[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gundam Unicorn and Char's Counterattack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

So why was one of the main s̶h̶i̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ selling points of this series was that it "took place 3 years after Char's Counterattack"? It didn't even touch upon it as much as I expected it to, especially since Gundam Unicorn was conceptualized more or less 20 years after CCA and none of the other UC Gundam series touched upon the aftermath of CCA whereas they were just filler (Gundam 0080, 8th MS Team) or filled in a few blanks (Gundam 0083).

At the very least, I saw it as simply another tale in the rather sizeable "bible" that is the Universal Century.
>>
File: 147385957617.jpg (140KB, 640x573px) Image search: [Google]
147385957617.jpg
140KB, 640x573px
>>14857648
>>
Because this kept it close to the Zeon conflict without going into the Zeon-less post UC.

And it had numerous tiebacks to the previous conflicts, with everything from talk of the Axis shock, to the return of the Nahel Argama, to Mineva being a lead, to Bright's return, to answering if Amuro/Char survived, even.
>>
That's pretty much it. And cashing in on the Gundam 30th and 35th anniversaries with reused themes and elements from prior Gundam stories.

Of course nothing really touches upon CCA. It's meant to be an endcap on an era.
>>
>>14857648
Why does he look like Kamille?
>>
Yes anon, it was milking of the cash cow.
Why do you think they asked in an online poll about which Gundam novel or manga fans want to see nest?
They are running out of ideas.
>>
>>14860951
no
>>
>>14861009
>Yes anon, it was milking of the cash cow.Why do you think they asked in an online poll about which Gundam novel or manga fans want to see nest?They are running out of ideas.

So they're running out of ideas and the answer is IBO ? The cure is worse than the disease.
>>
>>14861133
They should make more weird takes on gundam like G
>>
>>14861294
For that they need a bold/eccentric director. The last time they hired one for Gundam was Kou Matsuo, but it was to adapt Thunderbolt. Maybe they'll have him helm next year's major Gundam?
>>
>>14857648
Because it wants to appeal to both hardcore UC elitists and the new generation SEED babbies.
>>
>>14861133
>So they're running out of ideas and the answer is IBO ?

No. They are wondering what to do next after IBO because I highly doubt it will get another season. Producing something that fandom will eagerly look after demanding it for many years seems to be a safe strategy.
>>
>>14861548
By that logic you might as well confirm Crossbone right now and be done with it.

Holy fuck they'd need to fix it though. Crossbone is shit.
>>
>>14861556
I think they are bidding their time.
>>
>>14861556
The biggest problem I see with Crossbone is the enemy designs. The Gundam suits will sell fine but they're going to need to take some huge liberties with the enemy designs to make them appeal to the same market as the Zaku.
>>
>>14857648
Because the next big event in the UC timeline is F91, and by F91 the memes of Zeon and Deikunist ideology are unquestionably put to rest.

Unicorn continues off of CCA, which is mostly the closing act of the relationship between Char and Amuro, to focus on how up to this point the Universal Century has been a cycle of violence centered around colonial independence, Zeon revivals, Federation crackdowns on those revivals, and the newtype question.
>>
>>14857648
Unicorn is a non-canon AU, just like Thunderbolt.
>>
>>14862325
> unicorn and thunderbolt are non canon

It's time to stop.
> but..the manga creator said thunderbolt was non canon!
He was told to go all out and disregard canon if need be. Neither Sunrise nor anything Bandai have dubbed EITHER unicorn or thunderbolt as being outside the UC. in fact, both japanese pages list them as strict UC, with other non UC works being marked. I don't know what's worse, inconsistent gundam power levels deflating your nerd boner or the insistence that 0079 is untouchable.
>>
File: 1470503420835.jpg (48KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
1470503420835.jpg
48KB, 400x460px
Instead of creating a new thread I'll just ask here.

Since the revelation of the Laplace Box giving a "conclusion" to the problems that loomed the "main" UC Gundam series (from 0079 to CCA) then how do the events that follow afterward (Hathaway's Flash, F91, Crossbones, Victory, etc) fit in "logically" with the aftermath of Unicorn? You would think a revelation as big as that would have big ripple effects for the UC universe afterwards.

Because honestly, this series just feels like a self contained ending to what began in the original 0079 in order to stroke the nerd boners of fans who've been dilligently following UC Gundam from the beginning, all while not giving a fuck about all the other events that take place.

Also, with an organization as big and seemingly important as the Vist Foundation. Why does it feel that it was just shoehorned just for the sake of the plot/make them look important? If they were /that/ important, why was no effort made to make them organically fit into the UC universe like they did with the Box? You expect me to believe that an important and influential organization such as the Vist Foundation just sat back and chilled while everyone else was blowing each other half to hell?

That being said, I do find it interesting that this series all spawned from one fan's idea at the very least though.
>>
>>14862392
>You expect me to believe that an important and influential organization such as the Vist Foundation just sat back and chilled while everyone else was blowing each other half to hell

That's one of the aspects of Unicorn that I didn't get. The story establishes this powerful organization has stayed in power for nearly a century but it just feels like it's been tacked on for the sake of it as the story made little to no effort explaining their influence to the already established Universal Century universe.

Also I did find it funny how they just stood by untouched while the cosmos was pretty much at war with one another this entire time.
>>
>>14862392
Why not?

After Unicorn, the EF gradually loses in power, and there was peace until F91.

It also shows how Zeon idealism and the concept of NT being dead, just like in Late UC shows.
>>
>>14862392

> That being said, I do find it interesting that this series all spawned from one fan's idea at the very least though.

If you're referring to Unicorn, it wasn't. Fukui was hired to write a series of novels, with the goal of animating the clearly laid out from the start and a committee was almost certainly responsible for story beats he had to meet - since they wouldn't hire someone to write something they fully intended on animating within dictating the content so as to ensure it met their standards and would generate profit.

Never mind that Fukui has stated he thinks elements of the finale of Unicorn are stupid, like Banager becoming a God.
>>
>>14862873
Fukui is too grounded for that, unlike Tomino where Char and Tomino become NT gods.
>>
>>14862878
>Char and Amuro*
>>
>>14862873
Pls that ending was Fukui shoving in his fanboner for Ideon pretty hard with the whole "godlike machine slaps around puny spaceships" routine.
>>
>>14862890
Tomino would just blow them up, Fukui just disabled them.
>>
>>14862890

He may have put his mark on the events that transpired, but those events didn't happen by his choosing and he's publicly stated it as a terrible thing.

http://pastebin.com/eT7jMp7N

> Fukui says that a certain recent Gundam became a god too and implies that it was terrible.
>>
>>14862873
>[citation needed]
>>
>>14862355
You sound like a twat.
Thunderbolt being canon would be the most retarded thing ever. No other OYW side story is as damaging to that part of Gundam as it is.
>>
>caring what Mr. 'MUH IMPERIALIST NIPPON DINDUNUFFIN' Fukui thinks
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.