[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Defend this.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: tumblr_ogontcBRW41v7ii0so1_1280.jpg (266KB, 500x1285px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ogontcBRW41v7ii0so1_1280.jpg
266KB, 500x1285px
Defend this.
>>
Man, those five nights at freddy's concept arts are pretty cool
>>
OH GOD NO DELET THIS CANCER MY EYES ARE BLEEDING
>>
Name a more elegant mech. That's right, you can't.
>>
It's the highly complicated inner frame of a giant robot. What's not to like? This IS the /m/ board, after all.
>>
It looks like an Old Chicken
>>
File: gtm-kog.jpg (484KB, 1843x1300px) Image search: [Google]
gtm-kog.jpg
484KB, 1843x1300px
It retconned designs that were vastly superior.

That's pretty much it. I can't say I hate it because there's garbage designs being pumped out every season that are worse than even the ugliest Gothicmade. >>14936928

It's an interesting and bizarre design. That's all I can really say about it.
>>
>>14943954
2spooky
>>
>>14943954
How? It doesn't have any armor?
>>
>>14943954
The classic FSS designs have been around since the 80s. Nagano, like any artist, wants to do something new.

Look at how much Gundam design has changed since the 80s. Compare Zeta Gundam mobile suit designs to Iron Blooded designs. Pretty different. Nagano wants the same freedom to change his designs, too.
>>
File: 130.jpg (572KB, 1253x1600px) Image search: [Google]
130.jpg
572KB, 1253x1600px
>>14943954
They're pretty cool
>>
File: 1449098554996.jpg (29KB, 348x438px) Image search: [Google]
1449098554996.jpg
29KB, 348x438px
My problem with the GTMs is that they're -too- ornate. Mortar Headds are intricate and ornate too, yes, but they still look at least somewhat functional because they have a degree of bulk and weight to them. GTMs look too fragile and have too many small bits hanging off of them.

I know Nagano likes his little details, but GTM design is almost spiteful, as if he designed them specifically so that only he would be able to properly reproduce them and making models/figures would be impossible.
>>
>>14943954
Wheres the rest?
>>
File: CwUAqF_UkAAJnKv.jpg (104KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CwUAqF_UkAAJnKv.jpg
104KB, 900x1200px
>>14944697
>>
File: c0022683_4c3b2cca72583.jpg (229KB, 864x1119px) Image search: [Google]
c0022683_4c3b2cca72583.jpg
229KB, 864x1119px
>>14944713
>>
>>14944284
Why can he not just end FSS and work on something else then? Why does he have to force this terrible change on something no one had a problem with before?
>>
>>14943954
>sliding rail joints
>split spine
>elongated shoulder joint that acts as "upper" upper arm
>fingers with 5 points of bending articulation on each digit

Whatever you want to say about the actual aesthetic qualities of the designs, I don't think anyone can deny that Nagano is a very creative designer. Who else would come up with this crazy shit?
>>
>>14945152
That's my beef with him too. He can't let go of the past just like Anno and Eva which is why those painful Rebuilds still exist. But at least Anno had Godzilla.
>>
>>14945163
>But at least Anno had Godzilla.

Even with that he still had to tie Godzilla and Eva together with the soundtrack and that ending. He hasn't let go of anything and will probably milk that ancient franchise until he dies.
>>
>>14945185
Everyone in their 50s right now working in the anime industry looks like they're facing a dead end, if they aren't working on some big-name franchise then the original shows/movies they make have no budget and sell terribly.

Oshii, Imagawa, Ikuhara, what the fuck happened?
>>
>>14945206

The anime industry is stagnant right now because of japan's collectivist business culture. When new ground was constantly being broken in terms of story and visuals, there wasn't anyone to fall in line behind. Now, a 'old guard' exists, and everyone else just defers to them. But the old guard's ideas are no longer new and revolutionary, because all creative genius is the product of its time, and theirs was decades ago.

Worse than that, the new generation of writers and directors largely don't WANT to break from the mold. The industry is a behemoth they can just crawl inside and wait out their years. Just draw cute girls doing cute things and you'll be set. Who needs plot, or themes and concepts and shit?

I keep laying this at the feet of the industry, but if we are being honest the industry wouldn't be able to sustain itself like this if the otaku didn't have such low standards. They are fine buying the same thing over and over again (see: Gundam) so the industry hasn't needed to evolve for a long time.
>>
>>14945206
I was going to disagree with you but then I remembered Imagawa hasn't done anything in years, Ikuhara made Yuri Kuma with some shitty studio and it flopped, and Oshii made some really bad live action movies and is now working on some shorts for fucking Toonami, of all things.
>>
>>14945185
>and that ending
Doesn't it tie more to Nausicaa than Eva?
>>
>>14945281
It was a bunch of baby God Warrior skeletons, which are also Eva skeletons, which are also Anno inserting himself.
>>
>>14945266
The problem is that anime largely doesn't aim beyond otaku now, and that's another thing that's largely a result of there being an "old guard"

Otaku didn't exist when anime first became a thing and studios had to cast their net wide and attempt to draw in every person they could with creative and well-written or entertaining stories. Now the industry is run as if it's a corporate marketing department, basing every new idea off of proven demographic appeal rather than actual merit.

>>14945275
>Imagawa hasn't done anything in years
Well, Imagawa normally does take a few years in between projects anyway, though he's never taken this long
>>
>>14945289
>Otaku didn't exist when anime first became a thing and studios had to cast their net wide and attempt to draw in every person they could with creative and well-written or entertaining stories. Now the industry is run as if it's a corporate marketing department, basing every new idea off of proven demographic appeal rather than actual merit.

Otaku are the only ones that are profitable. All of those 80s and 90s OVAs that were trying to cast wider nets to find interest and showcase talent were just big moneypits and were a mistake.

Even in Japan cartoonso are generally considered for kids or family, that hasn't changed amongst the general public. The only chance anime ever had as an animated medium is to pander to otaku or kids.
>>
How the hell do these things fucking stand?! Is it magic?
>>
>>14945160
That's what I find interesting about Nagano. Any designer cam draw some weird robot, but Nagano puts a ton of thought and detail into it regardless of how silly it is. Not just GTMs but stuff like Jagd Mirage with its Buster Cannons. All the detailed diagrams and explanations, he is a true mecha designer.
>>
>>14945491

I suppose. But he is still kind of up his own ass about it. He could have stopped halfway into GTMs and still have a unique, immediately recognizeable stylized mech. But he just kept going, until he ended up with a mecha that looks like you need a roadmap just to understand where the fuck everything is on it and what its supposed to do. Arms don't need to be that complicated!

If Nagano designs shit on this level as the technology of inhuman aliens? It would be an imaginative master piece. But as something that is supposed to be used by humans, it crosses several lines and keeps going. Its complicated for the sake of being complicated.
>>
>>14945505
Yeah, it doesn't always work. I was speaking more about his design process in general than the GTM specifically. No amount of explanation will ever justify them as retcons.

It feels to me that he wanted to do something else like Brain Powerd but never got the opportunity for it. So he just shoved it into FSS.
>>
File: 201305_05.jpg (338KB, 1262x1600px) Image search: [Google]
201305_05.jpg
338KB, 1262x1600px
The best looking GTMs are the mass produced ones.
>>
>>14945275
>Oshii made some really bad live action movies and is now working on some shorts for fucking Toonami, of all things.

Netflix and Crunchyroll are actually funding anime productions now. It's only a matter of time before all the old guard have to kiss their ass just to make anything.
>>
>>14945505
>If Nagano designs shit on this level as the technology of inhuman aliens? It would be an imaginative master piece. But as something that is supposed to be used by humans, it crosses several lines and keeps going. Its complicated for the sake of being complicated.

GTMs are like what the ELS from 00 would have turned into if they saw a Motar Head.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.