[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Other than maybe Evangelion, is there any animu that tries to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

Other than maybe Evangelion, is there any animu that tries to deal with mecha in a realistic sense?
>>
>>14885985
>giant angels fighting giant clones of some kid's mom
Oh yeah Eva is what I think of when I think of 'realistic'
>>
>>14885985

Patlabor
>>
>>14885994
>Teenagers fighting robots is realistic xDDDD
I can see that it went way over your head.
>>
>>14885994

Eva's approach to realism is pretty selective, to be frank

Some episodes you'll ha
>>
>>14886009
>meme arrows
>misquoting with xDDD
That's some /v/-tier arguing, I see my comment went over your head. Maybe you should stick to WWII documentaries if you want realism.
>>
File: 1477081230214.png (448KB, 633x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477081230214.png
448KB, 633x480px
>>14886009
If it was realistic, why the fuck wouldn't they have put Shinji and the other kids into some type of soldier or training program if it was all according to plan at a young age?
>>
>>14886013
>Some episodes you'll ha-
Clinton strikes again.
>>
>>14886018
>They had plenty of time to train teenagers
>It wasn't like they were under attack near constantly or anything
OH WAIT
>>
>>14886014

Not OP, but "realism" is pretty relative when it comes to fantasy/SF in general

If you're gonna sperg out about realism in the absolute sense of the term, then honestly why even bother posting
>>
I tried researching Evangelion last night but couldn't even make it through the first episode without fast forwarding. Corny as hell and full of awful writing. Eva is just complete shit once you've seen the Gundam saga, especially Zeta.
>>
>>14886018
not that guy but IIRC the reason Shinji didn't get trained like Asuka or Rei was because Gendo wanted Yuri to go berserk trying to protect her helpless baby which would eventually lead to Unit 01's awakening.

I don't remember if that's what SEELE wanted all along or if they were trying to prevent it.
>>
>>14886030

2/10

Try less buzzwords m8
>>
>>14886030
*rewatching
Not researching
>>
File: garanteed replies.png (26KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
garanteed replies.png
26KB, 1024x1024px
>>14885985
>>
>>14886030
>corny dialogue
>fast-forwarding
Are you watching the dub on VHS?
>>
gurren lagann
>>
>>14885985
Gravion. It's very realistic.
>>
>>14885985
Evangelion is plebe babyshit.
>>
>>14886070
Especially the part where the Char mask transformed a lady into a twink
>>
Daiguard is pretty realistic with how it handles not just the mech but the consequences of the pilot's actions.
>>
>>14885985
If you liked Evangelion, you'll love G Gundam.
It's even more realistic than NGE.
>>
File: 1472327554594.png (3MB, 2344x1676px) Image search: [Google]
1472327554594.png
3MB, 2344x1676px
>>14886399
Daiguard is probably the most fun and most realistic portrayal of a world with Mecha involved. The most realistic thing is beurocrats being stupid assholes that tried to put profit and image over success of the missions.

Also unrelated but DaiGuard>>>>>>>>>>Eva
>>
>>14885985
>Other than maybe Evangelion, is there any animu that tries to deal with mecha in a realistic sense?

Evangelion and real mecha should never be used in the same sentence. Seriously Evangelion is the epitome of the Mazinger Z, Getter and Jeeg bloodline. It has nothing in comon with Gundam, Votoms, SPT Layzner or Dougram.
>>
>>14886526
It's Ultraman.
>>
Ginguiser is the most realistic mecha.
>>
>>14886807
Well, no normal person can figure out magic tricks.
>>
God I hate you, /m/. Why do I keep coming here?
>>
>>14886526
>implying any of those other than maybe VOTOMS have even an ounce of realism
>>
>>14886847
>implying Ubermensch Adventures is realistic
>>
Not a lot of people on /m/ seem to remember or go back to it but I always thought that FLAG was about as realistic a portrayal of mecha that we've gotten so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMGTOGdMq18

The fights are treated very much like tank fights with the mechs being slow and plodding.
>>
>>14886852
Only the mecha
Without those, Dougram is the only realistic one and even it is pretty unbelievable in the beginning with how Samalin just gives the rebel superweapon to Crinn
>>
>>14886866
>Armored Troopers
>realistic

Being dinky and fragile is not realistic.

Even Gasaraki's tactical armors are more plausible, and they literally run on ancient voodoo technology.
>>
>>14886904
>>14886904
ATs

>Are very small, only large enough to leave the pilot unexposed
>Require maintenance, but not so much that they can't be patched up by the pilot alone
>Have standardized, easily replaceable/interchangeable parts
>Use only gunpowder and kinetic weaponry
>Fill a battlefield niche of being essentially a quickly reloading artillery platform with the speed of aircraft and the maneuverability of infantry
>Are not magically immune to the same weapons they use when said weapons are fired by non-mecha, even when the MC is the pilot
>Have specialized variants for different terrain
>Are highly modular, with different equipment loadouts available as needed
>Take the principle of momentum into account with spike brakes and the kneel form

That's more realism and pragmatism points than any other mecha show I can think of.
>>
>>14886032
Seele were immediately suspicious of Gendo bringing in his own totally uninitiated son at the last second and giving him the important Eva, they groused about it just to say they knew he was up to something but let him keep doing it because it was working and they expected to outplay him at the end.
>>
>>14887165
>with the speed of aircraft
Is this some sidestory OVA meme I'm missing? 'Cause most ATs are nowhere near that fast.

Maybe the same speed as slower tanks or APCs would have made more sense.
>>
>>14886018
To be fair, Asuka WAS trained and she still got her ass kicked. Meanwhile, Rei is basically part one of those super solider clone projects.
>>
>>14886862
I don't think that it's that we forgo about it. It's that we can't have a single thread about it on here without 90% of said thread being people screaming that it's overrated and "pretentious."
>>
>>14886008
This.
>>
>>14887589
Alright, I'm not actually sure that they're that fast, but the skates do seem to allow them to move faster than a standard artillery platform or else there would presumably be more actual tanks in VOTOMS
>>
>>14887648
It's more maneuverability than speed that makes ATs desirable. They top out somewhere around 80 km/h.
>>
>>14886866
Dougram is pretty unrealistic given how banged up it should be. Sometimes Crinn tanks like 5 hits and only his arm gets disabled.

Actually something that irks me about this is how Samalin says that the bazooka he made can pierce even Dougrams armour. But if an advanced handheld weapon can do so, then surely a mounted cannon is at least on par with it. But we see other combat armours hit Dougram and fail to pierce.

Good show though.
>>
>>14885985
>>
>>14886030
>when you're a shitposter and you have to false flag as a zeta fag to continue the le zeta is bad meme
I hope hiro removes this board
>>
>>14887732
>i-i-if I call opinions I don't like memes they don't count, r-right?
>>
>>14886021
One of the few election jokes that actually made me laugh. Well done!
>>
>>14885985
ok, i'll take the bait

Patlabor
Votoms (the mecha only)
Dougram
Gundam 0080
Gundam 8th MS Team
>>
>>14886904
>Gasaraki
>realistic

I love this meme

Just kidding, the show relies on tank crews being almost as big of mooks as those poor bastards in MS IGLOO. I like the show, but come on.
>>
>>14886030
>Baiting this hard
>>
Why wouldn't Gendo just says "I'm proud of you, Shinji" and like, buy him a used car?
>>
>>14890434
>le bait meme
Face it /a/ fag, Evangelion is shit once you are an adult
>>
>>14890427
They got ambushed.

What would you do if a giant human did tactical donuts while shooting LOSAT rockets at you?
>>
>>14885985
but eva's are not mechs
are you talking about having them linked for power ?
wich makes them really shitty mechs
why aren't they control from a distance since they're linked no need for the pilot to be inside ?
>>
>>14890439
Because Gendo has a reverse Oedipus complex and was jealous of how much time Yui spent with Shinji.
>>
>>14890452
>Ambushed
>Advancing across open ground in front of an entire brigade of armoured infantry and cavalry without being torn to pieces.
>>
File: 1467575241236.png (219KB, 827x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1467575241236.png
219KB, 827x1050px
>>14886030
>Eva is just complete shit once you've seen the Gundam saga, especially Zeta.
>>
>>14890532
>a parked convoy waiting to roll into Begilstan at daybreak
>dealing with an enemy they've never seen and have no experience fighting
>one that can move about as well as, in some ways better than, an armored combat vehicle on open terrain
>while also lugging anti vehicle ordinance

They didn't have a plan to deal with TAs what with never having encountered them before.
>>
>>14890518
Okay, that pretty well spells out his indignance toward his own child. Yet all his planning, and Gendo couldn't just lie to his kid to make him more malleable.
>>
>>14890555
>Parked convoy

That was a brigade in a laager area in an active combat zone about to advance against enemy forces. It was done poorly because the writers didn't know how you're set up in such a situation but it's absolutely textbook that you're dispersed in such a way to allow you to react instantly to enemy action. In addition, the Fakes/TAs weren't moving fast enough to actually avoid 90s gunnery computers.

I'm not saying Gasaraki's a bad show; I like it a lot, but the writers set it up poorly and could have really shown off the Fakes in a better situation. Like, for example, advancing up a wadi or an actual river at zero hour to engage that force as it was crossing an obstacle or had them tear up a smaller force or a recon detachment.

Ultimately, it's a robot show and robots are cool and so on. Whining about realism in a robot show is pointless. But the scene's nonsense and any semi-competent military would never have let that happen.
>>
>>14890558
He did. Once. Over the phone from the other side of the planet. It's only distance that makes Gendo look any less socially anxious than his son.
>>
File: 004.jpg (893KB, 1024x1030px) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
893KB, 1024x1030px
>>14887165
IMO I think the mecha designers paid a little more attention to the physics of 0-G combat than a lot of other shows do. The rocket backpacks Scopedogs wear seemed like something I could see IRL space vehicles using, with the location of the nozzles enabling it to turn around efficiently in space.
>>
>>14885985
>>14885985
>Evangelion
>ealistic sense
eva has the most retarded fan base of all times
>>
File: 1477229988751.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477229988751.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
>>14885985
Eva isn't even /m/
>>
>>14886866
>Only the mechaWithout those, Dougram is the only realistic one and even it is pretty unbelievable in the beginning with how Samalin just gives the rebel superweapon to Crinn

Well Crinn had a basic military training in giant mecha and he wants to fight for Deloyer.
He's the right choice and Samalin later in the series explains why he decided to give the Dougram to Crinn.
It sure beats the guy stumbled upon a giant robot (read the instruction manual in 5 seconds) and decided to wage war on the galaxy beating all the enemy's aces trope.
>>
>>14890630
I'll agree with that but the problem I've had with that is, myself having never seen Votoms, ATs never looked airtight.
>>
File: 006.jpg (1MB, 1024x1423px) Image search: [Google]
006.jpg
1MB, 1024x1423px
>>14890722
I'm not sure if they are, but I'm pretty sure the pilot suits double as space suits as well.
>>
>>14890701
Sure he explained it, but realistically, he'd be a bit more suspicious of the enemy leader's son wanting to join their movement and he certainly wouldn't give that guy the most important position in his entire organization. He would have been royally fucked if Crinn had been insincere.
>>
File: what is decon - Copy.png (5KB, 465x72px) Image search: [Google]
what is decon - Copy.png
5KB, 465x72px
>>14885985
Justify by which branch of engineering the "mechs" which are essentially cyborgs made from alien bio material logically speaking and the prime reason why they are so volatile of NGE are realistic?

then elaborate how come NGE Deals with mecha in a realistic sense when by design it bears no resemblance to a typical mechanical contraption and takes toll on the pilot by design anyway?
>>
File: 1476659179108.gif (955KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1476659179108.gif
955KB, 360x360px
>>14885985
>>
>>14886030
My thoughts exactly. When you know that Anno was a huge Tominofag it makes even more sense. He tried to do the same thing Tomino did with his themes and characters but all we got was babby's first psychologocal anime.
>>
Who the fuck cares?

Gureen Laggin is the only good mecha anime ever made.

Am I being a no life faggot determined to futher reduce the quality of this board correctly?
>>
>>14886026
first angel attack after the children were born was 14 years later. they had plenty of time to train
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.