[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was your introduction to mecha?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0278.jpg (269KB, 719x1111px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0278.jpg
269KB, 719x1111px
Mine was the typical, Gurren Lagann, then I heard that the main inspiration for Gurren Lagann was Getter Robo then I watched that...then I kept on watching more and more mecha and that's how I got introduced. Thanks Gurren Lagann!
>>
>>15037250
Megas XLR was the first mecha thing I saw, but I didn't really get into until I discovered SRW
>>
Transformers Armada I guess
>>
>>15037250
Beast Wars and Transformers in general are what sparked the interest, but I think it was Full Metal Panic that cemented my love of mecha which is why I still have a soft spot for that series.
>>
Stumbled across the Dubbed 0079 movie when I was younger. Forgot about it for years and then came back and got
Interested. Watched 0079 and mecha fan ever since
>>
>>15037250
Gundam wing, it started every weekday right after beyblade when I was in kindergarten.
I didn't understand a lick of english or even read the subtitles, but I was hooked the moment when I saw the intro with cool robots fucking shit up.
>>
File: 52252-Front_Mission_3_(E)-5.jpg (105KB, 640x444px) Image search: [Google]
52252-Front_Mission_3_(E)-5.jpg
105KB, 640x444px
honestly can't remember my first mecha anime but front mission 3 was the thing that got me into mecha in general
was looking for more shit like final fantasy tactics and stumbled upon it
>>
Probably power rangers, it first aired when I was 5. But aside from that I'd say Gundam Wing on Toonami. I was14 in its first run.
>>
Outlaw Star, if that counts. That was more my introduction to sci-fi shit in general though. I didn't get into mecha specifically until Gurren Lagann.
>>
If we're limiting this to shows originally from japan it was probably either Voltron or reruns of Battle of the Planets, I can't be sure of exactly which was the first i saw, but I do distinctly remember watching both when I was very young.
>>
Power Rangers if that counts, if not then NGE or Godannar (can't remember which I saw first).
>>
File: 1404011200885.jpg (118KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
1404011200885.jpg
118KB, 500x666px
>>15037250
BAH WEEP GRANNA WEEP NINIBARR
>>
Robotech Macross Saga.

Them Transforming jets just hit something so right inside my little young brain.

Voltron and Transformers came later. I owned Skyfire's figure before I even knew who he was as a Transformer... I just knew it was a "Veritech" from Robotech.

Of course I know better now, but back then, that was all there was.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
Truth to be told, I saw Mazinger when I was like 5 or something, but I don't remember much. My real love for mechs didn't awaken until I played Front Mission.
>>
Do You Remember Love
>>
And remember guys, it doesn't have to be a anime that got you into it. It could be a video game, western movie or cartoon as well!
>>
Escaflowne back in the late 90s, didn't know that it was called anime.
>>
File: 9343000.jpg (734KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
9343000.jpg
734KB, 600x800px
I think I was 4 years old when this started showing in Hong Kong. Cantonese-dubbed too. Which were all amazing back then.
>>
First thing I saw was Voltron, in english, when I was about four or five and happened to spot it while flipping through channels. That was actually how I even discovered the Cartoon Network CHANNEL in the first place. Didn't really understand all that well back then what I was watching though, just that there were a bunch of neat lion robots. Much later on I'd discover mecha properly through Toonami. Gundam Wing, G Gundam, various incarnations of Zoids, and their Giant Robot Week event, that gave me a brief look at a bunch of different shows. I forget exactly when it was I saw the dubbed version of Mazinkaiser... but for some reason I seem to recall it being televised to some extent as well. Those were my foundations for mecha, with Kaiser being how I got into SRW through the translation for J.
>>
>>15038837
What is it called?
>>
>>15039833
Ganbaruger. Subdivers has the whole thing on YT.
>>
>>15037436

Gundam wing was my intro too. My friend had sky, so I would come and watch it. He wanted to play outside whilst I wanted to watch Gundam, as I didn't have sky. Probs why my top suits are still Leo, Tallgeese and Mercurius.

I loved beyblade too. But that was on terrestrial channels.
>>
I don't remember my exact first exposure to mecha, it could have been anything from the Armored Core PSX demo to Super Robot Wars 3 on an emulator to the demo for that old Gundam Dreamcast game. Or Power Rangers and snippets of Gundam Wing, of course.

But the first mecha anime/show I saw in its entirety was the original Mobile Suit Gundam as an adult.
>>
G Gundam and Vandread
>>
Battletech and Mechwarrior were my first exposure to mecha. First exposure to eastern mecha (i.e. anime) was G Gundam and The Big O. Toonami was the shit.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.