[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unsure if this was posted before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: patlabor_reboot-1200x675.jpg (146KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
patlabor_reboot-1200x675.jpg
146KB, 1200x675px
New preview for the Patlabor Reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXbih2a8uKo

I'm liking what I see
>>
>>14863154

is that suppose to be Nao or Ohta making all those faces? I don't remember Nao being like that in the original.
>>
>>14863154
looks passable

i mean come the fuck on guys we got more patlabor

and possibly affordable toys too
>>
>>14863154
I'm liking what I hear!

If it's "headgear", does that mean all the big heads behind the original works are back?
>>
>>14863506
New characters.
>>
>>14863154
>it's just a 10 minute short film

>Japan Anima(tor)'s Exhibition (Japan Animator Expo), the anime shorts project from Hideaki Anno's Studio Khara and the media company Dwango, announced on Friday that it will release a short animation titled "Mobile Police Patlabor Reboot." The 10-minute short will debut as an extra during Japan Animator Expo's one-week screening event beginning on October 15.
>The screening event will take place at Tokyo's Shinjuku Baltic 9 and Osaka's Umeda Burg 7. The theaters will sell a special "early theater edition" Blu-ray Disc, which includes art by Naoyuki Asano and storyboards by Yasuhiro Yoshiura. This Blu-ray disc will also include a soundtrack CD and will cost 7,000 yen (about US$67). A limited edition Blu-ray Disc with the same extras will ship on October 26 for 5,000 yen (about US$48), and a DVD will ship on the same day for 3,000 yen (about US$29).

fook
>>
>>14863154
>CG
>>
>>14863962
Ah well, even a little Patlabor is fun.
>>
looks good.
>>
>>14863154
I find it hard to get excited about this since it's only ten minutes.
>>
>>14863962
$67 for a 10 minute with special features

For fuck's sake, Japan
>>
Man, FMP IV is the only decent announcement in a while, the rest have been total disappointments.
>>
>>14865466
Time Bokan 24 turning out to be stupid fun like most pre-Yoru no Yatterman installments could also count, at least.
>>
>>14863154
>3D mecha
>>
>>14863154
Looks like they put in efforts to make the CG blend in with the visual, I am OK with it so far
>>
>>14863154
Looks a lot better than I was expecting. If it's good, I hope it leads into something more.
>>
>>14863154
Why is the mc a guy now? Why couldn't they just stick to femc?
>>
>>14868051
Looks like a totally new cast. I don't blame them, Kanuka's VA died and the rest might be getting a bit too old now. There would be riots if they recast people like Noa, Asuma and Goto so I guess they decided to avoid the issue entirely.
>>
>>14868054
They could still stick with the theme of a femc for the new cast instead of switching to a guy. It just feels like they wanna bank in on that muh self insert crowd.
>>
>>14868059
The live-action show already cloned the original cast, they may have felt that they had to try something different. But not too different since the Asuma replacement is now a chick instead.
>>
File: tmp_5401-241511709646906.jpg (47KB, 225x319px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5401-241511709646906.jpg
47KB, 225x319px
>>14863154
Patlabor is a product of the late 80s early 90s. The anime industry and indeed it's audience are completely different now. Recapturing the spirit of Patlabor is impossible imo. I felt the same with Berserk and Arslan.

Sometimes things end.
>>
>>14863154
guys
listen,
listen,
guys,
what if,
what if goto was a girl?
>>
>>14863962
they didn't pay anno enough.
>>
>>14868079
I think it's the inherent optimism of the IP that defines it. The movies move away from this a bit, Patlabor 2 and 3 in particular, but even at its darkest point, life just goes on in Patlabor. It meets the future and technology with a wide-eyed idealism that is seemingly lost today. I think it can be recaptured, but selling it again to a modern audience would be far more difficult.
>>
>>14868086

What the fuck are you on, dude? It constantly showcases technology as massively destructive. It's not "wide-eyed idealism and optimism", it's just the usual light-hearted tone that a comedy requires.
Shit gets destroyed, but it doesn't matter because it's a slice of life comedy.
And it's not like that naive optimism for technology has disappeared at all, anyway. The reason why it's hard to sell to a more contemporary audience is because it doesn't look like a video game crossed with an idol JAV.
>>
>>14868096
>It constantly showcases technology as massively destructive
Anon, Terminator does that. Patlabor shows technology as occasionally misused and abused, but ultimately a very good thing.
>>
>>14868086
CGI mechs piloted by 15 year old girls. That's how you'd sell Patlabor to the audience of 2016.
>>
>>14868118
No it doesn't. It just has big robots because it's a cool premise for a show.
>>
>>14868139
Patlabor is more about the people working at the special police unit and their crazy adventures.

Seriously the characters and their interactions with each other makes it special.
>>
>>14868139
Then why bother making something as big as the Babylon Project part of the backstory? Why make it about good people using technology for good reasons? Why end every fucking episode with an optimistic statement about what the future may hold?
>>
>>14868136
How do you make a 15 year old police officer?
Dressing an idol into uniform, for a day, doesn't count.
>>
>>14868233
Mmm how do you make a 15 year old pilot a Gundam?
>>
>>14868197
Oh yeah the babylon project
that turned out good
>>
>>14868397
Kill their family and convince them that they're a newtype?
>>
>>14868397
Attack their home, leading them to the abandoned hangar of the pilotless Gundam?
>>
>>14863154
Is it just me or are these "new characters" just genderswapped versions of Noa, Asuma, and Goto?
>>
>>14868086
>wide-eyed idealism that is seemingly lost today

I feel like that was kind of why Patlabor 2 was so dark compared to the rest and why it fit to end the animated canon there.

Patlabor's optimism really is of a piece with the optimism of 80's japan. P2 came out after the bubble popped, and it shows.
>>
>>14869195
P2 was definitely a cynical piece that questioned the ability to maintain its idealism. I felt Noa symbolized it with her "I don't want to be pigeonholed as that Labor Otaku all my life" sentiment.

Then there was the first monolog in PatlaborTNG which, if I remember right, was pretty much YEAH GIANT ROBOTS SUCK THESE DAYS, YEAH THEY LOST THEIR PURPOSE IN AN AGE OF CONVENTIONAL TECHNOLOGY REGAINING DOMINANCE, BUT FUCK IT I LOVE LABORS, AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
>>
>>14869205
>Then there was the first monolog in PatlaborTNG which, if I remember right, was pretty much YEAH GIANT ROBOTS SUCK THESE DAYS, YEAH THEY LOST THEIR PURPOSE IN AN AGE OF CONVENTIONAL TECHNOLOGY REGAINING DOMINANCE, BUT FUCK IT I LOVE LABORS, AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

That whole monologue felt like Oshii himself going "Yes, I'm a cynic, but that can't stop be from being a fucking nerd and I love it."
>>
>>14869205
>P2 was definitely a cynical piece that questioned the ability to maintain its idealism.

If anything, it kind of flipped on it. Technology in P2 basically gets presented as a source of illusion or deception that people l
>>
>>14869221
*that people wind up being ensared by.

I actually remember watching an interview with Oshii on the P2 LE set, and he mentioned that GitS is basically meant to be of a piece with P2, and I can see it. Both present modernity as basically dream-worlds.
>>
>>14869226
I totally buy that for GitS where Motoko gets ensnared by the mysterious glamor of a living meme, but P2 seems more like a very straightforward political thriller that has little to do with technology.
>>
>>14869250

It's a lot less overt, but its there. I feel like Tsuge's ending speech is a big giveaway, as well as the constant visual focus on computers, TVs, virtual interfaces, surveillance feeds, etc.
>>
>>14869195
It's also because Patlabor TV, OVA1 and the first movie were made in the middle of Japan's biggest economic upturn. Patlabor 2 came about right as the bubble began to burst.
>>
robocop
>>
It has nice pre-orders as far as I know, something like 5k, which is really good for a short. Let's hope that it will lead to future announcements.
>>
>>14863154

A little too bright and the characters faces are dreadful. Animation for machines looks fine.
>>
Was the live-action series any good?
>>
>no Noa
Fucking dropped
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.