[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the general opinion on Gundam 00 /m? First season goes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 23

File: Graham aker.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Graham aker.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
What is the general opinion on Gundam 00 /m? First season goes pretty decently then season two fucks it up?

I've been looking for a gundam series to show to a friend who has never seen a mech anime.
>>
>>14853959
You already described the general opinion.
>>
>>14853959
>First season goes pretty decently then season two fucks it up?
good job op you already figured it out.
>>
Gundam 00 S2 gets a lot of undeserved hate. Yeah it wasn't up to the standards of s1, but it wasn't bad. There was character development, pretty cool fights, and the only reason people seem to hate it was because it went back to the old Gundam formula.
>>
>>14853959
Hello cued on time daily to weekly 00 hate thread.

>Please give me an opinion on a show, /m/! I can't form one myself and I need a consensus!

>>14853998
Indeed 00 S2 was fine outside of some hiccups. Its all overblown hyperbole by the average neo-/m/ poster now.
>>
File: 1347249765713.jpg (144KB, 960x864px) Image search: [Google]
1347249765713.jpg
144KB, 960x864px
>>14853998
Really it's that we went from something fresh, where tons of people myself included were rooting against the gundam pilots while it was airing. Then we're back to Remember the Titans.
>>
>>14853959
I don't think my opinion is the general opinion, but I was lukewarm towards S1 until the finale, once the finale hit I was tearing up. Conversely, I enjoyed S2 from its start to sometime after those guys captured the African space elevator.

I thought the movie was pretty good, I liked the ELS, and I thought it made up for the anticlimaxes at the end of S2, like Graham not having ended his character arc beyond "Colonel, I managed to avoid sudoku."
>>
>>14853998
>only reason people seem to hate it was because it went back to the old Gundam formula.
That's kind of a big problem when when the first season was such a new and fresh take on things.

Also keep in mind this was the first show after Destiny so we had two massive rehash shows followed by something brand new that then decided to become rehash city again.
>>
I liked S2 outside of the Titans showing up again, not doing anything more with Lyle being a double agent and what they did with Hal/Al.

The last one in particular was brutal.
>>
File: 00_lineart.jpg (97KB, 517x998px) Image search: [Google]
00_lineart.jpg
97KB, 517x998px
00 season 2 was fine. The A-Laws were decent antagonists, the Skittle Squadron were fun, the hang up comes from the fights becoming one sided for the protagonists once the 00 Raiser upgrade shows up about a third way into the show and the subsequent results tip it in a way that the other Meisters would be losing and suddenly Setsuna merely has to go Trans-AM Riser mode and wipes out the opposition.

Fuck Nena though and Wang, they got what they deserved. I was happy with how the show finished things for Graham, Saji, and Louise. The romance sub-plot with Lyle and Anew was generic and cliche but I didn't really find it offensive like a lot of people seem to bring up and Marina wasn't a problem given she shows up all of one in every 4 episodes or so as a side character who was basically a "deconstruction" of Gundam princess characters like Relena and Lacus who has no power to change things on her own.

My biggest gripe is how Ali's defeat is stemmed from not him being outfought or outskilled in a duel with Lyle but that VEDA gets taken from Ribbons and the Arche just shuts down so Lyle can wail on him and force him out of his suit.

Also I like 00 Gundam even more then Exia, suck my ass.
>>
>>14853959
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
>>
While 00s2 was a step down from 00s1, I don't think it was as bad as people say. It felt like a natural extension of the first season, dealing with the aftermath of what happened while offering Celestial Being a chance to redeem itself. The only major hiccup to me was Graham going Mr. Bushido, otherwise it wasn't the trainwreck some people say it was.

Even the movie wasn't that bad. I think storywise the show ended on a good note, so the movie only really felt necessary for Setsuna and Graham's personal stories. I don't think we really needed to see mankind make first contact, I felt the whole plan to push mankind towards a state where they could be ready for it good enough.
>>
>>14853959
It's equally good in my opinion, both seasons and movie support each others' shortcomings and tell a complete story so I don't recommend skipping any of it. Overall, it's definitely a more "plot-driven" Gundam series (as opposed to character-driven) and the story takes a LOT of of inspiration from cerebral sci-fi novels like The Foundation series, Ender's Game and Childhood's End.

So if that sounds like your kind of thing then go for it. Just remember to pay attention to background details since the show often doesn't bother spoonfeeding you if you miss it. Also remember to stay after the credits of every episode in S2 since there's often plot important scenes tucked in there.
>>
>>14854067
>The only major hiccup to me was Graham going Mr. Bushido
You know the original subs when 00 season 1 were airing missed a shit ton of references he makes and mistranslates a lot of stuff he says right? Graham was always a weebo. Putting a mask on him doesn't change anything. That was the least offensive thing about season 2.

Still its funny to me after 00 we got:

>Unicorn
>AGE
>GBF Try
>G-Reco
>Iron-Blood Orphans/Tekketsu

Oh man, if only we knew how spoiled we were with 00.
>>
>>14854042
All that really matters is that it doesn't suffer from a psycho pass syndrome where the second season falls off a cliff.
>>
>>14854077
Build Fighters was bright spot though. I also enjoyed Try to a certain extent.
>>
>>14853959
I liked both seasons. The twin Lockon was kind of dumb, but it's really my only gripe with s2. Yeah, I know we saw him at the cemetery in s1 and all that, but in-universe it makes no sense. CB is a large organization that selected elite pilots from amongst its ranks. Pulling in an outsider with neither experience nor training just makes no sense at all.
>>
>>14854085
Psycho pass 2 was completely disposable though, so I wouldn't say it drove the series off a cliff (nor moved it forward either). But yes, Mika should die in a fire.
>>
>>14854088
Glad I'm not the only one.
>>
>>14854090
Lyle did have experience though. Not to the same level as Neil (only when it came to sniping) but still extremely high stats according to Sumeragi in one of the early episodes. He was just acting dumb as a cover.
>>
File: Graham aker 2.png (130KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Graham aker 2.png
130KB, 320x320px
>>14854067
Graham was definitely one of the best Char clones. I just wish the writers didn't sideline him until the movie
>>
>>14854142
He still had one of the best death scenes in all of Gundam.
>>
>>14854077
Fucking Saji Crossroad never got better even after character development. He just kept on getting more and more intolerable
>>
>>14854088
>Build Fighters was a bright spot.
It was average. Would've been comparable to 00 in enjoyment if the ending and the RG fist spam didn't happen.

>>14854231
Saji was fine.
>>
>>14854142
TRANS GRAHAM!
>>
>>14853959
Piece of advice: watch the show subbed. The dub's pretty mediocre and sucks the emotion out of every scene.
>>
File: gendum shitposter.jpg (57KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
gendum shitposter.jpg
57KB, 800x450px
I like 00 s2 almost as much as s1.
I thought Awakening of the Trailblazer was OK, too.
>>
>>14853998
Remember in Beerfest, when Landfill dies and his brother comes to replace him, and looks exactly like him.

Remember how they played that for humor.

00S2 did that instead of putting Feldt into the Cherudim.
>>
>>14854042
00 Gundam is pretty cool, but the Raiser's jetplane part at the back ruins it. Lose that (the wing binders are OK) and it'll be alright.

>>14855177
>putting Feldt in the Cherudim
Oh, believe me, I want that too. Then again, think of how easily it could have gone wrong. As far as we know, Feldt has never had any Gundam training, so she'd be lagging behind until some critical moment in the series. Character interactions would probably suffer along the way, with Tieria going "HURR NOT FIT TO BE GUNDAM MEISTER" among other things.
>>
>>14853998
>and the only reason people seem to hate it was because it went back to the old Gundam formula.

Let me guess, the stupid retards that hate 00 for being to much Gundam-formulaic love IBO for its air of freshness ? Or love F-Reco because it was so un-Gundam like ?
>>
>>14855182
>Feldt has never had any Gundam training
Neither had Lyle.
They could have shown Feldt doing the same training scenes they showed Lyle doing. At least it would have made sense that they were promoting someone within their organization instead of pulling in a complete unknown with no qualifying skills whatsoever.
>>
>>14855183
G-Reco was about as (classic) Gundam as you can get.
>>
S1 was a easy 10/10 for me, and for all purposes 00 ended at S1.
>>
>>14855201
Uh...no.
SEED was far closer to 0079 than Reco was.
G-Reco is more like the Moon Moon arc from ZZ.
>>
>>14854085
Psycho Pass was always awful. If retards like you could defend a shitty ass plot twist like brain a jar because Urobuchi was behind it why could you defend Frankenstein? Oh because Urobuchi wasn't behind.
>>
File: I give up.gif (2MB, 400x336px) Image search: [Google]
I give up.gif
2MB, 400x336px
>>14855211
>Its another retard with a bad opinion episode

And a 00fag no less
>>
>>14854077
>You know the original subs when 00 season 1 were airing missed a shit ton of references he makes and mistranslates a lot of stuff he says right?
No? This is the first time this has bring brought up. Even the official subs from Bandai never made mention of the bullshit you're saying. If anycase it still doesn't make up for Mr. Bushido being an overall lame character
>>
>>14855204
What's Celestial Being beer like?
>>
File: hahaha fuck you.gif (1MB, 329x294px) Image search: [Google]
hahaha fuck you.gif
1MB, 329x294px
>>14854042
>>14854013
>>14853998
>undeserved hate
>Hey did you like the morally gray atmosphere in S1
>Hey did you like how the battles weren't just one unit steamrolling everyone else
>Hey did you like that there wasn't a half-assed masked rival with a motivation that had nothing to do with the MC at all and was a good character in his own right
>Hey do you remember that cool guy who died at the end of S1! I sure hope they don't do something incredibly lame like have his twin brother join CB and pilot the same MS as him for no apparent reason other than he looks like him
>I sure hope we don't get a hamfisted romance as well
>Man that hot Chinese girl looks like she'll be super important with all the buildup they've given her! I'm sure the second season will build on her character and not give her a last minute lame reason for her actions and give her an unsatisfying death
>Hey did you like that fact that the antagonists weren't mustache twirling villains who were just doing their jobs
>Man that first season finale didn't answer anything and left lots of things hanging. I sure hope the S2 finale is much more satisfying and isn't yet another leeway for another installment

S2 dropped the ball hard. It gets all the hate it deserves because it turned a potentially interesting setup to one of the most unremarkable and forgettable installments outside IBO all because Bandai pussed out. The movie is a whole nother can of worms that doesn't need mention, anyone who watches it can tell you what's wrong with it.

>>14854077
>spoiled

If 00 didn't come after SEED people would rip it to shreds and nowadays its just the ramblings of nostalgiafags still trying to pretend that /m/ didn't complain about the same shit with 00 like how we did with IBO. Its hilarious how mirrored they were with /m/ complaining about how boring they were and how nothing was happening instead the final fight the only difference is that 00 didn't puss out...at least until the second season.
>>
File: behh.jpg (202KB, 494x740px) Image search: [Google]
behh.jpg
202KB, 494x740px
as a person that has seen all of 00, only one single episode was good. The rest was pure garbage.
>>
File: 1475719753537.jpg (15KB, 243x262px) Image search: [Google]
1475719753537.jpg
15KB, 243x262px
>>
>>14855238
Care to point out the similarities that make it as "classic gundam" as possible? Or are you just going to keep following the tired stereotype of G-Reco fans?
>>
I though the series was good overall. It had some seriously annoying parts but also amazing stuff like some of the best fight scenes in all of Gundam.

The movie was really lame though. Not because "muh aliens in gundam" but because of how it was handled.
>>
>>14853959
I love this show because it taught me a simple important lesson about all of Gundam: that something can be good (or great) yet still have flaws. And that it's possible to enjoy it as such.
>>
>>14855351
>Care to point out the similarities that make it as "classic gundam" as possible?
How about the fucking fact that its directed by Tomino you dumb bitch. You compare about how G-Reco fags are tired stereotypes but the people who hate it continue to prove their point and then you went ahead a compare it to the Moon Moon arc like a stupid son of a bitch, did you really think nobody is going to call your ass out on that?
>>
File: 1473583660267.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473583660267.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
>>14855360
>but also amazing stuff like some of the best fight scenes in all of Gundam.
>>
>>14855360
The movie was fine, in my opinion. But I can see why some people would have a problem with its presentation. It's definitely meant to be viewed as an extension to the series (rumor has it it was originally the second half of S2 before Sunrise got cold feet).
>>
>>14855392
Better than IBO in any case.
>>
>>14855392
What's wrong with that statement exactly?
>>
>>14855390
>Its classic gundam because its Tomino
Not because it has nothing else aside from the MC piloting a gundam, its solely because its directed by Tomino.

At this point its you're a goddamn self parody
>>
File: gundam_ibo_stream[1].jpg (258KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gundam_ibo_stream[1].jpg
258KB, 1280x720px
>>14855397
IBO S2 will hit Gendum 00 so hard, fans will forget the latter exist.
>>
>>14855516
>IBO S2 will hit Gendum 00 so hard, fans will forget the latter exist.

Lol, you're fucking deluded.
>>
>>14855201
>G-Reco was about as (classic) Gundam as you can get.

Sarcasm is not your forte. If people complain about the masked character in the second season 2 of Gundam 00 they by logic they should have complained for every single fucking Gundam show since Gundam Victory came out.
>>
>>14855529
Prove me wrong or I am right. Gunpla even became popular in the west thanks to Gundam IBO.

Gunpla sales and viewer ratings prove my point. Even anime review websites and forum agree with me.
>>
>>14855596
Gunpla became more popular in the west because they fucking aire Build Fighters in their goddamn Youtube channel good god you're fucking retarded or more likely, a stupid newfag spouting random bullshit
>>
>>14855401
It doesn't? Its not even the best animated Gundam TV series.
>>
File: 1470135618509.jpg (111KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470135618509.jpg
111KB, 1280x720px
>>14855490
>Not because it has nothing else aside from the MC piloting a gundam
-Mask rival
-Newtype connection
-Protagonist reads the manual
-A mission that takes them around the globe that ends with them going into space
-Enemy attacks good guys with a new MS every episode
Now please! Refute this claim because I really need a good laugh
>>
>>14855539
People hated Bushido not because he was a masked man but he was a fucking shit character who did nothing but drag down a good one all because Kuroda thought it would be a funny in-joke.
>>14855401
It doesn't. 00 has had this obnoxious motion blur effect that made the choreography hard to make out and was laregly relegated o beamspam faggotry as it went on.
>>
S1 was amazing
S2 tried way too hard to copy Zeta in a setting that has nothing remotely similar to Zeta, and just comes across as stupid
>>
>>14855599
Gunpla became popular due to Build Fighters? Then why it sell like shit? Why it is unpopular like IBO?

Full of bullshit plot armor and beam spam shit. They're not as realistic and action packed like IBO which viewers nowadays wanted to see.

HG IBO is the first in gunpla history to put english in their manual, a irrefutable sign that Gunpla becomes popular in worldwide due to IBO. Not even GBF or 00 did that unless it is a bootleg kit.
>>
>>14855635
Congratulations you just described every gundam in the last 20 years
>>
>>14855648
A newfag spouting bullshit it is then
>>
>>14855654
>-A mission that takes them around the globe that ends with them going into space
>-Enemy attacks good guys with a new MS every episode
Congratulations you've proven you haven't watched a single Gundam anime within the last 20 years
>>
File: Seed_destiny01.jpg (94KB, 658x437px) Image search: [Google]
Seed_destiny01.jpg
94KB, 658x437px
>>14855662
>>
File: Gundam 00 map.png (60KB, 783x396px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam 00 map.png
60KB, 783x396px
>>14855662
Do I need to remind you how they attacked all power blocks across the globe?
>>
>>14855654
>-Newtype connection
Coordinators, Innovades, X-Rounders aren't newtypes nor do they work like them and IBO has none to speak of
>-Protagonist reads the manual
Whelp Flit built it and Mika can't read
LOL Kira and Setsuna
>-A mission that takes them around the globe that ends with them going into space
This literally only applies to G-Reco
>-Enemy attacks good guys with a new MS every episode
Also G-Reco unless you think a different colored Graze counts as a new MS
>>
File: 1298540840711.jpg (2MB, 3321x2374px) Image search: [Google]
1298540840711.jpg
2MB, 3321x2374px
>>14855662
A tournament across the globe, with each country having a different gundam in each episode
>>
File: Manrodi.jpg (112KB, 1212x1005px) Image search: [Google]
Manrodi.jpg
112KB, 1212x1005px
>>14855658
>Newfag
No, I am not, I'm just simply stating the facts. ;)

P.S.

No other mecha can be so good looking as this.
>>
>>14855673
>20 years
>>14855664
They didn't go across the globe nor did they get attacked by different MS every episode.
>>14855667
CB headquarters was in space and they were dispatched wherever Veda told them to attack. It wasn't a road trip since they had access to terminals to get to the locations
>>
>>14855673
>April 22, 1994
>>
>>14855673
>Within the last 20 years
Uh...bro
>>
>>14855681
>They didn't go across the globe nor did they get attacked by different MS every episode.
Anon, they descended on ORb, crossed the ocean and went to Berlin to watch it get nuked and then went to antartica I think before going to space also

>CB headquarters was in space and they were dispatched wherever Veda told them to attack. It wasn't a road trip since they had access to terminals to get to the locations
They are on earth most of the time on the second season running from one country to another
>>
>>14855684
>>14855683
It didn't feel like 1994 was that long ago, my bad, my point still stands though, gundam shows have never been confined to a single place, its always running around the world
>>
>>14855685
>They are on earth most of the time on the second season
Nope. They're mostly in space fighting space battles they only time they went back to earth to pick up Lyle and save Al and when the space elevator collapsed and they had to make a stop.
>>
>>14855263
>>14855269
Nice shitpost, here's the (You) autism kun.
>>
File: 345436776809.png (9KB, 141x100px) Image search: [Google]
345436776809.png
9KB, 141x100px
>>14855263
>>14855269
>>14855238
>If I write like this and over simplify a bunch of things while lying maybe my post will be taken seriously
>Also here's my insane bullshit and I'm TOTALLY not samefagging
Sure thing chuckles
>>
File: 1467898117245.png (339KB, 510x1074px) Image search: [Google]
1467898117245.png
339KB, 510x1074px
>>14855835
>>14855826
>NO U The post
00fags
>>
File: 1475661842806.jpg (48KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
1475661842806.jpg
48KB, 400x460px
>>14855863
Its not working.
>>
>>14855677
A green toilet bowl with arms and heels is in no way even close to the best looking mecha of all time, jesus christ kill yourself.
>>
File: (You).jpg (359KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
359KB, 1280x720px
>>14855882
>>
>>14856610
>>
I liked the movie and the aliens
>>
Gundam 00 was stupid. The first season is really the only thing you could say was "good" and even that was hard to bear because they kept saying the words "Gundam Meisters".

The 00 movie is when 00 really becomes SEED Destiny in terms of writing.

To top it all off Gundam Exia through Quanta are fucking ugly
>>
>>14853959
>First season goes pretty decently then season two fucks it up?
What season 2? There never was a season 2.
Series ends when Graham and Setsuna suicide stab each other and world peace is declared

Rumors of the show ending to a terrible pop song are the delusions of madmen. The movie is an AU of an AU
>>
File: 1469085314803.png (461KB, 870x722px) Image search: [Google]
1469085314803.png
461KB, 870x722px
>>14857112
>>14857128
>>
>>14855204
anon was waiting for an excuse to post this image
>>
>>14857112
>The 00 movie is when 00 really becomes SEED Destiny in terms of writing.

I can agree with the rest but this is just unfair.
Trailblazer didn't have people crying, people crying in flashbacks or flashbacks about people crying in flashbacks.
It also had action scenes instead of slideshows and stock footage.
>>
>>14857211
M-Maybe.
It's a good picture.
>>
>>14857829
>"Lockon, you have to stop, because right now... THE ELS ARE CRYING"

>>14853959
My biggest gripe with 00S2 is that a lot of the surviving non-CB S1 characters do jack shit throughout the season. Graham getting shoehorned into the masked rival role is the most blatant one, as he only has one real battle against Setsuna. In exchange, we get the Skittles Squad, Louise doing a cyber Newtype impression, Sergei's son, and a whole bunch of faceless A-Laws commanders to get wrecked by 00 Goku.
>>
>>14859374
While I like S2, I absolutely agree with all of this.
Graham just comes and goes as if to remind the viewers that he exists.
The whole final duel had no real buildup as a result of this.
>>
>>14859407
Remember the time Graham blocked Setsuna's path, activated Trans Am, said "I have Trans Am!", fought for five seconds, then left?

And yeah, a lot of screen time in S2 was wasted reminding us that Marina/Graham/Nena/Ali/Wang Liu Mei are still alive, but not really doing anything.
>>
>>14859374
>Marie always ready to join Allelujah in fight for justice! This is respect he commands
>Setsuna forget he even had lover. She turn tricks on Internet sites. He leaves broken dreams behind him like a trail of blazers.
>>
>>14859422
In S1 Wang Liu Mei also kept showing up just to remind us she was still alive.
>>
>>14859374
Zinn was wrecking Setsuna until he got the 00 Raiser and had to go Trans-AM Raiser mode on him, nigger.

>>14859434
>Setsuna
>had a lover
Nope.
>>
>>14853959
Show him unicorn
>>
>>14855211
Not him but in terms of tone, setting, and characters G-Reko was a lot like 0079.
Seed just looks like 0079 on a surface level, but if you look at it closely, then it takes all of 0079's plot threads and twists them.
Reco on the other hand plays it very safe in that regard
>>
>>14855670
>This literally only applies to G-Reco
Reco's last arc took place on earth
>>
>>14853959
2nd season was full of hype as fuck blitzkriegs and best Feldt, so it gets a pass.
>>
>>14857112
>The 00 movie is when 00 really becomes SEED Destiny in terms of writing.
I can't agree with this, the 00 movie hate is really overblown.
It continues the themes of the previous 2 seasons and gives a second conclusion or epilogue to the 00 story that wraps it up pretty nicely in my opinion.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.