[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Expanded Universes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: uc gundam.jpg (175KB, 590x478px) Image search: [Google]
uc gundam.jpg
175KB, 590x478px
After seeing Rogue One and being rather disappointed, I have to question whether there's a single franchise out there with a universe that can sustain multiple different stories without relying heavily on fanservice or feeling out of place. No matter what franchise I think of, like UC Gundam, Macross, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc, none of their universes stand solidly enough to support other's ideas without relying on callbacks.

Has there ever been an Expanded Universes that's worked well, or are they all disjointed with wild fluctuations in quality across the individual stories?
>>
Rogue one was is not expanded universe. Star Wars' expanded universe was rebooted, killed by disney. Rogue one is the new canon.
>>
>>15037409
It's the new expanded universe. Anything that didn't happen in the original trilogy is an expanded universe. Whether it's canon or not is irrelevant.
>>
>>15037399
What about all the Dynamics? Go Nagai seems to think everything, both mecha and non-mecha, he's ever made belongs in the same universe plus Getter.
>>
>>15038841
>Getter
Getter works more on a multiverse at this point with every series being self contained. This theory gets a bit more push considering several Getter entries have referenced, acknowledged, or shown alternate timelines/dimensions with Getter Valhalla seeming to be a consistent end of every universe and Armageddon literally showing that multiple versions of the Getter team are fighting together.

All the Getter crossovers to Go Nagai stuff is arguable if it should even be taken into any consideration for canonicity.

I don't know if Getter can be counted as an expanded universe since no 2 stories exist in the same universe, but it it counts then I'd pick that.
>>
>>15038841
>Go Nagai seems to think everything he's ever made belongs in the same universe
No, that's not how it works at all. He just reuses characters as actors. He does the same thing with concepts, reuses them with a twist. None of it is in any sort of shared universe, that's never been anything but fanwank.

It's a somewhat common thing for Japanese artists. Tezuka calls it the 'star system'.
>>
>>15037399
Fafner, maybe? I haven't seen Exodus, but people seem to like it more than the original

Perhaps it works best when the first few entries aren't anything special
>>
>>15037399
>none of their universes stand solidly enough to support other's ideas without relying on callbacks.

Not sure what point you're trying to make, OP.

If a new work doesn't draw from the original work in some way, then it feels out of place in the continuity. It'd be like Robocop and Starship Troopers taking place in the same universe even though there's really nothing that ties them together. And if you can't tell if it's the same continuity, then the new work may as well be a brand new IP.
>>
>>15040701
Exodus isn't expanded universe. It's a sequel to the first series which was already good, it's just that Exodus was even better.
>>
>>15042937
Not necessarily. Mellowlink has almost nothing in common with VOTOMs other than setting elements. It doesn't make any reference to the plot of its parent series and yet it doesn't feel remotely out of place because it shares the setting and the same general tone.
>>
>>15043028
>almost

That's OP's thesis: Eventually EU works will draw upon the original source regardless of how independent the new material is. Otherwise, the only thing that ties the them together is the sole presumption that both take place in the same fictional universe despite there being a complete lack of any signs that they do.
>>
I would say Gundam Seed Astray, but the sidestories are so out-of-place due to proper usage of in-universe tech by an outside-the-box thinker/tinkerman(Lowe Gear)
>>
>>15037399
GunBuster and DieBuster.
>>
Technically, Five Star Stories is a spinoff of L-Gaim. It's basically Nagnao's reimagination of what L-Gaim should've been after his dissatisfaction with it.

I really wish Tomino had interest in exploring the universes of Dunbine and L-Gaim more. There's so much story potential there.
>>
>>15038841
True
>>
>>15037399
I believe this was just his personal opinion.
>>
File: 147843646807688.jpg (463KB, 1280x934px)
147843646807688.jpg
463KB, 1280x934px
>>15037399
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.