[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what exactly is the point of Stormtrooper armor if doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: 4897148163235654.jpg (257KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
4897148163235654.jpg
257KB, 970x545px
So what exactly is the point of Stormtrooper armor if doesn't protect against anything? Just got back from watching Rogue One and in one single movie I noticed that their armor doesn't protect against...

>...blaster fire
>...explosions
>...electric shock
>...wooden sticks
>>
Intimidation via Codpieces
>>
>>15042955
To look like spooky skeletons and to let the kids know they are the "badguys."
Also to sell action figures. Stormtroopers are huge money makers.
>>
>>15042955

Environmental protection presumably.
>>
File: 0zrlb5338y.jpg (100KB, 600x461px) Image search: [Google]
0zrlb5338y.jpg
100KB, 600x461px
>>15042955
It's kinda like African life jackets you know?
>>
Pretty sure there is a Rogue One thread up already.
>>
>>15042955

http://www.dorkly.com/post/81631/this-star-wars-fan-theory-proves-stormtroopers-arent-as-wimpy-as-they-seem
>>
>>15043010
>Dorkly
>>
>>15043015
I know, they steal from Reddit. But it's still a cool theory.

Plus, they called out IBO.
>>
>>15043029
Explain further.
>>
Because the Empire decided to cheap out on armor for the new Stormtroopers and down-graded from the Clone armor. It protects from environmental hazards like gas and vacuum but that's about it.
>>
Stormtroopers basically became glorified military police, not a war ready fighting like the clones were.
>>
>>15043038
>With some exceptions, each series in the Gundam franchise is about something -- probably something horrible. For example, the original Mobile Suit Gundam and its direct follow-ups are mostly about the Earth's inevitable destruction at the hands of uncaring human beings

>Iron-Blooded Orphans is not an exception, however. The pretty damn popular new series is centered around child soldiers, and the interplanetary evils of unchecked capitalism. Upon realizing which series she got written into, Martian aristocrat Kudelia Aina Berstein decides to do something about it. Specifically, she means to reach Earth and negotiate for an end to the classist corruption choking the life out of anyone not living on homo sapiens' home world.

>In doing so she comes into contact with the group that eventually names itself "Tekkadan." These are the titular Iron-Blooded Orphans -- child soldiers, and slaves led by Orga Itsuka, and his right-hand teenager Mikazuki Augus.

>Mikazuki fills the shoes of oh-so-many Gundam protagonists before him. He pilots the central mech of the series, and shows miraculous abilities as a pilot. Bully for him, and the rest of Tekkadan! Except... Not so much. Unlike the idealistic, even naive heroes of Gundam series past Mikazuki is a straight-up psychopath. He murders -- murders, brutally, not just defeats -- foe after foe that crosses his field of view. Even those that don't pose an immediate threat, or otherwise offer Tekkadan some kind of peaceable solution, are gore-fully squished by young Augus without warning or emotion

>By sheer happenstance, most of this happens out of view of the rest of his organization -- particularly the younger ones. That lasts until the climax show's first season, anyway, at which point the impressionable youths see just what kind of person Mikazuki is. And they eat it up, thinking that his revenge-fueled homicides aren't only justified, but downright cool. All of which leaves a lot for IBO to unpack in season two
>>
>>15043056
>Republic
>clones are almost superhuman fighting machines

>Empire
>troopers can almost hit something before dying
>>
>>15042955
Hey he was swinging that wooden stick really fucking hard, CHUNKS of armor was flying off, impact alone would floor them armor or no armor.
>>
>>15043092

The major reason the Clonetroopers hit stuff in the Clone Wars is because there was so much stuff to hit that it was almost impossible to miss most of the time. The Stormtroopers are normally aiming at a small band of people. Maybe 5 or 10, compared to the dozens of things Clonetroopers often had to aim at.
>>
>>15042955
It's just like when German soldiers in WWI were issued with reversed rifle bullets. While they were totally ineffective against anything with more than 1/4" (inch) of armor, they were still told that they would be effective anti-tank bullets capable of penetrating armor and killing crew. Thus, instead of succumbing to tank shock and running, the German troops would stand their ground.

Stormtrooper armor is the same. It creates suicidal bravado in stormtroopers so that they can operate just like the expendable clone troopers from the Clone Wars. They don't require the deep indoctrination that clones do, can still operate individually, and will give their lives no matter what.
>>
>>15043089
Sounds like it was written by someone who thinks he could find a random AlQuaeda child solder give them a hug and a warm bowl of soup and they'd not murder the writer anyway for being a filthy whatever the arabic word for infidel is.
Child soldiers are broken humans because if they're not, they're dead, and it takes years and years of rehabilitation to recondition them, even then it's not always successful. Mikazuki being an emotionless killer is perfectly par for the course.
>>
>>15043092
Clone trooper were literally made for fighting with 10/10 genetics and intense training.

Storm trooper are just random guys.
>>
>>15043089
Damn, how scathing.

Man I got my hopes up for nothing.
>>
>>15043113

It's also not really calling the show out. It's identifying a character flaw, not saying the flaw is wrong in some way or that the show hasn't done anything with it - just that it's a flaw that sets a lot of expectations for the second season.
>>
>>15043105
Doesn't that make it harder? Humans get distracted easily when they're only good at handling single tasks. It takes superhuman focus to pick something up and give it your full attention while everything around you is going straight to hell.
>>
>>15043089
How is this calling out anything though? It's not even a critique, it's just an analysis, barring whatever happens at the end of S2 and what might be revealed about his backstory, Mika is like Popeye he ams what he ams, a broken in child soldier who got good at doing what he did,
It actually reminds me of Berserk allot with the band of the hawk and Everybody looking up to the heroic leader.
>>
>>15043089
>and the interplanetary evils of unchecked capitalism

Mercantilism is not capitalism, confirmed moron.
>>
>>15042971
>To look like spooky skeletons
They're supposed to look like oni.
>>
>>15043271

I doubt that, since they don't have much, if any of the traditional Oni hallmarks, like coloration (blue or red), weapons (a club a lot of the time), horns and so on.
>>
>>15043271
I don't think Lucas was THAT into ching-chong mythology.
>>
>>15043314
M8, George Lucas was and still is a humongous weeaboo.
>>
>>15043206
Except Guts showed remorse for comitting murder. It was the biggest part of his character development.

Also Berserk has character development, IBO doesn't.
>>
>>15042955
I thought it got handwaved away somewhere or other that the armour was like a real bullet proof vest in that could soak enough damage to prevent the wearer's death, but they would still be down for the count.
>>
>>15042971
This. That's the thing you always see in the merch, from the top end to the cheapest drugstore schlock. Vader, Stormtrooper, and Yoda. Anything there they don't have to pay actor likeness royalties.
>>
>>15044910
But simply stating that Gundam's latest teenager has no remorse isn't exactly calling it out. It's just describing what it is, not really condemning it. I could say G Gundam's protag is straight out of a chop-socky film and that's not really calling it out about it.
>>
>>15045718
I have no part in your discussion. I'm merely disagreeing with you comparing IBO to Berserk.
>>
>>15042955
Gas
>>
>>15043105
It's probably the training. The clones raised to be soldiers. Seems like Stormtroopers will enlist anybody with all their fingers and toes and not too fat and just give them really minimal combat training before posting them somewhere.
>>
File: Screenshot (470).png (622KB, 585x857px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (470).png
622KB, 585x857px
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/812176826185367552

and then

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/812177711124709376
>>
>>15043246
Mercantilism is an economical theory from the period of early capitalism. And I don't see how IBO universe matches it.
>>
It's actually a very good anti-shrapnel armor and it protects from gas attacks and stuff.
>>
>>15047868
I assumed it was a space suit
>>
>>15048765
>it protects
That is just about the one thing it does not do.
>>
File: EMPIRE BITCH.jpg (759KB, 2048x1280px) Image search: [Google]
EMPIRE BITCH.jpg
759KB, 2048x1280px
During the fight on Jedha, Donnie Yen's character uses a Stormtrooper as a human shield.

The Trooper takes a least four blaster bolts before he is tossed aside. The entire time, the Trooper is struggling and screaming and reacting to the hits

Stormtrooper armor works, but apparently only against their friendly fire
>>
>>15048779
It's not airtight, but in Star Wars that doesn't matter because space is comfy. Stormtrooper armour (or in fact, just the helmet, even if you're naked because Star Wars!) is enough to keep you alive in space as long as there is an oxygen tank hooked up. They don't usually have oxygen tanks, so any stormtroopers you see get sucked into space die of asphyxiation (they do not suffer from decompression though, space is so comfy even if it sucks you out into it.)

Star Wars.
>>
>>15048001
There was some attempt to explain their crap aim with some comics saying that Vader would take all the actually good Stormtroopers and put them in his 501st Legion, while every other legion was pretty trash. That only explains some of it, because they were the legion stationed on the Death Star and they were definitely just as bad. But they were also the legion at Hoth who utterly destroyed the Rebels.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.