisable level (for instance, we could recognise that they're way more advanced than us, but they still think like us). It's far more likely that (as >>15050423 mentions) any civilisation able to travel between stars quick enough to be wantonly exploring the galaxy would be as far above us as we are above ants. And yeah, if we came across a planet where ants were the dominant species we might observe them for a bit but we wouldn't bother trying to talk to them.

I think the first alien civilisation we encounter will be energy- or data-based. You can opt for much faster, more efficient travel if you don't have to worry about things like squishy bodies or physical food.
>>
I think assuming aliens will make enough sense to us to fit into some sort of evolutionary timescale is a bit of a stretch.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.