[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Big O

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11

Just finished this and I have a few questions.

Was everyone robots? Or clones?

How the fuck did the city go back to its original form at the end?

How did Dorothy move without her core cell thing at the end?

Why did Dastun's clone of his younger cell appear again at the end?

Who is Roger Smith and why was he shaking hands with Alex Rosewater? Who am I? Are we all tomatoes?
>>
>>14947408
Season 3
>>
You'll just have to watch End of Evangelion and Rahxephon to find out. :^)
>>
>>14947418
First cour was noir.

Second cour was pure mecha.

So season 3 would be eva-tier psychological introspections? I don't know about that.
>>
>>14947418
There was never any plan at any time to make a third season you dumbass redditor.
>>
That's why Schwarzwald was the true hero, he just wanted answers and the truth.
>>
>>14947433
http://desuarchive.org/m/thread/14011517/#q14012899

Is this you
>>
>tfw adult swim wouldn't consider reviving this series
>>
Man the second season was pretty garbage and most of it felt like filler but fuck me if the mechanical designs didn't carry it all the way through. I swear I came every time the Big O did that super punch move with the cylinder or when the animators actually bothered/had the budget to animate robots fighting in a dense urban space falling down crushing buildings and shit. And the transformation at the end with all those mechanical sounds made me cream myself so hard.

>>14947466
holy fuck they should really have done that instead of a second season of FLCL which is pretty much concluded and discussed to death already

Also Norman is the most moe butler in existence
>>
>>14947451
Problem, faggot?
>>
>>14947488
FLCL is more popular that's way
>>
>>14947488
i guess cartoon network wasn't paying them that much
>>
File: big o sidecar missile launcher.gif (288KB, 230x156px) Image search: [Google]
big o sidecar missile launcher.gif
288KB, 230x156px
>>
>>14947408
It's all a metaphor for how the show is just that.

The thing is, Big O's second season was created at CN's behest. They requested that Paradigm City's mystery be revealed. However, the plan for the show was that the mystery never really be revealed, and that the city and its mysteries were a cool setting for the events that took place. All of the characters are actors to be used at will.
>>
>>14947495
time to go to bed kid
>>
>>14947512
I lost my shit when that happened

>>14947521
I'm sure the creators already had something in mind on the true story even if it wasn't fleshed out completely. I'm reading some old websites now and one theory is that the red balloons represent glitches in the system which I'm 100% sure is correct
>>
File: 1313983199479.jpg (88KB, 600x440px) Image search: [Google]
1313983199479.jpg
88KB, 600x440px
>>14947408
>Was everyone robots? Or clones?
TOMATOES

>How the fuck did the city go back to its original form at the end?
Roger negotiated with the director (Angel) to continue the series.

>How did Dorothy move without her core cell thing at the end?
I don't remember what this is about. It's been a while, sorry.

>Why did Dastun's clone of his younger cell appear again at the end?
I think this was supposed to imply the cycles were getting more and more deviated or unstable or something. Dan Dastun's next iteration ended up appearing early and so he ran into his childhood self experiencing that day at the movie theater.

>Who is Roger Smith and why was he shaking hands with Alex Rosewater?
The Roger Smith in the photograph may have be a previous cycle's Roger Smith, or maybe even the "original" Roger Smith.

It looks like the second season is generally regarded as bad here, but I actually quite enjoyed all of its metafictional nonsense.
>>
>>14947565
>Roger negotiated with the director (Angel) to continue the series.

Wasn't she going to do that in the first place? As in the system would continue to the next iteration of the city or something
>>
>>14947572
I thought she was planning to end everything, but like it said, it's been a while.
>>
>>14947588
Thanks man. No idea why I didn't watch this earlier.
>>
File: big o season 2.jpg (1000KB, 1284x2896px) Image search: [Google]
big o season 2.jpg
1000KB, 1284x2896px
the director was fucking with you
>>
>>14947408
I think it was supposed to be a message in a bottle of human civilization, created after a cataclysmic conflict that destroyed the outside world. There is such a big hoohah made over true memories. Memories of the outside world, I think. The minds of certain humans were copied and digitized into this world, but the process was not perfect and this shitty "wipe ALL memories" garbage was required to keep them all from losing their shit. Angel serves as a loopy administrator in this dying (or merely absurdly shitty) digital world, which with each repetition gets just a little more shitty than the last time. While it was man that started this war, it was the machines that tried to preserve people in this way. Remember how it's all the humans who have shitty paranoia and antagonism with one another? Most of the machines on the other hand are passive unless prompted by a human, or at least try to care about what happens to humans. Angel loses her "wings", and by the end reverts to a giant machine that has god-like control over ALL of the people around it. Angel, remember, hates remembering this about herself and actively tries to avoid reverting to this state. A shared delusion is preferable to being alone. Dorothy moves without that disk because it simply isn't real. It's just a representative of "core memory", and as long as she can access the data banks as a machine, she doesn't need a CD in a digital projection of a nonexistant gynoid to actually function. The Megadeuces are clearly connected to the people who used to pilot them. They really don't seem to have any self awareness except for rare exceptions though (looking at you Big Duo), or they are in fact sapient but just keep the fuck to themselves and don't give a fuck.

(1/2)
>>
>>14948731
Big O, at least, seems to call forth memories of Roger as a pilot in a past life, and seems to react intelligently when it needs to. Only thing I don't have a handle on is Big Ear. He knew the whole fucking time but was in charge of absolutely nothing. His advice DID lead to the whole illusion being ruined though, so...

I view it kind of like SOMA, where people have personal delusions of the world around them, where some delusions are universally enforced to keep everyone on the same page, and where people sometimes snap out of ALL delusions at the same time and have to try to cope with not being real people, in a not real world. Characters who wake up to this have a LOT of power over those around them, because it's easy to fuck with someone's head if you have more self awareness than they do.

Just imagine playing SOMA, and you fuck with these poor bastards by telling them they aren't real humans over and over again until they finally have a mental breakdown. Kind of like that.

Oh, and most of the machines aren't in on it because, like Angel, it really sucks to be able to delete, edit, and otherwise play god with people who are supposed to be your friends. They're all happier just leading "normal" lives, I think.
>>
>>14948731
I think Big Duo fused with Schwarzwald, which is why we can hear his voice and see his apparition when the suited guy got swallowed up by the cables.

>Big Ear
He's an android, it's revealed at the end. Maybe he accepted his role of providing information for the sake of activating the reset system so he just played along with his role.

What really fucks with me, though, is the lights and metal girders on top of the city. I've seen theories about there being multiple replicas of the city underground but it seems pretty impossible. Maybe it was left ambiguous on purpose to fuel discussion of the show. On second thought, it certainly is.
>>
>>14947408
Im not goin to say this is the creators absolute intention, but Gnosticism is geat way to look at the whole thing http://serialwordsmith.blogspot.ca/2013/09/the-big-o-showtime-we-have-come-to-terms.html

The whole thing works really well with the philosophy.
>>
>>14948897
Oh that's actually fucky. Why bother with a digital set of girders in a simulated city?

In the end though, a lot of lip service is paid to a stage performance, so I think at some point that there is no in-universe explanation for some of the things seen, while other things will have a solid explanation. As for Big Ear, I already knew about that, dude. I just did not imply that association well enough with what I posted. That's why his act really bothers me. There's something about him that makes him actually one of the scarier characters in the show for me. The passive way he waits for death at the end just screams that he is not an actual person and is actually just a mouthpiece for somebody else that we do not see.
>>
File: Whole-Tile-Close-Up.gif (411KB, 854x570px) Image search: [Google]
Whole-Tile-Close-Up.gif
411KB, 854x570px
Paradigm City is a Matrix-like simulation created by aliens in the DC Universe. The aliens, impressed by Bruce Wayne/Batman, being the most superior in mind and body baseline human he is, tried to create a template of him to imprint on clones that will serve in their mecha army. They designed a fascicle copy of Gotham City as much as they understood it, along with giving access to different models of their mechas to their "Roger Smith" and a host of colorful adversaries. They discovered, as Batman himself discovered in his "Zur-En-Ar" persona, that Gotham City is a machine to create a Batman. They give their subject a devoted butler, a mansion, a sweet ride, gadgets, and a sidekick in order to shape Roger like Bruce. But because of their flawed model and adaptions suited to their program, they get a Roger Smith, while impressive in his own way, is not quite up to the standard the ETs are hoping for, and also always ends up crashing the simulation or forcing a reboot. Darksied's minions tried something similar and also failed. Batman always wins.
>>
All the world's a stage
>>
>>14952979
Wow, comic book writers are really running out of ideas huh
>>
File: megadeuce.png (147KB, 1316x295px) Image search: [Google]
megadeuce.png
147KB, 1316x295px
>>14947408
Are you ready for revelation?
>>
>>14953580
>oatmeal Fridays

I can't breathe
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.