[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT Shows that didn't live up to the hype

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1437.jpg (27KB, 186x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1437.jpg
27KB, 186x270px
Evangelion. It most definitely didn't live up to its reputation. The writing was outdated; the characters were one dimensional, and the plot was non existent for the most part. All it had was symbolic imagery which I guess was enough for easily impressionable teens living in the 90s.
>>
Also Turn A Gundam. A complete and utter disappointment.
>>
>>14899060
Code Geass is boring, stupid, and has shitty pacing. The mysteries don't grip me, they just set up a bunch of shit they never resolve they just like making new problems to make you ignore any previous questions left unanswered. The mechs and the fights are all boring/stupid to look at. Every character works on plot contrivance and go from incompetent to baby genius to incompetent again at break neck speed. I didn't understand why it was so popular when it was airing and I don't understand it now.

The second season is worse and is near unwatchable.
>>
File: s-l1600-1170.jpg (50KB, 664x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600-1170.jpg
50KB, 664x1000px
>>14899060
Wasnt the hype made by the fanbase, though?

I feel like this thread is an attack on the quality of the show, when the truth is any fanbase can over-hype a series. A series may be good, but if a fanbase makes the series look like "ZOMG BEST FUCKING THING EVAR", it makes the series look bad, not because of the quality of the show, but because you bought into the fanbase's bullshit.
>>
>>14899060

If you thought the characters were one dimensional, that's a fault with you rather than the show.
>>
>>14899261
They all were. You had your typical beta kid, your typical tsun, your typical quiet girl, your onee chan stereotype, your gay friend, your asshole parent. It was one dimensional as fuck.
>>
>>14899272
And all of them are extremely realistic. The three pilots all suffer from mental illnesses, which are portrayed really well, even if it makes them "one dimensional" for you. Also, Evangelion helped make these "stereotype" characters stereotypical because everyone copied them - especially Rei, they basically created the archetype in Eva. Anno wanted a show about loneliness, helplessness and social isolation, and in my opinion he succeeded with that plan.
>>
>>14899272
There`s the part where Evangelion created these "character types".
>>
>>14899544
All of these existed before it.
>>
>>14899060

How old are you?
>>
>>14899060
It's easy to look back now when it has influenced nearly everything and say it didn't live itself up to hype.

Love it or hate it direction and visual storytelling wise it had real impact. Even Anno agrees the symnbolic imagery is pointless thou. It's just a story of a lonely kid whose absentee dad forces him to get into a robot.
>>
>>14899527
It's as if TVTropes wrote this
>>
>>1489955
If you're a teen you will find Eva fascinating, but for adults the writing is teenage high school shit.
>>
>>14899272
>typical beta kid
Most "beta" MCs don't crippling depression to the point where they can't maintain any relationships
>your typical tsun
Most tsuns don't completely hate themselves to the point that any sense of self worth they have is derived from a guy
>typical quiet girl
This is probably the closest to being true, except she isn't even a person and actually doesn't know how to act like one
>onee chan stereotype
Most of these stereotypes don't suffer from sex addiction and want to have sex with 15 year old boys to replace their dead dad

There's a lot of criticism you can make towards Eva, but one-dimensional characters isn't one of them. All of its characters are set up very well, given depth, and have arcs of some kind. That's better than most media in general.
>>14899562
I also think you'll enjoy/relate to the show more if you or someone you are close to suffers from mental illness. You're probably not entirely wrong though
>>
>>14899559
It's as if TVTropes was right about something once. For an educated opinion on something, you need to understand what the author wanted to achieve with it, how well he did it and how much you liked what/how he did it. You can't just call something bad if you don't even know what's in the work (You don't need TVTropes for it, their wording was stuck in my head because it was pretty accurate). I think I understand where Anno wanted to go with Eva, I think he did well and I liked it.
But here on 4chan, people can't be arsed to actually think about shows if they don't immediately like them.
>>
>>14899607
>depression
He's more fucked up than that, melancholy doesn't account for the hallucinations and hiding that he has them.
>>
HURR DURR EVANGELION SUCKED CUZ ASUKA WASNT ENOUGH OF A SLUT
>>
File: Evangelion is shit.jpg (2MB, 2816x2176px) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion is shit.jpg
2MB, 2816x2176px
the original Tomino masterpiece > Anno's haremshit fanservice rip-off
>>
>>14899060
oh good, this thread again

Does sage still work?
>>
>>14899060
eva and evafags are cancer
>>
>>14899272

The difference is that, unlike most anime, we actually get detailed explanations for WHY these characters are the way they are.

You are being poisoned by the wave of really shallow Shinji-knockoffs. They didn't bother to actually give reasons for their behavior, so you are not used to having to look for it. Shinji fits into the archetype, but only because in large part he defined it and he is the best written example of it.

Same goes for Asuka.

Rei, out of the three, is probably the one case where the successors that followed in her wake generally ended up better. Yuki Nagato and Eureka are clearly Rei alikes, but they end up as better characters simply because they are allowed to do more than Rei was and develop.
>>
>>14900161
>unlike most anime
evafag delusion
>>
>>14900161
>unlike most anime
evafag delusion
>>
>>14899616
Oh yes I can tvtropes fag. Why don't you go back there?
>>
>>14900182
>>14900183
>>14900192

Poor quality.
>>
>>14900212
What's up Juan?
>>
>Telling it's outdated 20 years after it influenced 90% of the whole anime industry.
>>
>>14899060

I'll admit that NGE had some good things going for it. However, it's no where near as good as fans of the show make it out to be. It mostly comes down to bad writing which is actually fairly typical of anime writing.
>>
>>14899559
Not an argument
>>
>>14899060
I have a question for you: what was the first anime you ever watched (excluding normalfag shit)?
>>
>>14899207
That's alright, I don't understand most of your post either. There's some pacing issues, which Code Geass did have but mostly in the second season. The mysteries weren't really the point of the show. Not even Gundam explains everything about Newtypes.
>>
>>14901088
DBZ
>>
STOP

RESPONDING

TO

BAIT

YOU

DENSE

INSECURE

SEMI-SENTENT

FUCKING

SHIT FOR BRAINS.
>>
>>14901183
>The mysteries weren't really the point of the show

Yknow except for the driving question of the show being "who killed Lulu's mom?"
>>
>>14899060
I was pretty let down after hearing so much about it. I didn't realize until much later how cancerous the fanbase really was.

It's still an okay show and deserves it's spot as a staple in the genre. Just don't expect it to meet the lofty heights that the fanbois would have you believe.
>>
>>14899060
I still cant help but smile when i hear Cruel Angels Thesis though
>>
File: harem shit.jpg (3MB, 3767x2218px) Image search: [Google]
harem shit.jpg
3MB, 3767x2218px
>>14899060
Eva is a generic harem
>>
File: 1430252256895.jpg (229KB, 751x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1430252256895.jpg
229KB, 751x1063px
>>14900227
Spics hate Eva you idiot.
>>
>>14899060
It transcended the hype for me. I'd read up on the characters and the world for years and finally got to see them in action.
>>
>>14901647
>weebshits love Eva you idiot.
>>
>>14901647
Spic here. Is this true? I don"t think I've ever met another mexican who's seen Eva.
Literally every spic on the planet has a fixation on Dragonball, tho.
>>
>>14899060
>It most definitely didn't live up to its reputation
Not true. Its influence is far reaching, even beyond anime. If it weren't for Eva, the Ender's Game series wouldn't exist.
>>
>>14901782
Nobody cares about shitty movies.
>>
>>14901782
...you mean Zone of Enders?
>>
File: EG.jpg (332KB, 1280x534px) Image search: [Google]
EG.jpg
332KB, 1280x534px
>>14901870
I mean Ender's Game.
>>
>>14901926
Which was a very popular book from the 80's.
>>
>>14901926
>>14901934
kek
>>
>>14901934
>expecting evafags to read books
>>
>>14901183
>The mysteries weren't really the point of the show.
The mysteries are what strings along the wafer thin plot. But every episode is season 1 usually tried to end on some twist or turn that somehow "changed the game" but is almost never even mentioned in the following episode. As for what I meant about the characters they are just so fucking inconsistent, you can claim a lot of anime is contrived but characters bounce back and forth from the best in the world to total shit on a moment's notice. Everything in the show feels so contrived.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.