[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which Brave shows besides GaoGaiGar are actually worth watching?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: brave-saga.jpg (206KB, 881x417px) Image search: [Google]
brave-saga.jpg
206KB, 881x417px
Which Brave shows besides GaoGaiGar are actually worth watching?
>>
>>15021453
All of them except Goldran because holy fuck was that irritating. Fighbird is best Brave followed by Dagwon and Da-Garn. Might Gaine is awesome (and the darkest), but the first quarter is tough to swallow.
>>
Which order would you recommend?
>>
>>15021499
Any, J-Decker was my second (third of you count Betterman) after GGG.
>>
>>15021499
Chronological order
>>
Ok Thanks for the help. I'll probably continue with J Decker and Might Gaine then.

(Btw. How do I reply to people on the Clover app?)
>>
>>15021512
Make sure you watch Da Garn too. It has best story and best protag. Seiji had more balls than Guy.
>>
>>15021464
This here is bait; Goldran is the best Brave while Fighbird and Dagwon are some of the worst

Goldran and Da Garn really are the only two I'd say are worth watching other than GGG. Maybe Might Gaine is good, but I haven't seen it (last I checked, it wasn't fully subbed anyway). The likes of Fighbird and Exkaiser are simple MotW shit full of poorly animated stock footage and without even so much as an attempt to make them remotely interesting.

J-Decker I don't like because there's almost no plot whatsoever. Most of these shows do have minimal plot, but at least they have some sort of overarching villain to create some kind of buildup. Not so for J-Decker. That said, it does develop characters more than any other Brave and the animation is good enough.
>>
>>15022194
>This here is bait; Goldran is the best Brave while Fighbird and Dagwon are some of the worst
Cool lies, dude
>>
>>15022194
>The likes of Fighbird and Exkaiser are simple MotW shit full of poorly animated stock footage and without even so much as an attempt to make them remotely interesting.
It's almost like you never saw a Braves series. Also what is wrong with monsters of the week? They are literally the best thing in anime history and mecha anime would never achieve its heights of glory without them!
>>
>>15022204
>It's almost like you never saw a Braves series
I've noticed that Fighbird and Exkaiser are noticeably worse in the animation department than the rest. They're also much more simplistic than the rest. They're literally just "space pirates fuck something up, space cops must beat them and stop it" every episode. Show like Goldran work somewhat better because they give the characters actual goals to be working for and use the format to develop the characters.

>Also what is wrong with monsters of the week?
If I thought it was inherently bad, I'd never actually touch a Brave show. However, the thing about MotW shows is that they're prone to becoming either incredibly formulaic or incredibly stupid as the writers begin to run out of ideas, especially if they don't bother to explore the characters and setting. Neither Fighbird nor Exkaiser did, and so we end up with dumb episodes like the Geisters fighting the Kaisers with a sentient amusement park or Draias's team getting the wonderful idea of using a lunar mass driver to shoot moon rocks at Earth. I haven't watched Dagwon, admittedly, but from what I've heard of it, it falls into the exact same trap. Something about the Dag team fighting ant people.
>>
>>15021535
It should be noted that due to Yatabe being the director, most of the robots don't have personality in that, despite him having a more story-oriented writer this time around compared to Exkaiser and Fighbird.
>>
>>15022265
>Show like Goldran work somewhat better because they give the characters actual goals to be working for and use the format to develop the characters.
they are absolutely horrendous though in every sense of the word, the first two thirds were a total drag and it ended on a horrid cliffhanger.
>becoming either incredibly formulaic or incredibly stupid as the writers begin to run out of ideas, especially if they don't bother to explore the characters and setting. Neither Fighbird nor Exkaiser did
You act as though any of that is important
>>
>>15022280
>they are absolutely horrendous though in every sense of the word
No idea how you can unironically like the cast of Da Garn but hate the cast of Goldran. Both are quite similar, though the Goldran cast is funnier.

>the first two thirds were a total drag and it ended on a horrid cliffhanger.
The first two thirds were national stereotype comedy with actual plot development. Again, its comparable to what Da Garn did, only stretched out a bit longer. The end of Goldran was not in any way a cliffhanger and you'd have to be a frothing retard to think that. It was one of those "the adventure continues" endings with the implication that they'd do the same shit to daddy Walzac that they did to his sons, only without searching for the golden treasure or whatever it was called since they already found that.

>You act as though any of that is important
It wouldn't be if there was any other redeeming factor in these shows. The animation's shit too. And while I like the mecha design and the music, it's not enough to save a show that has poor writing, a bland setting and slideshow action scenes. Granted, a lot of Braves still have the latter, but some of them managed to get the first one or two right.
>>
>>15022314
>No idea how you can unironically like the cast of Da Garn but hate the cast of Goldran. Both are quite similar, though the Goldran cast is funnier.
They have nothing in common cast-wise aside from villains turning good.
>The first two thirds were national stereotype comedy with actual plot development. Again, its comparable to what Da Garn did, only stretched out a bit longer.
You're implying Da-Garn is funny let alone national humor.
>The end of Goldran was not in any way a cliffhanger
How is being chased by a fucking fleet not a cliffhanger ending?
It was one of those "the adventure continues" endings with the implication that they'd do the same shit to daddy Walzac that they did to his sons
And they never bothered
>It wouldn't be if there was any other redeeming factor in these shows.
Except music, art, fights, pacing, creativity, and all around being solid. That and Draias is easily one of the best /m/ villains in the history of anime.
> The animation's shit too
No it's stock footage, I've seen bad animation from Sunrise and both Exkaiser and Fighbird are leagues about garbage like Outlaw Star.
>it's not enough to save a show that has poor writing
Goldran is bad writing: The show.... At least it was before Valvrave and IBO came along.
>a bland setting
How DARE it take place in Japan!
>>
The only one I've seen other than GGG is Goldran. It annoyed me at first but I stuck with it and it grew on me. You don't watch it for the action, because that's repetitive and formulaic, and the mechanical design is honestly nothing special on the whole either. You watch it for its humour and characters instead, which I thought was actually pretty excellent. The scenarios are inherently absurd, the show actually has a decent sense of humour even though that humour is very kid-friendly, and the characters are amazing, Walter in particular is one of my favourite comedic characters in a mecha series and maybe one of my favourite characters full stop, he has this real tom and jerry / coyote and road runner dynamic with the protagonists that doesn't get old, although that eventually changes to, but he stays really entertaining throughout. Still, it's definitely not a conventional series at all even by super robot standards, and whether you enjoy it or not depends on what exactly you enjoyed about GGG.
>>
>>15022314
>It wouldn't be if there was any other redeeming factor in these shows. The animation's shit too. And while I like the mecha design and the music, it's not enough to save a show that has poor writing, a bland setting and slideshow action scenes.
So it's Martian Successor Nadesico.
>>
>>15022365
It's easier to think of it as Brave doing Time Bokan, but with a trio as the MCs, and the heroic duo being the villains instead. Furthermore, Nabeshin, that crazy director dude with the Lupin outfit, wrote some of the episodes on here.
>>
>>15022365
>You watch it for its humour and characters instead
And it is awful as fuck, only the Walzac brothers were remotely likable on the human side
>>
>>15022368
or Vandread
>>
can we all at least agree every Brave series is better than Concrete Revolutio?
>>
>>15022403
not a difficult feat, would have selected Rayearth
>>
>>15022403
>>15022408
Paranoia Agent is even worse than them
>>
>>15022359
>They have nothing in common cast-wise aside from villains turning good.
Sure they do. Seiji is basically the three kids combined into one guy. Six Changer's alien kid is Serious. Butcher is Walter. Advenger is a lot like Da Garn. Seven Changer is similar to Sorakage. The rest of Da Garn's robot cast doesn't have much character to speak of, so there's not many other comparisons to draw.

>You're implying Da-Garn is funny let alone national humor.
Humour is subjective, but I liked it.

>How is being chased by a fucking fleet not a cliffhanger ending?
Because they'd already dealt with the exact same shit. It's pretty obvious that they could handle it again.

>Except music, art, fights, pacing, creativity, and all around being solid. That and Draias is easily one of the best /m/ villains in the history of anime.
The fights are shit, there's no pacing on account of there being no plot, comparatively speaking, Goldran is far more creative if we're going there, and Draias has zero character traits whatsoever aside from "evil." You can't be one of the best on character design alone.

>No it's stock footage
I know it's stock footage. And the stock footage itself is shit. It's difficult to think of even a single instance in Exkaiser or Fighbird where one character actually hit another onscreen during a fight scene.

>Goldran is bad writing: The show
In what way?

>How DARE it take place in Japan!
Lots of shows take place in Japan. Setting is more than physical location, numbnuts. It's also about things like time period, mythology, the physical laws of the universe. So for example, they establish that Exkaiser is from some sort of space police, which could have been an interesting setting detail, but we never learn a single thing about this space police.
>>
>>15022429
>Lies: The Post
>>
>>15021512
Tap the three dots on the upper right of their post and hit quick reply.
>>
I've been watching Dagwon, I'm up to the low 30s.

It seems the further the show gets from the core boys the better it gets.

Some of the episodes are really odd, like the one with the cats and the fairly clever directing style compared to the usual episodes, or the one where the alien bad guy is about to unleash a horrible device that will spread evil and sin through the Earth and then he succeeds but the joke's on him humans are already shit so everything stays the same The End.
>>
Just watch everything in any order; they're all good (at least after episodes at beginning), but they don't have relationship with other series in animes.
If you want to "prepare" for Brave series, I suggest you to watch Transformers: Victory first.

Exkaiser and Fighbird feature intelligent robots being stupid(?) because they don't know about Earth so well and that's great
Da Garn is good, but I don't really remember anything else than Da Garn and Seiji was trying to look like a comic book hero in commercial bumper scenes
Might Gaine is... I dunno; I just didn't watch the series only because I didn't like the MC in 1st episode, so maybe ask someone else?
J-Decker is my first Brave series, and it's also good, but I don't remember well too
Goldran - I particularly like this series; I like antagonists that change, and the children and robots were cute
Dagwon - I didn't watch this series after 1st episode before because there was no kids in this show, but after subbing this from the 17th episode, I found that this series also is good. Just note that earlier episodes are rather boring
GGG - It shares a dark mood with Dendoh. Good series and attractive characters, but the story was kinda weighty and I didn't like that.

You might want to watch Eldran series too! They were competing with Brave series at the time, and actually had higher view rates at time in Japan. Robots are piloted in this series, while robots all fully sentient in Brave series.
>>
I just want Might Gaine to be properly fully sub, those HK subs can only do so much.
>>
>>15021535
Da Garn had a crappy story with crappy characters. The only thing it had going for it was action. J-Decker has the best story.
>>
>>15022576
You're up to about six episodes before Dagwon's animation suddenly becomes fucking awesome out of nowhere and stays that way for the rest of the show. I have no idea why the budget suddenly triples.
>>
>>15022576
Dagwon has some really fucked-up shit in some of its episodes. The one with the twins was another one.
>>
>>15025459
I bet the animators decided to try and not disappoint Obari and the rest of their Studio G-1 mentors.
>>
>>15021510
Bullshit. Do you ask people to watch Super Sentai on chronological order?

Each show is different and not connected. So just jump on anything you like and you'll good to go.
>>
>>15025472
May have been those funds from Goldran finally starting to roll in.

I did hear that Goldran had the television viewership of the entire series, though not the highest DVD sales
>>
Goldran, J-Decker, and Da Garn are best. I'm still watching the last of those though. MG is ok, so is Dagwon. Haven't seen the first two.

>>15022194
>there's almost no plot whatsoever

There's a big midshow arc and the last... like, I think seven or so episodes? Tie everything together. From the point where that one alien shows up and traps most of the cast until the last ep.

>>15024694
>Might Gaine is... I dunno; I just didn't watch the series only because I didn't like the MC in 1st episode, so maybe ask someone else?

Might Gaine is a show where the litmus test is getting halfway through, like Macross 7. If you can get to the halfway point, you're going to like it. If you can't, you're going to not like it.

Early on it seems pretty standard stuff, Maito is anime Batman but not particularly interesting, the robots have basically no personality outside of Gaine (who has that generic MC robo personality all the MC robos do for the most part in Braves), and the episode plots are either absurd, absurd and shit, really good, or bleh - and usually this depends on which villain of the week is around. But Rival Joe makes it a bit better, and if you get halfway through, and the plot starts setting in (One of the villains gets taken out, another pulls a Khamen Khamen style takeover of the plot, and the Brave Express gets increasingly brutal in taking down villains while Rival Joe and Wolfgang band together to become Best Characters), you'll like it.

Oh, also: Might Gaine has the absolute best episode plots at times. Black Might Gaine is really, really top tier by Brave standards, and a few others still stand out in my head as being really good (the ramen stand, the time they're trapped in that town, the butterfly ninja, Joint Dragon Fire, Wolfgang quitting villainy for an episode, Tribomber dying...). It just has the issue that a lot of others are at best memorable for being really, really fucking stupid.

>>15025517
Goldran was the ratings king, yes.
>>
>>15021453
Dagwon feels a lot like Super Sentai, and I don't mean that because five dudes turn into armored lads, but the whole writing, voice acting, OST, it all sounds a lot like 90s Sentai (Zyuranger and Megaranger)
>>
>>15027613
As it should, the head writer Kenichi Araki did in fact write episodes for Sentai (Jetman, in particular). They even got Yutaka Hirose for an heroic role.

>>15026487
Yeah, Might Gaine is definitely a case of "quality depending on the writer". It's no wonder why Subdivers are being hesitant with taking on it.
>>
>>15027624
>It's no wonder why Subdivers are being hesitant with taking on it.

I mean, the fact that the guy running Subdivers is the one I replied to and just said he didn't get past episode 1 might be a factor.
>>
>>15027855
I really want to finish Might Gaine, but I don't want the bad subs to ruin any of the later moments. It really sucks that the good subs run out halfway through.

If I didn't care so much I'd just finish the series already, and then go back and try to make the HK subs read better for anyone else in the same boat as I am now.
>>
this was a literal titty monster on par with Sailor Moon
>>
>>15027990
Reminds me of Queen Himika from Steel Jeeg.
>>
>>15028004
I wonder what the origins of the monster hand bra are
>>
>>15027855
>>15027895
What about that Exkaiser guy on YouTube?
>>
>>15027895
>but I don't want the bad subs to ruin any of the later moments
When people tell you that the ending of Might Gaine is where it gets good they literally mean the last two or three episodes. The show flat out isn't very good the vast majority of the time and the only reason the ending even works is because the show had so much of its potential totally squandered by executive and marketing demands.

I'd put all of the other Braves above it, except for maybe Exkaiser.
>>
>>15028058
He actually does translation checking for Subdivers

I'm fine with them doing the Eldran series now. It has been overlooked for far too long, especially the latter two. It's as if Raijin-Oh is the Eldran version of GGG. I'm sure we can get the rest of Might Gaine's plot semi-coherently from SRW V anyhow
>>
>>15025415
>Da Garn had a crappy story with crappy characters.
GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>15028062
Eh, in this topic itself you can see people saying that they enjoyed various later episodes, not only the ending. Not dismissing your opinion, but what you're saying isn't really any kind of consensus.
>>
>>15028096
> It's as if Raijin-Oh is the Eldran version of GGG.
It essentially is, right down to only half of the show being dubbed (but for a better reason this time), and the R1 releases starting with singles before ending with a box.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.