[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is wrong with IBO? I keep trying to get into it, and yet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: ibo2.jpg (268KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ibo2.jpg
268KB, 1920x1080px
What is wrong with IBO? I keep trying to get into it, and yet I cannot. I simply find it to be insufferably boring compared to most other Gundam shows I've seen. This strikes me as odd since I am normally a big fan of slower character driven gundam dramas like 0080/Turn A. In theory, IBO has all the elements I normally enjoy...

1. A large cast.
2. Plenty of development for those members.
3. No recycled animation, generally solid art.
4. Fresh mechanical designs which aren't stealing heavily from the past.

And yet now I just can't get into the show. I'm forcing myself through each episode and it never holds my attention. Is it just me? What is this show missing that kept past Gundam entries interesting?

I feel like there is something very wrong with IBO, but absolutely cannot define it like I easily could with other flawed entries like SEED, or AGE or even ZZ.

What am I missing here?!
>>
(and before this descends into heavy trolling, I consider ZZ flawed but have grown to love it for what it is. SEED/Destiny/AGE had a lot more notable issues.)
>>
Do you care about the characters?
>>
I feel that the reason why IBO is boring is because of two main things.

One, almost all the characters are so damn downtrodden and melodramatic. I'm not expecting a story about child soldiers to be cheers and smiles, but it feels like IBO relies too much on "ugh look how horrible things are UGGHHHH"

Two, the stakes aren't high enough. There's not a big war, or villians that have some grand ambition. Rather, there's a lot of politics and office work.

Hopefully with the awakening of the living, laser-breather mobile armor, things will get more exciting. I just don't get IBO has all these crazy, cool super robot things (living machines, Graze Ein, giant swords, maces and scissors, demon robots), yet the narrative is so dismal and dreary, and so slow paced.
>>
>>14996272
>>14996272

Only mildly, and that could be a problem. I find Mikazuki to be yet another Heero/Setsuna type, yet he has had almost no development personally in terms of his history... though he has overcome some challenges between seasons 1-2 to get some "development".

Orga is much more interesting, but I'm not sure if he's likeable enough for me to care.

Kudelia is a peace princess trope who blends elements of all the previous ones (Relena, Mineva, Dianna, Lacus) on some level, but does not seem quite as naive as some of them. She is better developed than Marina was, thankfully.

Biscuit was relatable, but they killed him. I've yet to really care much about anyone who has gotten more focus in season 2. I like Lafter for being the fanservicey-ace pilot, but not as much of a character.

McGillis is a Char with seemingly much more noble intentions (even if he still does seek power). He's not a caricature like LaCruset nor a direct clone like Zechs, nor a walking trope like Graham in 00 season 2, so he has that going for him.

Ultimately, I can talk about the cast, but I guess I fail to care about them. Not sure why that is, but it could be a big issue.

>>14996292

The war definitely lacks scope. Fighting for economic freedom is not at all a bad concept and is actually very modern, but perhaps when we keep hearing about all these great relics from the Calamity war, yet see so little of that history... it makes the current conflict feel dull.

Plus something about the pacing just feels way off. There are more episodes without combat in this series than any other show in the franchise. That too may be an issue.
>>
>>14996266
None of the characters are interesting or do anything interesting.

IBO is basically
>We're brothers in arms
>We need to find our way in the world
>we'll team up with the mafia/whoever to gain power
>we'll deliver kudelia AKA the most BORING peace princess in all of gundam to some dude for a power play
(Marina was boring but he was barely there and didn't take up much time)
>muh human debris
>muh wanting mars kids to have a better future
>Mika is nigh unstoppable and never outright looses

The shows concepts work well enough as a whole but in the context of a gundam show, the first season was really quite dry. Turn A had good music and an interesting world to give a shit about.

I will admit that the second season is less boring, though still has the same pace as before. 2 episodes of exposition/characters and 1 episode of with action bits.
>>
Inb4 the shitposting and bashing.
>>
Because every story arc is exactly the same; condescending adults underestimate tekkadan and mika kills all of them
>>
>>14996266
people hate this show? i just started watching it and im gripped, been binging since last night.

I think that if this show was live-action, characters like Kudelia would totally make me hate this fucking show. Typical naive white liberal bitch with "I will save all the brown people" attitude, born into privilege and saves the poor masses as a feel-good hobby. she's a total feminist SJW-wank character but somehow it doesn't trigger me when it's in 2D and made by japan. somehow, it doesn't really come off that way when it comes from japan. maybe it should? weeb double-standard?
>>
File: 1231421456.png (23KB, 160x168px) Image search: [Google]
1231421456.png
23KB, 160x168px
>>14996266
>IBO
>generally solid art
>Fresh mechanical designs
>>
>>14996386
Snap and Airshits not welcome.
>>
>>14996292
>Two, the stakes aren't high enough. There's not a big war, or villians that have some grand ambition. Rather, there's a lot of politics and office work.
yes IBO painfully lack of it
>>
>>14996378
Yes you are a disgusting person who should kill himself. It's not good to have double standards.
>>
AOTY desu
>>
>>14996356
>inb4
>thread already has plenty of iron blooded anal leakage
>>
>>14996266
>What am I missing here?!

You're a masochist. You say that the show doesn't grab your attention episode after episode and yet you're willing to continue watching. That is the basic definition of a masochist. People should learn to let go if something doesn't grab their attention. You gain nothing by clinging to the show and then coming on /m/ to complain to all of us how macho you are.
>>
>>14996378
>>14996411

I dunno, I think it's fair enough. After all if produced by westerners, that kind of SJW bullshit really would be the underlying agenda, but with the non-degenerate japs running production it feels more honest.
>>
>>14996394
I'm neither of those faggots but its hysterical hearing anyone claim IBO has "solid art" when its laden with QUALITY.
>>
>>14996378
I don't think that's too awful of you. There's an additional level of disconnect with animation that live-action film or television doesn't have. You're even less inclined to treat the people as if they were real. Not that this means that it's necessarily hard to empathize or relate with them, but it smooths the edges off, in a way. Dumber shit is less annoying, when it's coming from a person who you're doubly dissociated from. It's the narrative equivalent of mood stabilizers.
>>
>>14996266
Large cast but they're all shit characters, is probably the issue
>>
>>14996266
You have ADHD
>>
>>14996266
>What is wrong with IBO?
>What am I missing here?!

There's nothing wrong with it and you're missing nothing.

Stop being a retard and accept the fact that Nothing is universal liked or hated. Difference in taste existed.

You hate it then move on. Find something else you like. Let the people that like it enjoy it.
>>
File: grekt_quality.jpg (16KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
grekt_quality.jpg
16KB, 480x270px
>>14996428
Nobody here actually praises IBO for it's animation quality, people just point out how stupid it is to judge animation based on stills from scenes with a lot of movement and whenever that image macro kid starts moaning about scenes that are just fine.

Since G-Reco aired and failed to get the audience and critical praise a lot of people wanted it to get, there's been a few fans of that show here on /m/ that have out of some kind of autistic sense of duty pretty much dedicated themselves to shitting on all gundam shows that have come out since. I've probably pointed this out over a dozen times since then and every time I point it out, they get super defensive and not once has anyone replied to my posts saying that they hate both G-Reco and the currently airing gundam show.
>>
>>14997032
>there's been a few fans of that show here on /m/ that have out of some kind of autistic sense of duty pretty much dedicated themselves to shitting on all gundam shows that have come out since.
Sure man, it's all a conspiracy.
>>
>>14997032
This.
>>
>>14997033
>conspiracy
Doesn't even deserves that word. It's just pure, concentrated autism.
>>
File: 1434326534.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1434326534.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>14997032
Its quality is shit even when it isn't limited to stills or key frames. The animation is shit and every single one of you apologists who were claiming to high heaven that the change in animation directors from season 1 to season 2 would make a difference are morons.

>G-Reco failed to get the audience
Lies.
>and critical praise
Even more blatant lies. Why even bring up G-Reco? Oh that's right, IBOfags are so insecure they have to delude themselves that there are x fandom boogeymen out to get them and their shitty show.
>>
>>14997296
Someones mad/defensive/autistic. Calm down.
>>
>>14996266
>1. A large cast.

A large cast with caricatures as characters.

>2. Plenty of development for those members.

None of the characters get any development. %99 of the characters are the same as they were in the start of the show.

>3. No recycled animation, generally solid art.

"Solid art" Not with those garbage character designs

>4. Fresh mechanical designs which aren't stealing heavily from the past.

Too bad majority of them look like illogical toys rather than war machines.
>>
>>14996266
>What am I missing here?

Plot. The first season was designed as 26 episode long Prolog. Which is why the second season has been bretty good so far.
>>
>>14997306
>post the "best animated" sequence of sakuga scenes in Season 1
>"defensive"
That would be you, my friend. I mean, if you want to stay salty over the fact the first season was largely filler, uneventual and almost disconnected arcs, with bad animation, low quality writing, textbook transparent "plot twists", and nothing going for it while you scream buzzwords at me with no rebuttal says it all.

Its a bad show.
Get over it.
>>
>>14997032
lol Why you need to bring up G-Rekt in every thread that are discussing IBOring?

Yes most of us get it you don't like G-Reco and most of /m/ will tell you to S2A/Z and tell you a faggot because you don't understand it but faggot like you that bring all the shitposter and eventually drown out the real discussion.

>G-Reco aired and failed to get the audience
No. It was aired during the night and still has higher watch count than S1 IBO who is airing in a prime time slot.

>need someone who hate both G-Reco and the currently airing gundam show.
I found G-Rek to be a meh tier gundam show but still more watchable than AGE. and it is one of the best gundam show this decade with 00S1 on top that being said it was not an achievement itself when a piece of junk need to won a beauty contest with a pile of shit.

then again IBOring is a piece of shit.
Lackluster story
Boring character
kinda awesome looking gunpla, especially Barbatos Lupus
worse animation
its GUNDAM:NOTHING HAPPENING the show.

KYS faggot
>>
>>14997495
Greco was brought up and you lost your shit. You are defensive.
>>
And now the GReco autism begins.
>>
>>14997583
Not him but ever since IBO was aired people started to use G-rekt as a way to tell them IBO is better even with its blatant flaws.
>>
>>14996266
High quality bait

Impressive
>>
>>14997032
You're that insecure that you need to call on another shitty show to defend your own shitty show?

no one has brought up G-Reco up until you do. I really hope we have a janitor soon so we can finally cleanse this faggot from this board. S2AZ faggot
>>
Im hesistant to "hate" this show since it does have a lot of good going for it along with the bad. The Mika mag dump in episode 29(?) for example was one of my favorite moments in a gundam series. Unfortunately, characters like Kudelia and the politics she brings drag the show down quite a bit. Killing off best boy Biscuit didn't help either. Then again I actually liked G-Reco for its characters' zany charm so I don't know if my opinion matters.
>>
I'm having a lot less of a problem with S2 than I did with S1. Shit generally seems to happen every episode even if it's not a fight, the exposition is a bit more dense and everyone feels a bit more tired of talking, Kudelia fucked off to an office all day, filler is being used to set up fights instead of fill time, and Mika just seeming to be done with all of it is pretty amusing.

Also Iok bullying. God I hope we get SD shorts with Iok bullying.
>>
>>14997593
Nope, people called it G-Rekt when it was still airing.

>>14997612
>>14997296
>>14997567
The fact that you get this defensive when I call out rabid fanboys of the show, not the show itself, really goes to show how right I am...
>>
>>14997732
>The fact that you get this defensive when I call out rabid fanboys of the show, not the show itself, really goes to show how right I am...

True
>>
>>14997732
No anon, You're the one being super defensive. No one I repeat no one has compare IBO to G-Reco or vice versa in this thread. No one. Most complaint by some anon are valid as in slow plot and boring character. Not once people started to use G-reco as a medium to criticize in this thread until you do.

And again, pre-launch IBO most /m/ were hyped as fuck for IBO although some criticize Barbatos design due to no waist armor but still the hype were high. up until the 3rd or 4th episode when people started to call out the flaws then IBObabies started to use the term G-Rekt to tell them their show is "not as shitty" as G-rekt.

Beside the term G-Rekt were used by Trybabies first. G-reco back then rival Try for view not IBO that's why some people getting tired of your forced rivalry.

IBO S1 are boring. get over it.
G-Rekt is meh
>>
>>14997805
still upset I see
>>
>>14996343

I think a lot of it is people want to see Tekkadan as these lovable underdogs fighting the good fight, buying into the show's victim-complex surrounding them. I've seen people say Tekkadan are real knights, they fight for Martian independence or that Mika dreams of peace so he can be a farmer. I feel the show glosses over their more negative aspects, or tries to paint them as justified due to the circumstances whereas other people see them more as unlikable thugs.
>>
>>14997878
>>14997732
You are literally retarded.
>>
>>14997805
Once again, I'm not comparing the two shows, I'm calling out the G-Reco fanboys for their autistic rage at every single post G-Reco gundam show.

The fact you can't seem to get this into your head really goes to show how autistic you and the other G-Reco fanboys on this board are. Hell, the only place I actually used "G-Rekt" was in the name of an image I posted and every time I've written the name of the show I've called it G-Reco.
>>
>>14997943
>>14997878
>>14997732
>>14997588
>>14997583
>>14997306
(You) are fooling no one here.
>>
File: shot.png (12KB, 346x161px) Image search: [Google]
shot.png
12KB, 346x161px
>>14998037
Oh really?

I know a lot of people, specially samefaggers, like to project, but come on...
>>
>>14996266
>I am normally a big fan of slower character driven gundam dramas

The issue is that IBO is not character driven. In fact it's not driven by anything. This train hasn't even left the station. The characters are static and boring and just espouse exposition. And you have retarded drama like Akihos brother coming out of nowhere.

In all fairness, I've heard better things about season 2.
>>
File: Mika Mikan.jpg (719KB, 800x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Mika Mikan.jpg
719KB, 800x1039px
tfw Mika's taken so many dicks he cant even bear children anymore
>>
>>14998251
>1 hour and 52 minutes later
>>
IBO is better than ZZ
>>
>>14997588
Seriously. We should avoid mentioning that show at all costs, no good can come of it. It always starts a spergwar that derails whatever thread it's mentioned in.
>>
>>14997943
I do think you are that autistic anon, no one mention G-reco at all but you decided to become full sperg when some anon call your favorite anime a shit
>>
IBO S1's problem is that it's season 1 of a SCIENCE FICTION show, rather than a MECHA show. So it's stuff you'd usually see in western scifi shows, trying to find the right balance between character/plot/action and stumbling around a bit, which wasn't helped by the suits telling the staff to reign in the grimderp, which probably led to the pacing skid in the middle.

If you compare IBO to Dark Matter, a 13 episode western scifi show that has seasons coming out the summer before IBO's seasons do, you see a pattern. The first season is kinda meh, with various high points, but the second season is WAY stronger, because all the setup is done and they can flesh everything out more and explore the consequences of the past season.
>>
>>14998885
Characters blandly giving exposition and larges stretches of nothing is a big issue, anon.
>>
>>14996266
I had that feeling too op. It's feels like the show wants me to hate it and yet I kept trying to like it.

Thing is, IBO has it's priorities backwards. It's pretentious to the core as if it's ashamed to be mecha. Animation should've been first priority in mecha especially because it's a commercial to sell toys but it didn't. The characters are no good either so there's nothing to fall back to in this mess. Just look at it's fanbase they can't discuss about anything other than shipping and death flags.

That said, S2 has been somewhat entertaining but mostly because S1 was garbage.

I don't get why the idiotic fanbase is so toxic and gets triggered by anyone pointing out flaws or saying they don't like it.
Almost every thread is a pissing contest with g-reco and competing about animation quality no less. Fucking age and destiny has a better chance in that department than IBO does. It just proves that they can't like it without deflection.
>>
I dont even hate greco but the people who want to talk about it, or even fucking mention it should be in a containment thread.

Literally the mention of its name triggers either its fans or haters fan the flames of shitposting to the max. Just have on thread about it and never mention it anyhwere else.

I didn't think that it was necessary early on, but any mention of it seriously destroys discussion.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.