[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Original Gundam TV vs Movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: gundamkick.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gundamkick.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
So what's the general consensus on the original Gundam TV series vs. the movie trilogy? Which is the superior work?
>>
The TV series. The narrative was designed as 39 self-contained episodes which form into a big picture.
>>
Zetafags prefer the movies because they remove many interesting parts of the show and turn it into a boring generic space opera with bad pacing.
>>
They're both good and you should watch both.
>>
>>14968314
as somebody said on here years ago.

the movie is good, but its not a sub for the original series.

in less nice words, the post also said "stop pretending to enjoy gundam and start actually enjoying gundam" in regard to an anon that admited to never watching the original and only seeing the movie.
>>
The only correct answer is both.
>>
watched both

movies are better
>>
movies but watch both
>>
Movies. If you value your time and don't want it to be wasted.
>>
>>14968321
>The TV series. The narrative was designed as 39 self-contained episodes which form into a big picture.

What bullshit. The tv series was cut fucking short because it had bad ratings. The narrative was half assed and the core concept wasn't even introduced until the the very last couple of episodes. Furthermore as a tv series it has a lot of bad animation (even for its time) and fillers everywhere.

The films corrected all that. The only reason to watch the tv series is to get peer approval "I'm a mecha fan and nobody will call me a Gundam fan unless I watch the original tv series". Call it a rite of passage. A stupid rite but most /m/-tards will abide by it. Intelligent mecha fans know the difference between shit and gold. Nobody watches shit voluntarily.
>>
tv series
>>
File: smug.png (547KB, 635x640px) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
547KB, 635x640px
>>14968409
Youre sure ass blasted over this anon-kun
>>
File: amuro.jpg (77KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
amuro.jpg
77KB, 960x720px
I got PTSD from it like Amuro
>>
The Japanese prefer the movies, wapanese americans prefer the cancelled tv show for reasons I will never understand, especially when it comes to recommending to to newbies. Its almost like they want you to hate Gundam
>>
I say TV.

>>14968409
Are you upset?
>>
/m/ prefers the TV series. /m/ also likes Captain Earth, G-Reco, ToQger and Kamen Rider Ghost.
>>
>>14968703
>The people who disagree with Japan are wapanese
?
>>
>>14968839
>/m/ liking something
>>
File: sweaty amuro.png (134KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
sweaty amuro.png
134KB, 299x299px
>>14968314

You can't go wrong with either, but when it comes to watching the movie versus the show it really depends on how much you like old anime shows.

Personally, I prefer the movies and I usually recommend it over watching the show for anybody trying to get into Gundam UC. The show has a lot more filler episodes and a typical villain-of-the-week format and it becomes painfully obvious what moments were put in an episode just to sell more toys. If you like that sort of stuff (many people do), then watch the TV show. The movies cut much of that extra fat out and in my opinion the end product is a leaner, more focused version of 0079 and truer to Tomino's original vision for the story without the toy makers hounding him.

The movies are also much less demanding of time and if you really enjoyed the movies and want more you can always just go watch the TV show.
>>
>TV Show: Gyan
>Movies: no Gyan

This isn't hard.
>>
>>14968314
>superior work
The series, obviously. The movies cut out over half the story and the only people who think that's a good idea are the ones who only watched the movies. There is no "mobile armor of the week", 90% of the "salt episode" is in the movies anyway (and only about two minutes total out of the whole episode even refer to salt), and there really weren't any actual filler episodes except maybe Doan's Island.

You should watch the third movie, though, for the expanded battle of A Baoa Qu, but only after watching the series proper.
>>
>>14968314
Oldfags know the movies are the real way to watch Gundams. Newfags try to pretend the TV series is better to trick people into watching it.
>>
>>14969514

People actually interested in knowing and discussing the series watches both so they have a comprehensive understanding of it.
>>
File: both[1].png (88KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
both[1].png
88KB, 260x260px
>>14968314
Here's the simple solution.
Watch the show first, then the movies.
>>
Although I saw the movies first, the series was more fun, IMO.
>>
>>14968314
The general consensus is that the TV series is trash and the Movies are worth watching.

Tomino made it so that the movies were the proper way to experience 0079, the tv series is not even canon anymore.
>>
>>14968314

Movie 1 lacks some important world building but is mostly good.

Movie 2 fucks up important plot points but has the advantage of taking out some goofy toy-commercial shit that was going on.

Movie 3 improves on the last arc thematically by cutting out some of the fat and expanding the final battle, which is legendary. Though certain arcs are better in the TV series than how they were treated in the movie.

The movies fix the animation and art mistakes in the TV series, but also cuts out important character development and world building.

You should watch both, but your bare minimum for watching the movies over the show is watching Movie 1, picking up the episodes between it and movie 3, and then watching movie 3.
>>
>>14969490

I agree with this. The movie tells the main story much better than the TV series does, and not just because it removes most of the MotWs and filler.

The TV series has some extra characterization, but I don't think it's worth the filler, MotWs, and having to groan at the G-Armor be a complete waste of time.
>>
They are literally just as good as each other but newbies should watch the movies because they're shorter and more polished.

Fans should watch both because for every thing that's better in the movies there's something cool they removed from the series.

Autists who sperg out because some people would rather watch the movies should fuck off as well.
>>
>>14968839
>/m/ prefers the TV series. /m/ also likes Captain Earth, G-Reco, ToQger and Kamen Rider Ghost.

In other words no one sane of mind can ask /m/ an advice about mecha.
>>
File: advanced mecha tactics.gif (1MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
advanced mecha tactics.gif
1MB, 640x480px
>>14968409
>missing out on this

Sucks to be a millenial with a short attention span.
>>
File: 1479434641720.jpg (186KB, 801x837px) Image search: [Google]
1479434641720.jpg
186KB, 801x837px
>>14969618
>but I don't think it's worth the filler

How can it be filler if its an original work

>MotWs

Let me guess, you also recommend the Zeta movies over the series?

>and having to groan at the G-Armor be a complete waste of time.

pic related
>>
>>14968839

That's because /m/ likes to be contrarian because they hate what normies like simply because the normies enjoy it.

See: /m/'s hate of FMP! and Eva.
>>
Been making my way through UC and finished ZZ last night. So I was gonna watch all the movies as a refresh before going into CCA. Mind you, I watch what I can in English, and the dub for the 0079 movies is just gross. Gundam? Nah, we say Gundamn now. Bright? He's a British dude now. Got maybe 20 minutes into the first one before I called it quits.

So, if you watch in English, I'd say avoid the movies.
>>
>>14972042
The movie dub is great if you go in knowing what you're in for. I watched it with /m/ a few years back and it was fun as hell.

If you want a serious summary, yeah, maybe not so much.
>>
>>14972070
Yeah, anything is fun when watched with a group, because it just turns into an episode of MST3K.
>>
>>14972157
I want to watch it with friends

Too bad all my friends are idiots with short attention spans that lose interest the second there aren't any action scenes
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.