[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is up with all this Nagai hate on /m/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: Go Nagai wants you to check 'em.jpg (238KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
Go Nagai wants you to check 'em.jpg
238KB, 1280x854px
What is up with all this Nagai hate on /m/?
>>
About 3 or 4 NEET shitposters
No mods

Remember IS threads? It's kind of like that. Very dedicated shitposters. It only works because /m/ is slow and has zero moderation. You can literally force something off this board if you shitpost hard enough.
>>
>>14937203
Shitposters.
>>
Mainly shitposting.
Though to be fair, he is a guy who built a lot of his career on being provocative and I can get how that can not be to everybody's taste.
>>
>>14937282
>Because he perpetuated of every cancerous anime trope
Like what? Aside from giant robots piloted internally, of course. Nice English, by the way.
>>
>>14937261
He was basically a troll before those were a thing, with the way he ended Harenchi Gakuen by killing off the whole cast as a response to the PTA's complaints.
>>
Only third world subhumans like Go Nagai
>>
>>14937308
Trolls have always been a thing, people just called them assholes, jerks, or some other synonym.
>>
>>14937261
No one here hates Nagai for being provocative. Robet A. Heinlein is my favorite author as he's as controversial as you can get. Nagai just happened to peak with Devilman and went downhill from there.
>>
>>14937354
Even Nagai says that Devilman was his magnum opus, so I'll grant you that. Not so much the downhill part though, since he pretty much just went back to making the degenerate perverted stuff he was known for before, and I can't count that as going downhill if you're a fan of Nagai.
>>
>>14937354
>>14937376
Anybody else really like Devilman Lady? Ending was a bit of a mess but as far as making more Devilman could have gone I don't think we could have expected better. Not a masterpiece like the original but a very cool followup.
>>
>>14938487
I like Lady, I felt that is like an extended version of Devilman, with some really cool shit there. The ending is fine for me, they are closing a circle this time, the world isnt reseting.
>>
>>14938487
Yeah, Devilman Lady is great. Especially the later part. It's very different from Devilman and explores different themes, but I think that's one of its strengths because you're not gonna top Devilman.
>>
>>14938487
I found most of it boring or just plain stupid. I don't care for the art either. Old Nagai was not as polished, but way more appealing. There was a charm in the roughness of his old style.
>>
>>14937203

He's as much of an overrated hack as Anno, Tomino & Fukuda.
>>
>>14937203
He made Gundam worse because of IBO.
>>
>>14937319
>says Pablo
>>
>>14938652
fuck off busterbeam
>>
>>14938659
yeah retard, he's an overrated hack, just like all the other people that /m/ likes to talk about.

Kawamori is a hack, Takahashi is a hack, Nagano is a hack, Matsumoto is a hack, Imagawa is a hack. Whoever is doing the latest Gundams is a hack.

Everyone's a hack, get over it, Pedro.
>>
>>14938742
I would be talking to myself and posting walls of text and pictures if I were him.
>>
>>14938797
fuck off pablo no one cares
>>
>>14938749
>Takahashi is a hack
This is actually true though
>>
>>14937354
I've heard good things about Violence Jack but not much is out there of it, so it's hard to have much confidence either way.

Devilman is the best of what I've read of his work, though. At its most expressive it's a pretty interesting series. Devilman Lady didn't appeal to me at all.
>>
devilman lady is better because it has good rape scenes

devilman is inferior
>>
>>14939041
That's pretty much my own feelings. Violence Jack is decent enough, but when it's bad, it's really fucking awful. People also tend to give him way too much credit for things other people have done first and better. Nagai was pretty standard for his generation and the generation before him. There was nothing outstanding about him. At most, his works have a more childish appeal than most of other manga from his generation. Working with Toei also had a big role in his current relevancy.
>>
>>14939134
still better than the majority of shit that /m/ likes to talk about.

gundam is childish as fuck and i cringe whenever i watched zeta
>>
File: rat monster transformation.webm (965KB, 895x500px) Image search: [Google]
rat monster transformation.webm
965KB, 895x500px
>>14939047
>rape makes everything better
I can't tell if this is bait or if you actually believe this anymore.

>>14939134
>nothing outstanding about him
Other than the fact that he is one of the most influential manga authors of all time that has influenced countless manga and anime even until this day.
>>
>>14939179
the rape makes the manga better

devilman was too tame, and for cucks.
>>
>>14939179
>has influenced countless manga and anime even until this day.

Being influential doesn't mean this said influence was for the best. Star Wars was influential and single-handedly killed any further attempt at good science fiction in cinema. It showed producers that shallow characters, simplistic plot, action scenes and special effects are everything you need to make tons of money.
>>
Since the 70s he's been a manga-making factory relying on countless assistants, and by his own admission his work method is to make shit up while he's drawing, so the results are very hit-and-miss. He hit his peak in 1972-73 with Devilman, Cutie Honey and the original Shonen Jump Mazinger Z episodes. It's not true that he was forced to finish Harenchi Gakuen or to kiddify the Mazinger Z manga, he just wanted to focus all his efforts on the weekly serialization of Devilman (which, by the way, wasn't meant to be so dark and ended up being the way it is for the aforementioned work method). As with many artists, he gradually lost his touch but he does still make some good stuff every once in a while. Everything else is objectively trash but it's so batshit crazy that you can't help but love him if you are in the right mood. Also, don't underestimate Devilman's influence.
>>
>>14939281
There's literally nothing wrong with manga like Mugen Utamaro and Tenku no Inu.

Tenku no Inu is an average manga but educates you well on myths, and Mugen Utamaro is a decent take on the picture of dorian gray.

Dante Shinkyoku is a good retelling of the poem, with superb art. Gekiman seems interesting enough from the first chapter and browsing I went through.

To say he hit his peak with Devilman is wrong. He elaborated many of his Devilman themes in his later mangas for the better.
>>
Its one dedicated Baitposter, his shtick is way too obvious now
>>
I don't like Getter Robo and Grendizer, but maybe that's because of the absolutely useless available subtitles.
The enemies in Grendizer are terrible anyway.

Devilman is great and Mazinger is fun, so are Violence Jack and Kekkou Kamen.
Cutey Honey is boring and Shuten Doji is shit.
Fandora is nice.
>>
>>14939281
>Since the 70s he's been a manga-making factory relying on countless assistants
>relying on countless assistants
Source? I'm pretty sure you're the same troll that was saying that modern Nagai doesn't really draw and that his assistants do anything. You're a strange one.
>>
>>14939687
>>relying on countless assistants
He started very early to credit the art to "Go Nagai & Dynamic Pro". After all, how could he possibly handle three weekly mangas + one monthly serialization at the same time? If anything, it's quite remarkable how well he did during that particular period, considering that he was also closely involved in the pre-production of the Devilman, Mazinger Z and Cutie Honey anime adaptations. His assistants have always done most of the art, he's always been transparent about it and there's nothing wrong with it.
>>
yeah in Japan "Comic By Fred" almost always means "Fred oversees a bunch of assistants" no matter who it is
>>
>>14939867
>He started very early to credit the art to "Go Nagai & Dynamic Pro".
The art? No, he would credit the entire manga as such. And guess what? Virtually every mangaka does that. Araki and Lucky Land. Tezuka and Mushi Pro. The list goes on and on.
>>
>>14937216
What the fuck happened to the /m/od? Dude was pretty based.
>>
>>14939917
I think it comes down to the other boards requiring more moderation and /m/ is just too low on the priority list because we're tiny. Even places like /a/ have dedicated shitposters for certain topics, but discussion moves fast enough that it usually doesn't matter.
>>
>>14939372
Now this guy. This guy right here is full of shit.
>>
I like pretty much everything Nagai has done and most things based on his works. There are a number of his titles that aren't part of my main interests, but I still think he does them well.
If you don't like him or he's not your favorite, that's fine. But no one cares, so stop trying to tell everyone on /m/ that you don't like thing or that you think thing is overrated.
>>
>>14939907
I'm pretty sure it's just for the art in some of the printings I've read. Araki is only working at one project at a time, and who knows about Tezuka? I'm saying that an author like Tezuka, Ishinomori or Nagai was his own brand so to speak, with an enormous volume of work that could not be accomplished without a great deal of help. Today we hear stories about shonen authors like Oda or Kubo burning out due to their weekly work on ONE series. Imagine being one of those guys back in the day. What I'm saying is that I do believe Nagai's assistants have an heavy influence on Nagai's output, but this was more or less common practice for big-name authors at the time and Nagai is simply keeping this tradition alive.
>>
>>14940562
>Tezuka, Ishinomori or Nagai was his own brand so to speak, with an enormous volume of work that could not be accomplished without a great deal of help.
They also used vastly simpler art styles with less detail backgrounds in most cases. I think assistants work in mostly the same capacity then as they do now.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.