[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never watched any Gundam before, which series should I start with?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: last slice.png (333KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
last slice.png
333KB, 420x420px
Never watched any Gundam before, which series should I start with?
>>
>>14941921
With what is canon.
>>
>>14941921
Production order
>>
File: gundam-timeline.jpg (499KB, 1280x1028px) Image search: [Google]
gundam-timeline.jpg
499KB, 1280x1028px
>>14941921
Mobile suit Origin
>>
>>14941921
The original, Mobile Suit Gundam, from 1979, is the best place to start.
It has three compilation movies that are also a good start.
There's a remake manga called Gundam: The Origin, you can also start with that as its mostly the same story with some extra stuff added and bad stuff removed, but don't start with the Gundam: The Origin anime because that's only a prequel and you need to know the story first.

After you go through any variant of the original show, watch the sequel, Zeta Gundam.
(NOT IT'S COMPILATION MOVIES THEY FUCK UP THE ENDING)

Zeta has a sequel called Gundam ZZ(double zeta), but it's kinda shit and not that necessary to watch Zeta's other sequel, a movie called Char's Counterattack, which ends the story more or less.

There's also a seven episode fanservice OVA called Gundam Unicorn that should only be watched after Char's Counterattack and the other few I mentioned, it's shit but has pretty neat animation.

There are also some side story OVAs called Gundam:
-0080: War in the Pocket
-0083: Stardust Memory
-08th MS Team
-MS igloo
-Thunderbolt
All of those except 0083 are about different characters and events happening at the same time as the original show, and can be watched whenever you want, 0083 is a prequel to Zeta Gundam.

Theres also a movie and show set after all the others called Gundam: F91 and Victory gundam, those should be watched after one another and at least after Char's Counterattack,

Everything else is alternate universe bullshit that doesn't matter and should never be watched except "Turn A Gundam", which should be watched after having seen every Gundam series that was released before it aired, for reasons.

I hope you still confused as ever.
>>
File: 1475895993014.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
1475895993014.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>>14941921
IN PRODUCTION ORDER
>>
>>14941921
>you don't care about old stuff being old as long as it's good
Mobile Suit Gundam (the very first one of 1979) and then Gundam Zeta if you want even more of the same
>you can't stand old stuff but are ok with mary sues, stock footages, teen drama and badly anticipated low-budget
Gundam Seed
>you want to have retro-nostalgia and feel like a westerner discovering Gundam a generation after the Japanese / you are a girl
Gundam Wing
>you want gundam to be characters and not just machines
Gundam 00 (no wait, this one is about characters wanting to be Gundams - it's still ok)
>>
File: Updated.jpg (397KB, 1744x1490px) Image search: [Google]
Updated.jpg
397KB, 1744x1490px
>>14941928
Have the updated version.
>>
File: 1477148374311.png (2MB, 1440x1090px) Image search: [Google]
1477148374311.png
2MB, 1440x1090px
>>14943190
You mad? Your guide older
>>
Everyone says the original, but like half of this board saw Wing first as kids so even we couldn't commit to that.
>>
>>14943238
So is Transformers before or after Robotech?
>>
>>14941921
K-ON!
>>
>>14944168
Unsure, but we are pretty sure that Voltron (Lion and Vehicle) is after Robotech and that Back to the Future and Ghostbusters fit into the timeline as well.
>>
>>14944162
0079 is also fucking old and not very good
>>
>>14945268
Shit taste.
>>
Everyone that tells you to watch the 0079 series first instead of the 0079 movies is a retard that apparently wants you to hate Gundam
Yes, the series is essential - after the movies.
Or just read Origin manga and go right onto Zeta, whatever floats your boat.
>>
Oh and the MUH PRODUCTION ORDER fags are retarded too, no one wants to wait to go back and watch Igloo or Thunderbolt after Victory, a show most of these fags haven't seen. So they dont even follow their own shit advice.
Production order actually makes sense bifbyoure watching VOTOMS, but I believe I lost nothing by watching all the OVAs before Zeta.
>>
>>14946342
>I believe I lost nothing by watching all the OVAs before Zeta
I think 0083 is more enjoyable if you've watched Zeta first.
Because then you understand why guys like Bask are being so shitty at their jobs.
>>
>>14946342
Because you one of this fags who cant make it in production order
>>
>>14946342
I don't think production order matters that much. I went in chronological order and loved it, then watched it in the 'traditional' order (MSG > Zeta > ZZ > CCA) when showing it to my friends but they were really antsy to watch the prettier OVAs with cool animation so I eventually sprinkled in some here and there along the way.

>>14946347
I agree. I watched 0083 immediately after the MSG series and didn't really catch any of the references until re-watching it after Zeta
>>
>>14946347
Yeah 0083 is improved after watching Zeta, but it's not necessarily essential.
>>
>>14941956
Gundam X isn't alternate universe though.
>>
>>14941921
Production order or bust.
>>
>>14941921
Whichever ones interest you
>>
>>14941921
Gundam 00.
It's the best.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.