[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

five star stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 12

is fss underrated as mecha?
does a decent fatima's artwork even exist?
>>
>>15003149
>is fss underrated as mecha?does a decent fatima's artwork even exist?

Fss is an anorexic's wet dream
>>
File: machi.jpg (52KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
machi.jpg
52KB, 1024x768px
>>15003149
>is fss underrated as mecha?

This doesn't make any sense. Underated as far as mecha design? Story? You'll have to clarify.

>does a decent fatima's artwork even exist?

Plenty.
>>
>>15003195
i meant official artworks
fss isn't a well known manga, i'm not saying it is obscur but for the art and story qualities, fss is still kind of underrated to me
>>
File: Syucha-Paracha.jpg (399KB, 1000x1203px) Image search: [Google]
Syucha-Paracha.jpg
399KB, 1000x1203px
>>15003208
Gears Online is outdated and using art from the late 80s and 90s, the current post 2000's Fatimas look fine.

>fss isn't a well known manga, i'm not saying it is obscur but for the art and story qualities, fss is still kind of underrated to me

People rarely ever talk about FSS because most of them haven't read it. And to be fair, it is extremely hard to get into.
>>
>>15003208
It has a larger following than you think.
>>
File: Engage1.jpg (207KB, 950x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Engage1.jpg
207KB, 950x1280px
>>15003230
>People rarely ever talk about FSS because most of them haven't read it. And to be fair, it is extremely hard to get into.

Not an excuse.

It's embarrassing how /m/ neglects one of the most iconic mecha manga out there in favor of forgettable garbage like Linebarrels and Sidonia, both of which owe a lot to FSS to begin with.
>>
Tried to watch but I couldn't stand how gay the main character was.
>>
>>15003541
>It's embarrassing how /m/ neglects one of the most iconic mecha manga out there

Yeah, because I would love for FSS to become as popular as Gundam and Nagai's stuff here and get shitposted back and forth. And there was quite a bit of FSS shitposting to begin with. Most discussions on /m/ are nothing but awful shit-flinging and memes.

>Linebarrels and Sidonia

Regardless of their quality both of them are finished and fully translated with proper anime adaptations, unlike FSS. That by default makes them easier to talk about.

Not to mention that threads about them pop up far less frequently than ones on FSS and Nagano.
>>
>>15003576
>Most discussions on /m/ are nothing but awful shit-flinging and memes.

Still not an excuse.

Being shitposted is one thing, being acknowledged is another. FSS is rarely if ever acknowledged on /m/. Anyone who has not read FSS and considers themselves some aficionado on mecha should just get a different hobby. They're embarrassing.

>Not to mention that threads about them pop up far less frequently than ones on FSS and Nagano.

And every time they do, it's the same 3 people going back and forth.
>>
>>15003541
Five Star Stories has a consistent stream of threads. Linebarrels will occasionally pop-up and Sidonia is dead.

I've got no clue as to what you're trying to argue.
>>
>>15003634
>Five Star Stories has a consistent stream of threads.

And every time they do, it's the same 3 people going back and forth.
>>
>>15003636
This thread has six posters.
>>
>>15003541
I think the mech in that picture's design is the best in the setting.
It's elegant yet also uncomplicated and tidy.
>>
>>15003613
>FSS is rarely if ever acknowledged on /m/.

I somewhat agree but at the same time, it makes sense why it isn't talked about as often. It's an incomplete manga that isn't even fully translated. And more importantly, it's a manga with no proper anime adaptation. How many mecha manga do you even know of that aren't tied to some anime? And if you do know any, how many of those does /m/ even talk about? For something made in the 80s there's remarkably more talk about FSS than almost any other 80s work here.

>Anyone who has not read FSS and considers themselves some aficionado on mecha should just get a different hobby.

I love FSS and even I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It's not easy to read.

>And every time they do, it's the same 3 people going back and forth.

There's already 7 posters in this thread, and even if that were true, there isn't much to talk about when a thread on the same thing pops up consistently once a week with no update on the source material itself.
>>
>>15003686
>I love FSS and even I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It's not easy to read.

To add to that I haven't even read Getter Robo yet, so does this disqualify me as being some sort of "mecha aficionado" as well?
>>
>>15003724
Kinda.
>>
>>15003724
The "aficionado" title hardly matters here in the first place.

Most of us post anonymously, so having any sort of title to the populace is absolutely pointless.
By the nature of this board, a good lot of the discussions often occur in relation to a single show or property, and then branch off from there. In relation to those conversations, the notion of a "mecha aficionado" is relatively pointless as the discussion is focused on the singular show or any where from one more to an entire franchise worth of shows. In that regard, the only thing relevant there would really be knowledge relevant to the discussion. Having watched Godmars isn't going to help you in a conversation where Godmars isn't even tangentially related.
>>
>>15003686
>I somewhat agree but at the same time, it makes sense why it isn't talked about as often. It's an incomplete manga that isn't even fully translated. And more importantly, it's a manga with no proper anime adaptation. How many mecha manga do you even know of that aren't tied to some anime? And if you do know any, how many of those does /m/ even talk about? For something made in the 80s there's remarkably more talk about FSS than almost any other 80s work here.

Sidonia was talked about all the time here before an anime adaptation was even announced. And other one-off 80s shows like Dougram and Vifam get more respect and better threads. FSS is not like normal stories where everything revolves around the plot and doesn't rely on new chapters for there to be something to talk about, there is still so much to talk about that no one on /m/ even bothers with. Instead we get either a shitposter thread or a Sopp thread or people arguing about Gothicmades being shit or not. That's the extent of FSS discussion. It's fucking nothing. And why? Because most people haven't read it and don't know anything about it other than what Gears or TV tropes have written.

>I love FSS and even I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It's not easy to read.

It doesn't matter if it's an easy read or not, it's a work that has more importance in mecha than half the shit talked about in this board. It's like not watching Turn A Gundam or Gunbuster.

>To add to that I haven't even read Getter Robo yet, so does this disqualify me as being some sort of "mecha aficionado" as well?

I used that phrase in a mocking manner but to answer your question, yes, you are missing out on something that is quite significant to mecha as a whole.
>>
>>15003757
>Having watched Godmars isn't going to help you in a conversation where Godmars isn't even tangentially related.

Watching Gurren Lagann and having no knowledge of Getter beforehand is a problem. Same with watching Evangelion as your first mecha anime and claiming how "original" some of its ideas are when in reality it doesn't do anything new. If you want to talk about mecha you have to be well-versed about the works in the genre. It's fine if you enjoy a certain anime it as your gateway show or whatever, but you should also understand what went behind it and its place in the mecha genre.
>>
>>15003812
The key point here is relevance.
If the argument at hand calls for that information, then, by all means, have at it. But if the argument does not call for that information, said information doesn't matter. Someone shouldn't be disparaged or barred from talking about The Sopranos just because they haven't seen The Godfather Part I or Part II or Goodfellas. They're all individual topics which people comprehend differently. People would still hold capacity for conversation and argument within their topic. At the end of the day, not even the most esoteric of esoteric conversations would ever benefit from such arbitrary elitism.
And this still goes under the assumption that all conversations have the same talking points and tread towards only an extremely limited number of conversational venues, which is laughably false. A discussion on Bound States will still go swimmingly even if a handful of the participants only have second-hand knowledge of the pomeron.
>>
>>15003892
>If the argument at hand calls for that information, then, by all means, have at it. But if the argument does not call for that information, said information doesn't matter.

That is a terrible excuse to be unknowledgeable. You don't need information solely for the sake for the argument with others, you need it so you can broaden your horizons and overall knowledge and understanding of the subject. If that helps you in arguments, great. But if a situation ever does come up where you don't know enough about what you're talking about but you keep babbling on like you you're some expert (which happens all the time on /m/), all it does is make you look dumb.
>>
>>15003900
But you aren't discussing general knowledge, you're discussing use in a conversation.
Otherwise, yeah, understanding the heritage and other such of the products you enjoy is certainly an experience worth investing in, but to classify it under any sort of ultimatum is asinine.
Interest has varying levels, and people can pursue however much information on the subject they desire, from devote knowledge to passing interest. A person should be able to pursue said knowledge to whatever degree appeases their interest. Belittling people because they did not dive through countless interviews, supplementary material, or tangential products is nothing short of shallow conceit that attempts to place regulations and absolutes on peoples' interest.

>That is a terrible excuse to be unknowledgeable

Stating that it's an excuse to be ignorant implies that information shares a flat relationship in relevance with every other piece of information available, which simply isn't true.
The analogy singles out information that is and isn't relevant in relation to a discussion. It's a state of variables, not an excuse.
>>
just trying to discuss the things you want to talk about probably would have been more effective than bitching about it
>>
>>15004001
>Belittling people because they did not dive through countless interviews, supplementary material, or tangential products is nothing short of shallow conceit that attempts to place regulations and absolutes on peoples' interest.

Reading Getter Robo and FSS, two cornerstone mecha manga, is not the same as going through "tangential products". For anyone to have any decent appreciation or understanding of mecha, those two works are a must. It's fine if you don't want to read them because they don't appeal to you, but doing that is like skipping your history classes because you don't like history. Even if you don't like it, you have to recognize it.

>Stating that it's an excuse to be ignorant implies that information shares a flat relationship in relevance with every other piece of information available, which simply isn't true.

In the context of what we're talking about, it is an excuse to be ignorant. You can throw out whatever level of sophistry you want, but that doesn't excuse it.
>>
>>15004006
A discussion about FSS requires people to have actually read it.

Sadly, that doesn't apply to 99% of Gunda/m/.
>>
>>15004058
Just for reference, some typical "high-quality" FSS threads:

http://desuarchive.org/m/thread/14978856/#14979335
http://desuarchive.org/m/thread/14916917/#14916917
http://desuarchive.org/m/thread/14933670/#14933670

Most of them are like this.
>>
File: new1.jpg (79KB, 368x600px) Image search: [Google]
new1.jpg
79KB, 368x600px
New chapter was just released in Newtype
>>
File: 5316465893_790574bf5a_b.jpg (828KB, 817x1024px) Image search: [Google]
5316465893_790574bf5a_b.jpg
828KB, 817x1024px
I Love FSS , but only for the model kits
I am working on the Black Knight right now
>>
File: img_0743.jpg (3MB, 1836x3120px) Image search: [Google]
img_0743.jpg
3MB, 1836x3120px
>>
File: download.jpg (13KB, 282x179px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13KB, 282x179px
>>
File: cobra1.jpg (94KB, 607x794px) Image search: [Google]
cobra1.jpg
94KB, 607x794px
>Output: 1.25 trillion horsepower

IRL, a commercial nuclear reactor might give you somethign form 500 MW to 2GW.

Humanity's total power consumption is around 16 TW.

1.25 trillion hp? 932 TW.
>>
>>15009105
If they consume all that power then fuckers have terrible mileage.
>>
>>15009105
They move at supersonic speeds as well as teleport, I think the energy needed for a Mortar Headd is far greater than a Mobile Suit.
>>
File: DarkBuster.gif (82KB, 532x642px) Image search: [Google]
DarkBuster.gif
82KB, 532x642px
>>
>>15009185
More, certainly, but half a billion times more may have been somewhat excessive. You get roughly one 250kt nuclear warhead detonation per second.

A bit more napkin math and I think the waste heat, assuming the given power output is the total power with no additional waste heat, would give our MH a surface temperature around 1.35 million °C, or 2.43 million °F if you so prefer.

(Not that this makes me not like FFS, I just find the absurdity amusing in itself, and Nagano is hardly the only SciFi writer to slap on some numbers without giving them much thought.)
>>
File: imgsdd_17.jpg (934KB, 1980x2640px) Image search: [Google]
imgsdd_17.jpg
934KB, 1980x2640px
When you see a gundam model all colorful , with glitter , butterfly wings ...., thats bad , really bad

but , on FSS it looks fine .
>>
>>15011302
>Nagano is hardly the only SciFi writer to slap on some numbers without giving them much thought.

Indeed, Mobile Suit power ouputs are quite ridiculously underpowered compared to what their actual power output is supposed to be. I think Nagano's excuse was that each MH had the power output of a planet or a star (like Turn A or Gunbuster), and so he made up numbers to match that.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.