[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When exactly did UC Gundam stop moving forward and become an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

When exactly did UC Gundam stop moving forward and become an inescapable hell of interquels, side stories, and retcons?
>>
>>14912975
I'd say CCA
>>
>>14912975

08th MS Team I guess? It was released after Victory Gundam, the last story (animated) within a UC calendar. All animations that followed it in UC were side stories or interquels. None of them have retconned shit though, since they've all either been alternate UCs or simply added more detailed not retroactively changed established detail.
>>
File: 1427512051732.jpg (19KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1427512051732.jpg
19KB, 400x300px
>>14912994
>since they've all either been alternate UCs
>>
>>14912975
Victory/Crossbone are the latest that it goes, not counting Turn A/G-Reco as that's debatable/so late in UC it doesn't matter. And G-Saviour since it's a horrible Baka gaijin look at Gundam. The designs are ok though.
>>
>>14913000
The Origin should be obvious, and Thunderbolt features a full retcon of units and has a higher tech level than normal UC. The author straight up said that he got permission to do what he wanted and wasn't constrained by the timeline.
>>
>>14912975
Probably during 0083, which got the grand OVA treatment while F91 at the same time was turned from a full TV series to a barely comprehensible movie.
>>
>>14912984
/thread
>>
>>14912984
>>14913175

How exactly? It came out after ZZ and before F91 and resolved the story of two of UC's major characters. It's not a side story, an interquel, prequel or an AU and it doesn't retcon anything.
>>
>>14913190
They mean after CCA, I'd assume. They didn't progress a step past CCA, so CCA would be the stopping point
>>
>>14913262

> F91
> Victory
> didn't progress a step past CCA

Well that's just silly.

> inb4 not canon

Putting aside there's nothing actually saying that, even if you wanted to try and argue they're not canon anymore because of Unicorn then they were the intended canon at the time and for 15/20 years afterwards regardless, so CCA still wasn't the point at which it happened.
>>
>>14913279
I think there's an argument that post-CCA stuff before Unicorn never really caught on with viewers, so the natural response would be to lock the expanded universe for UC to Feds vs Zeon conflicts with the exception of Crossbone for whatever reason.

It's funny if you look at Unicorn as being a criticism of how the UC has been reduced to that eternal rehash.
>>
>>14913291

I don't think there is, because whether something is popular or not isn't what decides if something is canon or not. It can be a major factor for dismissing something as canon, but it's not actually what decides it on it's own. And even if you think it is, F91 and Victory were still a step past CCA and still had to exist to be dismissed due to lack of popularity.

On the other hand, them existing isn't hurting existing sales in the slightest so there's no harm in keeping them in. At least until they make something that directly contradicts their existence. Which they have yet to do.
>>
When none of the AUs were as successful as it and the only one that was, CE, shit the bed
>>
>>14913300
I wasn't arguing for canon, I was arguing popularity trends.

Instead of more late UC you got OYW rehash. And at some point it gets so bad that you end up with Unicorn, whose message is, among other things, "fucking move on from the OYW already!"
>>
>>14913279
I identify late UC as different from the main UC. Granted they are both the same timeline, not trying to argue otherwise.

Anyway, that isn't my point. You're talking about the "inescapable hell of interquels, side stories, and retcons", late UC is not exactly caught in this inescapable hell. it's everything caught between the Origin and Unicorn. Within that, what's the last thing that was actually progressive? I'd say CCA
>>
>>14913319

The question wasn't about early or late UC though, it was about UC full stop. It wasn't about what was the last entry that didn't progress things either for that matter - it was about what was the first entry which doomed it to side-stories, interquels and retcons. Which isn't CCA, since CCA did move things forward.
>>
All of the Tomino UC series moved forward, with G-Reco being a new century after Turn A and then Victory.
>>
>>14913334
So it's about the first entry to do bad, not the last entry to do good, got it. In that case, it's the 8th MS team. Maybe 0083, but that space jew gold leading to the rise of Titans makes it a worthwhile entry into the UC timeline.
>>
>>14913342

I'd debate that second part myself, since I think 0083's story is needless and 0079 already provides more than enough incentive for the creation of the Titans without needing 0083.
>>
>>14912994
>08th MS Team I guess? It was released after Victory Gundam, the last story (animated) within a UC calendar. All animations that followed it in UC were side stories or interquels. None of them have retconned shit though, since they've all either been alternate UCs or simply added more detailed not retroactively changed established detail.

Lol, how easily we forget 0080 war in the pocket and 0083. Retconning came along way before Victory and 08th MS Team.
>>
>>14913351
Yeah, the Titans are self explanatory really, and 0083 isn't necessary, but I DO think that the space jew gold was a neat addition. I mean it explains the "how", when what already knew was the "why". But yeah i'd accept that it's 0083, I just hate the 8th MS team far more.
>>
>>14913373

I didn't forget them. Nor did they retcon anything, since they didn't change any existing details. 08th MS Team was the first OVA released after Victory, 0080 and 0083 were released before it.
>>
>Zeta the only UC era show that was actually adventurous and took risks
>>
>>14913383
I dunno, some people don't like the Alex, there's certainly a case to make that it started the bullshit about adding more Gundams to the OYW, although personally I feel that the Alex was very tasteful (the mid season upgrade that never was). There's also a case to make about 0080 being a needless entry, just like 0083.
>>
>>14913394

> 0079 bucked trends by concentrating more on the military aspect
> not counting as taking risks

Zeta wasn't a particularly risky show and Sunrise were almost guaranteed success regardless of what it did following 0079's status as a hit after it was cancelled.
>>
>>14913397

Oh it was absolutely needless, and the Alex certainly started the trend of additional Gundams - though it'd probably have happened regardless. Those weren't the question though. It didn't retcon anything either, even if told an unnecessary story. All it did was expand detail, not change any established detail.
>>
>Alex started the trend
>Not MSV
>>
>>14913394
>Zeta the only UC era show that was actually adventurous and took risks
Zeta is tame compared to Victory.
>>
>>14913423

The origin MSV didn't actually add any new Gundams to the One Year War. The Gundams concepts it posited were the Full Armor and Perfect along with the G3. The Full Amor was, at the time, just an upgrade for the existing Gundam that never saw production because it was too heavy. The Perfect was an AU machine designed for Plamo Kyoshiro, not the One Year War. And the G3 was cobbled together from the remains of the other 2 Gundam frames in Side 7 that Amuro brought to Jaburo, as well as being identical to the normal Gundam and never seeing action or deployment according to the MSV. It wasn't until later that any if them were made new units and put in to the One Year War.
>>
>>14912975
Because both Bandai and Sunrise are afraid of backlash and Japan's UC fandom is afraid of change. Late UC is treated in their eyes the same way they see AUs like G, W, and X or even Turn A as being separate universes or continuities.

That's why UC OVAs are more or less just rehashes of events, plot points, and settings from the OYW and Gryps Conflict/Neo-Zeon wars.
>>
>>14912975
Can't pinpoint when, but it was probably Bandai's keikaku all along, OP.
>>
>>14913537
>Gryps Conflict/Neo-Zeon wars
I wish. Might just be another rehash, but I wanna see something here.
>>
>>14913394
I'd say I mostly agree.
It's the only early UC series (minus the original) that took big risks.
>>
>>14913550
Advance of Zeta?
>>
>>14913558

So basically you're saying only ZZ didn't take risks? Or are you counting OVAs as series? Also, what risks do you think Zeta took?
>>
>>14913564
>>14913550
Zeta and ZZ have Advance of Zeta (prequel) and 0083/Stardust Memories. OYW/MSG has:

- 0080: War in a Pocket
- 08th MS Team
- MS IGLOO 1
- MS IGLOO 2
>>
File: RX-78-6 Mudrock.jpg (2MB, 1809x1552px) Image search: [Google]
RX-78-6 Mudrock.jpg
2MB, 1809x1552px
>>14913453
Actually we never get any sort of idea of what became of the RX-78-3. MSV never actually gave any details of it's service beyond the fact that it originally served as a testbed for the mag coating. It never confirms whether or not it served, but recently, Gundam: The Ride has shown it aboard the Blanc Rival in the final throes of the A Baoa Qu battle, so it's pretty safe to say that the G-3 served in some capacity during the war.

Aside from that, the idea that multiple Gundams served during the war is hardly new. The original outline of MS-X in 1984 had the FA-78-2 completed by November 0079 to participate in storming the Pezun asteroid base. It wasn't till far later that Sunrise moved this event to after the war. Then, there's Okawara's M-MSV from 1990, which is where the RX-78-4/5/6/7 all first made their appearance, alongside the RAG-79-G1. The justification of these Gundams in 1990 was that their service during the war involved missions of a sensitive nature and thus remained classified until the year U.C. 0100.
>>
Rumor has it that Tomino wanted a protag even younger than Uso for the next Gundam series. That's when Banrise hopped off his crazy train and struck out on their own with the AU's and interquel rehashing.
>>
>>14912975
Zeon, simply Zeon.

Take away Zeon, and you'll lose half of your fanbase. You could try to expand the Late UC (like what the Crossbone writer been doing), but they rather see Zakus get mauled by GMs.

In short: SEIG ZEON!!
>>
>>14914184
I'm waiting for Tomino to include a toddler Gundam lead character.
>>
>>14912975
The 90s.
>>
>>14914205
Zeon confirmed as the cancer killing Gundam.
>>
>>14914205
Then why is AC, CE, and AD so popular?
>>
>>14914241
half fanbase wants something different, that's why it's popular
>>
>>14914241
CE is very much a OYW rehash.
>>
>>14914266
No, it isn't. Its a rehash as much of Wing as it is of MSG and Zeta. And it really shows.
>>
>>14913537
>Because both Bandai and Sunrise are afraid of backlash and Japan's UC fandom is afraid of change. Late UC is treated in their eyes the same way they see AUs like G, W, and X or even Turn A as being separate universes or continuities. That's why UC OVAs are more or less just rehashes of events, plot points, and settings from the OYW and Gryps Conflict/Neo-Zeon wars.

Fixation with UC is what will kill Gundam.
And it's time to cut loose the UC fandom. They've had 40 years, let them go already after all they have one foot in the grave.

UC in 2016 is like the shit that was the Star Wars expanded universe. You might find 1 or 2 good things among an ocean of shit. Disney rightly so dumped the EU retaining only some good aspects. Fucking Sunrise/Bandai should do the same thing with the UC.
>>
>>14912975
When they assessed what prints more money.
>>
>>14913047
Thunderbolt anime still fits (maybe not snugly) in the canon (for now).
>>
>>14915251
Uc related series and kits continue to be the ones that rake in the most money and are the most popular with the largest demographics. Bandai/Sunrise will keep pushing UC as long as it continues to print them money.
>>
File: Untitled-26.jpg (94KB, 663x960px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-26.jpg
94KB, 663x960px
>>14915251
>UC in 2016 is like the shit that was the Star Wars expanded universe. You might find 1 or 2 good things among an ocean of shit. Disney rightly so dumped the EU retaining only some good aspects. Fucking Sunrise/Bandai should do the same thing with the UC.

That's kind of what the Origin OVA is, fampai
>>
>>14915251
Yeah, they dumped that shit which is the EU to only create the worst Star Wars movie of all time and perhaps the greatest cash-grab ever in its place.
>>
>>14915251
>UC in 2016 is like the shit that was the Star Wars expanded universe. You might find 1 or 2 good things among an ocean of shit. Disney rightly so dumped the EU retaining only some good aspects. Fucking Sunrise/Bandai should do the same thing with the UC.
Star Wars fans also had 40 years and they just got a proper new entry last year, so I'm assuming you're advocating for Gundam to recieve a proper new UC series?
>>
>>14915251
Except the EU was better then Disney shit. Name one good game to come out of EA Disney deal post-2012.

Oh wait you can't. And Marvel's art is shit with most of their comics despite being vastly larger then Dark Horse and they even went beyond Lucas tier by bringing up and out their old comics they did in the 70s and trying touch them up with photoshop and lens flare and it looks awful. And their newer stuff are just rehashes of Rebellion, Dark Times, and Empire already.

You suck.
>>
File: 1478218178698.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1478218178698.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>14916663
>EU better than Disney shit
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.