[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Battletech/Mechwarrior?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

I always liked it.
>>
>>14915573
all I know is that Ghost Bears are invincible and can do no wrong
>>
>>14915573
>that guy's face down in the bottom left
a classic

also, AMARIS DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
File: madcat.jpg (371KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
madcat.jpg
371KB, 1920x1200px
>>14915573
Loved the games and some of the novels.

Is MWO any good of a game?
>>
>>14916709

It's alright, there were rages during release, but i see lots of positive reception now. Dunno what that's about.
>>
>>14916709
Well it's free, no reason not to play. It does some things very well, but has a few major screwups. Largely in balancing. Such as some mechs with outer arms would always fucking lose them, or a laser boat was always a bad idea without a lot of fire micromanagment. A lot a matches end up similar to say, a World of Tanks game. A main force gets dragged into the field and chipped down, while their base is ghost captured. Or some light Commando that did nothing all game spends the final five minutes running around an Atlas in constant overheat. Other times it can be glorious, like a medium Hunchback that won't die baiting the enemy force into long range missile strikes. Little scenes aside, customizing your mech was tedious. Swapping one major gun for a lateral upgrade for the sake of play style meant you spent the next hour playing with each and every panel's armor and heat sinks to make the fit happen.

The fire schemes were awesome though. You can set a button to fire off a certain configuration of guns. Say you had two light lasers on each arm, a main railgun, and two more lasers on your torso. You could fire set a button to being any combination, so you could alternate light blasts of 1/3, 2/4 and 5/6 to keep your heat distributed with some heavy pacing. Do things right and you can overheat an enemy on your terms. But the position of each laser from your view, plus range, make pinpointing weapons a bitch unless it's in your torso. then some Catapult just spams long range missiles on your ass. There was just a million things that sound cool (and are cool to pull off) on paper that make combat tedious.
>>
>>14916741
Don't get me wrong though, MWO is one of the best mech games in a long while. Even if you burn out, it's an experience to be had. Find a group and you'll get to see the game shine.
>>
>>14916741
Still sounds like a lot of fun though.
>>
>>14916766
I'd honestly blame the studio attitude and actions for a good chunk of the poor press around it. There's a lot more quality of life fixes since my days ended.
>>
MUH BATCHALL
>>
File: Stefanamaris.jpg (53KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Stefanamaris.jpg
53KB, 400x400px
>>14916698
>AMARIS DID NOTHING WRONG
This!
>>
>Mechwarrior 2
>"DIE CLANNER SCUM!"
>Mechwarrior 5
>"OH MUH GU-" *canceled*
>>
File: battletech 2017 atlas.jpg (60KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
battletech 2017 atlas.jpg
60KB, 800x450px
My body is so fucking ready for BT2017.
>>
>>14917614
looks like shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEY0Lnpv1Oo
>>
>>14917756
>those views
>that complete lack of comments
No clue what that shit is, but it's not an official trailer. The actual pre-alpha footage looks pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkixB91Uug
>>
>>14916714
Got it in beta and stopped playing almost straight away, but I just got back into it. I think it's really fun.

I think the rage was ppl wanted a Mechwarrior 5
>>
>>14918318
We wanted something that wasn't a cash grab. Who wants more $200 gold mechs?
>>
>>14919295
>$200 gold mechs
IIRC, aren't those cash shop mechs unnecessary for skill unlocks? And they're not noticeably better than the regular C-bill variants, so it's not like the game is pay-to-win.
>>
File: Not a single fuck.jpg (208KB, 600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Not a single fuck.jpg
208KB, 600x1200px
>>14916698
>>
MWO sucks, come play the better game, Mechwarrior Living legends.

https://clanjadewolf.net/mwll/
>>
>>14919322
Ah you're right, just let me grind for 2 weeks while I save up for more than one mech. Then another week to change weapons.
>>
>>14920797
>grind for 2 weeks
Git gud. A decently played match should net you upwards of 150k C-Bills and last about 5-10 minutes. Cadet bonuses give you plenty of cash, too. In my first week of gameplay, I had a fully customized Warhammer, a stock Thunderbolt, and half of the gubbins I needed to customize the T-bolt to my liking.

>week to change weapons
Also hyperbole. Again, 150k+ per 5-10 minutes. XL engines and module installation are excessively expensive, I agree, but most weapons, Ferro-Fibrous, and Endo-Steel don't take much more than a few hours of playing.
>>
File: screenshot_jungle.jpg (124KB, 850x646px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_jungle.jpg
124KB, 850x646px
For anyone who's never played the tabletop game but fancies giving it a go (with a computer to do all the tedious number crunching) by all means check out Megamek, it's been a pretty fun recent discovery of mine. Mech lab is fun too.

http://megamek.info/downloads
>>
File: 1359198934916.png (364KB, 458x507px) Image search: [Google]
1359198934916.png
364KB, 458x507px
>>14920797
It was that bad a couple of years ago, but c-bill earnings arn't THAT bad anymore.

>>14918318
The rage is for a good number of reasons. Most noteably, the initial design pillars, and the way the game was pitched to the community initially. It was initially ment to be a 3025esque era multiplayer game, eventually leading into 3050 era. Community Warfare was supposed to be the main mode, and fighting over the innersphere was supposed to be the big draw.

just a few weeks into the closed beta, and we break past 3025 into 3039 era tech. ERLL, Ultra AC5, LBx 10AC. Pulse Lasers, Double Heatsinks...

Instantly balance is broken, PGI forged forward without properly balancing the base level tech.

Then came the community interaction blunders. The Island comments, the ignored polls, implementation of features that were promised to never be included, yet were put in anyway.

Ignoring the salt from an old bittervet... MWO has a good, core gameplay, the combat feels decent at least.
>>
>>14915573

I have the starter set but got no one to play with

oh well, I enjoy painting mechs.
>>
>>14922708
>oh well, I enjoy painting mechs.
Why not do gunpla then?
>>
>>14922712

I've got gunpla but I just prefer painting miniatures.
>>
>>14922671
how can one ass be so 80s?
>>
>>14923418
yes
>>
File: 1475947690961.jpg (394KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1475947690961.jpg
394KB, 1024x768px
>>
Lets say some animation company gets the rights to make a new mechwarrior/battletech show. How do they do it?
Who can not only save battletech, but bring it into the western spotlight?
>>
File: sgt johnson remastered.png (161KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
sgt johnson remastered.png
161KB, 300x375px
>>14927047
Blur Studios?
>>
File: 1291939466870.jpg (855KB, 784x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1291939466870.jpg
855KB, 784x2500px
>>14917815
>the otherwise almost pristine Atlas getting headcritted
Classic BattleTech right there.
>>
>>14927047
If there isn't a DFA in the final episode I will be pissed off.
>>
>>14927047
This would be very difficult, but I'll say it would have to be a show that goes into one of two very specific veins.

One: - Go Fang of the Sun Dougram guerrilla war style with underdogs fighting Clanners or maybe the Dracs.

Two: - Go Legend of the Galactic Heroes or the Korean historical drama Age Of Warriors style, with all of the philosophical and political stuff with action scenes being a cohesive part of the story.

You'd have two layers of characters in each case, the upper echelon, high ranking individuals and then the grunts / heroes fighting on the battlefield. There has to be a clear enemy in this, and it has to be paced well. It could be done, but I think it would be very difficult.

What era could be better than either the Clan invasion or a DC invasion of a planet ala Crescent Hawks Inception?
>>
>>14928321
You could also do something like Cowboy Bebop/Black Lagoon but with mechs, a small roaming mercenary group.
>>
File: generation_kill2.jpg (154KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
generation_kill2.jpg
154KB, 480x320px
>>14928427
Alternately, Generation Kill with mechs.
>>
>>14928427
Nice. I like the Black Lagoon idea especially.
FUND IT!

There is a question, what would be the lead character's titular mech? Marauder? Warhammer? Another Axman like the cartoon? Captured Mad Cat? Maybe Shadow Hawk for a while?
No Hellstars, ha.
>>
>>14929122
Urbanmech.
>>
>>14915980
>you will never see an actual bear pilot a mecha
Why live?
>>
>>14929122
Urbanmech or maybe a Marauder. The Rivals mech could be a Timber Wolf.
>>
>>14929122
Wolverine, leading a lance of a Wasp, a Griffin, and a Stinger.
>>
>>14928441
Waaaaht?
>>
>>14929122
>There is a question, what would be the lead character's titular mech?

It's supposed o be good so it is done by a Japanese animation studio.
Therefore you can count all designs bought from the Japanese out.
>>
>>14931700
Urbanmech(IIc)
>>
I like the Clan invasion - Operation Bulldog arc and mechcommander had a really immersive atmosphere. MWO fell short of expectations though the core gameplay is okay. 3067-onwards doesn't really appeal to me.
>>
Mechwarrior Online is solid enough
if you have ever been a fan of armored core you will probably enjoy this game.
Pro tip for new players if you have fun with the free rotation mechs and want to get your own Grab a Timber wolf Prime.
it can be configured to do nearly any roll.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.