[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JJ Abrams need not apply

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 14

File: ancient_eclipse_by_blamtroid.jpg (28KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
ancient_eclipse_by_blamtroid.jpg
28KB, 900x506px
>Hollywood Gundam trilogy by competent Director.
>Artsy/retro/cool teaser trailers before popular blockbusters
>Nostalgiafags and Children want to see it cause Giant Robutz
> Already strong female roles in a Sayla, Matilda, Mirai and already multi-cultured crew for PC generation
>Competes with Star Wars
>America/West loves the villains and heroes/robots
>Has amazing box office because above reasons
>Merchandising makes oceans of money
>Gundam is now not only a relevant franchise in west, but a huge lucrative cash cow

Pic related, opening shot of film accompanied by "From Sleep" performed by London Philharmonic Orchestra w/ narration :
"It is the year 0079 of the Universal Century. A half-century has passed since Earth began moving its burgeoning population into gigantic orbiting space colonies etc etc"

It's a nagging question, but yay or nay on a film series? Do you want Gundam to only be for patricians or let the pleb neogeek culture have a slice.
>>
How is this even a question? Nay I say.
>>
JJ Abrams should direct. The combination of intense action and engrossing, absorbing emotion seen in the opening scene of Star Trek is exactly what Gundam deserves.
>>
>>15012666

Falls flat because it's giant robots from Japan and it's based off a cartoon that no-one takes seriously.
>>
>>15012666
The problem is that they will always fuck it up in the name of "we need to adapt this for the American audience". Look at stuff like Star Trek, it's extremely straightforward but the recent rebooted movies are abominations "made for today's audience".

Also, you forgot a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8SqGIdceTQ&list=PL2rcpN4ZxQcM3YX3MCQzZeJ77myWh6QL_
>>
>>15012666
First off, Satan, no.

Second, why would anyone WANT this? Anyone with half a brain knows Hollywood destroys anything it touches. Especially anything anime related. Gundam in the west is doing great right now already being itself. B&N and even some local hobby shops stock (limited) gunpla, The Origin is one of the best selling manga in the west, IBO is airing on television...

Also, no one wants black char and Sayla. Sayla's nipples are pink god damn it.
>>
>>15012705
>Hollywood destroys anything it touches.
Even the worst MCU movies are leagues better than anything Marvel does these days.
>>
>>15012689
Beautiful rendition of From Sleep. Never heard that before.
GitS is done in a very western manor and it doesn't look nearly as bad as it thought it would be. The melding of cultures and artistry can be done correctly.
The scenario I am putting out here is a well done epic trilogy on the scale of star wars by a competent director.
>>
File: 44618010.cached.jpg (65KB, 362x550px) Image search: [Google]
44618010.cached.jpg
65KB, 362x550px
>>15012721
Agreed.
>>
File: Faith-keeping-it-positive.png (648KB, 694x493px) Image search: [Google]
Faith-keeping-it-positive.png
648KB, 694x493px
>>15012721
>>15012744
Can't destroy what is already in rubble.
>>
>>15012769
Technically that's DC, but still applies.
Western Comics are dead and Jews killed them.
>>
>>15012788
The Jew gave comics life, and the Jew shall take it away.

But with Marvel I honestly expect it of them, political statements are their identity.
>>
>>15012705
I wouldn't say that's "doing well".
That's doing very very slightly above average with an incredibly niche market.
Gundam has never been marketed correctly. If it was, for example done as a film, it would bring in tons of fans young and old and create a strong market share. (For better or worse)
And the reasons you listed why it shouldn't in my eyes is all the reason it should.
>>
>>15012803

Except who's going to watch it? The very small enclave of Gundam fans that exist in America?
>>
>>15012666

> nostalgiafags

Unless it's Wing there's not much nostalgia for Gundam in America.
>>
>>15012813
Did you know people see movies without being familiar with the source material? Is that concept foreign now it has Hollywood crushed creativity so much that audiences can only be expected to see what they know.
It would be a risk to make this hypothetical film, but star wars in 1977 was a risk too. How many people in the USA are familiar with Ghost in the Shell, but are going to pour into the theaters because of Scarlett Johansson poon and good marketing?
>>
>>15012823
Is that concept so foreign now, has Hollywood crushed.....

I hate posting on a phone. I apologize for that grammatical abomination.
>>
>>15012821
I'm 24 now and almost every boy at least knew what it was because of Toonami. They played Wing and 0079. Most people casuals/normies don't care what series is being made into a movie,as long as the name sticks.
>>
The guy from pacific rim
>>
File: image.png (155KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
155KB, 600x600px
Live action Gundamu could be great if it was done right.

It wouldn't be done right.
>>
File: murray_by_drawblefuss-d31ulny.jpg (40KB, 800x403px) Image search: [Google]
murray_by_drawblefuss-d31ulny.jpg
40KB, 800x403px
>>15012666
While I think it's something that COULD be done, the simple fact is it won't. To get the kind of backing you'd need you'd be subject to any number of corporate interests insisting on how things be done. Just look at Transformers or Power Rangers, where their mechs have gone. The Gundam would go the same way, into an unrecognizable mass of greebles and pseudo-alien curves. They wouldn't just do the sensible thing and, say, ditch the parade colors to make it look like a giant mass of M1 armor plates, they'd make it look like a pile of razorblades and paperclips.

You also wouldn't just ditch the blue and pink uniforms in order to have everyone in EFSF khakis, no. It'd be all navy jumpsuits and shit. And fuck, Mirai? Nigga, half the english speaking world couldn't say the word Mirai properly when it was involved in the Dyn hack, you really want Hollywood calling her "Murray"?
>>
>>15013033
G-saviour was excellent
>>
>>15013105
Pacific Rim did giant robots right.
95 percent of Hollywood is garbage, but there is a small minority who would do it justice. And speaking of minorities, I don't think Mirai's name would be a problem because pronouncing it wrong would trigger millennials.
I also think they would keep the pink and blue uniforms because they are iconic and could be sold to children / cosplay. Audiences love bright colors. Easy to identify good and bad.
RX-78 is also very 'merrica colored, therefore I don't think they would change that either. It's would be a way to srike current event politics by sheer coincidence.
Then again, I am putting best case scenario forward.
>>
File: G_Saviourposter.jpg (33KB, 332x475px) Image search: [Google]
G_Saviourposter.jpg
33KB, 332x475px
MY DEATH WAS PROOF OF MY EXISTENCE
>>
>>15013164
I bought this in 2001 or 2002 on DVD for some ungodly amount of money my folks forked over.
Even at 10 years old I knew what trash was.
Canada needs to stay away from movies. First that, then Seth Rogen. You will not be forgiven.
>>
File: T2JDWin1887-17special.jpg (64KB, 628x480px) Image search: [Google]
T2JDWin1887-17special.jpg
64KB, 628x480px
>>15012666
get my nigga James Cameron to do it.
>>
>>15012705

Who cares what ethnicity Char and Sayla are? Or anyone else for that matter. It doesn't matter what ethnicity any of the characters in 0079 are, because their ethnicity doesn't affect their character or plot in the slightest. Or their gender for that matter. Just so long as Char and Sayla have a familial relation then that's really all that matters, and it doesn't even have to be brother and sister, since they could be sister and sister or brother and brother easily.

>>15013178

G-Savior isn't even trash really. It's mostly just kind of boring.
>>
>>15012666
Rather than a movie series I think Gundam would have a better chance at being a limited live action mini-series on either on HBO, Amazon, or Netflix.

If they go the mini-series route there's the option trying to do an adaptation of an actual series but if they don't want to risk it being terrible they could also do something original set within the UC as long as it's better then G-Savior.
>>
Why is /m/ full of faggots who want to appeal to westerners and chinks?
>>
>>15012666

Gundam won't work for western audiences, because hollywood directors won't be happy with making giant robot mans fly through space shooting at each other like peter pan. It just wouldn't make for a spectacle in a hollywood format. There is a reason why basically every Gundam show uses the exact same "flying right at the camera" or "close up shot of the mech with the background zipping by behind them" fight choreography: because zoomed out shots of mobile suits fighting in space look really stupid. No Hollywood movie director is going to want to deal with those restrictions.

Giant robot mans flying in space would look silly, and hollywood's gritty realism fetish would inevitably make them ask "why does this robot built for fighting in space have legs?" They won't accept AMBAC as an answer, because the studio and the audiences both are not going to want to listen to a boring explanation like that.

Really, Macross has a better chance of doing well in live action for american audiences. The west already understands space fighters. Space fighters that can change into robots as needed (but usually fight in plane mode anyway) is a weird gimmick but one that you can sell.
>>
>>15014091
>There is a reason why basically every Gundam show uses the exact same "flying right at the camera" or "close up shot of the mech with the background zipping by behind them" fight choreography
I thought its because its just way cheaper and easier to animate a static shot of a gundum with scenery moving past in the background.
>>
Michael Bay. I mean, he already showed he hates humanity enough to be a workeable Tomino by inflicting the Transformers movies upon us.
>>
>>15014091
Of all the fucking franchises to have such a legal clusterfuck, its gotta be Macross.
>>
>>15014091
thunderbolt looked really cool and had a lot of zoomed out shots, one of the best scenes was a zoomed out shot, stop talking out of t
your ass.
>>
A Gundam movie could work, I mean, they could do the PacRim thing where they introduce the backstory in the intro as a series of newsreels and TV snippets:

>"'Occupy Munzo' Protests Continue"
>"Zabi: Make Our Colonies Great Again!"
>"BREAKING: Colony Drops, Destroys Sydney"

And so on and so forth.
>>
>>15014217
Newsreel shit is so overused and cliche in Hollywood, I'd prefer a good old opening narrator explaining what's going on, that'd allow you to show more without needing to justify how a news camera got in X location.
>>
File: end it.jpg (120KB, 959x721px) Image search: [Google]
end it.jpg
120KB, 959x721px
Not that anon, but

>>15014180
That too, but the point stands. It's hard to get a sense of kinetic action in space without doing that.

>>15014215
Thunderbolt did that by having the silly zig-zag light trails behind the MS, and that only worked due to the style of Thunderbolt. It wouldn't really work in live action.

>>15014210
If somehow Macross was freed of HG and somehow got greenlit for American audiences, they'd either have to tone the music aspect down lower than it was in Plus or go full Fire Bomber with it.

>tfw its nigh impossible to make mecha successful in the west without it losing what makes it good
>>
>>15014228
They've never bothered to justify why a news camera got in that place.
>>
>>15014229
you can have thruster trails and zig zags in cg anon. thats not an excuse. if anything using cg for the mech fights will allow them to have full control on the camera angles.
>>
>>15014228
PacRim did that too: newsreel and archive footage over narration.
>>
>>15012721
But the MCU is part of what makes Marvel comics worse. Well, the part that isn't SJW pandering anyway.
>>
>>15012666
No. Because it's Gundam
>>
>>15014244
The MCU is the LEAST pandering part of marvel right now.
>>
>>15014230
Hence why they're stupid, they're trying to be all in-universe and shit but don't make any sense.
Newsreel scenes are a lazy, generic way to introduce a setting.

>>15014091
>>15014229
A Dom moving through space at high speed with flames shooting out it's ass would like fine in live action, just don't be shit at cinematopraphy and make the same dumb generic shit as most Gundam fights or every live action space battle ever.

Go watch the first episode of unicorn for a few mecha space shots that'd look fine in live action, provided the effects weren't terrible, which they probably would be because Hollywood loves CG.
>>
File: 1427597869853.jpg (263KB, 1402x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1427597869853.jpg
263KB, 1402x1050px
>>15012666

Remember the concept art from the last time hollywood was thinking of a liveaction gundam?

Because I do
>>
>>15014282
What the fuck is that colony where is my comfy O'niell cylinder god dammit Syd
>>
>>15014282
Was anyone in hollywood serious about it? Aside from Syd making designs and trying to drum up interest to get people serious about it?
>>
>>15014304
Did Syd actually become a Gundam fan after working on Turn A?
>>
File: Iron Man Mark XLVI.png (2MB, 1920x1544px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man Mark XLVI.png
2MB, 1920x1544px
>>15014244
They aren't, really. Marvel is ruined by handing the reigns over to terrible writers like Bendis and his cavalcade of smug crybabies and mediocre artists.

And besides, the best Iron Man armors came out of the MCU.
>>
>>15014265
>>15014416
>Screwing over X-Men and Fantastic Four simply because they don't have the rights
>>
>>15012666
>gengdem flick

JJ Abrams will be perfect for this garbage tbqh
>>
>>15014319
IIRC that image with the Zaku is far older than Turn A, it's 80's or 90's.

Of course that could just be the internet blowing smoke up me ass but I think he was a fan before-from what I've heard.
>>
File: 723.jpg (33KB, 582x600px) Image search: [Google]
723.jpg
33KB, 582x600px
>>15012666

>Lens Flare in entire white base
>With Justin Bieber as Garma Zabi
>>
File: 1292790314315.png (508KB, 712x534px) Image search: [Google]
1292790314315.png
508KB, 712x534px
>>15014091
>Giant robot mans flying in space would look silly, and hollywood's gritty realism fetish would inevitably make them ask "why does this robot built for fighting in space have legs?" They won't accept AMBAC as an answer, because the studio and the audiences both are not going to want to listen to a boring explanation like that.

I disagree with this, and I'm not basing that on the LIVE MOVIE that was already done (G-Savior) with shit CGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHFFvrmCMn4

The only things they would want to change is how toyetic the Gundam are, and frankly that wouldn't be a bad things.

AMBAC ? you can explain it in 2 minutes flat. Just have a EVA instructor do this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1sr6aVzW9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmnmuTv4pGE
For added effect you have the trainer mimicking a Mobile Suit "classy pose" and the next second you show a Mobile Suit doing it (before landing inside a Colony to walk on its legs)
If your audience-test is American-retarded level you repeat "rotating without using fuel" every 20 second, to make it more militarish savvy you add "targeting-computer can't tell where you'll be going next"

btw : the incredible thing in this picture is that centrifugal gravity in this picture, if only they remembered it made a slope.
>>
>>15013580
>this is what retards actually believe
>>
また真っ赤に塗られるのか
>>
>>15015099
get out weeb, this board speaks american.
>>
I just want a colony drop in full theater HD glory.
>>
>>15015200
You'll get one in the newsreel/archive footage intro
>>
>>15014274
>Newsreel scenes are a lazy, generic way to introduce a setting.
You're gonna have one in your Gendum movie and you will like it
>>
Fuck no, I do not want to here a crappie "modern" rendition of Gallant Char.

>implying that they wouldn't make a dusted version of Gallant Char
>implying that they wouldn't make a rap version of Gallant Char
>>
>>15014228

How is a narration any less overused and cliché than newsreels? Also, if you're wondering how the camera got there, then most cities have thousands of cameras sending and storing video in remote locations. Finding footage of any big event isn't really a problem. And that's ignoring that if there's more than 5 people on site, 1 of them is recording it via phone. Possibly even live streaming it.
>>
File: 5xETuqJ.jpg (478KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
5xETuqJ.jpg
478KB, 1680x1050px
>>
>>15015233
A newsreel seems fitting with Gundam's origins in World War II and Starship Troopers (the book).

That said, there's no way to fit 0079 into a movie. The point of the series is that each fight is a small part of a long, grueling struggle for survival. A movie requires a single big battle where humanity is saved in 150 minutes or less.
>>
>>15012666
Not with current day Hollywood.
I'd rather Sunrise keep coming up with ass-pulls to wank out more Zaku kits than have that.
>>
>>15017181
>Gundam was influenced by Starship Troopers
>G-Saviour uses props from the Starship Troopers movie

P O T T E R Y
O
T
T
E
R
Y
>>
File: 1481303229368.jpg (44KB, 453x342px) Image search: [Google]
1481303229368.jpg
44KB, 453x342px
>>15017228
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.