[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultraman & kamen rider thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 14

File: Ultraman_Great_about_to_fly_off.jpg (49KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Ultraman_Great_about_to_fly_off.jpg
49KB, 600x450px
Why didn't these two big toku shows become popular in the west and developed into long running and popular western adaptation like the sentai became power ranger ?
Is not like they didn't try it,
we have got ultraman G and Power, and we also had kamen rider dragon knight,
Why didn't they made more ?
>>
>>14978644
They didn´t make more because they didn´t become popular.
For Kamen Rider it´s easy to get, Masked Rider came out in the shadow of Power Rangers, and had none of the charm or the effort put into it. Dragon Knight failed to appeal to the group of people it tried to(not to mention that as time passes it becomes harder to break into western pop culture).
Power Rangers itself had it hard at first, Saban had been trying for almost a decade to bring it to the West before he managed to make MMPR.
As for Ultraman I don´t know, but I guess the lack of popularity of the old entries set a bad precedent, which is why Saban had so many problems to bring sentai and rider. As for why Ultraman itself didn´t catch on, I guess people didn´t like it as much.
>>
>>14978644
The initial attempt in the 90s was really fucking bad. Masked Rider is one of the absolute worst disasters to ever come from saban butchering a dub, seriously they took Kamen Rider Black and added Alf. They made further attempts about a decade or two later but just kept trying to copy power rangers due to their success, even though only select power ranger series were successes.

As for Ultraman I only loosely remember the dub, and I remember it did is own thing and actually not being bad just a little campy. The thing is there were two problems with it: one it was so campy most kids couldn't get into it two the time slot.

I remember really liking it when it aired back when I was like 8-9 years old, but I was a little weirdo who only had local television and grew up watching 60s-70s sitcoms (my favorite noncartoon show as a child was Sanford and Son). The camp factor since it was dubbed like an old Godzilla dub was really off-putting for most children, also I remember a lot of Tiga gets dark and they left that in making it alienate kids more. You combine this with the fact that, in the states at least, it aired on foxbox... at 6:30-7:00 on Sunday mornings. Most kids either were asleep or getting ready for church at the time, and if you woke up early enough to watch ALL shows like I did you would have to sit through Tokyo Mew Mew, Winx Club, Bratz, and the Cramp Twins before more popular shows like Ultimate Muscle, Sonic X, Kirby, or TMNT came on. I liked the show but hated what came on for 1-2 hours after so often I ended up sleeping in till those shows came on because i didn't want to watch certain shows.

To my knowledge that was the most accessible dub of Ultraman for most of the USA. This is why when people ask me why Ultraman didn't work in the US I say "the cramp twins."
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>14978671
>Masked Rider came out in the shadow of Power Rangers, and had none of the charm or the effort put into it.
You are severely understating how awful Masked Rider was
>>
Power Rangers was the first, and because it was the first it had the most time and effort put into making it good. Riding off the coattails of Power Rangers success Saban quickly released several new toku (Masked Rider, BBBB, VR Troopers) shows in an effort to saturate the market for maximum profitability, assuming that since these shows followed the same formula as Power Rangers they would be met with the same success. In actuality these shows were failures because of the lack of effort that was put into making them, they were seen as rip-offs and generally inferior to to MMPR, thus cementing Power Rangers into western pop culture while at the same time ensuring that it will be the only Toku show to find mainstream western success.
>>
>>14978769
Well, post was about why it didnt catch on, rather as to why that specific show is shit.

>>14978704
>Masked Rider is one of the absolute worst disasters to ever come from saban butchering a dub
That´d require for it to be a dub in the first place though.

>>14979023
To be fair, those other shows had the handicap of not being the "first" like PR was. Digimon still has the stygma of being a pokémon copy.

But yeah, not even attempting to do a coherent show didn´t help either.
>>
File: images (14).jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images (14).jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>>14979144
>Well, post was about why it didnt catch on, rather as to why that specific show is shit.
The level of how shit that show was played a big part in how poorly it was received. I watched this show as a child and I distinctly remember nobody knowing what it was. I didn't meet anyone who watched this show online until a few years ago when it was brought up when discussing Toku on /a/.

>That´d require for it to be a dub in the first place though.
True, the only thing I can refer to it as is an abortion or a butchering of its source material.
>>
>>14979230
>have elementary school friend on facebook
>dont really talk to the guy
>PMs me once to ask me about something he remembered from his childhood but didnt remember the name of
>starts describing Masked Rider(or what he remembers)
>couldnt think of any anime like that
>took me a while to get he was talking about Masked Rider because I couldnt even conceive anyone else knew it was a thing
>>
>>14979270
Those of us who watched it on Fox Kids are a rare breed my friend. We must huddle together and be the ones who tell future generations of Ferbus and how he was a stupid asshole that messed everything up. This is our cross to bear, this is our duty.
>>
File: vr_troopers_what_didnt_work_.png (433KB, 620x476px) Image search: [Google]
vr_troopers_what_didnt_work_.png
433KB, 620x476px
>>14978644
Masked Rider killed all original riders in US.
VR Troopers killed all original metal heroes in US.

The logic is simple, anon.
>>
File: beetleborgs.png (524KB, 620x421px) Image search: [Google]
beetleborgs.png
524KB, 620x421px
>>14979558
>VR Troopers killed all original metal heroes in US.

wrong
>>
Well Ultraman and Tsuburaya Productions have been fighting Chaiyo, who claims they made and own Ultraman. Tsuburaya Productions wants to show Ultraman to the West, but Chaiyo keeps sueing them every time they attempt to.
>>
File: infpicmain.jpg (38KB, 491x313px) Image search: [Google]
infpicmain.jpg
38KB, 491x313px
G and Power are actually pretty good despite the bad fighting sence. I remember both shows had more mature story compare to other western toku adoption at that time
>>
File: 1479567989874.gif (263KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1479567989874.gif
263KB, 848x480px
>>14979874
If you want to fuck her beetleborg form is that still pedophilia?
>>
>>14980317
No, that would be tokuphilia. which a real /m/an should have.
>>
>>14978644
>we have got ultraman G and Power
And Superhuman Samurai Cyber Squad.

Also a couple Ultra shows got straight up dubbed and broadcast.
>>
>>14980355
>Also a couple Ultra shows got straight up dubbed and broadcast.
yeah back in the day Ultraman and Seven got released more or less. Seven was a gag dub mostly like Dynaman, but it ran on TNT in the 90s too
>>
I AM AMAZON
>>
File: 1475812521679.jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475812521679.jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
>>14980718
Oh yeah, Amazons is coming to the west.
I'm curious where that will go considering the current amount of super hero TV shows.
>>
>>14980735
i was makin a dank meme reference to masked rider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r67jBFQXJ7E

though i have heard good things about amazons from a few friends, i'd bet it'll at least do alright
haven't gotten around to it myself
>>
>>14980745
Just when what I've seen about this show is already cheesy, it just gets cheesier
>>
File: Specialman.png (374KB, 522x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Specialman.png
374KB, 522x1078px
>>14978644
>implying Ultraman hasn't been burgered before
>>
>>14978644
>Why didn't these two big toku shows become popular in the west
We get a large amount of Ultraman shows officially subbed compared to many /m/ franchises Toku or not. You have nothing to bitch about.
Now Kamen Rider, thats 100℅ Sabans fault.
>>
VR Troopers were every bit as good as Power Rangers it was only Masked Rider that kids disliked
If you disagree, go back and watch how shit MMPR is and come back and apologize.
Beetleborgs was straight up better than Power Rangers
>>
>>14978704
>As for Ultraman I only loosely remember the dub
you mean this one with the kickass OP?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLaL6KLTKAA
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
>>14981182
>Beetleborgs was straight up better than Power Rangers
As a kid, yes, absolutely, probably my favorite show growing up. As an adult, the experience of watching it is like pic related.
>>
The original Ultraman and Ultra Seven were both brought over decades ago by Ted Turner and surprisingly, treated with a level of respect (changed character names though). They just never became particularly popular.

Tiga came over but was given a gag dub.
>>
>>14981401
>was given a gag dub.
Is that what we're calling dubs for children's shows now?
>>
>>14981417

well when it's intentionally jokey at the cost of scrapping the original plot, yes.
>>
>>14981387
Well of course. My point is, even dumbass kids could tell Masked Rider was bad
>>
>>14981428
>At the cost of the original plot
Fair enough. If you had excluded that bit then Yu Yu Hakusho would prove you wrong.
>>
Robocop is the Kamen Rider of the west.
>>
>>14981601
Ouch, the Robocop franchise has not been treated well
>>
>Masked Rider killed Kamen Rider in the west

No, Toei simply stopped doin KR shows after RX, so Saban couldnt use any new footage for more Masked Rider shows.
>>
>>14982708
Same thing happened to Beetleborgs, with the only difference that Kabutack looked way too different to justify cribbing footage and suits from it to keep the show going (not to mention Robotack being about a DOG, rather than a beetle).
>>
>>14981574

YYH "punching up" the dialog is not the same thing. It's in no way meant to be take as a joke, and it's primarily the same script. The wording used it just far less dry than in Japanese.
>>
>>14979558
I liked VR Troopers.

>>14979874
Sucked hard.
>>
>>14980355
I distinctly remember watching dubbed Tiga as a kid on my local fox on Saturday mornings
>>
>>14981997
Neither has Rider
>>
>>14983191
Obviously, at this point Ishinomori must have spun so fast in his grave that he turned into Rider One.

>>14983086
Wouldn't you know it, 4Kids dubbed that. If it weren't for Funimation somehow managing to release the whole show uncut on DVD, it wouldn't have had subs for years.
>>
>>14979874
>wrong
Thanks for the cancer (again).
>>
File: Evil_Tiga_ready_to_beam.png (315KB, 380x558px) Image search: [Google]
Evil_Tiga_ready_to_beam.png
315KB, 380x558px
>>14981401
I had never watch the English dub of Tiga, how did they handle serious moment and episode like these ?
https://youtu.be/0f3_dL6GjAE
https://youtu.be/V8HAW5UIsC0
https://youtu.be/fFxwnSvRHAc
https://youtu.be/g2L3NNyekvs
>>
File: Tiga Aesthetic Splash 2.png (437KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Tiga Aesthetic Splash 2.png
437KB, 640x480px
>>14983507
>how did they handle serious moment and episode like these ?

According to the wiki ( http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Ultraman_Tiga_(series)#4Kids_Adaptation ):
>Of the 52 Episodes of Ultraman Tiga, only 25 episodes were released dubbed and the series quietly ended its run on the FoxBox with little success. Villains such as Irudo and Evil Tiga never had a chance to appear despite being shown previously in advertisements, indicating that the entire series (or at least significantly more,) was intended to be brought over.
>>
>>14981029
Looks like a Kinnikuman character if Yudetamago kept the plot as Suguru being an in-universe ugly cousin to the Ultras.
>>
>>14986606
>Looks like a Kinnikuman character
it is
>>
File: 1477066634817.jpg (103KB, 739x575px) Image search: [Google]
1477066634817.jpg
103KB, 739x575px
>>
>>14983507
>I had never watch the English dub of Tiga, how did they handle serious momen

Basically, anything even approaching drama or consequence gets turned into a dopey joke. There is a place in the world for gag dubs, but it's a bad fit for Tiga.

The TNT Ultraseven (Ultra-7) has gag elements in it (episode titles include :Shrubs From Space" and "Wayne, Lord of the Universe") but for the most part treat the premise and characters seriously. The biggest strike against it is the awful synthesizer music used throughout. Occasionally they used the original music. You could probably make a list of 10-20 episodes that are largely faithful to the original.
>>
>>14987737
>There is a place in the world for gag dubs, but it's a bad fit for Tiga.
Sadly, that never stopped 4Kids. They were a relic, in an era where faithful dubs became more commonplace. They even added dialogue to an originally silent scene, in the episode where Tiga fought human-sized crow aliens.

The closest they got to being faithful to the spirit of a show was Kinnikuman Nisei, and even then they apparently still got it wrong. At least their voice actors went on to do other and better things (especially Mike Pollock, who had to be subjected to the most hilarious miscast in history as MEAT).
>>
>>14987737
>but for the most part treat the premise and characters seriousl
yeah the jokes in the Seven script are a lot more understated, like an alien will announce how he's going to melt the Earth in ten minutes and one of the humans exclaims "I hate it when that happens!" or stuff like that
>>
File: 1477483988967.jpg (301KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1477483988967.jpg
301KB, 1920x1080px
>>
on the subject of goofy Ultra dubs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNlDNSgPQmY
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.