[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ship Dimension Ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: Scan_20161103.jpg (1MB, 3501x2550px) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20161103.jpg
1MB, 3501x2550px
Need help here for a story I'm writing. Pic is a concept for a ship that can fly, go above water and under water. It's supposed to carry mecha, albeit mini mecha, and aircraft, But what should the ideal dimensions be?

The concept is based on the real-life Borei-class submarine, whose length is 170 meters, but I doubt that's enough to carry eight mecha or four aircraft. So, any ideas?
>>
>>14901610

Bump
>>
make them smaller?

5-8 meters
>>
>>14901610
I'll give you one of mine because I've always wanted to see something like this.

It's a ship that basically acts like an artificial planet, effectively being a combat equipped version of a space colony, with the environment comprising of a massive ring that surrounds a central ship with the ring connected via transport shuttles. The central ship could deploy smaller drone ships as well as mecha. its design when viewed from the front would give it its name, the mandala class
>>
>>14902057

The mecha are three to four meters. The ship in question is also to carry at least one helicopter for infantry support to ride on. It normally depends on the mission. The rectangle right there in the middle is one of the hangar entrances, with a ramp being how anything or anyone enters. Said ramp can be extended for the mecha to come out; think the catapults on the White Base (Mobile Suit Gundam).
>>
>>14901610

You'd typically want to look at carrier-sized warships for that.
>>
>>14902424

Would 179.9 meters, which was the overall length of Japanese light carrier Ryujo from World War II suffice?
>>
Try estimating the size of the hangar from your picture.

The hangar you got there probably is 40m or so in length. Leaving some space aside for machinery and stuff, it might be just perfect for your purpose. I would increase the size a little though, better to have some leeway to work with.
>>
File: SizeChart.jpg (45KB, 600x616px) Image search: [Google]
SizeChart.jpg
45KB, 600x616px
>>14901610
How realistic do you want it to be? If you are going for space opera kind of stuff, you might as well look to Space Battle Ship Yamato for Dimensions.
>>
>>14902666

Judging by his description it might be set in a terrestrial setting.

Does this ship need to go to restock in a harbour or is it something more akin to a mobile base?
>>
File: 10284004a5.jpg (145KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
10284004a5.jpg
145KB, 1000x667px
>>14902666
The Nautilus is pretty much the same size as Yamato

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10284004
>>
File: 1475063530733.jpg (55KB, 725x483px) Image search: [Google]
1475063530733.jpg
55KB, 725x483px
>>14901610
>four aircraft
Do you have any idea what type of aircraft ? Modern fighter aircraft are pretty big, four of them seems quite a lot actually. The new thing is simply to have drones launchable and controllable from submarines, maybe it's something to look for.

How does that fly and goes into the water? Why so many guns?
>>
File: doctrine.jpg (54KB, 490x357px) Image search: [Google]
doctrine.jpg
54KB, 490x357px
>>14902551

I was thinking something at least 200 meters in length. You would be looking at the larger "heavy" carriers as a basis. Eg. The Tuatha de Danaan from FMP is somewhere a little over 200m long and 44m high with a hangar housing a relatively modest complement of ASes at least over 10 meters tall each.

Of course it depends on what you intend to load on it in the end. The TdD is primarily a command vessel largely reliant on long-range missiles, but I gave my estimations on the basis that your ship, despite its small mecha complement, has to retain significant armament capability of its own given that it has to be able to adapt to three different and fully distinct threat environments.
>>
File: 1457767852_9.jpg (109KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1457767852_9.jpg
109KB, 1200x800px
>>14902677
>>14901610
As a comparison, this fictional ship is supposedly 200m long, stores something like 2-3 aircrafts, plus 3 CIWSs and 12 ASMs.
>>
File: Blingjet.jpg (44KB, 639x472px) Image search: [Google]
Blingjet.jpg
44KB, 639x472px
>>14902672

>>Does this ship need to go to restock in a harbour or is it something more akin to a mobile base?

The former.

>>14902677

>>Do you have any idea what type of aircraft ? Modern fighter aircraft are pretty big, four of them seems quite a lot actually. The new thing is simply to have drones launchable and controllable from submarines, maybe it's something to look for.

VTOL fighters like the Yak-141. in the story, Japan began re-arming to the point that the Self-Defense Forces got split into the Defense Forces and the Foreign Forces. The ship belongs to the latter. Japan gets their equipment from Russia, which explains the ship's resemblance to the Borei-class submarine.

>>How does that fly

VTOL. Take a look at the OP pic again. There are five ovals. Those are wings from Yak-38s. As for the power source, it collects condensation from the clouds. I got the idea from pic related, which is a fictional plane from Totally Spies.

>>goes into the water

First, it has to land in the water. The wings, and if not dropped, the hangar ramps have to be retracted. Then it goes into the water like an actual submarine.

>>Why so many guns

Because it is to have the firepower of early-20th warships. The three guns on top are 460 mm guns like the Japanese Yamato-class battleships. The circles with the small circles above the Yak-38 wings are 88 mm cannons for anti-aircraft.

Other than that, the ship is equipped with eight missiles, which are ballistically launched. However, unlike the real-life SLBMs used in the Borei-class, these missiles have only twice the length of the FIM-92 Stinger (1.52 m x 2 = 3.04 m) anti-aircraft missile. Each missile contains four warheads that have the size of a .50 BMG round that can destroy air, ground, and naval targets. The missiles are mostly used when underwater.

>>14902678
>>14902743

I'll go for the White Base's length and width, which are respectively 263 m and 202.5 m. Now that just leaves the height.
>>
>>14902864
VTOL requires crazy amounts of fuel to work, but the power source seems almost magical so... Main problem is that your design doesn't look like a very aerodynamic vessel, but whatever at that point.

Same thing with the cannons I suppose, if it's just for the style it's all valid, but massive guns aren't really a thing anymore for a reason, missiles just do the job far better with better firepower really, same for anti-aircraft duties (some russian subs were equipped with SA-7 missiles for that). Also why multi-warhead exactly, does it target multiple enemies at the same time? I suppose you know that .50bmg is extemely tiny a warhead the size of it wouldn't carry much.

I realize I'm being the annoying realistic guy, if you decide that you WANT big guns in the air, that's enough of a justification really, just trying to understand.
>>
>>14901610
Macross Zero did it right, with the planes being launched like VLS missiles.
>>
>>14902910

>>Also why multi-warhead exactly, does it target multiple enemies at the same time? I suppose you know that .50bmg is extremely tiny a warhead the size of it wouldn't carry much.

Yes, each warhead for each target. As for the size of the warhead, the manufacturers developed a new type of material for explosives that do as much damage as nuclear armaments, albeit conventionally. If coming from a bigger round or warhead, the yield is multiplied.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.