[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mech or Suit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 17

File: 1269623853973.jpg (302KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1269623853973.jpg
302KB, 1024x768px
Sup /m/'
Not a regular here, so be gentle. I just wanted to discuss something I've been bothered by for a few years.

The misconception of mechs defined as "suits", and suits defined as "mechs".

For example, when talking about mechs, sometimes someone brings up Samus or Iron Man.
Or when talking about armors or suits, someone brings up a metal gear or gurren lagann or gundam.

What is with this discrepancy?
I've always been under the assumption that a Mech is a bipedal armored vehicle or weapons platform that you very specifically "pilot" like any other craft, while a Suit is something that covers your body like a suit typically would, and responds directly to the movement of your limbs and body parts.

tl;dr: "Mech" vs "Suit", which one is it, asshole?
>>
>>14939636
"Mech" is shortened from "Mechanical" so even a bicycle is a mech.
>>
power armor
>>
"Suit" is used by Mobile Suit Gundam-dipshits for everything and "mech" is commonly used in the west as a catch-all term due to Battletech.

in other words: just say robot
>>
File: 1303917092059.jpg (150KB, 1024x585px) Image search: [Google]
1303917092059.jpg
150KB, 1024x585px
>>14939638

Everyone knows what you're talking about when you say "mecha" though, don't be a smartass. And even so, people still refer to a mecha as a "suit", which doesn't make much sense.

Shit, even Iron Man 2 did this at the very beginning of the movie in the court scene.
>>
File: 1272396435241.jpg (226KB, 662x750px) Image search: [Google]
1272396435241.jpg
226KB, 662x750px
>>14939646
IT'S NOT EVEN A FUCKING ROBOT THOUGH.

Why does everyone refer to huge mechs as "giant robots"?
You don't pilot a robot, robots are AUTONOMOUS.
Medabots and Transformers are robots, Gundams and Iron Man are absolutely not robots.
I refuse to call them robots.
>>
>>14939664
Mazinger Z's intro and 1277342 Super Robot Wars games politely say "fuck off".

(but then again, you don't even need to be a robot anymore to be in latter)
>>
File: thumb-1920-306240.jpg (419KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
thumb-1920-306240.jpg
419KB, 1920x1200px
>>14939664
giant robots
>>
>>14939636
Mecha, in English, just refers to sci-fi or fantasy mechanical things. It does not exclusively mean giant robot. Your assumptions are bad and they are wrong.
>>
>>14939700
Yes friend that is precisely why we are here on a board called "Mecha". It's obviously within the context of giant robots, don't get cute with me, I will fuck you up.
>>
>>14939643
That's just armor with electricity in it
>>
>>14939664
To be fair, considering how they work, most giant robots receive fairly basic direction and aim instructions from the pilot and then the robot itself moves the legs and such, so it's still fairly autonomous even if it can't actually make decisions.
>>
>>14939636
I hate the "autism" meme, but ... I think you need to try and be less autistic about this.
All these terms are commonly used interchangeably.

And that's OKAY.
>>
File: 1450037741528.jpg (45KB, 475x357px) Image search: [Google]
1450037741528.jpg
45KB, 475x357px
>>14939829

Now you listen here you do-whatever son of a bitch don't gimme any of that flippant shit
It's not too much to ask for people to be goddamn consistent with their differentiation between the two and if I hear you go out on a limb and call a Gundam a "suit" one more time I'm gonna mangle you to the point where people will bicker about whether you're vegetable or just straight up retarded
>>
Who gives a fuck.
/thread
>>
OP, mecha is the catch all for all things "mechanical". There are then more specific or stylized terms.

Take power armor. It's power armor, but it falls under the blanket of "mecha". Same logic applies to cyborgs.

Planes are "mecha", but they might not be mechas. Does that make sense?

PacRim's Jaegers are mecha, but they are called Jaegers for stylistic choice.

Toku is NOT /m/, but some toku has /m/ elements in it.

Borderlands is /m/.

There is a huge quantity of things that can be considered /m/.
Obviously, the majority of the discussion here revolves around giant robots, but that's not all.

>tl;dr lurk moar or go fuck off back to /co/
>>
In the case of Gundam, sometimes you can call it a suit because that's what they call them in universe. Mobile Suits.
>>
>>14939874
This is like /v/ trying to justify what is and isn't considered a videogame discussion, I swear to god.
The issue here isn't the definition of "mecha", but the context of the usage of the term; nobody in this retarded world refers to a car or cyborg or power armor or anything mechanical as "mecha" or "mech" in any situation ever.
Nobody stands next to a metal gear in a conversation about mechs and goes "oh you mean that dumptruck over there?"
Don't be contrarian, for crying out loud.
>>
>>14939898
>nobody in this retarded world refers to a car or cyborg or power armor or anything mechanical as "mecha" or "mech" in any situation ever.

You're so fucking dumb, OP. Everyone is telling you the same thing: Outside of Japan, sci-fi/fantasy machines are mecha. In Japan, anything mechanical is mecha. Power armor is mecha. F-Zero is mecha. Giant robots are mecha. Cyborgs are mecha. It's mecha, stupid.
>>
File: mobile-suit-gundam.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
mobile-suit-gundam.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>14939852
>if I hear you go out on a limb and call a Gundam a "suit" one more time
Well, the box says it's a suit. don't know how much more clear you can get.
>>
>>14939904

Never mind the definition of the term, that's not the issue here, you're right in that regard. What I'm saying here is nobody in their right mind thinks of anything other than /m/ when they hear the word mecha in this context. The term is absolutely useless in any other conversation, who fucking cares if F-Zero is "mecha" by definition.
>>
>>14939906
i dont care how they spin it, its not a suit
>>
File: 1.jpg (29KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
29KB, 406x364px
What the fuck?
>>
>>14939912
Maybe no one outright thinks mecha for F-Zero, but they sure do for Iron Man.
>>
File: 1323228594659.png (218KB, 363x339px) Image search: [Google]
1323228594659.png
218KB, 363x339px
>>14939929

Yes, and that's my whole point. It upsets me.
I'm going to bed, enough drink.
>>
>>14939636
I'd advise to use giant robot for any "mech" with a cockpit and over 7 meter tall and power armor for any "mech without a cockpit and 5 meter or less.

the line gets blurry on the 5~7 meters
>>
>>14939649
>Mobile "Suit" Gundam

hmmm
>>
>>14939636
A tomboy
>>
File: BOTH.jpg (205KB, 605x699px) Image search: [Google]
BOTH.jpg
205KB, 605x699px
>>14939636
>Mech or Suit
BOTH.
>>
>>14939914
>its not a suit

You're right, it's a mobile suit.
>>
>>14939920
I want to think this whole thread is all in jest.

But it's 4chan so probably not.
>>
File: Hey_Sully_HD.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hey_Sully_HD.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
It's pretty hard to discuss this because some people/movie director will keep on hammering terms they like rather than do a proper analysis.

The truth is that very few things are suits, exoskeleton or power armor, simply because they are made too complete for that. They want the strength to flip car around but dismiss that it mean the suit don't need the user anymore.

Iron man suits for example are actually mechs, not power armor and even less "suits". They are self-sufficient and don't rely on a pilot's strength to move, THEY ARE NOT NOT WORN, they can be remote controlled when possible. But Iron Man fanboy wouldn't like the idea that the suit is more important than the hero, so they call it a power armor, and it even link with the hero energy-core.

Same for Avatar's AMP, they call it exoskeleton because mech sound too nerdy and they like the idea that it represent the actor, they won't admit that it's a Mech that just get it's command from an unusual interface.

An exoskeleton can only exist if the suit cannot walk/accomplish its task without relying on an user's strength or body. Or if you reach, an user's eyes or sense of balance.

In short :
It is perfectly possible that exoskeleton eventually get replaced by human-sized mechs just like smartphone replaced cellphone.
>>
>>14939636
Suit. But suit is still /m/. Look at Guyver.
>>
File: 1382104440658.jpg (492KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
1382104440658.jpg
492KB, 1200x720px
>>14941503
> Iron man suit ARE NOT WORN
fixed

Also, some Iron Man suits entered "Robot" category simply because of the AI.
You can't have AI capable of making human decision and have the human pilot not look redundant. (aka : it's not the human aiming at the target, it's human telling the mech what target to shoot at)
>>
ITT: Literal autism.

Guess what OP? No one in all of existence but you cares, perhaps ending your own existence will alleviate your pedantic bullshit.
>>
>>14941507
Guyver is more a biomechanoid than a suit. It's also partially internal so it wears the user as much the user wears it.
>>
>>14941526
Autism and /m/ are like franks and beans. Can't have one without the other.
>>
File: suit of armor.jpg (60KB, 640x441px) Image search: [Google]
suit of armor.jpg
60KB, 640x441px
>>14939636
That's mainly the fault of the fucking English language. This problem has its roots in the term "suit of armor".

How many pieces of armor are you required to wear before it becomes classified into a "suit"?
What is the difference between a "power armor" and a "power suit"?
How much tonnage/size is a robot supposed to be in relation to the rider before it is classified as a "suit"?
>>
>>14941536
>What is the difference between a "power armor" and a "power suit"?
well, one exists as a term, and power suit's aren't real even in fiction
>>
If you want to be really anal about it, 'mechs/mecha' in the most traditional sense are giant robotic humanoids with a cockpit or pilot seat while a 'power armor' or 'power suit' is something the user wears as a humanoid exoskeleton that mimics and enhances the person's natural movements.

But really mechs can take any sort of form from animal like shapes like your favorite chicken walkers or spider tanks or don't follow any real established form and really the term mech only refers to the mechanical nature of the thing. Tanks and Planes can be mechs toasters and deskfans can be mechs. Hell, JC Denton and his cyber augs for example, when you turn on your augmentations the guards will exclaim "This guy's some kind of mech". Then you also have bio-mechanical mechs like the Aura Battlers and Evangelions which fuse biological parts with machinery into a sorta mech.

So really it's best not to get all stuck up on terminology. It's up to whatever show or property you're reading/watching/playing to decide how it wants to use these words if at all.
>>
File: cybercops_cyber-unit suit up.webm (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
cybercops_cyber-unit suit up.webm
2MB, 400x300px
Both are great, but giant robots are more popular. Power armors are neat, specially in JP's metal heroes. However, in western shows it's still small: only Iron Man is widely popular nowadays. You see more exosuits without armor plates, like Edge of Tomorrow, Elisium (basically a "less-techie" vest).

And the concept of power armor in JP is pretty wide: some of them works by "space teleportation tech" (space sheriffs, spielban, cybercops), others are "magic powers" (juspion), traditional physical suits (jiraiya, rescue heroes) or even odd cirurgies (jiban).
>>
>>14939636
when it comes to the mecha genre, all powered suits are mecha, but not all mecha are powered suits. for example, ironman's armour and t-800 are both mecha, however only one of them is a suit.
>>
File: TAKE BOTH!.gif (497KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
TAKE BOTH!.gif
497KB, 480x360px
>>14939636
Why can't it be both?
>>
>cyborg = human brain + inorganic parts
>android = robotic brain + humanoid shape
>the T-800 is an android
>it's mislabeled as a cyborg
>mfw
>>
>>14939636
it's not perfect, but I generally try and differentiate them with
>do the pilots limbs fit into the mechs limbs?
>if yes, suit/power armour
>if no, mech
>>
>>14939914
>i dont care how they spin it, its not a suit
The original script had them being powersuits. The decision later turn them into much bigger things in the final product but the old name was kept.
>>
>>14941503
>Iron man suits for example are actually mechs, not power armor and even less "suits". They are self-sufficient and don't rely on a pilot's strength to move, THEY ARE NOT NOT WORN, they can be remote controlled when possible. But Iron Man fanboy wouldn't like the idea that the suit is more important than the hero, so they call it a power armor, and it even link with the hero energy-core.
The Civil War film already gave hints that Tony Stark is a liability in his suit now, as his AI can already fight better without him.
>>
File: 1245139643951.jpg (2MB, 3686x3107px) Image search: [Google]
1245139643951.jpg
2MB, 3686x3107px
>>14944177
>do the pilots limbs fit into the mechs limbs?
>if yes, suit/power armour
>if no, mech
that's the sort of self-deluded "simple "answer that plague any discussion of the topic. anon spouting nonsense that don't make sense as obvious to look smart.
But It simply doesn't work, you can't use that as an answer for all the diversity and misinterpret it easily.

Do all limbs have to fit the mechs limbs ? does it have to be worn or just withing the general vicinity ? how far can a limbs extend from the pilots limbs ? what count as a limbs ? do extra limbs 100% mechanical still make it a power armor ?

One failure at the above question and Iron man suits are simultaneously mech & power armor and Jeager become mechs (they are in the head and if it doesn't need to fit...)
And you add stuff like Landmate and suddenly you have to make Frankenstein "half-suit, half-mech" and you just look like a moron.
>>
File: 454.jpg (253KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
454.jpg
253KB, 1920x1080px
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.