[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how Effective were federation infantry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 13

File: tumblr_n7qirgubUI1sv7t4wo1_500.jpg (177KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7qirgubUI1sv7t4wo1_500.jpg
177KB, 500x667px
>>
As effective as Zeon infantryman. Being terrified of some jim or zaku stepping on you or shells the size of your head falling on you and killing you or breaking your bones.
>>
>>14890210
I want a Gundam OYW side series where its literally just foot soldiers. The only MS they use is a fucked up Jim that they can barely use to survive and the only Zeon mobile suits are just grunts. No Char, no Johnny Ridden, no special snowflake characters. Just men trying to survive a shit war.

Like they are knee deep in Zeek country with like only 5 fighting able men and one squad leader who is missing a arm and his legs. The rest? Dead from being shot out of the sky.

God who do I pay to do this right?
>>
>>14890228
>As effective as Zeon infantryman.
I'd argue more. Much of the Federation military were essentially acting as guerilla forces. Infantry are more effective for that.
>>
File: gundam x prequel.png (68KB, 1858x192px) Image search: [Google]
gundam x prequel.png
68KB, 1858x192px
>>14890246
None of the good ideas get done.
>>
>>14890246
fuck off /k/
>>
>>14890210
They were highly effective at getting drunk in other people's houses, insulting civilians, and taking fruit from local merchants without paying for it.
That's pretty much it. They lost almost the entire planet in a matter of weeks and apparently couldn't even manage Ewok-level anti-robot tactics.
>>
There was on page, from the same book OP's picture is from, with Feddies hiding behind a fountain or small wall with rocket launchers. The page read that the launchers were called bamboo sticks: and generally about as useful against a MS.
>>
>>14890288
Fuck man, maybe I should just go to Sunrise and pitch the idea.

Love some OYW wanking right? Why not make a morally grey OVA about some grunts in shit trying not to die?
>>
>>14890294
I have actually never been to /k/ believe it or not.

I was thinking of drama, less military and more men up shit's creek.
>>
>>14890282
Actually Zeon's infantry was shown to be incredibly effective at everything except programming bomb timers. If those guys in Time Be Still had set their bombs for anythiing less than an hour (seriously, who the fuck does THAT?) they'd have won in episode 14. Then there's Ral's guys mounting an assault on the White Base on foot in episode 20. Feddie infantry never did anything noteworthy in the original series except get falling-down drunk.
>>
>>14890312
that's like transformers toys that don't transforms

that's retarded
>>
File: steve and the boys.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
steve and the boys.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
>>14890320
Think they ever made it home?
>>
>>14890342
I mean of course there will be some MS units. I won't be completely daft.

I was thinking like a 3 part OVA series that has these group of men try to get out of hell filled with Zakus, Goufs, and Doms all over the place with just a shitty GM. The goal is to try and get out.
>>
>>14890373
I like to think so man.
>>
>>14890210

Infantry didn't exist in the One Year War, because Mobilesuits are literally just Infantry that can fall on houses.

The actual infantry of either side doing something would have meant subtracting that job from mobilesuits, so mobilesuits did that job instead.

If Tomino could have thought of a way to make it work, Mobilesuits would have been used to guard hallways in person-sized corridors.
>>
>>14890383
UC intro literally introduced the First Feddie combat suit, which was in September of 0079. The populace in 0080 (takes place December of 79) don't think the Feds even have mobile suits. The majority of the Feddie OYW was the WMD trade and conventional arms.
>>
Has there been any confirmed on screen kills by infantrymen on mobile suits? I remember there was that scene in MS Igloo where they almost got a Zaku, and then in Unicorn when the Sinanju got a facefull of RPG, but that seems to be about it.
>>
>>14890320
Its a problem with friendly forces in Gundam, you generally don't see them unless they're in trouble.
>>
>>14890447
This guy took out 13.

Almost as many as Amuro does in an average sortie.
>>
>>14890447
Shiro scores a mobility kill on a Zaku. There's also Master Asia, of course.
>>
>>14890210
Effective conquered the uterus of Zek women.
>>
File: 1477931076132.jpg (4KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1477931076132.jpg
4KB, 300x168px
>>
>>14890228
>okay your legs got blown off and we're losing the war so we're promoting you to space robot pilot even though you're an infantryman and there's nothing to suggest Basic in Zeon boot camp includes any training in the operations of what is essentially a tank combined with an attack helicopter combined with a space shuttle.

You know, his hair even looks like Amuro's space 'fro...
>>
It was written to be a parallel of the second world war, and apparently a lot of the combat was similar to it on the ground.
>>
>>14890246
How do you feel about that one igloo episode?
>>
File: 1280026313568.jpg (701KB, 2346x3259px) Image search: [Google]
1280026313568.jpg
701KB, 2346x3259px
This effective
>>
File: Ball gets a kill.png (1MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ball gets a kill.png
1MB, 960x720px
>>14890457
This.

You have to remember that regardless of how you feel about the Feds or how incompetent they're displayed as, they were still holding. All those months before the White Base's odyssey, the Federation had been holding its own using pretty much nothing but then-conventional weapons against the Zeeks, whose terrestrial weaponry was not as effective as it could be and whose infantrymen were mostly accustomed to life in space.
The Zaku in and of itself is evidence of this; it was not sufficient on Earth to give Zeon the advantage it needed for victory. Its ineffectiveness as a ground machine is the entire reason for the Gouf and Dom's existence, and all three would be outperformed by GMs or challenged by GM variants.

And generally, yeah, in Gundam, or at least 0079, you just plain don't see the good guy armies doing much of anything but jobbing. Canonically speaking they can hold lines and win battles and wars, but Gundam is about selling you Gundams and Zeek suits, not GMs and Type 61s.

GMs get kills, and we know they worked, but they're not there to be the heroes. They're there to make the enemy look stronger and to even the playing field in our perception without actually doing much. This picture sums it up perfectly; a Ball actually straight-up gets a kill without being blown up in turn, but the scene is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it occurrence. Nobody thinks of Balls as anything but fodder and so they are. Same for GMs, same for ground troops, etc.

But they hold, and regardless of how we see them they stand and fight. I think that's cool.
>>
>>14890294
don't let your autism flare up bruh
>>
they were pretty good in Thunderbolt and Unicorn.

Then again, it's modern shows, people simply care about more infantries now.
>>
File: p025.jpg (1MB, 2406x3263px) Image search: [Google]
p025.jpg
1MB, 2406x3263px
>>14890305
The name bamboo sticks might also be a reference to the Japanese WWII "Lunge mines" that were basically a shaped charge on a stick which might take out a tank, but would also kill the wielder in the process.
>>
>>14894330
Yeah and Io is blond, pilots an obscenely fast MS, enjoys it, and comes from money.

They might as well have given him a mask with that shiny new Gundam
>>
>>14894424
Good shit.
>>
File: Igloo22_header[1].jpg (87KB, 620x830px) Image search: [Google]
Igloo22_header[1].jpg
87KB, 620x830px
I still think Yandell's tank company vs the White Ogre is one of the best things to come out of OYW side material
>>
>>14895518
those two are gonna have a swell time when the backblast hits
>>
>>14890246
But how do we sell model kits like that?
Hardgraph is a super niche line.
>>
>>14890447
Two in IGLOO 2.
>>
>>14890246
This is all I've ever wanted from gundam
>>
>>14890380
me too bro, my exact thought when watching that episode for the first time about a month ago
>>
>>14896801
To be honest it's either getting your ass blasted off from a rocket launcher, or getting pasted from the Dom's leg thrusters.
>>
>>14890294
Honestly where the fuck is this from.

>>14890295
Zakus aren't spindly legged AT-STs, they actually have stability in rough terrain.
>>
>>14897518
Owari no Seraph. Those are demonic bows, if that makes any sort of difference. Vampires are also the ones piloting the helicopters.
>>
>>14890246
>want a Gundam OYW side series where its literally just foot soldiers

you mean like Igloo ?
>>
>>14890294
I don't understand this webm
>>
>>14897675
The arrows are magic, but people don't understand that so they rage.
>>
>>14897675
Play Civilization.
>>
File: 1269491276273.gif (2MB, 222x197px) Image search: [Google]
1269491276273.gif
2MB, 222x197px
>>14897697

See, I'd think the tactics on display would be more rage-worthy. Why are those Apaches sacrificing their range, which is several orders of magnitude greater than those bows? They have line of sight on those dudes, who aren't even hiding; all the Apaches have to do is stay at standoff distance and hose them with the 30mm. It's like Godzilla 2000 all over again.
>>
>>14890294
How could I be mad at something so hilarious stupid?
>>
>>14898124
The same reason why F-22 fighters are used for close air support and fire their guns at point blank range in hollywood movies.
>>
>>14898124 >>14898466
Well... they intend to use F-35 for CAS, so Hollywood retardation will become reality
>>
>>14890246
Here you go: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_U.C._Hardgraph:_IRON_MUSTANG
>>
>>14898959
>Close air support means ten feet above the ground
>>
>>14898124
Maybe he was one of many tested on simulators, showed aptitude for mech sniping, and they cross-trained him part way through the war?
>>
>>14898959
The 'Close' in 'Close Air Support' means the proximity to the person calling it, not the altitude of the aircraft delivering it.
>>
File: luther.jpg (34KB, 442x465px) Image search: [Google]
luther.jpg
34KB, 442x465px
>>14890210
>smoking BEFORE eating
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.