[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the easiest way of getting into getter robo or mazinger?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

File: BgxzYhc.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
BgxzYhc.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
The manga seems like the most convenient way to get a basic understanding of the characters, but it seems like people appreciate the toei filler. So what is /m/'s consensus?
>>
Probably watching or reading it retard
>>
Anime-wise, Shin Mazinger and New Getter are probably the best entry points if you don't want 70s mecha anime. Although with Getter, nothing beats the actual manga.
>>
Manga is the best by far.

First two OVAs were very good and New Getter was okay. The 70's stuff I didn't like except some of the Kanada animation
>>
>>14993394
This is about Getter. For Mazinger, I've only seen Shin
>>
>>14993394
I've been watching some 70's Toei/Go Nagai stuff, like cutie honey and mazinger, but I'm really not that impressed. They seem to be the cut-and-dry monster of the week type show for the most part, very typical of 70's shows. Should I skip ahead to the manga, or would that prevent me from fully appreciating the series?
>>
File: 1080.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1080.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>14993405
70's Getter is okay but the Manga is way better. For Cutie Honey, I liked the OVAs the best and couldn't finish the 70's show. Also the manga was really short and worth reading. Mazinger idk, heard mixed opinions and haven't seen myself

Devilman manga is probably the best Go Nagai thing I've found, OVAs are good as well.
>>
So reading all of getter robo's manga is necessary? Or just everything with ken ichikawa?
>>
>>14993405
The Toei shows are independent of the Manga they are based on. They were made alongside each other
>>
>>14993405
I watched all of the Mazinger series and loved it, but that's subjective. There is an ongoing plot and continuity.

I you can't enjoy MOTW unironically, and in high quantities in Mazinger's case, you're not going to have as good of a time as you could. I loved it, but you might not.
>>
File: Yoi.png (518KB, 704x540px) Image search: [Google]
Yoi.png
518KB, 704x540px
>>14993428
The 70's Getter, Manga, and each OVA, all are separate from each other and can be watched standalone. Manga is just the best one, and the first. Also to note is parts of the 70's shows have really bad subs and it kind of killed my desire to continue with them. No problem like that with the manga or later anime.
>>
>>14993435
I'll probably like it too, but I don't want to rush through it just for the sake of finishing it. I want to watch it at my own pace to fully enjoy it, preferably after I read the manga
>>
>>14993425
Yeah, I don't think I'll miss much if I skip the anime. I'm really looking forward to watching the OVAs though
>>
>>14993451
Draw your own conclusions.
I read the manga first. It's super short, you may as well read it whenever because it has so little bearing on the series anyway. You could do it right now and be done in probably under two hours.

I don't know why you'd mention "rushing" whilst watching the series. There's no rushing or not-rushing if you just watch every episode. I mean shit, there's stuff to enjoy at pretty much every turn IMO- just a few episodes in and Koji's whipping Iron Masks with a chain from his bike.

Actually, which subs are you using? There's actual english, crabsticks, and FUCKING SUBs. Choose wisely!
>>
File: getter mazinger brofist.jpg (340KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
getter mazinger brofist.jpg
340KB, 1200x1200px
>Getter Robo

Read the manga (Getter Robo -> G -> Go -> Shin -> Arc)
Watch the OVAs (Armageddon, Shin vs Neo, New), each are very different and loosely based on the Manga, but each have their own merits

>Mazinger
Read original Go Nagai manga
Watch Mazinger Z vs Ankoku Dai-Shogun (Movie)
Watch Mazinkaiser (OVA + Movie)
Watch Shin Mazinger Z (TV)
Check out Grendizer (manga) and Mazinkaiser SKL (OVA)

That's really about it.
>>
>>14993384
Shin Mazinger and Getter Robo Armageddon. This is your best bet.
>>
>>14993695
>Read original Go Nagai manga
Bad advice.
>>
>>14993695
This
>>14993705
Slay thyself
>>
>>14993705
best advice
>>
Isn't it more questionable that the guy suggested the manga but not the original TV series? Or is that acceptable because it's supposed to be "the easy way"?
>>
>>14993384
The Mazinger Z manga is pretty fun. Not the greatest but still very enjoyable, and much better than the 70s anime. I hear Shin Mazinger is good though.

I have no experience with Getter Robo but my friend tells me that the manga is absolutely top-tier. For anime, Getter Robo Armageddon is supposed to be the closest to the manga and pretty fucking amazing, though I also hear the other OVAs are great too.
>>
>>14993784
>Getter Robo Armageddon is supposed to be the closest to the manga
In tone yes, but all of the ovas are.

Story wise Armageddon is a huge departure from the manga.
>>
>>14993789
Ah right. Do excuse me, I'm only going by what I've been told.
>>
>>14993784
>The Mazinger Z manga is pretty fun.
That's a funny way to say that it's pretty boring.
>>
>>14993890
Compared to Gundam it's pretty fun
>>
>>14993717
The original TV shows were made alongside the manga with minimal input from the creators, they are more Toei shows that bought the licensing to the IPs. No one would claim you have to watch the Toei versions unless you are a rampant shitposter. They are fun in their own right but ultimately they are just motw 70s cartoons and they do not have the merit or writing of what the original creators made or had more involvement since the latter OVA and anime either worked with the creator or tried to replicate their writing.

I say the Toei shows are really just for diehards who love the franchise so much they want to see all of it or they just really dig 70s cheese.

Also to OP, I think Armageddon is a better entry point for the series than New Getter. I recommend the manga or Armageddon first then watch the other, after that you watch Shin vs New and finish with New.
>>
>>14994025
Thanks mate. I'll probably watch toeizinger at the very end, when I appreciate the characters more. But why did you suggest that watching order for getter robo? I'm actually pretty confused of what order to watch it in while reading the manga. Yes, I have considered production order.
>>
>>14994055
First of all I recommend it because it's how I experienced Getter and it made me a massive Getterfag putting it in my top 3 series I'm incredibly autistic about, so it has to have some merit. The first thing I witnessed for Getter was Armageddon and it floored me, I watched it entirely in a single sitting and processed to watch and read all of Getter, except Toei Getter, within 2 months.

I think Armageddon is an interesting point to break in because it just immerses you in everything, is basically a huge send up to Getter and Ishikawa as a whole so it really gets you acquainted with the franchise. Armageddon doesn't hold your hand and it doesn't spoon-feed you the backstory, instead it immerses you in it immediately and there is way more showing the development rather than telling. The first three episodes are crazy, pure adrenaline followed by the rest of the show slowing down the pace and fleshing out what you experienced in the first three episodes whole simultaneously moving forward. People criticize Armageddon for "not making sense" but it does, just along with not spoon feeding you it has pacing issues with the first 3 episodes which get fixed mostly with the director change.

The manga is obviously the start and an excellent way to begin, being the "pure" Getter timelines if sorts. My only gripes with it is the first volume or so hasn't aged amazingly, deeply sorting it's age at points with how it is a bit sloppy at balancing the goofy humor with the serious parts but that was the style at the time. I think it's an excellent way to start, but I don't think it's as exciting/gripping as Armageddon. That is just for the beginning, because just like change/evolution once it really picks up steam Getter never stops.
>>
>>14994101
To finish up with the last two OVA

Shin vs New is fun, it's fast, it has some awful animation at points but really great Mecha scenes. It feels very close to being an adaptation of Go but with key differences, best experienced after reading the manga.

New is great and I often can't pick if I like it more than Armageddon or not. But the thing is, while New starts as a very faithful adaptation it goes off the rails into being it's own thing quickly and does several things very differently. To me New has a strongly different atmosphere, while Armageddon and SvN felt similar to the original in tone and like they were just parallel universes to the original or could fit into it with minor tweaks, New feels to me more like if Getter went down a fully different path. Despite it having some more direct adaptations from the manga, certain things that are core to the show are extremely different and executed differently. I'd say despite this being the must grounded OVA start that explains things better, it expects you to be more associated with Getter than the other two due to just how similar but different it is.

This is all just my opinion and ultimately it's your decision how to start. All I can say is give Getter a fair chance, you seem willing already, and you are in for a very fun series that has a lot of love and thought put into it. I hope you can enjoy it as much as I do.
>>
>>14994108
Well your explanation has really stoked my enthusiasm for the series. It all started with me getting into soul/super robot chogokins. I avoided the classic robots, thinking they were doofy looking, but after looking at them enough I really fell in love. Also, being a /m/ fag, I've heard great things about the classic 70's robots. But my passion really ignited when I bought the sentinel getter last week, opting for getter 1 instead of the "traditionally cool" black getter. That was when I knew I couldn't put off watching the show much longer. Thank you for all your help anons.
>>
>>14993627
Which subs would you reccomend?
>>
>>14994173
>opting for getter 1 instead of the "traditionally cool" black getter
Both are great, you will gain more appreciation for the great edgelord that is Black Getter once you see Armageddon. Getter has great designs in spades, I only dislike 2 Getter designs and one gets largely fixed in SvN. I think you will have a lot of fun, Getter is very fun and action packed but also goes deep into questions about morality, ethics, and asks a lot of philosophical questions about change/progress.

I'm glad I've helped inspire this change in you. Have fun, friend.

>>14994285
The English ones, then I'd say crabstick till they run out since I think proper subs only go to episode 30 and it's spotty at that. Avoid FUCKING SUBS.
>>
>>14994301
Thanks alot anon. Give me a week, and I'll probably be as autistic about getter as you are.
>>
File: 1477169425740.jpg (132KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1477169425740.jpg
132KB, 1440x1080px
>>14994312
>Give me a week, and I'll probably be as autistic about getter as you are
Thats a pretty bold claim, let's see if you have the will to pilot a Getter
>>
>>14993384
When it comes to Dynamic Pro, it's like this
READ THE FUCKING MANGA
>>
Finished the Mazinger manga. Not sure what to think about it. I suppose I didn't like it very much.
>>
>>14994816
pleb status: confirmed
>>
>>14993428
I know most people think Go Nagai's art when they think Getter Robo but I have a soft spot for Ishikawa's artwork. Also, reading the original Getter Robo manga (at least the fan translations) is jarring since they skip between Ishikawa and Nagai.
>>
>>14994877
This amount of wrong in your post is astounding. What you're referring to is Getter Robo Saga, the official compilation of the canon Getter Robo manga series. The art shifts are chapters that were made 25+ years after the original Getter stories. The 70s series and later series are all drawn by Ishikawa. Not Nagai. Nagai has nothing to do with the Getter Robo manga.
>>
File: smug_hayato.gif (116KB, 478x396px) Image search: [Google]
smug_hayato.gif
116KB, 478x396px
>>14994327
Faggots aren't mean to be chosen by Getter rays
>>
>>14994873
Fuck off
>>
>>14993384
By being a Pablo
>>
File: BnvBMHr.jpg (589KB, 1521x1512px) Image search: [Google]
BnvBMHr.jpg
589KB, 1521x1512px
>>14993384
You can go in any order for the OVAs

but for the manga
>>
70's anime > manga
In the case of both Getter Robo and Mazinger. Also, the post 70's Getter manga isn't worth reading.
>>
>>14995759
>'s
get smart
>>
>>14993384
The original Getter Robo manga is ok. Go is the only one I truly care about. All Mazinger manga are shit, check out the Toei anime or Shin Mazinger.
>>
>>14994816
Well I'm OP and I quite enjoyed it. Although being a breakthrough work of its time, it was really nothing too stellar when you read it now. Yet, I was expecting a light-hearted camp fest with a touch of Go Nagai, so I'm not exactly disappointed. It didn't take long to read, and it was entertaining while it lasted. I only wished that boss borot or Diana A got proper introductions.
>>
>>14995952
>Although being a breakthrough work of its time,
It was not the first of its kind, not even close. The popularity was mostly because it was tied with the hit Toei anime. Some delusional anon tried to push it as a best seller once, without considering how Jump didn't used to sell nearly as much as it does today back in the early 70s. It was behind both Sunday and Magazine.
>>
>>14994816
Read Great Mazinger
>>
>>14994301
What are you saying? The English DVD subs cover every episode of the series.
>>
Mazinger manga is good while it's in Jump. It got bad once Nagai made the switch to TV Magazine which he admits himself to Anno that it wasn't stellar.

But Great Mazinger and Grendizer aren't bad. Even Ishikawa did a chapter in the Geendizer one.
>>
>>14996067
Mazinger was a best seller for Jump but it wasn't nearly as popular as Nagai's Harenchi Gakuen which was also in Jump and was the number 1 Jump best seller.
>>
>>14996067
Of course Jump was nowhere as popular. It was just made and Nagai was among the first artists to join this magazine.
>>
>>14996067
My apologies, I was basing this statement mainly on how many people called it the first "standard" japanese mecha, more in line with what we see today.
>>
File: CUTE.jpg (146KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
CUTE.jpg
146KB, 800x600px
Ryouma is cute. Cute!

For those who've already read/watched in this thead: what are your favorite forms of each getter?
1. A hard choice, but I'll got with the original. Dragon is the only getter 1 I didn't really like; I'm neutral on it.
2. Kirik. 2's kinda the opposite of 1 for me, and Kirik's it the only 2 I've really liked
3. I'd say this one's a tie between the original and New getter 3. I also really like both versions of neo/go 3.
>>
File: ep1065588.jpg (310KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
ep1065588.jpg
310KB, 1440x810px
>>14996067
>Some delusional anon tried to push it as a best seller once
Jump best seller, and for Jump, it was a best seller along with Harenchi Gakuen.
>>
>>14994877
>>14993717
Where the fuck are you people coming from?? Shut the fuck up & lurk moar if you aren't knowledgeable
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIPIzB4AekA
>>
>>14994877
Getter Robo is fully Ishikawa. There's not a single Nagai drawing in there.

The artstyle changes is because Ishikawa added new pages for the Saga edition (and at this point he had a completely new artstyle) chiefly edited by our friend Kazuki Nakashima over at Trigger.
>>
>>14996524
1: Classic Getter. Runner up: Upgraded Go.
2: Shin-2 is perfection. Runner up: Kirik.
3: Khan, though it needed more page time. Runner up: Poseidon.

When it comes to judging the Getter based on all 3 forms together, I'd say my personal ranking goes like this
Shin Gette r= Getter Robo > Getter Arc > Getter Dragon = Getter Go
>>
>>14996543
So according to this video, Mazinger Z was ranked #2 in Shonen Jump after Jump had already become the best selling manga magazine in Japan.

>>14996067 BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>14996454
>But Great Mazinger and Grendizer aren't bad
Yeah, they aren't bad. They're terrible.
>>
>>14996543
>>14996574
I can also edit a video and put on youtube. Where's the actual source? Where's the actual numbers? I don't see any.
>>
>>14996448
Huh, could have sworn there were missing episodes of subs. My mistake.

>>14996524
Getter 1: if Black Getter counts then that, otherwise it's a tie between Shin and New

Getter 2: probably New or G

Getter 3: easily New Getter 3, I think that perfectly combined every Getter 3 into one perfect design.

Man New Getter really polished a lot of designs to perfection in my opinion
>>
>>14996643
just like your mom, pablo
>>
>>14995759
hello juan
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.