[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you guys like this new bayformer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12

File: 14812317673812.jpg (143KB, 507x812px) Image search: [Google]
14812317673812.jpg
143KB, 507x812px
how do you guys like this new bayformer?
>>
hahaha holy shit it actually looks worse than the toys
>>
>>15003233
>>15003235
fake.
>>
Looks like shit. Jesus.
>>
>>15003233
DeviantArt fag, plz go.
>>
>>15003233
>Fox logo
>>
>>15003235
It's fan-art based on the concept art.
And as bad as it may be, fuck no, it does not.
>>
>>15003253
yeah your fanart does look worse because it's just an ugly pile of shit too
>>
>>15003253

Yea, at least you can actually recognize the various pieces that make up the whole and see the dinosaur motif. The real one seems ashamed to have dinosaur anything near it.
>>
>>15003258
This is an +18 site.
>>
Man, I WISH the actual movie megazord would look even this good.
>>
>>
>>15003259
>>15003288
>Thought it was real and looked bad
>The actual real one is worst somehow
W-what did they do?
>>
>>15003233
I would have been fine with this. I am still not okay with what they actually went with.
>>
so someone linked to a website called http://readcomiconline.to for the MMPR comic and the website suddenly went down, where do you fags read this shit online
>>
File: MovieZord.jpg (55KB, 640x725px) Image search: [Google]
MovieZord.jpg
55KB, 640x725px
>>15006001

See for yourself.
>>
>>15006304
So, the original was a guy in a suit that looked like a robot. And this is a robot that looks like a guy in a suit....
>>
>>15003259
>The real one seems ashamed to have dinosaur anything near it.
So like the daizyujin? If it's not holding the shield(which it almost never does) there's only the feet. Muh motifs are a cancer anon, stop feeding that shit on sentai.

>>15003288
The actual one looks like shit and is better than Op's pic.
>>
>>15006311
It looks like some random alien jackass. It doesn't possess any features of it's combined parts, doesn't resemble anything of the old megazord, and honestly looks like it would be better off as a villain in the movie. It's like the guys behind the design sat around in a room and decided to make something as far from the original design as possible
>>
>>15006329
>This mech looks nothing like it's combined parts
>Oh, you mean like the original, that looks nothing like it's combined parts, except all the obvious combined parts showing through the design!
Even if your obvious bait argument has any weight, it doesn't stop the movie Zord from looking like generic alien garbage that doesn't evne attempt to elicit the original feeling of the Megazord, which is kind of the whole point of the movie.
>>
>>15006433
>except all the obvious combined parts showing through the design!
>what is reading
As I mentioned, said parts are just the feet, not even the legs, the feet. This might be news if you're into the fetish, but the body is more than just feet.
I'm not even saying the daizyujin is bad though, it's a top tier design and that's partially for that reason. I''m not saying the movie one is good either, but the reason you pointed out is not the one you mentioned, it's because it's ashamed of looking like the daizyuijn/megazord at all. Which is not even merely an issue of this specific design, but of all of this movie.
>>
>>15003233
At least post the original.
>>
>>15003233
Does it have teenagers with attitude?
>>
>>15006329
The problem with the new one isn't even the MUH MOTIFS thing, though. That's just a symptom.

The thing is, Super Sentai, and by extension Power Rangers, isn't a show that sells toys.
It's a line of toys with a show attached.

The toys come first. The SHOW is peripheral.

If you design something that looks nothing like it could possibly be a toy, then you misunderstand one of the basic fucking tenants of the design philosophies behind these shows. It's like designing a car without knowing what wheels are.
It might not look THAT terrible in the end, on its own, but it's clear the designer shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near this project to begin with.
>>
>>15007409
>All that irrelevant info
>ignoring the fact that there ARE toys of the movie megazord
>>
>>15007809
considering how shitty they look I think a lot of people will be ignoring the toys of the movie
>>
lol

Just lol
>>
>>15006329

> there's only the feet
> and the shield
> also the teeth chestplate I didn't mention
> but if you ignore the stuff that is there it doesn't have any dinosaur cues either

It isn't defined solely by it's motif, but let's not pretend it isn't there or that it's equivalent to the movie design because it objectively has more nods to the motif i.e. any.
>>
I don't know why they're trying to ride on 90s nostalgia for a dwindling group of fans instead of trying to come up with their own western teambased transforming hero action show.

The lack of creativity in Hollywood when it comes to stuff like this just baffles me.
>>
>>15008030
Because people recognize names from the 80's and 90's even if they never cared at the time. A new IP is more risk, supposedly.
>>
>>15006423
>It's like the guys behind the design sat around in a room and decided to make something as far from the original design as possible
Do they even still have the rights to the original design? It wouldn't surprise me if they attempted to make it completely unrecognizable to save money.
>>
>>15007837
> and the shield
The one that's never used?

> also the teeth chestplate I didn't mention
Yeah, I forgot that totally looks like theeth and dinosaurs are literally the only animales with theet(Now I have to go check what these things on my mouth really are). Gingaman confirmed for dino season.

>It isn't defined solely by it's motif
It doesnt show the motif at all aside from the feet.

>because it objectively has more nods to the motif i.e. any.
technically true, but completely irrelevant since it requires misinterpreting diazyujin's design like you do.

>>15008030
Because it's way harder to make an impact in pop culture with a completely new IP,specially if you are targeting anything that isnt children, so using an established IP is safer since you're guaranteed to get at least a portion of the existing fanbase AND ride on 90s nostalgia to attract casuals. Pacific Rim is probably the most sucessful recent example of something entirely new and it still isnt as sucessful as other IPs.
>>
File: Zyu3zords.jpg (185KB, 592x800px) Image search: [Google]
Zyu3zords.jpg
185KB, 592x800px
>>15008076
Shit,even if they wanted to make it look different there were literally already better designs in existence.
>>
>>15008084

It doesn't matter if it's rarely used because it still exists. and I don't know where you're pulling the idea that to be part of a motif means only things exclusive to that thing count but no, it doesn't. Dinosaurs have teeth, the chestplate obviously has that big row of teeth because of the dinosaur motif and you can see more of the dinosaur's making up Daizyujin because of the teeth. Kyoryuger's outfits all had a big row of teeth for the same reason.

Note also that I wasn't saying that the dinosaur element/motif of Daizyujin was a major part of Daizyujin only that it included those elements. Because it does. So no, it doesn't just show the motif only in the feet. And even if it did it wouldn't matter since it still includes them. The feet aren't the only or the most major part of a body, but they still exist. And those things existing is more than can be said for the movie design.
>>
>>15003233
They're getting desperate.
>>
>>15003233
I cant wait until boycotting member berries becomes a thing so Hollywood has to start coming up with original ideas.

I get that people will always be attracted to the familiar but with how 'counter culture' youth can be and how campy hipsters are today I could see rehashing childhood franchises like this could fall out of style.
>>
>>15008076
Bandai is making merchandising for this movie. It's not like this is a Robotech situation where they're fighting against the original right's owners.
>>
Ayyyyyyy lmao
>>
>>15008539
No more space burgers for you chubby.
>>
>>15008539
looks like ET and chimp offspring
>>
>>15008418
>It doesn't matter if it's rarely used because it still exists.
It's a completementary weapon but ok.

>and I don't know where you're pulling the idea that to be part of a motif means only things exclusive to that thing count but no, it doesn't.
That's kind of the point behind motifs.

>And those things existing is more than can be said for the movie design.
Technically, but there's so few there that it's worthless to say the daizyujin is better solely for that minimal reason(which is not even a good trait on its own) when there's a fuckton of reasons to say the daizyujin is better than the movie one.

>>15008481
> how campy hipsters are today I could see rehashing childhood franchises like this could fall out of style
Of course it will, so will be super hero movies and zombie shit, as it always happens. Eventually, of course.
>>
>>15008871

No, the point of a motif is to be a distinguishing characteristic, often via repetition. Having something that is unique is helpful, but not required.
>>
>>15008888
> a distinguishing characteristic
> aving something that is unique is helpful, but not required.
ok
>>
>>15009031

Do you even know what distinguish means?
>>
>>15009045
it doesnt mean doing shit others do.
>>
>>15009109

It doesn't mean unique either. It means identifiable. You don't need to only use unique elements to be identifiable.
>>
>>15009120
Either the elements or the combinations have to be unique in some way anon, that's what identifying means.
>>
>>15009125

The combination of elemets in Zyuranger and Daizyujin is unique. The elements themselves aren't, the combination is.
>>
>>15009140
Exactly, yeah.
>>
>>15009142

I don't think you got my point anon. I never said Daizyujin itself wasn't unique, only that a motif doesn't have to consist only of unique elements. Which Daizyujin doesn't. Yet it's recognisable despite it, because you distinguish it despite being made up of non-unique things.
>>
>>15009142
>I don't think you got my point anon. I never said Daizyujin itself wasn't unique, only that a motif doesn't have to consist only of unique elements.
Then the combinations of those elements IS unique. It has to be if Daizyujin is unique. That said, if some of those elements arent unique to its motif, then it's pointless to bring them as part of the motif since, as you said, they aren't.
>>
>>15009169

Uh, again, I literally never said the combination of elements wasn't unique. Do you can stop acting like I did.

And to be part of a motif something doesn't have to be unique, only to be identifiable for what it's referencing. Gokaiger's ship, swords etc aren't uniquely piratey, because pirate ships and swords aren't unique. They're still identifiable as referencing pirates because of the overall motif though. The most piratey thing about their design is the skull and crossbones in evidence, but that's not the only element of their design.
>>
>>15009197
>Gokaiger's ship, swords etc aren't uniquely piratey, because pirate ships and swords aren't unique.
They are clearly based on the way pirate ships and swords are featured in pirate stuff. Swords and ships arent pirate exclusive things, yeah, but they arent generic swords and ships.

>The most piratey thing about their design is the skull and crossbones in evidence, but that's not the only element of their design.
Tzachor pls, there's also the jacket like parts of their suits complete with lapels.
>>
>>15009213

> Swords and ships arent pirate exclusive things, yeah, but they arent generic swords and ships.

And plenty of non pirates used those styles of ships and swords.

> Tzachor pls, there's also the jacket like parts of their suits complete with lapels

Which isn't pirate exclusive.
>>
>>15009221
>And plenty of non pirates used those styles of ships and swords.
And? They're still associated with pirates.

>Which isn't pirate exclusive.
Fair point.
>>
>>15009225

They're associated with other things too. And those aren't even the only styles associated with them either, since pirates used sabers pretty heavily as well as cutlasses along with a range of different ships.
>>
>>15009221
They're specifically designed to evoke the appearance of the coats worn by sailors in the 1700s and 1800s. The swords, similarly, are designed in the style of cutlasses, which were primarily used by sailors because of their ability to hack through ropes and relatively short size making them suitable for fighting below decks. The guns are flintlock pistols, which were invented in the same timeframe and similarly were used chiefly by sailors because of their small size and water-resistant design, whereas landbound troops favored muskets. Seeing any of these things on their own immediately evokes "sailor", and seeing them all together makes the motif undeniable.
>>
>>15009239

> sailors
> sailors
> sailors
> implying there isn't a distinction between sailors and pirates
> implying there weren't several types of sailors even beyond pirates like navy, slavers, merchants etc.

All of them used flintlock, cutlasses and that cut of coat along with other things, because most of them took what they could get their hands on rather than shopping around. They weren't unique to pirates only.
>>
>>15007809
But the toys are mushy and terribly designed, not to mention, not at all faithful to the movie model (look at the transforming megazord toy versus the non-transforming toy and see where the individual zords end up as opposed to where they're "Supposed" to go)

The point is, they designed the movie figures first, with no actual intention of turning them into toys, and then designed the toys around the movie models, which is exactly the opposite of how its supposed to work.

Downplaying the toyetic nature of Power Rangers as opposed to embracing it is the biggest misstep you can make on the road to adaptation.
>>
>>15009576
>But the toys are mushy and terribly designed, not to mention, not at all faithful to the movie model (look at the transforming megazord toy versus the non-transforming toy and see where the individual zords end up as opposed to where they're "Supposed" to go)
Worse, you can barely tell what Zords make up what parts, and even that's just kinda bleh...
So you have this giant Ultraman-like dude with Zord-themed garb instead of a giant robot made out of smaller robots...

...And then the "Triceratops" and "Mastodon" Zords have too many damn legs, just what the fuck were they going for here?
>>
>>15009630
>you can barely tell what Zords make up what parts
That's a good thing though, its part of the reason many 80s-90s sentai robots, including daizyujin, are good. Now everything is too cucked by muh motifs, just check the Toqger mecha or any Zyuohger mecha that's not Zyuoh king or wild zyuoh king.
>>
File: 40965751_big_p8.jpg (418KB, 900x640px) Image search: [Google]
40965751_big_p8.jpg
418KB, 900x640px
>>15009712
You can clearly tell what parts of Daizyujin are made up of which robot. The tiger and triceratops legs are immediately obvious, and it was the first robot to have that sort of strong color asymmetry: Jet Icarus has a little, but only in two small triangles on the shoulders. Similarly you can tell right away that the arms came from the mastodon, and the chestplate is practically the entire body of the pterodactyl. Everything else must obviously be the tyrannosaurus.

I agree that a lot of the 90s designs did a much better job with interlocking the parts than most modern designs that aren't Go-Busters, certainly. I blame a good chunk of that on the limb-swapping mechanics we've had ever since Gaoranger. But no matter what the era, all of those robots use strong color differentiation to let you see what component forms what part of the robot. That's what makes it look like a combination of several machines instead of just a big blob of gray with some color splotches on it.

The only robot that approaches the movie Megazord's level of being unable to tell what parts originally came from where is TimeRobo. And even with TimeRobo it's obvious what type of component formed which part of the robot, it's just that the two sets of two parts are completely interchangeable.
>>
>>15009777
>all of those robots use strong color differentiation to let you see what component forms what part of the robot. That's what makes it look like a combination of several machines instead of just a big blob of gray with some color splotches on it.
Which is not a good thing as of itself and sometimes works against the design. GokaiOh, for example, would look so much better if it were more uniform.
>>
File: dreaming_about_sailors.jpg (16KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dreaming_about_sailors.jpg
16KB, 640x480px
>>15009251
SAILORS? WHERE CAN I FIND SOME SAILORS?
>>
>>15009712
>That's a good thing though,
No...

>>15009777
>You can clearly tell what parts of Daizyujin are made up of which robot.
EXACTLY!
I mean, even if you do Getter Robo-form things up, there should still be parts that clearly came from the comprising robots!

>>15009834
>Which is not a good thing as of itself and sometimes works against the design.
Except in this case it's become so fucking homogeneous it might as well not be a combiner in the first place!
>>
>>15003233
It looks like a more symmetrical Turn X.
>>
>>15010119
>No...
bandai pls

>Except in this case it's become so fucking homogeneous it might as well not be a combiner in the first place!
>!
first go back to facebook. And second, no, there's more merit the more uniform you can make it look.
>>
>>15006913
Their all in detention and hate authority.
>>
>>15007409
>It's a line of toys with a show attached.
>The toys come first. The SHOW is peripheral.
Really?
>>
>>15011129
>And second, no, there's more merit the more uniform you can make it look.
Then why make it a combiner at ALL?

Why not just START with the Giant Fucking Robot Man?!
>>
File: 78453.jpg (129KB, 900x980px) Image search: [Google]
78453.jpg
129KB, 900x980px
>>
File: number one.png (551KB, 1022x1094px) Image search: [Google]
number one.png
551KB, 1022x1094px
well not every mech can be Aquarion Logos Genesis
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.