[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rogue One

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 36

File: rogueone_logo.0.0.jpg (39KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
rogueone_logo.0.0.jpg
39KB, 1600x900px
So what did you think, /m/? Just got out of it, and the hype is still wearing off but I liked it.
>>
File: Dom.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dom.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
>>15025854
Did Vader get to wreak face?
>>
>>15025886
Short answer, yes. Long answer, yes. It wasn't a terribly long scene, but he was a whirlwind of death during it.
>>
File: Macross cool.png (15KB, 65x122px) Image search: [Google]
Macross cool.png
15KB, 65x122px
>>15025888
Sweet, how was the fighter action?
>>
>>15025892
Easily the best it's been since Return of the Jedi, though like that movie it suffers from not giving us a point of view character piloting a fighter. But it sure looks cool.
>>
I heard they were trying to drag some election drama into the movie.

Was there any blatantly obnoxious preaching about how war is hard or whatever?
>>
>>15025930

I read all the articles about it before this, but honestly I didn't see any of it. Typical overreactions. There aren't even any rants about why the Empire is bad, it's just a fact. It's shown, not talked about.

Anyone pitching a fit is seeing what they want to see.

>>15025892

I enjoyed it a lot. I don't know if we've seen them before, but there's a neat what seems to be in-atmosphere TIE fighter that I at least hadn't seen before. It's good stuff.
>>
Great costumes and tech, mechs looked alright, At-ats getting blasted.

Also atmospheric star desyroyers, since when does that happen?
>>
>>15025951
I was thinking about that too, since I thought TCW established a certain ship class as being the largest that could operate atmospherically.

Could just be that it's a smaller class, or it could be someone forgetting that fact.
>>
>>15025930
There is a power struggle subplot. Mild politicking and central to the story but nothing to do with presidential campaigns.
>>
>>15025951
>Also atmospheric star desyroyers, since when does that happen?
Been happening for a quite a while. Not new.
>>
>the audience I was with went complete apeshit when a lightsaber ignited

It was like I was 7 again.
>>
>>15025970
The second credits started rolling my theater applauded.

Seeing the lightsaber moment was fantastic.
>>
>>15025973
>mfw the Americans clapping meme is true
Thankfully I live in a civilised country and the only noise I heard from the audience was mild laughter whenever K activated his vocabulator.
>>
No Mandalorians? Bummer.
>>
>>15026084
>He doesn't clap at the theater
Barbarian.
>>
Everything a good Star Wars film should be.

1. Vader
2. Tarkin
3. Very, very good space fleet battle. Amazing ground fights too. Very much a WAR film which was nice.
4. Throwbacks to both TV shows.
5. Respectful throwbacks to the PT without being overbearing about it.
6. Manages to homage ANH without being a blatant retelling like ep 7.
7. Does a good job with characters despite a big 7 samurai like cast and only a 2 hour film to tell it in. Plays out like a heroic tragedy and it works pretty well, especially in the 3rd act. Which has massive, massive payoff.

Much as I liked Kyle Katarn, this is a way cooler plans theft story.
>>
>>15026098
Why would there be Mandalorians? Mandalore is toast.
>>
>>15025958
it was a thing in the old EU where Victory Classes where the largest, don't remember it in the new canon, but then again it was also a moon thus the gravity might not have been as bad
>>
>>15026210
>2. Tarkin
Hard to consider it a lpus when they went with the bizarre, awkward uncanny valley route of 'digital resurrection' instead of just showing us the face of the recasted actor.

Honestly disrespectful to Peter Cushing.
>>
This was the most /M/ star wars to fucking date

starfighters vs ATATs, ATATs laughing off manpads and being holy shit run monsters
ATST wrecking shit, new light tank looking vehicle for the Empire
bunch of new weapons and troop variants on both sides
Most active Capital Ship participation in a space battle ever, brand new Capital Ship designs
Planetary Shield
bunch of different fighters, Y Wings doing stuff
a fucking Hammerhead Corvetter ramming a disabled Star Destroyer into another fucking Star Destroyer
Vader's Star Destroyer just wrecking shit
Vader being a god damn force of nature
>>
>>15026238
It's kind of a wash in my book cause while the CGI was uncanny valley as Hell the VA was fucking spot on, also his role was boss as fuck
>>
>>15025951
>>15025958
>>15025968
>>15026237
In the old EU, Victory-class Star Destroyers were the largest capital ships capable of descending into a planetary atmosphere.

Imperial Star Destroyers were larger than Victories and couldn't do it, lacking the airfoils and repulsorlifts that Victories had in exchange for more armor and more firepower.
>>
File: 1480800799059.jpg (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1480800799059.jpg
15KB, 400x400px
For the sake of entertainment and storytelling regarding both EU/Disney, I feel as if there was wasted potential on the characterization of Jyn.

Were there any believable external pressures or internal conflict?

Jyn was already an empire hating rebellious type from her time with Saw Gerrera. We have no idea of her character traits other than the details of Jyn's detainment records; Forgery of Imperial documents, possession of stolen property, aggravated assault, and resisting arrest.

She was granted an opportunity to find her father via a mediation with Gerrera with no strings attached. The only twist was she had to work with not Kyle Katarn whom merely omitted details about his mission. There was a disagreement and the "ordeal" was sorted when not Kyle simply accepts more ethical behavior.
. Its almost as if there was no character development for either Jyn or not kyle. In the end they both agree to be not dicks.

>Jyn: see hologram, technical detail of Death Star is conveyed, relay to rebels on blind trust.
>Not Kyle Katarn: continue being rebel and slightly compromise ethics - pussy in sight, believe conjecture.
>Rebel Fleet: YOLO

>>15025970
>Audience lightly cheers when wing leaders report in.

Familiar goosebumps man.
>>
>>15026493
There were a couple little character hooks that Donnie Yen dropped for Diego Luna to actually progress a little, but ultimately we just get his "I do what I have to do" speech and that's about it. Makes you wonder why the even bothered.
>>
>>15025912
>though like that movie it suffers from not giving us a point of view character piloting a fighter
>Forgetting about Lando
Blasp
>>
>>15025958
>TCW established
And the better Clone Wars cartoon that came out years beforehand contradicted that.
Fuck your shitty CG Nickelodeon cartoons underagefag
>>
>>15026512

I imagine he didn't count Lando since Lando isn't in a fighter, he's in a (heavily modified) freighter.
>>
>>15025854
I liked it. Not quite as much as TFA but the third act was fuckin' stellar. Only complain was I thought that the main cast was kinda underdeveloped but the performances were all really good. Hated the main girl though, she was worst part of the movie for me
>>
>>15026519
So, autism?
>>
>>15026512
>>15026519
>>forgetting wedge
>>forgetting ackbar
>>
It was okay. Liked it more than Force Awakens, at least.

I'm seeing people complaining about the CG characters but I didn't really have any problems with them. I DID however have a problem with the clumsy writing. There are plenty of ways to handle retroactively introducing new characters in a prequel and Rogue One did it in THE clumsiest possible way, where once you see it happen to one you know straight away that it's going to fucking happen to all of them.

>>15025930
>>15025959
>There is a power struggle subplot.

Grand Moff Tarkin trying to fuck over the guy who made the Death Star? I don't see how that's related to the elections at all.

>>15025930
Didn't notice ANYTHING about the elections at all. The most controversial thing might be how there's a vaguely middle eastern looking city occupied by the empire which patrols the place and gets attacked by guerillas (America = empire = NAZIS)
>>
Tech wise I'm guessing there's some explanation about the AT-ATs on Scarif being different or older models than the ones used on Hoth because about five of them get absolutely clowned by three X-Wings and one gunship.
>>
File: 1477805704332.jpg (22KB, 274x318px) Image search: [Google]
1477805704332.jpg
22KB, 274x318px
>>15026575
Here's your (you), /tv/'s that way.
>>
>>15026578
Also the cast of minorities and a woman felt like hilarious typical American pandering.
>>
>>15026590
Maybe it was, but Donnie Yen was far and away the best part of the cast. Diego Luna did a pretty good job as Cassian too. Its a shame that the main girl was so stiff in her role, she could barely emote.
>>
>>15026603
>Donnie Yen was far and away the best part of the cast.
He felt horribly out of place both as a character and with that accent and I'm saying that as a fucking Asian. Felt like retarded orientalism. I mean, sure, retarded orientalism has always been a part of Star Wars, but a blind monk with Daredevil powers and a shitty accent just goes a bit too far.
>>
>>15026252
Fuck, you're making me get hype now. I loved the action shots in Force Awakens with the X-Wings, so I'm hoping this'll be even more of that.
>>
>>15026623

The combat in this is better than TFA, I thought. I liked seeing Y-Wings actually *bombing* things.
>>
>>15026611
>and a shitty accent just goes a bit too far.

isn't that Donnie Yen's real Accent?
>>
>>15026582
AT-ACT. More likely less armored and used as mobile turrets instead of assault walkers.
>>
>>15026655
And it's a shitty one.
>>
>>15026632
>I liked seeing Y-Wings actually *bombing* things.
We never saw that before, did we?
Also:
>Evezan and Ponda
>"This is Red Five- I need some help here!"
>Vader still thinking bacta is going to help at this point
>>
>>15026582
I imagine the Rebellion designed the Snowspeeders with those walkers in mind, and the walkers that showed up on Hoth surprised them because they were more armored and had more firepower

>Luke- "That armor is too strong for blasters, use your tow cables"
>>
/m/ larps up Hollywood shit.

What else is new.
>>
>>15026660
and they had cargo container on it's most likely a "logistic" version
>>
>>15025892
The space battles and atmospheric fighter battles were the best I've seen in Star Wars. The film was very entertaining. There's an interesting distinction in this film about what the Rebellion could have been instead of what it actually became, and that was extremism, an uncomfortably realistic scene where insurgents in a desert town, some of which are literally wearing kaffiyah, ambush an Imperial repulsorcraft with zero regard to the safety of the citizens.

There's also a smashed Jedi statue on this same world, which is quite reminiscent of the Buddha statues that Al Qaeda demolished.
>>
>>15026252
Also, some people were upset about the fact that A and B-Wings came in early in Rebels. There were none in this movie, only X, Y, and the hybrid role U.

>>15026253
The CGI Peter Cushing moved way too fluidly to be human. It's an amazing leap forward in technology, though. I would say it won't be long before they can make CGI films that will have actors that are indistinguishable from the original actors. Which is going to open up a whole ethical discussion about what you can make those actors DO.
>>
>>15025930
It's so general that it can't really be interpreted as a direct reference to American politics. It's a power struggle of someone have the credit for a project they worked very hard on taken by someone who didn't work on it at all once it is proven to work. It's an asshole thing to do but it does happen in every aspect of politics and corporate life.
>>
>>15026493
>wing leaders report in.
I got chills down my spine when I heard RED LEADER STANDING BY
>>
>>15026985

I don't really see where the ethical struggle will be to be honest. The only actors they'd model on would be successful ones who have retired or died. Otherwise they'll just use a new model not based on anyone. And in such a case either the actor or their estate will have to sign off on anything they use them for before the movie is released. So there should never be a case where one goes too far and someone is free to sue over it. Even if they become unhappy after the film is released they should have signed something so their complaint is irrelevant.
>>
>>15027043
I think the idea is more that the estate who signs off on things for money may not make the same choices the actor would have done in life.
>>
>>15027054

Yea but there's really no-one left to say he wouldn't in that case. Some fans may disagree with the estate's decisions, but they're objectively less placed to know.
>>
>>15027000
>American politics
I thought the "hey guys, that shit we're pulling in Iraq? EVIL IMPERIALISM" was more relevant than the "politics".
>>
>>15027079
>>15027054
>yfw soon people will have to put in their wills if it's okay for their faces to be used in CGI
>>
>>15026226
There's still a Mandalore in the new canon
>>
>>15026985
There weren't any in New Hope either, which makes me think most of the A Wings had either been destroyed and they were waiting on new models, or they were all somewhere else. And B Wings were probably still in production since only the prototypes been seen in Rebels.
>>
Oh wait I looked this shit up and it has nothing to do with the contents of the movie itself.

>Rogue One writer Chris Weitz tweeted, “Please note that the Empire is a white supremacist (human) organization.” To which Gary Whitta, another writer, responded, “Opposed by a multi-cultural group led by brave women.”
>>
>>15027094

The Rebels in A New Hope were a single cell who only had X and Y-Wings according to the new canon if I recall, while those in Return were all cells. Hence Ackbar, all the Mon Cals and their capital ships.
>>
>>15027106
Well we know Phoenix Squadron was obviously there since we outright saw the Ghost a few times so that makes me think not having any A Wings left at that point(they die a LOT in Rebels) more likely.
>>
File: Vader 354 copy.jpg (655KB, 1886x2362px) Image search: [Google]
Vader 354 copy.jpg
655KB, 1886x2362px
>past few weeks
>"Disney would never show Vader slaughtering anyone in Rogue One"

I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING
>>
>>15027277
Of course they were gonna have him do it, they had to get light saber action in there somewhere.
>>
So how much of a mary sue was the main girl in this one like Rey was in TFA?
>>
>>15026575
Don't bring this shit here you fucking idiot.
>>
>>15027277
I still want a movie of Vader killing rebels Michael Myers style.
>>
>>15027106
But that makes no sense given how much importance Tarkin placed on the Death Star crushing the Rebels at Yavin IV. It's like the US deploying an entire carrier group just to kill a dozen RPG-wielding terrorists in the desert. The rebels on Yavin were both clearly their central headquarters, and it was implied that they were their main military or propaganda force, who were inspiring others to rebel.
>>
>>15027326

If they were the biggest and most prominent cell it makes some degree of sense, since their defeat would demoralise others. Tarkin also just ordered the destruction of whatever cell Leia was part of and the Falcon lead him too, not what he identified as solitary or central Rebellion command. He wanted to defeat the Rebellion in one go, but that doesn't mean he was on the path to do so.
>>
>>15027302
The mary sueness is as bad if not worse. The movie is mostly action scenes so the wooden MC doesn't stick out as much.

>jyn hates empire
>Rebels kill her father on eadu
>okay.jpeg
>gives speech at council for unequivocal support for rebellion
>she fit for commanding a insurgency
>tfwn character flaws
>still hates empire
>>
>>15025854
The "I rebel" scene isnt in it right? Is her dialogue during her recruitment still dumb though?
>>
>>15027352

>tfwn character flaws

Oh give me a fucking break.
>>
>>15027380
no it's super important and the only thing that ever decides what media I consume for reals I'm not just looking to cry about star wars
>>
>>15027352
>>she fit for commanding a insurgency
She never gets put in charge, though. The whole point is that they go to Scarif against the Alliance's orders. Even then, Cassian calls the shots the whole way through.
>>
>>15027368
they dropped that line, the rebels get her onboard by promising her freedom/pardons from past crimes and the film also implies she misses her dad
>>
File: 1442962634271.jpg (976KB, 4000x2300px) Image search: [Google]
1442962634271.jpg
976KB, 4000x2300px
>>15027433
>they dropped that line

I imagine Disney watched the online reaction to that line, how people were cringing over it and turning it into a meme, and they cut it out
>>
>>15027465
the people saying a lot of stuff from trailers is different/omitted from the movie are correct

for example she goes up on tower but there is no TIE fighter that she walks up to
>>
>>15027472
>the people saying a lot of stuff from trailers is different/omitted from the movie are correct
>for example she goes up on tower but there is no TIE fighter that she walks up to

fucking kek, they turned that first trailer into an alternate/deleted scenes compilation

wonderful job disney jews, true art
>>
File: 324624.jpg (220KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
324624.jpg
220KB, 1920x816px
>I'm a member of the imperial senate on a diplomatic mission to alderan

After a planetary assault on Scarif and decimating a planetary shield with two sunk star destroyers, I personally witnessed your ship detach from a rebel cruiser engaged in battle. Our intercept team caught up with your ship moments later.

Bitch U lie.
>>
>>15027478
for some reason Donnie Yen's lines are different from the trailers too, he went from being a blind kung fu master to a crazy hobo that somehow also knows kung fu
>>
>>15027484
weird, and a disservice to the great Donnie Yen. One would think depicting a chinese as a martial arts master would be more positive and respectful than making him a bum

but why did they give forest whitaker/saw gerrera hair? that's just plain inconsequential
>>
>>15027479
>>lying your ass off even in the face of undeniable truth

Leia's a politician alright.
>>
>>15027493
>One would think depicting a chinese as a martial arts master would be more positive and respectful than making him a bum

hobo with kung fu power is pretty normal in chinese wuxia
>>
>>15027479
>Bitch U lie.

Vader pretty much tells her this, just in a slightly less ebonic tone.
>>
I take it the 3D is pretty worthless and the normal/4k version is better?
>>
>>15027539
3D is an old and failed meme at this point
>>
>>15027547

There's the occasional film it's worth seeing over the regular version for, like Avatar and Doctor Strange. Visually at least. Mostly it's worthless and actively hurts the film, since it makes close up shots harder to discern.
>>
>>15027479
Leia couldn't have known that (r) stood for Rebel and not Refugee. She was defending people she thought were being attacked without cause.
>>
The CG use in Rogue One makes me wonder if they will bring back Force Ghost Alec Guiness with CG to talk to Luke and Rey in Star Wars 8

Regardless of the quality, it definitely makes people talk about the movie more, which is what Disney wants.
>>
>>15027043
>I don't really see where the ethical struggle will be to be honest
>I'm okay with cyber necromancy
>>
CG Tarkin looked ridiculous. It's hard to take a scene seriously when there's a fucking literal cartoon character prancing about.
>>
>>15027096
Creating fake controversies on twitter is just another way of getting free advertising, don't believe anything you see on that shitty platform.
>>
How was Mads?
>>
>>15027660
yeah I hate cartoons
>>
>>15027680
didn't really see anything wrong with his performance but his character just felt like a plot device to get Jyn to do things
>>
Overall the movie is okay, but there are a few things that trigger my autism. Like how they have the guy who already defected once not only continue to work on the project, but apparently didn't think to have loyal engineers and droids make sure there aren't any flaws in his plans like something as simple as a straight external tube to the reactor. Likewise, the empire already got the plans for the death star from the Geonosisians in episode 2, but they don't explain why he is modifying the plans if they already got it. I fear it is just them being lazy, though since there is a tie in novel coming out they might explain it. The other major problem is that I feel it relies too much on blatantly cashing in on nostalgia and has too much comic relief that doesn't flow naturally. You have things like the guys who bothered Luke in the bar in episode 4 being in a city that is shortly destroyed after you see them for no real reason other then they wanted to make references or like how Leia is part of the fleet that received the transmission despite it conflicting with her being on a diplomatic mission which caused her to end up near Tatooine. It makes little sense that Ortega would send her specifically on the mission when they didn't have reason to suspect they would need to flee the way they did. At least the droid's comic relief was natural and actually had good comedic timing, but most of it just felt forced, granted, it wasn't too extreme. Though, other petty flaws include them wasting Forest Whiticker's character and going to hyperspace in the atmosphere. Also, Ortegia being on Yavin IV at the time he was means he couldn't have been on Alderaan when it was destroyed, if I understand the distance correctly.
>>
>>15027651
You're not?
>>
>>15027790

Krennic does mention that progress on the DS has stalled and I guess all the allusions to the crystals were meant to mean that they are having problems with the laser. Though later on Mads himself acknowledges the Empire didn't actually need him to finish the DS but he just played along.

Also when the rebel fleet leaves for Scarif I think Bail Organa does actually say he is going back to Alderaan to do something
>>
>>15027479
That said since it was a dime a dozen Corellian Corvette and it did make it to hyperspace well before Vader could pursue she could probably have plead ignorance to whatever he was talking about, we're a different ship

You know if it was some Jr officer and not Darth fucking Vader who wasn't having any of it.
>>
>>15027926
I mean it's not that different from the old EU where she was basically caught getting the data from a bunch of spies on another planet while pretending to be on a charity mission. She still got caught and tried to lie her way out of it.

>>15027903
Why the fuck did they make all the crystals khyber crystals in the new EU?
>>
>>15026260
But a specially modified SSD could ascend from a planetary atmosphere.
Isard did nothing wrong
>>
>>15027980

as far as i can tell re: the crystal thing, it's just a plot device with a fantasy name slapped on
>>
>>15027651

I am if the actors involved or their estates sign of on it's use, yes.
>>
>>15027790
>Ortegia being on Yavin IV at the time he was means he couldn't have been on Alderaan when it was destroyed, if I understand the distance correctly.
He literally said in his last on-screen appearance that he was going to Alderaan
>>
>>15027419
>The whole point is that they go to Scarif against the Alliance's orders. Even then, Cassian calls the shots the whole way through.
But recognizing that would mean he actually paid attention and didn't have the classic /m/ analytical way of thinking e.g. purposefully not understanding a fucking thing just for it to fit your confirmation bias, or just having Crucial but SIMPLE details go right over their fucking heads and not understanding a damn thing that's going on, and instead of thinking they missed something just blame the thing for being "shit"
>>
>>15028017
she didn't really do anything right either

she was the epitome of the micromanaging supervisor who doesn't know what the fuck she's supervising, ask Dericote
>>
>>15027790
>Likewise, the empire already got the plans for the death star from the Geonosisians in episode 2, but they don't explain why he is modifying the plans if they already got it
Having a red hologram of the DS is not the same as having plans of it. It's essentially a fancy mock-up picture of it with no numbers or anything to go with it.

>despite it conflicting with her being on a diplomatic mission which caused her to end up near Tatooine
Did you know that, even in fiction, politicians lie to try and save their asses? There's nothing diplomatic about Leia being sent to recruit an old Jedi to the Rebellion, considering she works for the Imperial Senate as her actual job.

>and going to hyperspace in the atmosphere.
Never has it been said, in canon, that a ship can't do that. It's extremely hard to do because they have to escape gravity in the process, but Kaytoo even said they weren't ready for the jump at the time. Cassian just threw the switch and hoped for the best so they wouldn't get killed by falling rock.

>Bail on Yavin
Yavin is actually closer to Alderaan than it is Scarif. He would have made it there by the time the battle started on Scarif, giving him hours/days to tell his people that peace may not be an option before being blown up.

> there is a tie in novel coming out they might explain it
It's been out for over a month now.
>>
Main thing I enjoyed was that this made the Empire seem kinda scary to fight against. Throughout the OG trilogy, I knew the Empire was evil but never felt overly threatened by them.

This, I mean, the Stormtroopers could actually hit their targets. The moment we saw the shield station launch pretty much its entire compliment of TIEs on the rebel fleet was just a "Oh shit." Hell, the moment we first see the AT-ATs, did anyone else get the same feeling those rebel troops had in that "Oh fuck."

And all that with Vader's little episode at the end just made me legit fear the Empire, even if it was just for this movie.
>>
>>15028298

What happens when we (mostly) don't have any magic swordsmen and Force shenanigans about.

I respect the fact that they're integral parts of the franchise, but this depiction of the Empire makes me long all the more for an Imp-centric feature that isn't rotting on the vine. Here's looking at you, IMPS The Relentless.
>>
Better than it should've been. It felt like a WW2 film set in sci-fantasy. It's like The Dirty Dozen meets Saving Private Ryan, 300, and Army of Shadows. The deaths of those Rebel fighters in the end actually hit home compared to the original Trilogy.

The real heroes of Star Wars were the everyday people (and droid) who sacrificed themselves to thwart the Death Star. I give this a film an 8/10. It's weakness was that characterizations were too limited, the plot was really rushed, and the dialogue was atrocious. But the battles, the gravity of what was at stake, and the feel of French Resistance-esque odds against an oppressive foe.
>>
>>15028298
>>15028303
You know what made this film all the more dramatic in hindsight? Remember all those Rebel pilots, soldiers, and commanders that they lost? They could've played an invaluable part in ANH, ESB, and ROTJ, but instead died and got forgotten in favor of Luke Starkiller-turned-Skywalker and his Schwarz shenanigans.
>>
>>15028350
>It's weakness was that characterizations were too limited, the plot was really rushed, and the dialogue was atrocious
Fucking amen. I couldn't even tell you the names of Donnie Yen's character or the heavy weapons guy.

I enjoyed this movie a lot, but most of the characters are hard to get invested in when they introduced so abruptly, get very little moments during downtime, and die at the end of the film. A third of this movie must be on the cutting room floor or something.
>>
>>15028368
I actually wanted to know more about the backstory of the other members of Rogue One. I mean we got a glimpse of Jyn, but practically nothing from the others.

I don't know it Netflix series have spoiled me but I felt this should've been a mini-series instead. Like 8 episodes to fully draw out this ragtag group of misfits backed by the Rebels to infiltrate the Imperial archives.

I mean, Forrest Whittaker's role was basically Magical Black Man and then promptly dies.
>>
>>15028385
Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt Whittaker's character from the Star Wars Rebels TV series? Just older, grumpier, and more militant?

Ive been meaning to watch Rebels.
>>
>>15028385
That's what the new canon books/cartoons are for, anon. Catalyst shows Jyn's birth through her arrival on Lah'mu (first planet in RO), even though the book technically isn't about her. Gerrera had an entire 4-episode arc about his life in TCW.

I can only hope that we get a book or comic about the rest of the group. I want to see what killed Cassian's family when he was 6. I want to see the back story for Baze and Chirrut being Guardians of the Whills. Kaytoo and Bodhi I don't really care about back story-wise though.

>>15028392
The Clone Wars, not Rebels.
>>
>>15028385
>>15028392
From what I understand, Saw Gerrera actually shows up a decent amount in the Clones Wars TV show (CG one), so if you want to see more of him, there's that.
>>
>>15028392
Never watched the Rebels TV series. I'm not much of a SW fan. I only saw the movies and read 2 books: Tarkin and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. Never played any of the games so I'm completely in the dark.
>>
>>15028397

Donnie Yen's character kind of annoyed me, because he might as well have been a Jedi given some of the stuff he did. That said, he was more human than many Jedi because his fear was pretty obvious at times given his recitation of mantra during stressful moments. I just don't understand why they'd go "no, no, no Jedi here, no sir. Oh, this mystic blind monk who can see in some vague manner and beats the stuffing out of stormtroopers? He's not a Jedi. No lightsaber, see? Just a stick. Totally different".
>>
>>15027352
But if she's as bad a Mary Sue as Rey. Wouldn't her being invincible and running circles around trained imperial soldiers off putting?
>>
>>15027352
I despise Ray from Movie 7 and Jyn was no way in shape a Mary Sue. She was good in combat because she was trained as a kid and had to survive on her own.

I do agree that her ham-fisted speech at the Rebel council made me gag. The fact that she suddenly wants to do this suicide mission came WAY too soon, but then again it is a movie.

What I could say I really hated was romanticism between herself and Cassian. That wasn't necessary and they could've just treated each other as comrades in war or something at the end.
>>
>>15028480
She was more just kind of boring and didn't leave a terribly strong impression to me, which is pretty different from being a full-on mary sue.

I don't think Rey is as bad as people complain anyway. People could probably stand to remember the time she ran the fuck away and the Force stuff started working for Luke when he stopped being skeptical, so it's not TOO unreasonable that she pulled off a couple of relatively minor things when she had a solid foundation of belief.

She's got a bunch of problems but I don't think winning a fight with a heavily wounded man makes you a mary sue.
>>
File: Moff_Tarkin-revenge-sith-cameo.png (1MB, 1280x816px) Image search: [Google]
Moff_Tarkin-revenge-sith-cameo.png
1MB, 1280x816px
>>15027000
>Tarkin wasn't directly involved in the early Death Star project and had to screwjob his way into taking credit.

Wait. Does this mean they're actively retconning the prequel movies now?
>>
>>15028499
They're retconning the original trilogy. Not the prequels.
>>
>>15028499
More like he didn't put all of the hard work into actually making it functional as opposed to being completely hands-off.
>>
>>15028502
Rogue One isn't so much retconning the original trilogy as embellishing a sappy dysfunctional family melodrama behind the origins of the Death Star. It was never SUPPOSED to be part of the plot in 1979, but it doesn't really contradict anything in the established story.

But the part in prequel trilogy that strongly implies young Tarkin has been in control of the project for 19 years before Episode IV? That's apparently straight out the window now.
>>
>>15028499
Not really. In Catalyst Tarkin is an admiral with his own Star Destroyer during the construction of the Death Star so it's entirely plausible he escorted the Emperor and Vader there at some point.
>>
>>15028428
Your mixing up your terms a bit. He would have been a regular, random force sensitive man, not a Jedi specifically. He was a protector of the ancient Jedi Temple on Jedha, to the point where the force recognized him and the other Guardians and allowed them to "use" it in a very minuscule way. It allowed him to "see" while being blind and helped him dodge the Death Trooper shots at a very crucial moment. It also helped Baze kill the Death Troopers in his final moment as well, since he started using the mantra again after Chirrut introduced him as "the guy that used to be the most religious of us all."

>>15028499
Tarkin was a friend of Palpatine's from during his rise as Chancellor, eventually helping him become one of the most highly ranked Imperials in the government side of the Empire (Grand Moff). Many Imperials knew about the DS project but only a select few were actually in charge of the parts that went into it. Krennic was only there to make sure the weapon was created, though he tried to overstep his bounds and control more of the project many times. Tarkin being on that ISD has nothing to do with his involvement with the project being retconned.

>>15028519
>implies
That's where the problem comes in. People take something they are unsure about and run a mile with it pretending it is fact. No where in the PT was Tarkin said to be in control of the DS project.
>>
>>15028496

The romantic angle wasn't really given any kind of notice until the very end. I wouldn't see her as nearly as much of a Sue as Rey personally, if only because she actually needs rescuing at two points, both on Eadu and on top of the tower at Scarif, as well as Cassian and others putting her down for some of her arguments, like her giving out to Cassian for wanting to kill her father with him pointing out that someone who doesn't even believe in politics has no place questioning him for the hard choice he's made and that he's had a hard life too.
>>
>>15028502
Man, they could've done a much-better job with the prequels after watching Rogue One.

Episode One should've taken elements from the 2003 Clone Wars cartoon that Genndy Tartakovsky did. That stuff was WAY better than the prequel movies and no need to formally introduce Anakin as a young kid. Just show him as this hotshot pilot that was alluded in A New Hope and how he was too headstrong for own good. Basically showcase the Clone Wars and slowly show Anakin embracing the Dark Side because it makes him feel in power. No tragic love story crap because frankly, make Darth Vader an object of scorn and pity because of his own arrogance and putting his head up his ass. He was a teen that never grew up and those flaws caught up to him instead of save Padme and I'll join you Palpatine.

Episode Two should've retained the best elements of Revenge of the Sith but tweek them so that it doesn't come off as awful as it originally did. Like make Anakin's and Obi-Wan's duel brutal as fuck and not jumping/spinning or "I have the high ground". Have Obi-Wan use the Force to fuck-up Anakin's bionic arm during combat and other gritty shit. Retain Anakin getting his limbs sliced off but no speech between them.
Just have Anakin fall in the lave and seemingly burn to death in the heat of the battle or exposed to molten metal from the factory. Obi-Wan assumes Anakin is dead and is shocked at how far he was willing to go against his former Padawan and friend. He retains the lightsaber because it's the only thing that's left of his old friend with tears in his eyes. He was about to leave it behind, but does it because he knows Anakin's kids might want it instead.

Episode 3 should've been Rogue One with more polish. That's how they could've done the original trilogy at least after watching it last night and contemplating what could've been.
>>
>>15028524

I'm not saying Donnie Yen was a Jedi, I'm saying he might as well have been, because he's a mystic monk who talks about the Force and is by far the best melee fighter in the movie. And his use of the Force was hardly just limited to the climax, since he used it to see numerous times, including in fights on a few occasions. A Jedi by any other name essentially.

Also, I didn't get the point of Baze taking on his mantra and then dying moments later to a grenade after killing a couple of Death Troopers. Yea, he killed them. So what? They weren't threatening anything at that point that I recall. The message had already been sent, and Chirrut was already dead. He did this big thing where he took on his friend's manta and then died seconds later without it amounting to anything. Just seemed a bit pointless and anti-climactic.
>>
>>15028526
Yep. This is why I don't consider a Sue. She's actually a human being. Everyone in this series was. Jyn's parents, Krennic, the Imperial defector, and the other supporting cast were more interesting than the people in the prequels.

I mean, shit, I actually wanted to know more about those Alliance leaders than what we saw. Like who they once were and what they did in the Clone Wars and the takeover by Palpatine?
>>
>>15028541
I got the sense that there was supposed to be a subplot between them where Baze had sort of lost his faith after the Empire cannibalized the Khyber Temple, and was really only sticking around because of his friendship with Chirrut. Of course this is never alluded to because the story moves ridiculously fast.
>>15028548
Well at least we got to see another black person besides Lando.
>>
>>15028541
>spoiler
The Death Troopers and Chirrut/Baze didn't know that the plans were successfully transmitted at that point (if ever). The Troopers' job was to kill all the rebels, not just let them go peacefully.

It also wasn't Chirrut's mantra. It was a Guardian of the Whills thing that Baze was also a member of. He gave up saying the mantra over time and focused on just being a gun user instead. The whole point of that was to show that he went back to his roots while staring death in the face. Chirrut told him that they will see each other again in the force (where everyone goes upon death in SW), so you could look at it as a final "I hope this gives me good karma" pray to see Chirrut again.
>>
>>15028539

>Episode One

>taking elements from 2003, in 1999

I understand your angle, but still.
>>
>>15028562
>Well at least we got to see another black person besides Lando.
I'm pretty sure the only reason why we got a close-up of a random black rebel has to reassure people that there are black people besides Lando.

And that one leader woman.
>>
>>15028541

His use of the Force is completely passive though, unlike Jedi actually being able to control it.

He can see thanks to it, he can feel peoples intent, but that's the extent of it.

If anything, it's the closest things have gone back to the spiritual/faith aspect of the Force. His greatest 'use' of it is completely letting himself go and believing it will protect him. And it does.
>>
>>15028548
Plus there's the fact like when her father gives her the message, she gets over-emotional and can't come up with any sort of argument for believing her beyond "my father dindu nuffin wrong you've got to trust me".

Granted there wasn't much else she could say and it gets resolved later after Cassian trusts her and musters support from the other rebels, but that IS still a knock against her character.
>>
>>15028569
Episode 1 has little redeeming factors besides Liam Neeson, Ewan, and the Darth Maul duel. If you had the prequel trilogy start right into the campaigns of the Clone Wars (as we saw in the 2003 cartoon), it would've been a better start.
>>
Was Chirrut actually a Force user? I thought they tried to push that he was like Daredevil and just user his keen hearing.
The Force thing was like Lor San Tekka, a follower of the Force but not a user.
>>
>>15028587
Force-sensitive Jedi wannabe cruising on sheer faith. Good enough to take advantage of it to see and enhance his physical abilities, not good enough to, say, Force Push.
>>
>>15028574

There's also Forrest Whittaker. He was a Rebel and made his own, more extremist faction in the present - but by any reasonable metric he counts as a rebel against the Empire. I think there black pilots and soldiers scattered around in the climax battle too.
>>
So, Darth Vader's castle. Was that Vjun or Mustafar? I want it to be Vjun but I doubt it.
>>
>>15028587
He was a Guardian of the temple on Jedha. That implies that he was just a normal person that the force took kindly to for trying to protect one of it's religious sects' bases.
>>
>>15028599

It was in Mordor.
>>
>>15028599
Mustafar. Vjun doesn't exist in new canon at all.
>>
>>15028603
The planet exists. It's mentioned in one of the Journey to The Force Awakens materials.
>>
>>15028605
None of the ""new canon"" reference books outside of the visual dictionaries for TFA and RO are pure canon. A lot of them still contain a bunch of Legends material, which makes it not (fully) canon.

>inb4 it's on wookiepedia so it must be true
It's a fan-run, fan-edited wiki that had a very hard time transitioning from Legends to Canon. You can't trust them to actually understand the reference books.
>>
>>15028616
I guess it's a moot point anyway since we'll find out in the RO visual dictionary soon anyway.
>>
>>15028631
One of the Story Group members, the guy that wrote the ROVD, said on Twitter that it's Mustafar. In the book he just wrote it as "inhospitable world" or something.
>>
>>15028636
OK, I figured as much but I still wanted to believe.
>>
>>15028638

I know the Vader fight only lasted like 10 seconds, if that, but I didn't really it. He mostly kept the same posture, but he moved his arms around a lot and it made it seem like he was putting in more effort than I felt he should need I guess? His earlier appearance on Mustafar was fine, and I really liked the intro with him seeking some respite from pain using bacta, but he felt too energetic in the fight and I'd have preferred a less is more approach where he just appears, moves his arm once to knock down a bunch of guys and them stalks through as troopers mow them down or something.
>>
>>15028574
There were already black and asian Rebel pilots in ROTJ.
>>
>>15026493
>not Kyle Katarn
I was sick of hearing this BEFORE the movie came out. He never looked anything like Katarn, who does not own the patent on beards, and now the movie is out we know he is nothing like Katarn in any way. Let the baseless comparison go. And no, Jyn isn't the new Jan either, never was.
>>
>>15028770
Katarn was one of the poor storm troopers that got pushed off the canyon. Its unfortunate that he never fulfilled his destiny.
>>
>>15026554
Wedge is little more than an extra. Most viewers don't even know who he is. The battle does not follow him.

>Ackbar
You can't be serious, is this a trap?
>>
>>15028363
No matter how much you guys want to bitch about it, Star Wars is essentially the story of the Skywalkers. Of course all those guys would get sidelined for Luke, he's the protagonist of the second half.
>>
>>15028818

This. It's a classic Space opera with your standard good vs evil set up. Take one guess as to how a gritty war film in space with a massive amount of casualties would have gone down in 1977.
>>
>Disney is still using a star wars to expand their Disney princess roster
Can we have an MC with a penis next time? I mean, I have no issue with badass chicks but Disneys ulterior motive is plain as day
>>
>>15029192
blacks have bigger penises to make up for it
>>
>>15029192
>Can we have an MC with a penis next time?

Isn't that Han Solo movie the next one that isn't a main episode?
>>
>>15029192
>I have no issue with badass chicks

sure you don't, that's why you're upset that now two out of eight Star Wars movies (and three out of ten once VIII and Han Solo movie are out) star women
>>
>>15029212
Yeah, you can fuck off back to Tumblr.
>>
>>15028585
>little redeeming factors
>Liam Neeson
>Ewan
>Darth Mail duel
You forgot to add >podracing
>>
>>15029203
And he's meeting his black wife.
>>
>>15027096
>>Rogue One writer Chris Weitz tweeted, “Please note that the Empire is a white supremacist (human) organization.” To which Gary Whitta, another writer, responded, “Opposed by a multi-cultural group led by brave women.”
Brave WHITE women, and white men like the general and Bail Organa, because minorities are incompetent savages who can't be trusted to take care of themselves.
>>
>>15029258
>Jimmy Smits
>white
>>
I thought it was good. I feel bad that I don't think it was as amazing as everyone is hyping it as... so, I dunno. I feel like I should be having this orgasmic reaction to it, since that seems to be how people are responding to it, but I thought it was okay? Safe? Inoffensive? Better than the prequels at least.

I think it has a lot going for it, but the first act was a little weak.
>>
>>15029284
>Safe? Inoffensive?
Given how easily certain sections of the population get offended nowadays, unfortunately mainstream movies are at best going to be safe and inoffensive, or obviously offensive on purpose to generate hype.
>>
>>15029284
it feel like the movie made a huge jump in quality once they got to the battle of scarrif. Without it Rogue one would have been at the bottom with the rest of prequel.
>>
>>15025930
Rumor is that when news of the reshoots got leaked out Disney panicked that people would boycott the film so they ended up making only very minor changes.

>>15026516
TCW is fantastic son. The high of TCW are higher than the highs of the cartoon. Maybe you should actually watch it instead of shit posting?
>>
>>15026084
>he isn't allowed to express emotion at the theater

I didn't know North Koreans had access to 4chan, or that North Korea is a "civilised country".
>>
>>15028562
>I got the sense that there was supposed to be a subplot between them where Baze had sort of lost his faith after the Empire cannibalized the Khyber Temple, and was really only sticking around because of his friendship with Chirrut.
>Of course this is never alluded to because the story moves ridiculously fast.
It actually is alluded to, once. I don't remember the exact wording, but I'm certain that Chirrut mentioned that Baze was a Guardian who lost his faith in the Force.
>>
>>15026118

Forgive me for any ignorance on my part, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem as though entire audiences clapping in a cinema is done on any noticeable scale in any country outside the States.
>>
>>15029396
People do it down here on Brazil
>>
If you didn't get hyped at the return of Red Leader and Gold Leader then enjoy your ban
>>
>>15026210
I didn't care for most of the characters cause of how little time we got with them.

Donnie Yen seemed interested in Jyn for no fucking reason
I honestly couldn't tell you a thing about his buddies personality either outside of "angry asian man"
>>
Great movie
feels like an actual rebel story
/m/ as fuck
8 out of 10 for me
>>
post your face when the fucking SQUADRON LEADERS made their comeback
>>
>>15029421
having seen ANH so many time it was kind of awkward being able to pick out the exact frame where they puck out the character shot and insert it into the scene.
>>
File: 1408829818394.png (1MB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1408829818394.png
1MB, 800x1000px
>>15029428
>they brought back Red Leader and Gold Leader
>they didn't give any reference to Wedge or Biggs even though they'd most certainly be at that fight
>>
>>15029432
Bail mentions Wedge
>>
>>15029457
that's a different wedge. He's the captain of Tantive IV (Leia/Bail's ship)
>>
>>15029457
Different and unrelated Antilles (Captain Antilles != Wedge Antilles) . Apparently, Antilles as a surname is the Galaxy Far Far Away equivalent of Jones
>>
>>15029457
>>15029466
A different Antilles, not a different Wedge. Raymus Antilles, the captain of Tantive IV. "Antilles" is pretty much the "Smith" of Star Wars. There was also a Bail Antilles in the Prequel Trilogy.
>>
Do they mention Star Wars Rebels? Do they mention Kanan or Erza ?
>>
what I liked about this movie
-Star Ship battles
-Vader wrecking shit mercilessly
-Tarking and Young Leia
-Chirrut and Baze being canon gay
-Chirrut and Baze being complete badasses
-K2
-Everyone dies in the most savage way possible, and that's before the Death Star blows them up
-TV show, Rebels reference
-Hammerhead Cruisers wrecking shit
-Finally explaining the plothole from Episode 4 and Death Star's weakness
-everyone in the theater going nuts when the rebels warp jump to Scarif and the whole battle starts, also going nuts and clapping when Red Leader was mentioned. they also gasped and went crazy Vader showed up and wrecked the shit out of the rebels
-Blowing up Jedah was simply impactful. the entire part which leads up to it did a good job at building up the tension.
-Jyn not being a Mary sue, she got blasted then shot at and eventually died

what I dislike
-Poor character building for the supposed protagonists
-Jyn is forgettable her death did nothing to me or anyone in the theater
-Jyn attempted to be pushed as an important character but failing miserably
-Defected pilot had more personality and was more memorable than both Cassian and Jyn
>>
>>15029359
>It's okay to disturb other viewers as long as you are 'expressing emotion'
Perish in flames, Burgerman.
>>
Holy fucking shit, you guys weren't kidding. This is the most /m/ Star Wars. The corvette ramming scene was bloody amazing - it was amazing seeing CGI animations of the ships' tearing through each other unlike anime where they just explode upon touching each other.

And that scene where Cassian put Jyn in her place when she was being a brat. Female protags get away with too much these days.

>Don't try and talk circles around me.
>I don't have to.

I think it's an excellent entry to the Star Wars movie franchise as a film focused on folk not blessed with midi chlorians. Hopefully there'll be more spinoff movies, after all there's so much content from the EU that can be drawn from.
>>
>>15029681
>Hopefully there'll be more spinoff movies, after all there's so much content from the EU that can be drawn from.
the plan is alternating between spin-off and main stuff each year for forty years
>>
>>15029192
>Can we have an MC with a penis next time?

I don't see what the problem is, I prefer looking at women more than men.

Guys who complain they want guys in SW instead of girls sound like they are homos, desu.
>>
>>15029192
Finn has a dick and he was an MC just like Rey,
>>
>>15028498
>She's got a bunch of problems but I don't think winning a fight with a heavily wounded man makes you a mary sue.
It was more than that she used pretty much every standard force power before that and out mind fucked the sith and was familiar with just about everything.

Luke and Anakin were growing characters Rey started out at 11, because they wanted to shove in references
>>
>>15029482
The Ghost, or a VCX just like it, can be seen on the tarmac at Yavin and in the final battle over Scarif. A "General Syndula" is also paged over the intercom at the Yavin base, and some viewers are reporting seeing an astromech that looks suspiciously like Chopper in the background in one shot there,
>>
>>15029257
>No Wookie Wife
Triggered
>>
>>15025854
Lot better then the garbage that was TFA.
>>
File: B6s3kk5 - Imgur.gif (2MB, 390x277px) Image search: [Google]
B6s3kk5 - Imgur.gif
2MB, 390x277px
>>15029428
>mfw Red 5 got BTFO
>>
File: kylo-ren-comic.jpg (36KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
kylo-ren-comic.jpg
36KB, 720x720px
>>15029731
>I don't think winning a fight with a heavily wounded man makes you a mary sue.

Oh, nice to see someone who understands the movies. The problem is not Rey but more like Kylo Ren. I understand the intent of the authors, but a villan must live up to his role and Ren and starts well, but soon becomes a disney Comic relief.

It is also true that we are in the Internet age, so everything becomes easily a meme.
>>
>>15029700
>for forty years
Good god, you rumourpoofs belive the dumest shit. There are exactly 4 more Star Wars movies planned for the next 8 years. That's a fact. If you get a fifth it will be out of fucken nowhere because the rumours you've swallowed are pure bollocks.
>>
>>15029731
>>15029762
It has more to do with Rey pulling Force powers out of her ass one after another and any lack of danger Rey is intended to be then Ren's chuuni ass being injured facing her in the final fight.

Also stop talking about that awful movie.
>>
File: 1294506265222.jpg (3MB, 3372x2192px) Image search: [Google]
1294506265222.jpg
3MB, 3372x2192px
Vader was brutal as fuck, you could leterally see that rebel pounding on the door was shitting his pants

Vader would kick Darth Maul's ass
>>
>>15029774
They are very different. Maul was a well trained padawan, a swordmaster. Vader, was pragmatic and often killed someone without even draw out the sword. Shit done in the most efficient way.
>>
>>15029774
Vader was struggling with Ashoka.

Ayyy lmao Vaderfags.
>>
>>15029783
please ... do not remind me that.
When the writers are fanboys of their own characters.
>>
>>15029783
He deliberately got hit by Ashoka so he could mind break her and succeeded. Shows how much you idiots know. vader is a tactical genius
>>
>>15029712
I see no problem with me wanting to a see a beautiful sexy man on screen. its the same as straight men wanting to see women. I did like how rugged Cassius looked though.
>>
>>15029790
>He deliberately got hit by Ashoka
No, he didn't. No more then Maul deliberately intended to fall of a ledge to a Kanan he casually blinded.

Rebels is filled with dumb jobbing to carry its plot forward.
>>
>>15029728
He had no development or character throughout the entire movie beyond sweating intensely and panting in every scene
>>
>>15029827
Still a MC with an important role in the story..
>>
>>15029731
>>15029770
luke spent the entire OT getting tossed around and the general shit kicked out of him. ESB was just him getting his shit ruined

Rey coast on by the challenges in TFA too easily.
>>
>>15030078
I would not say Luke spent the "entire" OT getting the shit kicked out of him. Everyone was saving everyone in ANH. And Luke took out the Death Star's thermal exhaust port thanks to Han's last minute intervention and return to prevent him from being killed by Vader and his two wingmen in the Trench Run.

In TESB, Vader even acknowledges Luke's strength is great and Luke suffers for his over confidence and pride going against Vader on Cloud City during their duel at the end of the movie. Even if you account for Luke being taken out by a stalking Wampa, he still frees himself before Han finds and saves his life.

In RoTJ it comes full circle with Luke being a fully trained Jedi Knight who in the end puts Vader to the floor. He saves his father, his father saves him: balance.
>>
File: 1481976801302.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
1481976801302.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>
>>15030278
>dat guy getting sliced in the roof
kek
had this been a kedi knight game, a simple lightsaber throw would have cleared that corridor
>>
>>15030285
I see it now, thought at first Vader just deflected a blaster bolt from his saber into the guy's side.
>>
>>15025854
Way fucking better than Force Awakens. Basically, the only thing I found wrong with it was that in two scenes the soundtrack didn't match the action. And that's fucking it.
>>
>>15029783

Ahsoka was involved in more battles and fights in the Clone Wars than most full Jedi just by dint of being Anakin's Padawan (he was one of the forefront generals and used her often in battle) and one of the show's main characters. She also became a quite good lightsaber duelist herself by the end of the show, and took on full blown Jedi masters as well as Grevious and Sith at times during the show's run if I recall. She was never in the advantage in those fights, but she was also able to acquit herself well and hold her own until able to escape or help arrived in those instances. Put that with about 15 years of experience as a lone Force user and one of the originators of the Rebellion and it's not hard to imagine she'd be fairly skilled as a lightsaber user. She did clown the two Inquisitors a few episodes before that fairly easily, and was giving Maul a decent fight before she left to follow Ezra.

She was also battling someone she'd trained with extensively in the past, so there's probably some advantage there as well. That said, she was still on the backfoot all of that fight, and Vader was obviously stronger and better than her despite him putting in effort.

>>15029787

What a silly complaint. It'd be pointless to include the fight if there wasn't going to be some tension there as to who'd win, and the fight essentially had to happen since Ahsoka had left the Jedi pre-Revenge and so didn't die there. Her putting up some fight had to happen just for dramatic reasons. Not to mention that Vader isn't some icon that can't be sullied by having to put in effort or anything.

>>15029790

Ahsoka hit Vader a surprise attack by lunging at him. There's no way in hell taking that hit was a premeditated move.

>>15029796

I'd hardly call it casual. It too was a surprise attack. And yes, Jedi can be hit with them too. Even in the movies Luke manages to hide from Vader and hit him with a surprise attack in Return of the Jedi.
>>
>>15030328
Vader was completely dominated by Luke in the final half of their duel in RoTJ and even before that using a surprise attack merely had a retreating Luke hold back only prevent fatal attacks because Vader was intent on killing him if he didn't turn.

Ashoka beating on the Inquisitors is hardly impressive giving the only real strong one is the Grand Inquisitor who was defeated by Kanan with PIS in turn. And Kanan getting Maul to go over the edge was some form of jobbing in itself.

Though granted Maul is not at his prime like in TCW where he was constantly rag-dolling Obi-Wan and put down an enraged Savage with one hand casually, the same Savage whose physical strength and skill is enough to stalemate Obi-Wan and Anakin twice in the show.

Either way to me it was something in bad taste but Maul's superiority to both Ashoka and Kanan really isn't in question here.
>>
>>15030278
Just noticed that there's apparently wind inside that spaceship.
>>
>>15030278
Jesus christ that's fucking terrifying
>>
File: STWVADER2015017.jpg (441KB, 1596x2379px) Image search: [Google]
STWVADER2015017.jpg
441KB, 1596x2379px
>>15029783
Vader was defeated by Obi-wan in Ep 3

Vader's weakness is facing off against people he has emotional ties to. If that detail is not part of the fight, he is fucking unstoppable.
>>
>>15030278
That's the ship from Star Wars isnt it?

So this is the very, very ending scene?
>>
>>15030537
>Vader was defeated by Obi-wan in Ep 3
That's wrong. Vader defeated himself. Obi-Wan was being pushed around the entire duel in both the official novelization and the film itself.
>>
>>15030537
Ayyy

Vader being a retard is why he ended up losing, the movie makes it quite apparent before the "high ground" that Obi-Wan was constantly on the losing side of the fight

Obi-Wan being taken out by Dooku and knocked out the reminder of the duel while Anakin crushed him makes it apparent that Vader wasn't mentally in the best situation otherwise Obi-Wan would've died then and there
>>
>>15030399
Pressure differential between the carrier and the corvette.
>>
Hope you don't CHOKE on your aspirations.
>>
File: fuckyouandyourhighground.webm (1MB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
fuckyouandyourhighground.webm
1MB, 720x304px
>>15030537
>>15030563
>>15030570
>ignoring the power of high ground
There's a reason the Death Star is only hallways.
>>
>>15030375

Ahsoka beating the Inquisitors isn't meant to be impressive on it's own, only to show that her skills did improve over the years between Clone Wars and Rebels. Holding her own against Maul is more impressive, even if he wasn't in his prime.

Also, I'm not really sure of the intent of that first paragraph, but as you pointed out yourself Vader was struggling with Luke, who had far less training and experience than Ahsoka, even when made it explicit that all he was going to do was defend. The surprise attack turns the tides because Luke goes on the offensive and manages to overwhelm Vader using anger, but he's managing to frustrate his attacks even before that point. You seem intent on this picture of Vader as infallible and like only the best and truest Star Wars characters should be able to give him any kind of challenge, and it's a silly image to me, because even in the original movies it doesn't hold up.

As for Kanaan v Maul, it comes across more as dramatic convention at work than anything. Kanaan is more at peace with himself than Maul in that moment, and trips up Maul, physically and metaphorically because of it. That inner peace being something Kanaan struggles with regularly and a culmination of his character in that moment. The physical outcome is fairly silly, but the dramatic outcome takes precedence I suppose and normally does in Star Wars regardless so being annoyed at it seems a little pointless.
>>
>>15030278
Maybe if Vader didn't take his time and walk through that corridor he could have saved the Death Star.
>>
>>15030808

Vader might not be physically capable of anything more than an intimidating walk anymore. It's certainly how the canon prefers he move now, since it emphasizes his physicality and makes him look more intimidating.
>>
>>15030825
He's able to use force speed.
>>
>>15029642
Oh no, he started clapping at the credits, when the movie is over! Enjoyment is so ruined!!!!
>>
File: buckets.jpg (116KB, 659x548px) Image search: [Google]
buckets.jpg
116KB, 659x548px
>>15029428
>RED LEADER, STANDING BY!
I knew it was coming and still it felt fucking sweet and hype at the same time
>>
>>15030867

Does he use it in the movies at all? I know Luke does, but I don't recall Vader doing so.
>>
>>15030953
Lords of the Sith book, which is just as canon as the movies. He fucks up some Twi'lek rebels with it.
>>
File: Vader vs Asoka.jpg (41KB, 1361x764px) Image search: [Google]
Vader vs Asoka.jpg
41KB, 1361x764px
>>15029783
I honestly really liked that whole fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7ufR7utEo

Though its times like this where I really wish animation was as good as TCW's
>>
>>15030537
I meant Obi-wan defeated Vader, of course.

Dont know why I fucked that up.
>>
>>15030953
Pretty sure the only time force speed is used in the movies is by Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan when they escape the destroyer droids.
>>
>>15025854
It was great. Miles better than TFA. I think the beginning was a bit rushed and I got tired of the hearing the same hope speech four rimes, but god damn did those action scenes make up for it.
>>
>>15030981

Luke uses it at the very least when he falls in to the carbonite treatment pit on Cloud City in Empire. He uses the Force to enable him to jump both higher and faster than normally possible to escape the pit before he can be flash frozen like Han.
>>
>>15030825
Yeah, true.. but many years before, Grievous was a fucking metal ninja. So, Palpatine made sure that Vader was a wreck, or something?
>>
>>15031052

The suggestion is there that he never intended Vader as a real apprentice and always intended to replace him at some point, but just used him until something better came along (like Luke), so crippling him by design isn't entirely out of character. Also Grevious was a lot more mechanical in nature than even Vader and was a proper fusion of man and machine, where Vader was just the remains of a man on a life support machine that he wore at all times. Grevious was fused with his and inseparable from it, where Vader could and did take it off.
>>
File: Opening_Logo_Gundam_SEED.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Opening_Logo_Gundam_SEED.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
> tfw you realise that Rogue One's footage could be set to Invoke for a pretty neat music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdgelR9uwTY
>>
>>15031132
Someone needs to do this
>>
>>15028539
>no speech between them
The conversation between anakin and obi-wan while anakin was burning was the most emotional part of the whole prequel trilogy. If you remove that, you make the prequel trilogy useless.
>>
>>15025886
You remember how you wrecked everyone's shit so badly in games like Outcast, Academy, and Force Unleashed when you were facing normal mooks like stormtroopers and how it was practically an unmitigated slaughter?
It was like that, condensed to a minute. And the enemies were rebel troopers. Which admittedly isn't that different with the Force Unleashed example but still.
>>
>>15030549
Yeah, the ship that takes off is the one from the opening scene of Star Wars.
>>
>>15029681
>Ramming scene
It was so good
>>
File: full speed ahead.webm (3MB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
full speed ahead.webm
3MB, 720x304px
>>15031436
>>
File: 1477405293688.png (506KB, 833x644px) Image search: [Google]
1477405293688.png
506KB, 833x644px
>>15031449
Oooh baby.
>>
>>15031449
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VSA7CvnBAU
>>
>>15030278
>>15031449
Damn, anymore where that came from?
>>
>>15031449
So do star destroyers not have port verniers or something
>>
>>15031542
IONED.com
>>
File: 1225749407217.png (5KB, 163x119px) Image search: [Google]
1225749407217.png
5KB, 163x119px
IT WAS SOOOO boring!
>>
>>15031539
Someone on the /co/ Star Wars thread was making some webms.

Starts here and is sporadic throughout the thread: >>>/co/88499191
>>
>>15031542
Ion torpedo disabled them
>>
anybody else see the Ghost during the space battle?
>>
>>15031557
I saw it a couple times. Never caught it when the rebels started their retreat, though.
>>
>>15031449
this and the flapping darth vader are fan-fic tier shit ,even more so than TFA
>>
>>15031605
go back to your cave jj
>>
>not noticing that the officer who went to inspect the shuttle looked different and came out with a droid rather than the 2 Stormtrooper escorts
>standing around looking at the explosions until Krennic tells them to move their asses
>the 2 Stardestroyers anemic performance when compared to Vader's Stardestroyer single handedly wrecking the entire rebel fleet

Scarif's garrison was really complacent bordering on incompetence, weren't they?
>>
>>15031611
They were guards on a planet that had a shield with only one entrance and two ISDs parked in orbit. I'm sure a lot of them were shit-tier just sent there to do no harm in other parts of the Empire.
>>
>>15031611
>did you hear the new t-15s came in?
>yeah, nice

sounds like a typical garrison
>>
>>15031608
JJ made TFA, which I criticize, stupid fuck
>>
>>15031620
yah sure jj

god forbid somebody actually tries something new in your inherited sandbox
>>
>>15031614
>I'm sure a lot of them were shit-tier just sent there to do no harm in other parts of the Empire.

More than likely that most of them were probably silver spoon Core Worlders who got themselves a safe, comfy posting.
>>
>>15031632
And then they died.
>>
>>15029284

>it was okay? Safe? Inoffensive? Better than the prequels at least.

That's exactly how most people felt about TFA and it's biggest overall flaw as a film.

Welcome to modern Star Wars under Disney.
>>
>>15031632
>>15031635
I dunno the juggernaut troopers and the jeddah garrison seemed pretty outer rim to me, and they died like bitches to
>>
>>15031621
>yah sure jj

if youre gonna post retarded shit at least make it funny retard
>>
>>15031644
you first bitch
>>
>>15031642
The prequels were better than episode seven, but I don't know if the prequels are better or worse than rogue one.
>>
>>15031642
Daily reminder it's 30 years after RotJ and they're still using janky ass X-Wings with no design updates whatsoever, because muh nostalgia.

Daily reminder the ending to Jedi was completely invalidated by saying the Empire is even more well-equipped and more powerful than ever in TFA, because we need to have muh Empire, muh Rebels (but they're called the Resistance now so they're totally not the same faction, guys)
>>
>>15031703
>> janky ass X-Wings with no design updates whatsoever,

what would a good modern update of the x-wing look like? something like the modern viper in battlstar galatica?

and I don't like the new x-wing design in tfa.
>>
>>15031703
F-15s and F-16s are still in use. They're both over 40 years old.
>>
File: 1476251567900.png (1MB, 1398x1114px) Image search: [Google]
1476251567900.png
1MB, 1398x1114px
>>15031703

The X-Wings used in the OT were T-65s. Poe's Black One is a T-70 (as were most Resistance X-Wings) and the New Republic's frontline fighter was the T-85. The T-65 was made famous as the "fighter that killed the Death Star" and was a rugged, well-rounded design, so it stands to reason that it was just built upon and modernized over the years.

You're right that it's mostly for muh nostalgia, but they at least tried to explain it away in a way that made sense.
>>
>>15031723
Did you not read the
>no design upgrades
part of his post?
Both the F-15 and F-16 have been upgraded constantly.
>>
>>15031684
Better at being different things

Rogue ones the better 'war' fluck. The prequels got that whole heroes journey and fall thing going on with chunks of political commentary
>>
>>15031703
>Daily reminder it's 30 years after RotJ and they're still using janky ass X-Wings with no design updates whatsoever, because muh nostalgia.
Even in the EU they were still using the latest version of the X-wing line in the Yuuzhan Vong War and the Second Galactic Civil War.

Even in real life we're still using updated versions of the F-15 Eagle, a 40 year old design.
>>
File: B-52-Flying.jpg (134KB, 1330x770px) Image search: [Google]
B-52-Flying.jpg
134KB, 1330x770px
>>
>>15025854
I saw it this morning. It was alright. Not a huge Star Wars buff but I wasn't expecting the ending.
>>
>>15026611
He was still the best part of the movie. Maybe I just wanted to watch a martial arts film instead of Star Wars, though.
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-15+at+02.36.23).jpg (52KB, 498x467px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-15+at+02.36.23).jpg
52KB, 498x467px
I know they were saying this brings only hope for the rebellion, but holy shit seeing all them get rekt only made me feel true despair

I liked it better than force awakens though.
>>
>>15029712
This reminds me of "dont wanna spend X hours staring a mans ass" posts on /v/
Usually, theyre games with adjustable camera zoom.
Just admit youre a pervert ok? You want to be the little girl, we get it
>>
>>15032082
R1 is indeed a better Star wars movie than TFA.
>>
>>15029355
Sorry but that fanfic tier Apprentice girl is too much for me.
I dont read EU shit anymore either
>>
>>15032108
To be frank I like games that let you do both. First route you go male because, selft insert, second route you female because... waifu creator. They are games, I do not understand why the fun should not be allowed.
>>
>>15029712
>>15032108
>>15032124
the bigger problem is how disney doesn't seems to be putting enough thoughts and efforts into making them compelling beyond making them female. They are just pandering.
>>
>>15025854
I liked it. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.
I'm still going to miss how the death star plans was a ginormous game of intergalactic hot potato bouncing from like 15 different people over the course of a dozen books, games, and apparently one British exclusive SW magazine. It was funny, in silly way.
>>
>>15031651
Time to fuck off back to /v/ retard kid
>>
File: 1463494275601 copy.jpg (318KB, 1728x1134px) Image search: [Google]
1463494275601 copy.jpg
318KB, 1728x1134px
>>
File: 1463494956424 copy.jpg (399KB, 1890x1240px) Image search: [Google]
1463494956424 copy.jpg
399KB, 1890x1240px
>>
>>15032392
Man, I loved that ship.
It's such a shame it never opens it's wings after the first shot with it.
>>
>>15025854
>Whills
>>
>Rogue One

They trying to tie this into "Legends" legacy canon's Rogue Squadron?
>>
>>15032732

No they're trying to make Rogue Squadron something in the new canon as well as the old, since it was one of the more popular elements. I'm pretty sure Poe oils Rogue Leader in The Force Awakens. I just wish they'd make a dirty dozen style Wraith Squadron now. They're the more interesting ones anyways.
>>
So can we all agree that:

V > IV > III = VI = RO > VII > I > II
>>
File: x wing rogue one premiere.jpg (960KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
x wing rogue one premiere.jpg
960KB, 2016x1512px
Full size X-wing at the movie premiere
>>
File: wxing 2r1 p.jpg (1MB, 2218x1663px) Image search: [Google]
wxing 2r1 p.jpg
1MB, 2218x1663px
>>15032762
>>
>>15032765
>>
TIE showed up for the afterparty
>>
>>15031052
It was on purpose to keep his power in check.
Remember how Palpatine became a Sith Lord? He fucking murder his master in sleep.

Vader is a good duelist and an excellent pilot with a strong force connection and above all trying to out dick the emperor in a 5D chess game..

It's idiotic for Palpatine to gave Vader the very best equipment and supplies. If somebody manage to defeat Vader then he will surely recruit that guy for the next apperentice
>>
>>15032753
OFFICIAL STAR WARS MOVIE POWER RANKINGS
1. V
2. IV
3. VI
4. III
5. RO
6. I
7. VII
8. Holiday Special
9. shit
10. II
>>
>>15025854

It was good but I was not sure how much grimdark could into fun while still fun and grimdark at the same time as into fun as time and still grimdark and fun so tone was still as fun as it was grimdark.
>>
>>15032742
Thats after the akbar movie

Dat mc-75 tho
>>
>>15032753
V > IV > III = VI > RO > II > VII > I
>>
>>15033287
>>15033077
>putting III so high
What the fuck is wrong with you guys? It was easily the second worst one.
>>
>>15033292
I dunno it was the best of the prequels for me. Even with all the youngling murder and sheev being sheev
>>
>>15033126
What the fuck are you trying to say.
>>
>>15033306
For me it had the most wooden acting, worst dialogue, and the most egregious overuse of CG. II's plot was a fucking mess so that goes at the bottom.
>>
>>15033292
It's a genuinely good movie, get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>15033310
no No NO NOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>15033306
McDiarmid was having such a fucking blast I couldn't even fault him for his ridiculous looking lightsaber fighting. Even when he initially revealed himself to Anakin it was surprisingly effective at how matter-of-fact it was "Holy shit you're Sidious" "Yes" "I should kill you right now" "You probably should" "Imma go get the council" "If you must" I loved that he was so in-control that he just let shit fall into place and only went full THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE IS STRONG WITHIN YOU after he let Anakin destroy everything he had. I still want him in Ep VIII or IX as some kind of Force Ghost just so he can hover around and fuck with Luke.
>>
Just got back from it. It was... okay. I had a hard time bringing myself to care about any of the team, especially Jyn. K-2SO was the most memorable character for me simply for being a discount HK-47.

The CG they used to resurrect Tarkin and de-age Leia looked mostly passable, but really uncanny valley at points. Seeing Vader be actually intimidating and dangerous on the big screen again was a definite bonus.

I think the tone is the strangest thing about it for me. Star Wars, despite the title and setting, has always resonated with me as an adventure series. RO is a straight up war movie. There's no hero's journey, no finding a greater purpose and companionship with your allies, just an objective and a team to complete it.
>>
>>15033645
With Saw's group, hit homes the original OT novelization description of how the Alliance was largely made up of not only freedom fighters but also terrorists, extremists, ex-prison convicts, basically anyone the Alliance could pull from the dregs of society around the galaxy against the Empire were not exactly on the morally right side of things.

So that worked.

Hell we even see a couple of Saw's men dressed up like durka durkas trying to blow themselves up which was definitely intentional as a visual shorthand.
>>
File: mfw stalker thread.jpg (123KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
mfw stalker thread.jpg
123KB, 1200x800px
>>15033914
>tfw will never be a outer rim warlord
>>
>>15033292
III was less boring than II and I. It showed some characterisation. It had the most quotable quotes.
>>
>>15033292
RoTS is great you contrarian faggot.
>>
>>15033077
Empire > Star Wars > Jedi > Rogue One > Sith >= Wakey Wakey Force > Battle for Endor > Caravan of Courage > Phantom Menace > Holiday Special > Send in the Clones

If you're going to include the Holiday Special, you can't go leaving out the Ewok movies.
>>
>>15034954
Objectively the worst ranking in the thread
>>
>>15034967
It ain't easy being the only with with proper taste.
>>
>>15034987
Proper shit taste you mean.
>>
Why is Attack of the Clones worse than Phantom Menace again? Did I miss a memo or something?
>>
File: now this is podracing.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
now this is podracing.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>15035150
space nascar
>>
Rogue One - All Vader Scenes

http://sendvid.com/0zzmxp7w
>>
>>15035150
Over use of CGI, really bad dialogue, too much focus on sub-romance plot between Anakin and Padme, etc...As much as the battles were great, the stuff with Kamino, the clones fighting, Jedi getting rescued, and Dooku being cool, it was the worst of the PT even with Jar-Jar's role minimized.

To me it goes:

RoTJ = TESB > RoTS = ANH = R1 > TFA > TPM = TCW > power gap > AoTC
>>
>>15031596
Is it kill?
>>
>>15036490
No idea. The LSG will probably keep it ambiguous until Rebels finally catches up to Scarif in a couple seasons.
>>
>>15027228
>Phoenix Squadron was obviously there since we outright saw the Ghost a few times

Where?
>>
File: U-wing.jpg (135KB, 1335x529px) Image search: [Google]
U-wing.jpg
135KB, 1335x529px
U-wing is best waifu.
>>
>>15037606
looks like another incom design
>>
>>15037655
It is
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.