[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LoGH thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1478430398810.jpg (481KB, 640x1430px) Image search: [Google]
1478430398810.jpg
481KB, 640x1430px
Alright boys I've passed my rite of passage and watched LoGH. It certainly lives up to its reputation as one of of not the best anime series out there. It's not my favorite show, but it's definitely up there and I would probably call it the best show I've seen.

The writing was insanely tight. I only had two gripes one: the retaking of Iserlohn by the Yang fleet felt very contrived and felt like total bullshit, the computer virus was basically magic to let them in and I find it hard to believe someone as competent as Lutz wouldn't at some point think to run a diagnostic and check the computer system of the gun that makes the base so important. This is the one time I really felt the writers wanted something to happen and couldn't come up with a good reason for it to.

My other gripe is as touching as Reinhard's death was, it felt unnecessary. Other deaths struck me in a way they felt natural but Reinhard's, whole executed fine, felt like it wasn't needed and made it almost feel like an anticlimax of sorts. Maybe that shows the level of writing that to a degree I've become loyal to Reinhard so I didn't want to accept his death either. Either way it struck me as unnecessary.

Even with those complaints i loved the show. Oberstein did nothing wrong. Yang Wenli's death shook me even more than Kircheis. Westerland was handled properly. Killing Reinhard at the battle of Urusvasi wouldn't have less the rebellion to victory but destroyed the whole galaxy. Oberstein, MEKLINGER, Yang Wenli, and Schenkopp were my favorite characters.

Now to watch the sidestories.
>>
LoGH in a nutshell
>we could either use our brains...
>...oooooor we can succumb to hubris!

Also to be fair it's not like the series doesn't pull magic asspull excuse to service Yoshiki Tanaka's needs.

I mean, Seffle particles (lol official translations). Think about it, do you really believe an aerosol explosive really exists for any purpose but to prevent problems that could easily be solved with firearms from being easily solved with firearms?
>>
>>15007955
I mean I can accept Zephyr particles being a thing. Would be boring for all fights to be decided with lasers. The virus pissed me off because it felt like they just were GIVEN their victory.

While their hubris got aggravating at times, for the most part that hubris and pride certainly fit their characters. What I credit the series is that multiple times, usually Oberstein, called them out on their stupid bullshit.
>>
>>15007975
While I haven't gotten that far myself, honestly even in real life a brain fart like that can happen. Systems security is a function of adherence to / compliance with protocol, the details of the protocols themselves, vulnerabilities of all sorts... sometimes the point of failure just lines up right. It usually never does in reality because the fine art of pwning a system is more of a drawn out con game, but sometimes people just do go full retard.

And once they go full retard, you just, I dunno, find a printer on the network and inject malware for it to run because no one expects the printer.

Also, hubris.

Really, if LoGH was written with today's context of electronics proliferation and cybersecurity, there'd be some comical amounts of shenanigans that could ensue with something like Iserlohn.
>>
>>15007874
Reinhard's death along with Yang's are to drive the point home that even the people who shape history are still people and can die in the same way everyone else does.
>>
>>15008067
That's fair but it just felt really contrived to me. Victories normally feel more earned than that but this one really didn't feel that way to me.

Also sorry of I spoiled anything for you, I managed to experience this with the only spoiler I got was about Oberstein and even that I didn't believe until the end. I was pretty much entirely unspoiled.

>>15008092
I can get that, maybe just part of me really just didn't want him to die. Perhaps I wanted the Lohengramm dynasty to go on as long as possible, so this shook me more than I realize.

I can appreciate that the candle that burns brightest also burns out the fastest.
>>
>>15008092

It also the author's way of signals the end of the era of heroes.

(not to mention it makes sense to kill of Reinhard since his sickness was a major plot device at the later parts of the series, so just "magicking" it away at the end would have been a bit cheap).

>>15007874

I also agree that Westerland was a bit swept under the rug. They could have done more with it. There's a lot of fun "what-ifs" you can play if we assume Westerland would have become public knowledge.
>>
>>15008250
>There's a lot of fun "what-ifs" you can play if we assume Westerland would have become public knowledge.
Westerland did become public knowledge in the empire. You can't hide a planet of civilians being nuked to obliteration.

I just think Oberstein and Reinhard made the right call. Kircheis as good an advisor he was was far too sentimental. As harsh as it is, 2 million sacrificed to win a war is better than prolonging a war that could end with you losing, 100x the death count, and ruining the lives for everyone else. A ruler needs to accept that he has to make sacrifices and allow the blood to be on his hands, of course Reinhard didn't realize that until much later.
>>
File: doyouremembertidi.jpg (837KB, 2051x4992px) Image search: [Google]
doyouremembertidi.jpg
837KB, 2051x4992px
Playing EVE, and the big battle today and the Citadels in general are reminding me of LOGH and Iserlohn.

Any other /m/en in attendance?
>>
File: Forceful penetration.jpg (35KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
Forceful penetration.jpg
35KB, 599x449px
>>15008468
A friend wants me to play now that it's free is it worth it just for the small ships and such you get without paying?

On topic though I watched LoGH earlier this year my first time as well and I wish I didn't put it off so long.
>>
>>15008480
Yeah, it's totally worth it. Just make sure to join one of the larger alliance's baby corporations, they'll support you and put you to use.
>>
>>15008214
The spoilers I take no issue with, I'm more interested in not accidentally mistaking the recapture for the original capture and sounding like I'm talking out of my ass consequently.

Mainly because unlike most people who get into LoGH, I've tapped out a quarter of the way into the OVA because while it was interesting, for me it wasn't "I will watch the full 110 or so episodes of the OVA, plus Gaiden episodes, so I can post Yang_being_racist.jpg while waxing philosophic with the cool crowd on the cycles of history and the value of government" interesting.

I am sorta contemplating continuing via the novels though, first one was interesting to compare with the OVA in how the two plot their courses slightly differently, but I bought that via Google survey spacebucks so it's the question of whether I slowroll the books and then feel bad for not spending actual moneydollars on them or if I spend actual moneydollars on them only to complain about how I would really rather Unbroken Arrow Yukikaze be translated instead of the merry adventures of the Lohengramm Meritocracy vs the Space Jackie Chan fleet.

But yeah, spoilers.

Yknow, history being the continuum of events that have already happened, it's kinda misleading to speak of spoilers.

Unless you really don't want to find out that Saddam Hussein did not in fact have weapons of mass destruction.
>>
>>15008882
>Mainly because unlike most people who get into LoGH, I've tapped out a quarter of the way into the OVA because while it was interesting, for me it wasn't "I will watch the full 110 or so episodes of the OVA, plus Gaiden episodes, so I can post Yang_being_racist.jpg while waxing philosophic with the cool crowd on the cycles of history and the value of government" interesting.
That's a very cynical way to look at it, friend. I watched it just because I know it's reputation and wanted to see how good it was. I think both the content, presentation, direction, animation, just everything about it was stellar (excuse the pun).
>>
>>15010390
It's mostly a factor of personal taste.

I felt at a point I wasn't watching it because I personally wanted to, or because the content lined up with my tastes, but rather because I was trying to meet some arbitrary cultural milestone as a 4channer. I don't really believe in engaging in media just for the sake of the community surrounding it.

On the other side, I know my taste well enough that the moment I get a craving for space opera I've got huge chunks of LoGH waiting for me, so it's not like I'm trying to say it's bad or anything. I mean, I did go through essentially the first season's worth of episodes and dropped it with the feeling that I was satisfied at the time with what I've seen.

Long story short maybe I'm just waiting for the right time to resume it.
>>
File: logh2.png (319KB, 432x600px) Image search: [Google]
logh2.png
319KB, 432x600px
>>
File: logh3.jpg (523KB, 1000x1512px) Image search: [Google]
logh3.jpg
523KB, 1000x1512px
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.