[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it really that bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

File: latest-1.jpg (245KB, 550x812px) Image search: [Google]
latest-1.jpg
245KB, 550x812px
Was it really that bad?
>>
Yes

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm491534

>Comments: "Disgusting" "Ripoff" "Wasn't that bad, but it's easy to tell how old people who say it's really good are" "stay the fuck out of SRW please" "The best robot anime were in the 80's" "Isn't the believe in me who believes in you thing a ripoff of Kamen Rider 555?"

>"The so-called hotblood was too aimed for and badly written" "Throwing together tropes doesn't make a good show" "Only children like this rubbish" "I honestly found it boring" "Fake hotblood" "People say it's a homage but it's just a ripoff" "I don't think it's a ripoff, but the supposed hotbloodedness felt all wrong" "This is a parody right?"
>I hate how the retards who like this tend to make fun of the shows it's an homage to
>>
>>14940523
No, it's worse.
>>
>>14940531
So what you're saying is, hating the show makes you as smart and well-tasted as youtube commenters
>>
Remember how we had a good GL thread and Talon Lobster had to ruin it
>>
File: LS>GL.jpg (543KB, 1200x751px) Image search: [Google]
LS>GL.jpg
543KB, 1200x751px
>>14940597
>Talon Lobster
When did /m/ have problems with Mavericks?

Also picture is old, but still true.
>>
>>14940609
Oh good, call out one autist and another shows up
>>
>>14940623
Why must you announce your arrival to the thread anon? That's pretty pompous.
>>
>>14940523
No, it just falls apart in terms of storytelling with a poorly executed timeskip arc. It has some great moments and good characters but how they change sometimes feels sloppy.

I think it is a solid 10/10 for the first 13 episodes and a good 7.5/10 second half before they get past the moon
>>
>>14940609
Picture is actually false because moeblobs are not /m/
>>
>>14940647
>good characters
I can accept a lot of what you said but this is a blatant lie, characters is a notable weakpoint of this show
>>
>>14940722
I think all the designs were pretty enjoyable, the only real issue I had was how they got "developed". People changed like some kid playing with a light switch.

Overall I thought most of the characters brought into the show were great, nia could fuck off though.
>>
File: 1478123704102.jpg (503KB, 1500x942px) Image search: [Google]
1478123704102.jpg
503KB, 1500x942px
>>14940654
>Picture is actually false because MOEBLOBS are not /m/
You're wrong!
because the cancer arrived at /m/, thanks to Kawamori and Macross F.
>>
No it's not.

Now stop making the same fucking thread
>>
File: 1472605543395.gif (497KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1472605543395.gif
497KB, 450x253px
>>14940654
>moeblobs
>>
Don't mind me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VIiX4TL2_vg
>>
>>14941918
Let's play a round of "how many frames in anon's gif"

My guess is 4
>>
>>14940523
One of the weakest shows Gainax is known for. Gunbuster and FLCL are the ones you should watch
>>
File: plb0.png (855KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
plb0.png
855KB, 960x720px
It's a goofy and fun show with a focus on escalation and spectacle. I dunno why people feel the need to pretend it's something else, and hate on it because it's a bad example of that something else.
>>
>>14942435
This.
>>
It was great. Seeing it disliked by /m/ of all places always hurts.
>>
>>14940523
So we hate TTGL now?
>>
Great soundtrack.
>>
Like a lot of other Gainax shows, it has a really nice feel to it. Pre-timeskip especially with the shots of environments and stuff. The soundtrack definitely helps with that too.

I like how the show progresses as well, moreso in the first half than the second, but I do appreciate how much things change over the course of the show.
>>
>>14940523
the choreography was fucking garbage for one.
>>
No, it was popular, so /a/ shits on it.
>>
>>14940523
No
>>
>>14942476
>with a focus on escalation and spectacle
which was fucking boring.

all the mecha battles were garbage. I didn't have any fun with TTGL.
>>
I can almost get the hate but I had tons of fun with Gurren Lagann. Almost everything about it was amazing in my opinion.
>>
>>14942576
>I didn't like it, so it's bad

The internet was a mistake.
>>
>>14942576
That's fine, at least you're not pretending the show was supposed to impress you with the plot or characters.
>>
>>14942779
Could be worse

>I only like it because it's bad
>>
>>14942783
A better plot would have helped, but the very least I expect from a hot blooded super robot show was some good fights, and I didn't get any of that.

Most of the fights were just one side overpowering the other. No choreography and it's just a bore to watch.
>>
Did we get anything like video related at all in TTGL?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psAMCrBilao

All the HYPE moments were killed by the characters giving unnecessary long speeches that broke the rhythm.
>>
File: Luluco chew.gif (83KB, 379x387px) Image search: [Google]
Luluco chew.gif
83KB, 379x387px
No, the hate it gets stems entirely from its popularity and people will go out of their way to find reasons to justify their hate that goes beyond just that.

Why do I believe this? Because Luluco is the exact same show when it comes to constant homages and love for things that came before, and it isn't anywhere near as hated. You know why? Because it never became anywhere near as popular, it came and went, the most hate it generally gets is "I wasn't a fan".

It's fucking tribalism applied to people who watch tv shows.
>>
>>14942811
Yeah let's ignore all the problems the show has and just go for the durr hurr people hate it cuz it's popular route.

Not even Nakashima could be on message at the end of TTGL's run.
>>
>>14942820

Because the show wouldn't be anywhere near as hated if it wasn't popular, which means that the popularity is a genuine factor in the hate. It AMPLIFIES the problems with the show.
>>
>>14942830
>It AMPLIFIES the problems with the show.
Of course, especially when people are praising it as the epitome of anime and mecha in general.

I wanted to like TTGL, but all I got was Naruto-tier "morals" (and even worse), and its action wasn't good enough to make up for the generic plot.The final act was so boring and it lasted forever.
>>
>>14942841
>Of course, especially when people are praising it as the epitome of anime and mecha in general.

Why are you letting other people's opinions affect how you feel about the show?

>I wanted to like TTGL, but all I got was Naruto-tier "morals" (and even worse)

I didn't get any real morals out of it other than just really standard japanese values.

>and its action wasn't good enough to make up for the generic plot.

I disagree, I liked the action just fine. My only issue was the episode where they killed off all the semi-regular characters for the sake of drama.

>The final act was so boring and it lasted forever.

The final act is like 4 episodes, it does not last long.
>>
>>14942849
>I didn't get any real morals out of it other than just really standard japanese values.
It was shoved down my throat real hard. It was literal shitty shounen tier shit.

>I liked the action just fine
Oh really? Maybe you just have different standards as to what makes action good. For me it's choreography, and general direction, but the action was all over the place, and there was never a good one on one mecha fight.

>The final act is like 4 episodes, it does not last long.
It sure felt long as fuck with their boring anti spiral arc.
>>
>>14942856
>It was shoved down my throat real hard. It was literal shitty shounen tier shit.

No it's literally just a japanese belief, so to you it's shonen by associationg. It's why Simon doesn't bring Nia back, because it's self-sacrifice for the greater good, a thing that's a cornerstone of their society.
>>
>>14942860
You think I don't know this shit? It's just that in TTGL, this Japanese belief was constantly in my face, and if the show at least had more entertaining characters and plot, then sure, but it was mediocre on both of these fronts, so all I got was annoying obnoxious yamato shit.
>>
>>14942862

So you're complaining that a show made by the Japanese for the Japanese shoved pro-Japan values in your face.
>>
>>14942865
>pro-Japan values
these are also universal values.

I'm complaining because the show was shit, and the shitty shounen tier storytelling didn't help it either.

If you can't see that then you're just another deluded fanboy.
>>
>>14942900
>these are also universal values.

No the specific part of the ending in regards to Nia is not universal, it's why people outside of Japan argue so much that it wasn't the right thing to do.

>If you can't see that then you're just another deluded fanboy.

No, I just don't put deep thought into television shows, they're just entertainment to me. I enjoyed TTGL when it aired and that's all I can really say. I leave analysis for things that actually deserve it.
>>
>>14942919
wait, self sacrifice is uniquely Japanese? What the fuck are you talking about? Get off your high horse.
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 749x422px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 749x422px
Now, I don't want to point fingers but I think someone is trying to start fights
>>
>>14942919
>just don't put deep thought into television shows
You are saying he is at fault for thinking about the show more than not at all? If it can't hold under scrutiny then that's just criticism which it deserves. You need to learn that enjoying something and something being good aren't the same thing, there's subjective and objective value.

Just because YOU like it doesn't invalidate the criticism he's putting forth. I don't think TTGL is bad or really good, I enjoyed it thoroughly when I watched it back in the day but I can admit the show is DEEPLY flawed/lacking and that the second half is kinda terrible. I still enjoyed it but can admit it's overall a mediocre product.
>>
>>14942927
As much as it's a waste of a thread I like that this board shits all over everything, ironically or not.
It honestly makes me enjoy it so much more.
With the exception of Seed, knowing what was going to piss me off pissed me off.
>>
>>14942924

The west pushes individuality too much for the "greater good" to have too much standing.
>>
>>14942943
>You need to learn that enjoying something and something being good aren't the same thing, there's subjective and objective value.

No I understand that, but I also think that if I like something, that's good enough for me.
>>
>>14942997
more so with the strong rising of nationalism that is growing more relevant in today's western culture.

i couldn't care less about what would be best for others if it means it comes at my expense.
>>
I went for mindless fun

it was mindless fun

is this so horrible?
>>
>>14942533
I don't get this complaint, the fights were great.
>>
Apart from muh choreography, this guy has not made one solid argument as to why TTGL is bad or even mediocre.
>>
>>14940523
I wasn't a fan, honestly. It just wasn't my cup of tea.
>>
>>14940523
Only /v/ babbies think it was good.
>>
Honestly the first time I saw TTGL I loved the fuck out of it. It was only when I rewatched it once or twice that all the glaring issues of everything came out.

It's good, if you turn off your brain after the timeskip. Up till then it is great
>>
>>14940523
SJWs love Cancer and shitposts
>>
>>14943052
watch more mecha
>>
>>14943064
the story is generic and predictable. The characters are cookie cutter of past mecha.

The mecha designs look like shit.
>>
It's a good show but the fan base is annoying
>>
>>14940523
>>14942582
hey mecha hater, STOP the shitposting
>>
>>14943736
no it's shit
>>
I think the second half is actually better than the first half because of the combination of the thought provoking characters and motives with the fast-pace storytelling and action that doesn't make you want to stop. Fight me.
>>
File: 1477169425740.jpg (132KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1477169425740.jpg
132KB, 1440x1080px
>>14943826
>thought provoking characters and motives
There are no characters other than Simon who already has completed his arc and doesn't develop further for the whole second half. There is nothing thought provoking, it's incredibly simplistic and poorly executed and literally always boils down to Simon is right and everyone else is fucking retarded. Everyone else is a cardboard cutout with one dimension to their personality and motives.
>with the fast-pace storytelling and action that doesn't make you want to stop
That's called awful pacing, things go at a snail's pace with people yammering endlessly while nothing happens. Then suddenly the last three episodes everything happens but half of it is literally stupid worthless shit. The action is also a terrible in a lot of it.
>Fight me
Benkei! Hayato! Ikuzo!
>>
File: 1459166637474.jpg (430KB, 1680x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1459166637474.jpg
430KB, 1680x1152px
>>14944315
Not him but you never elaborated as to why or even gave examples at all. All you're doing is trivialising shit while claiming its all super simplistic and shit.

Also please don't use Getter in such a stupid way.
>>
>>14944614
I'm not him but I haven't watched ttgl in over 5 years, so I can't give you concrete examples but my feelings are pretty clear about the second half. It wasn't as good as the first half because it tried to bite more than it could chew.
>>
>>14943007
Not trying to make a point about TTGL specifically, but if the show accomplishes what it sets out to do,regardless for what it is, then it´s good. Problem is, people either ignore this or think every single art product aims to be a groundbreaking masterpiece. If the show aims to be mindless fun and it is then it´s good.
>>
>>14944660
>It wasn't as good as the first half because it tried to bite more than it could chew.
Reasonable argument. Doesn't mean it's shit though.
>>
>>14943007
>>14944755
No, there's nothing wrong with mindless fun, but TTGL wasn't mindless fun after the first half anymore.

It tried to be more "epic", with more shitty speeches that makes any battles unenjoyable, more crappy transformations done in non-ironic ways, more crappy characters who now feel suddenly important even though they did nothing in the last half.

Ultimately, that made the show more pretentious and preachy than it had any right to be, especially when it started as a parody of super robots.
>>
>>14944614
Where would you like me to begin, because we have gone over this countless times. The second half tries to be overambitious and make it like spiral energy has some negative side to it, like a certain other magic energy from a different Mecha show, giving it some sudden meaning when before it was magic that reacted to bring hot-blooded. The problem is what spiral energy is is incredibly simplistic: it's effort. With effort anything is possible, and the antispiral is literally just entropy the character. The antispiral is saying don't put in effort and change things, we need to keep the status quo because it's safe.

TTGL should have stayed simplistic and not attempt to touch on themes it has no grasp of. It's a fun show when it's about having fun, it stopped being fun with the time skip because it took itself too seriously while having a mediocre execution/writing.
>>
>>14944763
It's shit because of the things that the second half introduced, and they all were for the worse. Nakashima tried to write an "epic" but it was obvious that the scope of the show and his writing abilities wouldn't allow it.. All he did was take the same things from the first half and upped it 10 times with no real impact, but this time, with an actually crappy plot, badly written dialogue, and useless characters being introduced.
>>
File: 1351874503690.png (610KB, 1410x2052px) Image search: [Google]
1351874503690.png
610KB, 1410x2052px
Nakashima fellated himself every night to his glorious sensei, Ken Ishikawa, and literally tried to become him.

When you think about it,

Getter started out silly as well, but then ended up pretty seriously, but it doesn't work in TTGL because you don't really feel any sense of urgency. There are no serious themes, just characters trying to be serious. Those are two different things.

Nakashima is only good when he does his nonensical parodical writing (I meant that in a good way) like in Kamen Rider Fourze and RE Cutie Honey.

When he tries to tackle actual serious themes, he just falls flat on his face and bores everyone else watching in the process.
>>
Kamen Rider Fourze was like TTGL in a way, by hammering ironic messages. Nakashima is good at this.

In TTGL, it was me believing in you etc shit, in Fourze, it was befriending the shit out of people.
>>
File: getter meme.png (213KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
getter meme.png
213KB, 500x355px
>>
>>14940523
This has the most depressing ending of any mecha show I've ever watched.

>the heroic Anti-Spirals are defeated
>universe is now doomed becasue Simon is a fucking idiot
>>
>>14942811
To be honest, Luluco went to shit because it did its references wrong. It's not a matter of jerking off Trigger, since TTGL jerked off like all the super robots. But TTGL's approach was "Hey, let's be Getter, and let people see how awesome it is for themselves!" Luluco's approach was "Hey, let's hang out with KLK and Inferno Cop and LWA and talk about how great they are!"
I mean I really liked Luluco, I just hated how Trigger kept tripping over their own dicks.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.