[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>the robot was the best character Why is this so common?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: 1453714169972.jpg (233KB, 750x482px) Image search: [Google]
1453714169972.jpg
233KB, 750x482px
>the robot was the best character
Why is this so common?
>>
They're like dogs. They just wanna do a good job.
>>
>when the machine is more human than the rest of the cast
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (57KB, 485x609px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
57KB, 485x609px
Washburne can't get a break in space can he?
>>
>>15044521
because the human character are only there to fill in the minority check box, outside of that they don't give a shit if they are good characters.
>>
>>15044521
Sarcastic, competent, good dialogue, totally bro, "he"'s not a human being, so this makes him more interesting by default, he also does a couple of awesome things and his last scene is one the most epic. The death of the two monks, for example, does not have the same strength.
>>
>>15044824
The main geoup was just so hapzardly thrown together in the first place. They just met and Andor is already giving the monks orders like they're part of the rebel alliance under him and everyone just kind of rolls with it like they've known each other for a while. My friends and I were even joking that they didn't even know each others names by the end of the movie.
>>
>>15044521
>Why is this so common?

Humans can't do sarcasm right.
>>
Nah, the chink was better.
>>
Robots have no character by default, so writers need to put a lot more work into making them relatable and funny and shit. Otherwise the audience just tunes them out.

Look at how R2-D2 works. He's easy to anthropomorphism because he has spunk and coos like a baby.

K2 felt out of place in the movie to me. He was there for comic relief and to say "haha fuck you guys I don't even want to be here" while still saying 'badass' shit. He was like the TRPG character your asshole friend makes.
>>
File: silent-running4.jpg (30KB, 524x300px) Image search: [Google]
silent-running4.jpg
30KB, 524x300px
>>15045089
>>
File: Pegas.jpg (33KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Pegas.jpg
33KB, 480x480px
>>15045089
No character has character by default and it is a fatal mistake of a writer to assume so

Robots are usually the best because they are amoral and their mannerisms are different enough from human mannerisms to be more interesting or entertaining. In the cases where this is not so or the robot becomes "humanized," the robot is rarely the best character. See: Aigis.
>>
>>15045127
No humanity, I should say. Not character.

That was a central element to both 2001 and Blade Runner, that the artificial minds tended to act in a more human way than the humans themselves.
>>
>>15045089
>say "haha fuck you guys I don't even want to be here"

Also HAHA this is ONLY THE SECOND TIME I HAVE BEEN BRAINWASHED AND THEN ENSLAVED. LET'S DO THIS MISSION SO THAT I CAN GO BACK TO WRITING "HATE" IN VERY SMALL LETTERS ALL OVER YOUR SPACESHIP INTERIORS.
>>
he's no HK-47, but he is a really fun character.
>>
File: sad beep.png (112KB, 225x209px) Image search: [Google]
sad beep.png
112KB, 225x209px
>>15045089
>Look at how R2-D2 works. He's easy to anthropomorphism because he has spunk and coos like a baby.
pic related
>>
>>15045089
>>15045149
>I don't even want to be here
Literally 90% of his bitching was "why can't I come?"
>>
>>15044521
he was the only one with a character
>>
>>15044824

Jyn and Cassian wouldn't have found the plans if it wasn't for him scouring the archives and locking the archive's door when a horde of Stormtroopers arrived. He's the real hero.

>>15044832

I don't think the monk and his Samoan BFF knew what they were doing there either, but I liked the monk's combat scenes so I don't care if he had no motivation.
>>
>>15045410
The monks, at last blind one, were led by the force. In fact they do not know what to do, but this not even matter. The Force tells them to be "there", in the right place at the right moment... the rest is improvisation .

I know it's a poor reason, but the force has always functioned as a magical deus ex.
>>
>>15044521
Easy to program
>>
File: all others are second best.png (551KB, 1022x1094px) Image search: [Google]
all others are second best.png
551KB, 1022x1094px
>>15044521
you are on /m/ after all
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.