[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Evangel-a-like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

File: evalike01.jpg (27KB, 300x209px) Image search: [Google]
evalike01.jpg
27KB, 300x209px
For you, my dearest /m/

>https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2011-06-05

>I'm not going to focus on how Evangelion might've influenced merchandising or production - that's a tough nut to crack indeed.
>Instead, I'm going to look at ten anime series that were so obviously influenced by what Evangelion was that they couldn't have happened without it.
>>
>>15020571
>brain powerd is still unironically referenced as an eva clone
it's been 20 years already
you'd think by now plebs would've realized it was in production longer than eva
>>
>5 year old article
Who the fuck cares, why are you digging through ANN
>>
>>15020581
>it was in production longer than eva

To be fair, it is very difficult to believe a show with such crappy production quality would require a grand 4 years to complete.
>>
>>15020614
APOLOGIZE
>>
>>15020614
tell that Musashi Gundoh or Daishogun
>>
>doesn't even mention Ordian
>>
>>15020571

Brain Powerd is nothing like Eva.
Gasaraki has some 'stoic' MCs that kind of remind one of Rei. But even still they are entirely different.

Both shows are far superior to Eva as well.
>>
File: 1449439932485.jpg (105KB, 580x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1449439932485.jpg
105KB, 580x1012px
>>15020655
>Both shows are far superior to Eva as well.

It will never cease to amaze me how far /m/ is willing to go into contrarianism.
>>
>>15020668
Well they were the best two mecha shows of the 90s.
>>
>>15020670

Yes, yes, I get it already hipster-kun, your metric for a good show is based solely on how unsuccessful it is in comparison to how similar and more popular another show is, you don't need to repeat yourself.
>>
>>15020668
>Eva
>contrarianism
Impossible. Unless you spend all your time on hugbox communities like /a/, it's very common to see diverse opinions on Eva. It's a controversial show for some reason.
>>
>>15020571
Gasaraki is good
>>
>>15020655
but EVA has a generic beta harem MC for self-insertion and two generic stereotypical harem heroines (Asuka a violent tsundere who abuses the generic beta harem MC for no reason at all and Rei a kuudere without emotions).
>>
>>15020724
Yes, when you simplify everything down to it's barebones, you can make anything sound hackneyed. But I guess that's what passes for conversation here.

>>15020699
I'm pretty sure Gasaraki is definitely good, but I need to watch it again to see if it's GREAT. I went the first time just wanting entertainment. I was still impressed, but I wasn't in the right mindset.

It's so wonderfully unique in execution and scope. Also, gorgeous. And Izubuchi makes my dick hard like you wouldn't possibly believe.
>>
>>15020689

If that was true then I would be rating other shows as best. For example, Brain Powerd was popular enough to appear in SRW, where not every mecha anime has been. So I would have to chose a less popular show. Gasaraki was also fairly successful as it at least had Takahashi fans willing to give it a shot right from the get go. There are way more obscure and unpopular shows I could have chosen.

They were just really great shows. Tomino succeeded at his crazy metaphorical assault on 2nd wave feminism, the chaos of misunderstanding in modern life, and his praise of traditional motherhood as a counter balance to the chaos. And Gasaraki did a great job giving us a dry political thriller with supernatural undertones with cool "realistic" mecha action. They both hit their mark with what the director wanted to do with them - and that is the best thing a show can do.
>>
>>15020581
The best part is that people that write such articles probably haven't even watched it or any of Tomino's classical shows otherwise they would know that it follows his standard formula that has been around for twenty years before Evangelion and that if both shows have any similarities it's because Anno copied Tomino's themes and archetypes.
>>
>>15021026
Anno and Kawamori are two copypasta from Tomino's works.
>>
>>15021034
Why do you all continue to pretend that Tomino is the only original creator and everyone else learned from or copied from exclusively him?
Ignorance of anyone else or any non-gundam works?

It's baffling.
>>
>>15020839
> Brain Powerd was popular enough to appear in SRW
Not a good point; series don't make it into SRW based on popularity. It's based on what Bamco wants and what it can get the license for. Allegedly, Zeorymer wasn't even remembered by its own author until Bamco came knocking, for example. Big O made it in as well, and we all know that that show flopped horribly in Japan.

And it's pointless to compare either of those shows to Eva. You and I both know that they don't even come close to matching Evangelion's popularity. Hell, I would argue that there's no single mecha show that actually does. Franchises like Gundam are probably about as well known as Eva, but I doubt any one Gundam show on its own is as popular as Eva
>>
File: 1454447966222.png (244KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1454447966222.png
244KB, 500x375px
>>15020571
>Evangelion was unquestionably one of the most important anime of the 1990s, right up there with Utena, Serial Experiments Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun

American anime "fans" and their laughable exposure to anime isn't so funny.
>>
File: 1466563867458.jpg (247KB, 1279x1077px) Image search: [Google]
1466563867458.jpg
247KB, 1279x1077px
>>15021087
>>
>>15021038
I don't remember saying "only" and "exclusively". There is no such thing as "original" in art. Tomino also copied from tons of places.
The point is to use these raw materials to create something that hasn't been expressed in such way before.
Tomino is very idiosyncratic.
In comparison Anno's work is Frankenstein's monster. I'm not trying to shittalk him. I still like most of his stuff. He is a decent director from a technical perspective but he is not a very good creator.
>>
>>15021076
Is there a giant Eva statue in the middle of Tokyo?
>>
>>15021076

Even if I grant you that, if my ascription of "best mecha anime of the 90s" was defined by what was obscure and unpopular then Brain Powerd and Gasaraki would not be at the top of my list, because there are more obscure and unpopular /m/ shows from that period. That was my point. I would have then picked something like "Soul Frame Lazenca" instead.

>>15021038
No one ever says that about Takahashi. I wouldn't say that about Kawamori either personally. It's just Anno really who gets charged with this around here.
>>
File: 1438638764191.jpg (128KB, 400x534px) Image search: [Google]
1438638764191.jpg
128KB, 400x534px
Anno's strength is that he's a hardcore fan who reached mainstream success. He's so deft at copying influential anime/manga. His works are just a hodgepodge of references and remixes of works from previous decades thrown together in a melting pot of stylish animation. Fellow otaku nod at his obscure references and plebs eat it up as pure revolutionary genius. I both admire and hate him for it. But as a fellow hardcore fan, his works do not stir me like the works that he copies. Ultimately, whatever Anno does has been done far better by someone else a long time ago.
>>
>>15021100
>No one ever says that about Takahashi. I wouldn't say that about Kawamori either personally. It's just Anno really who gets charged with this around here.
Yeah. One starts to wonder.

In fact Kawamori has nothing to do with Tomino. Macross was only inspired by Gundam in a sense that the real robot genre gained popularity after it's success.
As for Anno he probably owes even more to Uncle Go than to Tomino.
>>
>>15021110
>Macross was only inspired by Gundam in a sense that the real robot genre gained popularity after it's success.
Actually, Macross began as a carbon copy of Gundam. They literally wanted to make their own Gundam. Luckily, they moved away from that as the production evolved. Do a little googling and you can read about it.
>>
>>15021087
What does it even mean to be an "important anime"? If we're going in terms of influence, I sure as hell don't see a lot of anime that copycat Utena or Lain, which is good seeing as they're both awful.

I haven't seen Bebop or Trigun, but it doesn't seem to me like they affected much other than Americans with incredibly limited perspective.

>>15021107
I agree about Eva, but I can't agree with you about Gunbuster. It works on so many levels because it managed to humanize its protagonist in a way that I have yet to see any mecha show surpass. All the dramatic and emotional scenes knocked it out of the fucking park because of this. Anno made me feel more in six episodes than every Tomino show I've ever watched put together.
>>
>>15021123
>I haven't seen Bebop or Trigun, but it doesn't seem to me like they affected much other than Americans with incredibly limited perspective.
You're completely correct. As much as I love Trigun, it's a throwaway anime from the 90s. But it got a lot of mainstream success in America, so somehow the hacks at ANN think this must be the case all over the world.
>>
>>15020571
>>15020571
feminists + sjws + yuri fans + hate boner for male character + unconditional love for female caracters = ANN

They simply detonated Cross Ange and KonoSuba in its reviews, using feminist speeches and sjw headcanons.
>>
>>15021112
Seems more to me like it was Ishiguro wanting to make another Space Battleship Yamato before Tatsunoko came knocking and told him that they needed some god damn merchandise.

Besides, being a carbon copy of 0079 doesn't mean much when 0079 was fairly heavily inspired by the 70s shows before it. If it started as a Gundam copy, I don't see any remnants of that since SDF Macross really does cut down on the toyetic nature of Gundam quite a bit (no super protoypes, robots based on real world vehicles, etc) and their plots go in completely different directions.
>>
The most obvious Eva ripoff of all is Rahxephon. It's inexcusable.
>>
File: konosubagodsblessing03.jpg (344KB, 1008x609px) Image search: [Google]
konosubagodsblessing03.jpg
344KB, 1008x609px
>>15021136
>They simply detonated Cross Ange and KonoSuba in its reviews, using feminist speeches and sjw headcanons.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2016/winter/konosuba/.97525

Shouldn't Aqua be qualified as butt-monkey character that is extremely common in media? now anything depicting female as joke character would be somewhat sexist and misogynistic now, way to go with their double standard, the feminists!
>>
>>15021123
Nobody said that either Eva or Gunbuster or any other of Anno's shows is not good or not effective. He is a pretty good director and his shows are well composed and put together to have maximum impact on the viewer.

Tomino's direction is not focused on that. It's not going to knock you out of your seat. It's more like something that will make you go "Oh!" an year later.

The important thing is to think, not to feel.
>>
>>15021198
Both Tomino and Anno's works wear their themes on their sleeves, as with almost all anime. It's very obvious what both are trying to do at all times

Regardless, I don't really care what people in the entertainment industry think about war or whatever. I care about whether they can entertain and put together a compelling narrative.
>>
>>15021136
The preview guides are made for nothing but clickbait, you should know that. As they have nothing to go on but the first episode, and their gut first impression. The reviewer for cross Ange actually really like the show. Not at first. But they came around, and absolutely especially loved ange as a character.
>>
>>15021136
> yuri fans + hate boner for male character + unconditional love for female caracters
Isn't that /a/?
>>
...guys
GUYS THE LIST DOESN'T EVEN MENTION ARGENTO SOMA

HOW IGNORANT DO YOU HAVE TO BE
>>
>>15020780
>It's so wonderfully unique in execution and scope. Also, gorgeous

While I'm positive you can break down the ingredients of what makes Gasaraki what it is and show that it isn't entirely 100% original content donut steel, I do agree it's a very unique and unmistakable experience.

I think it also really REALLY stands out on its own if you have interest in Japanese culture and then-contemporary issues.
>>
>>15021212
> Regardless, I don't really care what people in the entertainment industry think about war or whatever. I care about whether they can entertain and put together a compelling narrative.

Especially when, if we are being honest, Tomino's anti-war narratives have always been kind of muddled. The are on the one hand very simple but ridiculously self-contradictory.
"Killing people is wrong! War is hell! So say I, the one who has proven themselves THE BEST AT MURDER."
>>
>>15020670
>Well they were the best two mecha shows of the 90s.

The best mecha show of the nineties was Gao Gai Gar. As for Evangelion, it has at the most 2 or 3 really good mecha episodes. The rest of the episodes are mental masturbation.
>>
File: unieye done right.jpg (620KB, 1432x1076px) Image search: [Google]
unieye done right.jpg
620KB, 1432x1076px
>>15021107
You're not a hardcore fan, just a hardcore wanker. Anno was an autistic kid who drew nonstop from kindergarten to University, developing crazy skill and a long eye for others' talent. What you peasant call "stylish animation" is in reality his masterful directing that singlehandedly raised the bar for animation and directing to hopeless heights for most competitors. Even his handling of sound effects and music is completely novel in the industry and all together his talent is still practically unreachable with the japanese style of animation. (If not for Gainax-spawned Trigger.)

The fact Anno has the superior taste to pick Ideon as an inspiration out of the entirety of more popular Tomino works just confirms he is the one real deal anime genius from every perspective and analysis, who will be increasingly worshipped in the decades to come, no matter how many shitty rebuilds and pretentious messages he vomits.
>>
File: 1479589210806.jpg (2MB, 2816x2176px) Image search: [Google]
1479589210806.jpg
2MB, 2816x2176px
>>15021107
>>
>>15021517
>The best mecha show of the nineties was Gao Gai Gar.

That wasn't even the best Brave show.
>>
>>15020571
OP How many generic haremshit shows like Evangelion are there?
>>
File: 1481677481572.jpg (3MB, 3767x2218px) Image search: [Google]
1481677481572.jpg
3MB, 3767x2218px
>>15021585
a lot
>>
File: Gasaraki.jpg (78KB, 530x767px) Image search: [Google]
Gasaraki.jpg
78KB, 530x767px
Gasaraki got greenlight because Takahashi promised some Evacash-like show to Sunrise, but at the end it was very bold, political and unique material.

Brain Powerd is just trash.
>>
>>15021139
>Seems more to me
I don't care what it "seems to you", I'm telling you facts about how Macross came to be.
>>
>>15021697
The facts of the matter are that even if it started as a copy of Gundam by the end of the production it was nothing like it and much like Yamato.
>>
>>15022249
But that has nothing to do with your initial statement of
>Macross was only inspired by Gundam in a sense that the real robot genre gained popularity after it's success.
Which is incorrect and I was just pointing out why.
>>
>>15022330
OK. Macross was only inspired by Gundam in a sense that a lot of the production team were Gundam fans and wanted to make something like it but after various modifications and creative input by many people it ended up completely different. Better?
>>
>>15022415
Subjective and passive-aggressive, but substantially more accurate. At least it's not flat out wrong. Good job!
>>
The one thing in Gasaraki that even remotely resembles anything in Evangelion in any significant way is literally the very last scene in the anime. I haven't seen Brain Powerd yet so I can't flat-out deny it, but apart from the tenuous connection of the mecha being more biological than mechanical there really isn't anything about the characters or plot that seems to resemble Eva much at all.
>>
>>15021501
This is a gross simplification. Actually, when I think about it it's not even in the slightest correct.
Tomino's work is almost exclusively about:
>>15020839
>assault on 2nd wave feminism
>the chaos of misunderstanding
>praise of traditional motherhood
In fact war is presented as a natural thing that arises from humanity's instinct for survival, which is a good thing. Of course, many people die in the process and this kind of sucks, so this part is sort of anti-war. But the anti-war message it's mostly purely accidental. It's more of an anti-social-alienation sort of thing. Though you could argue that the two are related, and you would most certainly be correct, war is only one of the things that suck about being human, while alienation is pretty much everything that sucks about being human. Or at least that's what Tomino seems to think. I'm inclined to agree.

>Killing people is wrong! War is hell! So say I, the one who has proven themselves THE BEST AT MURDER.
Everyone is hypocritical like that. It's just human nature after all.
>>
>>15021076
In America maybe but SEED and SEED Destiny sold more than Eva
>>
>>15022442
Having played SRW J, the plot of Brain Powered seems like standard Tomino shit with the only tenuous similarity to Eva being that Hime goes on some sort of vision quest inside Orphan near the end and apparently anything with some sort of mind trip is an Eva knockoff
>>
>>15021517
>GaoGaiGar
>best mecha show of the 90s
Yeah no, not even within the Brave Series.
>>
>>15021171
>Kazuma is an insecure, whiny, woman-hating creepazoid who gets off on trying to humiliate Aqua.
Wow, talk about buzzwords.
>>
>>15020571
ANN
>>15021136
>feminists + sjws + yuri fans + hate boner for male character + unconditional love for female caracters = ANN
>They simply detonated Cross Ange and KonoSuba in its reviews, using feminist speeches and sjw headcanons.
>>15021141
>http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2016/winter/konosuba/.97525
>>15025212
>Wow, talk about buzzwords.

>ANN (Anime News Network)
Do people still take this site's reviews seriously?
>>
>>15027971
>Do people still take this site's reviews seriously?
Believe it or not, they're not all bad. They mostly just go for click bait style garbage with the preview guides, cause it gets mad views. Some of the writers are complete garbage, but some times you get a situation where people actually know what they're talking about.

Mostly though, the site seems to run on the logic that ignorance is a virtue, like most online journalism. So yes, by nature it's mostly shit.
>>
>>15027971
>ANN reviews and AnimeSuki translations
nobody takes them seriously.
>>
Thread theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKROINp1mr8
>>
>>15020614
4 years in production doesn't mean 4 years of animators, writers and directors working full-time to create an unprecedented masterpiece. It just means 4 years between the original pitch and the show airing. Very little work will have been done in the first 3 years; mostly planning, gathering funding and people and playing corporate politics. If it took 3+ years to finally convince enough people that this project is a worthwhile investment to make the show viable, then it's not too surprising that the end result looks like it was made from scraped-together resources, because it likely was.
>>
>>15020571
BP hasn't much in common in Eva.

>>15020614
Preproduction.
>>
>>15020695
>hugbox communities like /a/
What fucking world are you living in?
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.