[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mecha Anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

File: XEvBrnE.jpg (328KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
XEvBrnE.jpg
328KB, 1600x1000px
First of all i'm going to say i'm not trying to diss anyone in case some faggot gets pissy

I'm fairly new to mecha(not really since I've watched a lot of anime before but i've been actively searching and watching mecha anime for the last year or so) and honestly I'm kinda starting to lose hope here.
>>
Continued here because it was too long for the OP

See I had never watched Gundam before and being the biggest thing I decided it was a good start to watch UC and all that, honestly I was disappointed.

I watched 0079 all the way to CCA. Then I watched 0080, 83 and Unicorn. Being completely honest here the only one of these I can call good is 0080, while 83 and Unicorn have amazing visuals I just can't say they're good because of that and while I don't think Zeta is terrible I think it's decent at best. So yeah I stopped watching Gundam after that.

Then I procceeded to watch other anime, Valvrave and Cross Ange are known for being bad but I figured
>why not, if gundam is "good" and this is "bad" then my tastes might be different
But no they were actually pretty bad, albeit Ange was fun in a way.

I decided Gurren Lagann, long story short it was trash. I saw what they were trying to do but I have to say that no, it doesn't even come close to Getter or older anime that I thought were pretty good for their age and what they aim for.

Break Blade was actually really good, Patlabor the same and while I don't know if it's exactly mecha I liked Tekkaman, Casshern, Karas, Yamato and LOGH
>>
Well my point being, I watched a lot of stuff and while I liked some I disliked majority of them:

Now this might sound stupid but I think the problem I have is that Mecha anime focus TOO MUCH on Mecha, now I think that while robots are cool you can't really enjoy a series that has them if you don't care about the characters, the robots don't have personalities(well some do), the robots are just weapons.

Gundam has a lot of characters that die, but how am I supposed to care about them when they're not developed since the series only focus on Amuro bitching or Char(who I thought was only good in Zeta, not being a fucking retard all the time) being a cool guy.

So to finish, are all mecha anime like this? Like I said mecha are a weapon and maybe because i'm not really a /k/ guy I don't get a boner over seeing them do impressive stuff if I don't give a shit about the characters using said weapon, for example the reason I liked 0080 was because it had well written and developed characters for a short series, it had a clear storyline and it had MEANINGFUL fights, at least 1 per episode(except 2 of them I think).

Maybe I got the genre wrong and it actually is all about the robots since they just want to sell toys, but that disappoints me and seems like a huge waste. Is this all i'm going to find? toy commercials with poorly written characters(was I seriously supposed to care about the indian chick in 0079?) and some cheap pseudo philosophy like MUH EARTH GRAVITY once in a while?
>>
File: 1469535550947.jpg (447KB, 2000x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1469535550947.jpg
447KB, 2000x1075px
These are very agreeable opinions, anon.
Have you tried any alt timeline Gundam shows?
>>
File: 1475506104957.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
1475506104957.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>>14948887
I only watched IBO when season 1 was airing, dropped it after fatty's unknown brother appeared though, the whole thing was awful and easily one of the worst MCs i've seen in quite a while

Just because I want characters to get focus doesn't mean I enjoy a stupid princess talking about how useless she is all the time, not to mention
>Hey we're being pursued by evil nazi empire that rules everything
> so I want to get down in this colony and buy some clothes guise, that makes a lot of sense!

I was thinking of giving G Gundam a shot eventually, I'm not really a battle manga fan but I enjoy nekketsu once in a while and maybe it will be a different, fun experience.

But I don't know a lot about other gundam shows, I have pic related so I can check some of them eventually though.
>>
maybe it's not for you if you have to beg others to validate your opinions
>>
Try VOTOMS. The mecha in that are treated as very expendable, so a lot of emphasis is placed on the characters and their pasts. A lot of stuff directed by Ryosuke Takeshi is like that. In fact there was an interview where he admitted that he wasn't actually that fond of mecha.

Personally I disagree with your opinions on Gundams characters, but I can't be bothered getting into a debate.

The majority of mecha might just not be for you.
>>
>>14948969
I was thinking of VOTOMS the other day but put it on hold because of Escaflowne that i'm watching next. After i'm done with this I'll probably give it or Fafner a shot
>>
Watch FLAG
>>
OP i honestly dont think you get it at all
You complain about focus on characters... Without realizing that in Japanese sci fi, the MACHINES ARE CHARACTERS and thats been a thing since Mazinger Z. Only Takahashi stuff really goes against this trend.
>>
>>14949109
That's stupid
>>
>>14948882

>Gundam has a lot of characters that die, but how am I supposed to care about them when they're not developed since the series only focus on Amuro bitching or Char(who I thought was only good in Zeta, not being a fucking retard all the time) being a cool guy.

The thing with Tomino Gundam is that ALLOT of subtle development is happening at all times, but you don't get standard dramatic arcs that lead you by the hand through big important events that make binary changes in characters, it is all pretty gradual and nuanced. The characters of the main casts in 0079 and Zeta all had their own arcs, but it was done in a peculiar and kind of eccentric way. I would recommend trying to watch these shows again and try to pay attention a bit more ( not trying to be condescending but it does sound to me like you missed allot, and all Tomino Gundam is better on the 2nd watching when you have more room to piece shit together because you know what is coming up)
>>
>>14948882
>was I seriously supposed to care about the indian chick in 0079?

You were supposed to care about Amuro and Char, and how her death affected them. If you had been following their character arcs, how much that mattered to them and what they both lost should have been apparent.

>and some cheap pseudo philosophy like MUH EARTH GRAVITY once in a while?

The "souls weighed down by gravity" bit isn't meant to be that deep. Combatants aren't professional philosophers. It gets the point across though, spacenoid supremacists think that living on earth is holding back the species and is the key for getting us free from our seeming perennial bad behavior. Tomino made a point to concretely show that the rhetoric did not match up with reality, since spacenoids are just as bad and sometimes even worse than earthnoids. Its almost as if Tomino saw examples in real life of people with flowery political rhetoric being absolutely wrong when there ideas were concretely tried out, and then made an appropriate example of this in his own work.
>>
File: sweaty amuro.png (134KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
sweaty amuro.png
134KB, 299x299px
>>14948856
>>14948862
>>14948882

Imma need a TLDR for this, OP.
>>
>>14949109
>MACHINES ARE CHARACTERS

Please stop this meme.
>>
>>14949561
>You didn't understand it that's why it's bad anon

Fuck off, stop projecting.
>>
>>14949625
>You're supposed to sympatize with unlikeable characters feeling sad about a literally who that appeared 4 episodes ago and died and it's apparentyl supposed to be the most important person ever

Tominofags every fucking time, insufferable dick suckers
>>
>>14949002
Escaflowne's pretty decent and Fafner's actually really damn good.

Might also want to check out Dai-Guard or Vifam. They're almost universally loved here on /m/, and I think you'll approve of their fairly heavy focus on character development. Maybe the Giant Robo OVA as well.
>>
>>14949561
This is probably pasta, but it turned out true for me. The first time I watched Zeta Gundam, I thought it was decent. But the second time I saw it, knowing the story and the plot, I saw the small details in scenes that made it much better.

Although this is not true for every Tomino show. Brain Powerd has some of the shittiest dialogue ever and it's still just mediocre at best when you watch it a second time.
>>
>>14949684
OP is trying to say that he dosen't digs big robots.
And want to watch a "mecha" anime where "mecha" is as good as a background deco.
>>
>>14948882
>but I think the problem I have is that Mecha anime focus TOO MUCH on Mecha

Check out Dai-Guard and Turn-A Gundam. J-Decker if you don't mind MoTW
>>
>>14950183
You not wanting to be buddys with Char and Amuro has nothing to do with their quality as characters.

Lalah was shown to be important to Char as his lover, and the person who could lead him towards realizing his fathers ideals, and for Amuro she and he had a newtype connection that allowed for a genuine understanding, one which a semi-autistic kid like Amuro had never even come close to. 4-5 episodes is plenty enough time to make that stick. Lalah did everything she needed to.

>>14950166
But most times people criticize Tomino shows it is demonstrated that they missed important plot points, character development, or didn't get something that was made apparent. Its basic induction to hold that probably something like that happened when someone didn't like a Tomino show, because that is what happens 99% of the time.
>>
>>14950321
I'm inclined to just say it's longform trolling. Speaking as if they're new to mecha and haven't seen much mecha and want stuff that doesn't focus on mecha while saying they've watched the older Getter anime series and comparing them favorably to GL. I find it very strange for someone who's trying to get into mecha to jump right into Getter before newer, more critically acclaimed series they're more likely to have heard of in the first place.
>>
Have you tried Martian Successor Nadesico yet? Cause I won't lie, I had the same problem just coming in. Broken Blade gave me a new standard for character interaction mixed with giant robot fights.
>>
>>14950192
Fafner triggered my SEED ptsd once I looked at it but I'll try it anyways.

>>14950321
>OP is trying to say that he dosen't digs big robots.
That's not what I said, nice reading comprehension there retard

>And want to watch a "mecha" anime where "mecha" is as good as a background deco.
Same as above.
>>14951659
>everything is trolling

Kill yourself.

I watched Getter years ago, like I said in the OP it's not like i'm new to mecha, it's that i'm new to actively watching mecha shows. I did watch Code Geass years ago since I've been watching anime for a long time, the same applies to the old Mazinger that I watched as a kid and so on.

But I didn't watch a lot and I never looked for mecha series BECAUSE they're mecha. And just because MAL praises something doesn't mean I need to watch it first.
>>
>>14951782
>I'm fairly new to mecha
>I said in the OP it's not like i'm new to mecha,
Pick one faggot.
>>
>>14951788
2/10, made me reply
>>
>>14948862
>Ange was fun in a way

I found your problem, OP.

You're retarded.
>>
File: 1323286576932.png (525KB, 639x464px) Image search: [Google]
1323286576932.png
525KB, 639x464px
>>14948856
>>14948862
>>14948882
Opinions are only ever that, but Sturgeon's Revelation remains constant.
Mecha is no better or worse off than the majority of sub-genres.
>>
>>14948882
>Well my point being, I watched a lot of stuff and while I liked some I disliked majority of them

Is this not true of any genre, or anime as a whole?
>>
>>14948882
When will you anime-world norps get over yourselves and realize that the point of most mecha shows is MECHA? That's what fans want. Just because you came off of 'Welcome to the NHK' and 'Shinsekai Yori' doesn't mean you know what's best for all anime, much less for the genre of mecha. You want what you want, but you're in the minority.

The real shitshow starts when you combine your stupid mindset with an delusionally arrogant personality, and all of a sudden you have everyone from low-level shitposters to ANN tastemakers slamming the genre for having too much of its own elements to tell a proper story (wow! what a psychological reversal! this automatically makes you an insightful, penetrating critic!).

Why judge a mecha show against the standards of someone who doesn't really care for the hobby? Why not judge it based on the quality of the designs and the technology and the setting and background, or the politics? How about the military strategies and the battles? Are they realistic? Is the science 'hard' or 'soft'? How are the visuals?

There are a million other points of analysis, but -like clockwork- every wannabe anime reviewer always falls back to the same tired 'character development' bullshit.

At least you have the sense to realize that what you're saying is purely personal opinion, and not an objective statement of quality.
>>
>>14952136
> You can't want something out of a show that doesn't meet with the genre's standards.
You're almost as cute as OP.
Both of you are equally ignorant.
>>
>>14951792
2/10 for quoting contradictary quotes allegedly from the same person. Ok.
>>
>>14952136
>When will you anime-world norps get over yourselves and realize that the point of most mecha shows is MECHA?
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1358035483077.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1358035483077.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
>>14948856
>watches crappy shit like Gundam and TTGL
>wonders why he hates it
>>
>>14952136
To be fair. Plenty of Mecha shows had great characters who had better development than most non-Mecha anime shows, OP even listed two of them.

I do agree that the old "if it is not a character focused drama about getting into the head of some character, or making you fall in love with some waifu because she is so sweet and nice, then it is shit" line is really tired. Masamune's works for example were explicitly less about the characters and way more about the world building, technology, the themes he wanted to push forward, and the aesthetic, and there is nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>14952136
>Why not judge it based on the quality of the designs and the technology and the setting and background, or the politics?
Of course I think world building is important, didn't I say that I wished the robots took the backseat for a while so we get more development to the story?

> How about the military strategies and the battles?
Very rare in series like Gundam that only want to sell toys and focus on shooting laser beams, strategies while there are a few are stupid and something a 6 year old would come up with.

> Are they realistic?
Of course they're not, giant humanoid robots are not realistic starting from their shape alone being stupid for battles, I don't think you should look for realistic battles in a mecha series.

>How are the visuals?
You can put perfume on shit and it'll still be shit.
>>
>>14948957
This
>>
>>14953668

>Of course I think world building is important, didn't I say that I wished the robots took the backseat for a while so we get more development to the story?

Try Turn A Gundam. It definitely does this quite a bit.
>>
>>14955929
I will after i'm done with the series I said above, if it's good it might change my image of Gundam a bit. Thanks anon.
>>
Gundam isnt the only mecha series and you cant really judge the whole mecha franchise based on gundam. Try branching out a bit after watching some of the good AU's (like X, G and 00 s1). Read getter and watch gunbuster and diebuster or something.
>>
>>14951659
>I find it very strange for someone who's trying to get into mecha to jump right into Getter before newer, more critically acclaimed series they're more likely to have heard of in the first place.
That's how I started because my friend who is big into Mecha told me "if there is one series that will get YOU into Mecha, it's Getter." And he was right.
>>
>>14952136
>There are a million other points of analysis, but -like clockwork- every wannabe anime reviewer always falls back to the same tired 'character development' bullshit.
Yeah because most people like looking at written works as written works first, whatever genre it is second. General criticism is usually aimed at the writing since it's a more accessible and deeper field to examine. Bad character development is a flaw in any show, if you are talking about how something objectively stands you're gonna address it.

A truly fair and thorough critic or reviewer will go into deeper subject matter but also things such as designs and visuals, trying to maintain an objective viewpoint. Most of the people you are talking about the problem is they talk like they know anything about writing or execution when they know hardly anything about any subject matter in the show let alone writing.
>>
>>14953668
>Very rare in series like Gundam that only want to sell toys and focus on shooting laser beams, strategies while there are a few are stupid and something a 6 year old would come up with.
I actually really like how a lot of the tactics in gundam are a direct result from the worldbuilding. Remember in 0079 when the feds started marketing the white base as a "newtype battleship" or something without even having any proof if newtypes exist, simply so they could use it as a more effective distraction? Or how in 00 the gundams emit a kind of particle to fly that also causes a kind of EMP effect around them, leading to other nations to adopt a grid of small communicator drones so they can see where communications cease to detect the gundams? Hell, the entire dynamic in UC of having natural focal points for the war in places that actually have rocket silos large enough to send mobile suits up to space, while spacenoids can just do drops pretty much anywhere on earth is pretty interesting in its own right.
Much more interesting than LoGH's adaptation of existing tactics that wouldn't even make sense in its setting.
>>
>>14948856
>>14948862
>>14948882
>>14948936
Nice blog faggot
>>
>>14948882
>the problem I have is that Mecha anime focus TOO MUCH on Mecha
>>>/a/ is that way, friend.
>>
>>14958963

Tomino does that a lot. Dunbine has magical battleships defending castles and then having magical flying insect mecha upset that balance of power. Xabungle has huge land battleships that support fleets of miniature walkers to swarm enemies. And then they rediscover flying robots which basically are untouchable to anything on the ground.
>>
File: butthurt anon srw.png (56KB, 1269x733px) Image search: [Google]
butthurt anon srw.png
56KB, 1269x733px
>>14948882

Are you this guy by any chance?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.