[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people are kinda being assholes to each other, like in Zeta

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 39

File: laughingbes.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
laughingbes.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>people are kinda being assholes to each other, like in Zeta
>Buff Clan uses bipedal personal vehicles, like those whatsitcalled thingies that the Capital Guard uses in G-Reco
>a war between two sides is accidentally triggered because of the recklessness of some woman, like in Turn A Gundam
>Cosmo's dad, who was a part of the excavation of the Ideon, gets killed in the battle, just like how Tem Ray got sucked out of Side 7
>Bes literally pulls out a miniaturized beam saber and cuts the legs out from under a Gadakka
>all this in the first fucking episode

I mean, the production values for this show already look way better than 0079's (not that that's hard to accomplish), but Jesus, I think Tomino's penchant for recycling plot points is almost as great as Urobuchi's.

This is gonna be a fun series to watch.
>>
>>14996252
Its not recycling, its his aesthetic.
>>
>>14996252
>>Buff Clan uses bipedal personal vehicles, like those whatsitcalled thingies that the Capital Guard uses in G-Reco
I thought those bipedal vehicles in G-Reco were a reference to Xabungle.
>>
>>14996466
He also has them in Dunbine.
>>
Jesus Cosmo, stop being such an asshole. Yelling at a baby who's crying in a war zone?
>>
>>14996477
Images?
>>
File: pigsy.jpg (53KB, 400x393px) Image search: [Google]
pigsy.jpg
53KB, 400x393px
>>14996500
>>
>threats of physical violence against children
Yup, this is definitely a work by the Tomino I know and love.
>>
>>14996252
I really, really, really like this Bes. Mind if I save it?
>>
Okay Cosmo, I know you're in mourning because your dad is dead, but is your fuse going to be this short for the entire show? Because you're starting to enter Kamille territory now.
>>
>>14996252
I put Ideon as Tomino's best drama and Xabungle as his best comedy.
>>
>shoot laser at women and children
>it gets reflected and kills the shooter instead
A bit heavy-handed here, but is this supposed to be a special magic power, or is it something the ship did?
>>
And is this supposed to be some kind of oversight by Tomino? Assuming that the Buff Clan did not have a Japan and Shoguns in its history, was it just something that Tomino let slip, or deliberate to get the point across to an audience that pre-dated international marketing of franchises? Because even in 0079 he took the time to elaborate that Gihren didn't know who Hitler was at first due to it being ancient Earthnoid history.
>>
>>14996578
Everything gets explained eventually in Ideon.

It's not some big sci fi mystery.
>>
>>14996588
It's not really that out of place for a show in Japanese. He's using Samurai in the context of the Japanese language and it's meaning, not in the context of "a warrior from Japan"
>>
>>14996252
>This is gonna be a fun series to watch.

Ideon is Gundam 0079 without Gundam. The message is fundamentally the same "Understanding". Although the ending is a much more negative view on the issue than how it was resolved in 0079. And no, the fucking universe is not destroyed this is worth repoeating over and over again for the Eva fags.

And for the record, Zeta is a 1984 anime, Ideon is a 1980-81. So it's Zeta that copied elements from Ideon (if at all) not the contrary as your OP suggests.

Furthermore, while it's true that Ideon has better (a bit better) graphics than 0079 the fighting scenes are choreographed very statically. It's quite depressing really, it's always the 2-3 same cuts. There was more dynamism in Gundam. Even Xabungle has vastly better choreographed scenes than Ideon (maybe Tomino learned something after all).
>>
>>14996588
You're looking for stuff to nitpick here. He's using the term samurai because the Buff Clan are obviously socially organised in a way where you have military aristocrat retainers in service to high ranking elites on similar lines to Japan who hold themselves to a class-based code of honour which may seem a little strange but makes sense within their own context.
>>
>>14996480

Cosmo's inability to not be a jackass is what makes him enjoyable.
>>
>>14996557
>Kamille territory now.
Judau is actually Cosmo's reincarnation, shown when he and Amuro fight against Ideon in a non-canon sidestory.
>>
File: 1450805326750.jpg (238KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1450805326750.jpg
238KB, 960x1440px
Cosmo has no chill, that's probably his most distinct trait. Tomino has talked about how he couldn't think of a way to make him stand out at all, until Kogawa rescued.
>I believe Mr Tomonori Kogawa put forth the idea of curly hair. I remember when he said, "this is the only choice, right?" to which I nodded and replied, "that's right."
Which I imagine went like in shounens.
>It's no use, we have to use -that-
>>
>>14996588

In addition to what has already been stated about their use of the word samurai I think it's also worth pointing out that Gihren knew who Hitler was, even if he wasn't super familiar with him. He was a historical figure and no more to Gihren, probably analogous to how we think of Napoleon or something. And he knew about as much about him as most people do about Napoleon.
>>
Why does everyone here go to kiss Tomino's ass all days every days?

>>14996588
The simple reason for this is that Tomino's still a japanese so he uses japanese concept to signify something.
>>
>>14996588
In this context, just think of a feudal knight.
>>
>>14996252
>>14996466
>>14996477
>>14996516
Open cockpit bipedal walkers are not some kind of special idea. It's pretty damn common across media outside of Tomino, too.

They're in Gundam if you count the petite MSes.
>>
>>14996799
It's not as off the wall as it seems if you know the ZZ novelization, though it would be more fun and creative that way. There's a scene in the final battle where Glemy asks what Judau thinks he's even fighting for, Judau thinks it over for a minute while the battle comes to a halt, then replies that even if Glemy claims that his purpose is to fight because of his bloodline, then even the Zabis are originally from Earth, and that Earth can't be saved as long as people are concerning themselves with causes of trivial self-satisfaction like Glemy. Also that people have the potential to grasp the whole universe (Grey Stoke) and petty conflicts shouldn't be let destroy that. I haven't read Giganos, so I don't know how Hasegawa works it in that Jewdough really speaks more like the will of the Ide than the characters, let alone Cosmo.
>>
>>14997185
Tomino borrows and leans a lot on elements from sci-fi novels and concepts that he's read over the years.

It's why sometimes Mobile Suit Gundam comes off as an adaptation of Starship Troopers, because it was a big part of what inspired that world/setting.

Guy's got a giant archive of sci-fi and fantasy stuff that he loves to read. Couple it with the boom of New Age concepts and theories then you'll end up understanding a lot of how the elements in his shows came to be.
>>
>have intergalactic travel
>let babies freely wander around to drink milk directly from farm animals
I mean, I know it's Tomino, but still, Jesus.
>>
Well, this is a weird turn of events. They're going into full-on Clarke's Third Law, this might prove interesting to unravel over the course of the show.
>>
>not this shit again
Since I already know the ending of this show by reputation, how long are they going to draw this thread out?
>>
>>14998667
Since it's the core theme of the show? Idk man you tell me

And really, unless you know specifics just drop any preconceptions you have about the ending. It likely isn't anything like you imagine.
>>
Wow, what a bitch, going straight into using prisoners as hostages? Judging by her attitude I'm assuming that she's trying to prove something, but given that it's Evil Tomino I have dim expectations of her.
>>
>>14996588
It refers to the custom of Buff clan culture, which is a warrior society with a strict code of honor. Samurai is pretty much the only word that fits this context perfectly. You could also name it chivalrous feudal warrior, but i think those took it easier on the serving part and more or less did the fuck they wanted whenever they were not in a campaign.

Just look at how every Buff clan member wears white, the color of war (according to them), to symbolize they'll fuck the shit out of anyone who messes with them.
>>
>>14996578
Wow, this was already on the first episodes? I need to rewatch the whole thing again.
>>
>Cosmo goes out of his way to put up white flags without asking anybody in charge, in an attempt to fool the Buff Clan
>Buff Clan language for white flags is a declaration of all-out war
The irony is fucking delicious.
>>
Really, Tomino? Fucking really?
>>
Reminder that all of Tomino's shows are connected via reincarnation with Ideon being the first one chronologically.
>>
>>14999000
>Reminder that all of Tomino's shows are connected via reincarnation with Ideon being the first one chronologically.
>Not Zambot3
>>
>>14999024

Zambot 3 could be second place but Ideon is without a doubt the first one going by the ending.
>>
Good ol' Japanese censors in the 80s.
>>
The misunderstandings keep piling up, but I still can't bring myself to stop hating Kasha (and also Cosmo). I assume that nobody gets any better throughout the series?
>>
>>14999225
I can tell you that they stopped bothering me, but I can't remember if that's from character development or some sort of stockholm syndrome on my part.
>>
>>14999225
A certain best boy does later on while other characters get progressively worse
>>
>>14999263
Are you talking about "that" man?
>>
>>14999034
Was was the order again?
>>
>>14998834
>raise the white flag of war!
>>
Did you guys know that Ideons soundtrack is godtier
>>
>>14999448
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRv1vNvfuk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnbsolj8LSQ
>>
Is this show worth watching?
>>
>>14997326

Once you get to watch Be Invoked, think about the Legend of Ide again.
>>
>>14999625
Give it a watch.

It's a show with a slower burn than most, I should point out, but with quite a journey for the viewer culminating in one of my favorite anime films.

Don't make the mistake of skipping the TV series to watch A Contact.
>>
>>14998874

Did you forget Amuro and Sleggar cameoing in the first episode?
>>
I mean, if you insist on behaving like a kid, just running at a guy with a knife, then of course people are going to treat you like one.
>>
>disregards advice from the alien woman
>get attacked and almost destroyed by a kamikaze run as a direct result of disregarding advice
>proceed to blame alien woman for your own mistake

And here I was expecting Sheryl to at least be a moderating influence on the crew, but this is starting to look like a worse clusterfuck than Zeta.
>>
File: slappingbitches.webm (1MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
slappingbitches.webm
1MB, 960x720px
Jesus, Tomino.
>>
File: slappingbitches.webm (971KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
slappingbitches.webm
971KB, 960x720px
Looping was off, here's one that does it properly.

Anyways, it's kinda odd that the only likable characters in the show so far are either the Buff Clan dudes who are the bad guys, or the side characters with single lines that don't have enough screen time to do something autistically stupid.
>>
>>15001066
Jolliver's good
So is Karala
Idk man, you're what, 9 episodes in? You're still in the first act. Luckily the characters aren't static.

If you're anything like me, you won't even notice that you started liking them and they've matured until you just suddenly sorta realize it.
>>
Gee, it only took you guys, what, six episodes and three planets to figure that one out?
>>
File: be invoked.webm (357KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
be invoked.webm
357KB, 1440x1080px
>>14999625
Do it for Invoked
>>
File: white flag.jpg (72KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
white flag.jpg
72KB, 960x720px
>>14998834

kek em
>>
At which episode do you guys remember shit getting real? What was the episode in which they glass the planet?
>>
Also remember to stop at episode 38 before watching Be invoked.
>>
File: snapshot20080426160501.jpg (15KB, 423x317px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot20080426160501.jpg
15KB, 423x317px
>>15001645
>>
>>15001642

Episode 14 was real, it was one of the few episodes where Ideon did something new.

Episode 18 was also pretty real to me, it had the Earth Union being gigantic tightwads, in stark contrast to how they were at Brazilier, and shows us the extent of just how capable the Buff Clan were at interplanetary warfare.
>>
>>15001642
Whenever they use that black hole thing that they never use again
>>
Cosmo becomes more of a douche nozzle with each episode. He has a point in that they can't completely trust Karala, but that's only because of his complete unwillingness to compromise or think rationally.

I get the feeling that more fights like this are coming up in the future, and I also get the feeling that despite how many times Cosmo will likely get his ass handed to him, he won't get any better about it.
>>
>>14999500

Tomino anime always has the best music. Ideon is particularly great for it though.
>>
>Guhaba randomly transforms into Abadede, who died in episode 10
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>15002152
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_cGHNoKSKc

The TV show had a few generic Sunrise tunes, iirc, but they went full out on the Orchestral soundtrack for Be Invoked.
>>
>>15002152
That's thanks to goddamn Koichi Sugiyama, who went on to do the Dragon Quest soundtracks to this day. I imagine that his revisionist views clashed with Tomino's opinion of WWII, though.
>>
FInish the series, watch Contact and Be Invoked and watch Unicorn Gundam after everything. It has a nice link between these 2 animes.
>>
>>15001642
the first time Ideon actives the ideon sword is great. You know right away that the fucker is going to do some real damage when those hands start glowing
>>
Is the bluray sub finished yet? I know it was only a few episodes off a couple of months back, but that doesn't mean it's finished yet either.
>>
>>15002465
One more episode left
>>
>>15002465
One episode away from the ending.

I'm waiting for a batch before the Ideon Marathon begins.
>>
File: tumblr_mft0egBUQc1rn1o2eo1_1280.jpg (131KB, 574x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mft0egBUQc1rn1o2eo1_1280.jpg
131KB, 574x800px
>>14996557
>Okay Cosmo, I know you're in mourning because your dad is dead, but is your fuse going to be this short for the entire show?
spoilers: yes
>>
>>14998874
>Really, Tomino? Fucking really?
Just so you know, by the time Ideon first aired, Gundam had only just then started becoming popular from TV reruns. It didn't start to become the juggernaut that it is until the compilation movies were released: after the Ideon TV series had already been cancelled.
>>
>>14999225
>I assume that nobody gets any better throughout the series?
Believe it or no, they do, and by quite a bit.
>>
>>14999625
>Is this show worth watching?
It has a very slow pace, especially at first. If you can get past that, it's a fantastic show.

And none of that "fantastic for a mecha anime" bullshit, it's non-conditionally a genuinely excellent series.
>>
File: Ideon2.gif (548KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Ideon2.gif
548KB, 480x360px
>>15001642
>At which episode do you guys remember shit getting real?
I forget if it was episode 14 or 16, but it's the one where Cosmo meets his mother.

It was completely fucked up/absolutely terrifying/100% Tomino.
>>
>>15001642

Either Gije's light saber duel or when Ide activates >>15002464 is great, I think that is around episode 9 or so. I need to watch this again now that the BDs are out.

EG are doing the last episode, yes?
>>
Well, that was kinda awesome. Some sick leveraging power the Ideon's shoulder blades and arms have, being anchored only by the Zigg Mack's claw.
>>
>missing a non-resisting target that's slowly walking towards you with your entire magazine

I know that she was probably just unwilling to actually commit murder, but seriously, stupid bitch, if you're not going to follow through then don't bother trying in the first place.

This is, I assume, the start of the turning point for Karala into being finally accepted by the rest of the ship (seeing as how Sheryl was actually defending her and how Cosmo actually stopped to contemplate). I'm still expecting all sorts of retarded actions from Cosmo, Sheryl and Kasha in the foreseeable future though, the last time I got my hopes up for characters to get better in a Tomino show was Zeta, and that one only half-delivered.
>>
Been a while since I've watched Ideon, did OP make it to the most unintentionally hilarious death in the series?
>>
>>15003368
Dude if you know why the characters act don't go adding those little bitch comments at the end.
>>
>third fucking time they've discovered the tracking bug and let it go
This is starting to get irritating, have they not realized that that's how the Buff Clan has been following them?
>>
>stupidly charge ahead without backup, and get your fighter trashed and kill all of your crew
>attempt to pull your mother stand-in out from under a car, and probably directly cause her death
>blame Buff Clan
There's a reason why everybody treats you like a kid, Cosmo. Because you are a fucking kid.
>>
>>15003425
>This is starting to get irritating, have they not realized that that's how the Buff Clan has been following them?
It's a strange alien device, which is to say it's completely inconspicuous on the ship, which is another strange alien device.
>>
>>15003512
Oh, it was episode 14!

Yeah, it's a fantastic episode. Cosmo's PTSD is genuinely difficult to watch, it's amazing.
>>
>>15003675
yeah they still find roombas and air fresheners from the civilization sitting around there so they just figured it's an ancient space drink coaster somebody left out
>>
>>15002465
I'm working on it Jesus

Should be out within a week? I don't know, I already timed it and handed it off to UQ.

Also RX782 IF YOU ARE OUT THERE WE NEED TO TALK

>>15003512
If you don't like the characters, that's cool. I'm saying just in case, don't be hell bent on disliking them, they do grow.
>>
>>15002468
Are the torrents out yet? Or shall i wait until the last episode?

>First episode was released 3 years ago
>>
>>15003678
God, i seriously need to rewatch this whole thing again.

...or should i watch a contact instead?

Perhaps i'll do both.
>>
>>15003801
A contact's more of a scrapbook than a summary.
>>
>>15003784
Torrents for 1-38 are out.
>https://www.nyaa.se/?page=search&cats=0_0&filter=0&term=ideon+bd

Working on 39.
>>
>>15003697
To clarify, my dislike for the characters isn't to say that I dislike the show. I'm actually enjoying it so far. I'm only pointing the characters out because it's a large part of what made Zeta so unenjoyable for me when I watched it. I went in to Zeta expecting a masterpiece to rival 0079, and got characters like Katz and Reccoa who made me pull my hair out.

Going into Ideon with no real preconceptions or expectations, I'm trying to judge it with as little bias as possible. Although, I have to admit, being immunized to annoying characters because of Zeta and CCA, has made Cosmo, Kasha and Sheryl somewhat more tolerable. Unless things start going south real fast, they're never going to approach the levels that Reccoa, Hathaway and Quess achieved.

For the time being, I'm just enjoying the show as a space opera.
>>
>>15003675
>>15003680
Later on they find an add-on for the Ideon that they knew was their and had apparently just thought it was a component of the ship
>>
>>15004674
>I'm only pointing the characters out because it's a large part of what made Zeta so unenjoyable for me when I watched it.
>Going into Ideon with no real preconceptions or expectations, I'm trying to judge it with as little bias as possible.

All right, that's really good to hear. For the record, I wasn't trying to tell you to like the show - if you didn't, it's your prerogative.
I just wanted to make sure you didn't do that thing I see other people do, where they decide they really want to hate (and bitch about) something, and refuse to actually process the show due to wanting to stick to their preconceptions.

I can certainly get where you're coming from. I liked Kamille, but I couldn't stand most of the characters in Zeta. Hell, I can't stand Kasha (at least not until Be Invoked). And hating everyone can certainly make a show a chore GOD, HEITO IS A PILE OF SHIT. So it's good to hear you're not letting it ruin it for you.
>>
>>15001642
The one where they went to the space station and Ideon started screaming at the end.
>>
>>15003697

To be clear I wasn't trying to hassle you or giving you stick for taking too long. I completely understand that these things take time. It's nice to hear you're on the last episode, but it takes as long as it takes.
>>
Okay, what the fuck Sheryl. You can't convince Bes to endanger fellow Earthlings by traveling to major human military installations, so you decide to do so at gunpoint with a hostage? It's a wonder how nobody on the Solo Ship has been imprisoned or court-martialed.
>>
>>15003697
I'm tripping balls in a few hours, whatever it is, ask me while I'm sane.
>>
Jesus, Karala easily best girl so far. She gets taken hostage, then taken hostage again, and then accepts the role of scapegoat over Sheryl? She's got more balls than most of the rest of the cast.

Sheryl's reaction is interesting as well. Even if she purports that it's nothing personal, being sad and angry because she's indebted to Karala for taking the fall, she's still a bitch despite the necessity of it. I'm beginning to wonder if she even understands the concept of personal responsibility, or if it's just Tomino's way of writing women (though to be fair he's writing Karala pretty damn well so far).

But hey, at least Cosmo's in on it too, and all of the characters are slowly but surely developing. This will be interesting to see develop.
>>
>>15006761
It's been a while since I've watched it but I recall Ideon having a lot of Tomino's "People are mostly assholes" mode.
>>
>>15006682
Alright, check this when you're not high out of your fucking mind.

I'm nearly done with Ideon, so a batch is coming, but I can't find the NCED file in my folder, I only have an NCOP file.

Should I have one? I don't remember there being one in your MEGA folder, and I can't access the disk rips/.m2ts cause only you and shifty have access to those tmk. Thanks

>>15006799
>>15006761
>People are mostly assholes
Pretty much. A lot of the conflict in the series is just because people can't, you know, be the bigger man.
>>
>>15006887
I don't think I ever did the ED.
>>
>>15006956
Alright, hmm. Do you still have access to the source file?
>>
>>15006974
Sadly no. With the exception of /m/, I've purged myself of most EG-related things. I have my scripts still, but that's about it.
>>
>>15007034
Well then, shit. I guess there's no way to include the ED with the batch is there? Unless I could just find the disc rips somewhere, but IDK how feasible that is.
>>
>>14996252
I got to episode 4 or 5 and dropped the series out of boredom. A lot of stuff happened but the pace never changed and the show couldn't seem to pick up.
>>
Yo where's OP at
>>
>>15004674
>I went in to Zeta expecting a masterpiece to rival 0079, and got characters like Katz and Reccoa who made me pull my hair out.

But why does not liking the characters = not liking the show for you.

The character flaws are one of my favorite parts about Zeta and Ideon. It adds on to the shittyness of what the crews are going through in their respective conflicts. The whole point of these shows is to highlight the chaos of human misunderstanding and rashness.
>>
The perfect response.
>>
>>14999658
elaborate for me pls im too stupid and lazy to think
>>
>>15010765
25 episodes in? You move fast.

Also, to whom it may concern, the last episode is in fact out.
>>15012021
>>
>>15012242

>>15010765 is not OP. I was just looking at my repository of Ideon screenies. Will also check ep 39 out, thanks.

>>15011013

The Legend of Ide can end in a fairy tale ending or a BAD END that seems pretty abstract. Then there's the major figures in the legend - the princess, the monster, and the hero - all three of which have characters or mecha symbolizing them in the context of Be Invoked.
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.