[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shin Godzilla

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 61

File: image.jpg (120KB, 1242x809px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 1242x809px
Movie summary: http://pastebin.com/pW30aaHq

OST list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ru-wduZ70&list=PL_Bg39cb6VXImKhiTQEB6vUwfPg1vjGD9

"Who Will Know" with lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI

Shin did so good in America they're extending showings, so if you haven't seen it now's your last chance
>>
File: '.jpg (210KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
'.jpg
210KB, 600x583px
>tfw couldn't make it to nearest theater playing it since the theater was 3 hours away and the last showing was yesterday
>still no camrip
>>
>>14852117
i know that feel
>>
File: 1475789913702.jpg (70KB, 550x361px) Image search: [Google]
1475789913702.jpg
70KB, 550x361px
>>14852117
Mfw I saw it twice and my live in the middle of nowhere and my local theater wasnt even listed online
Thats what you get for being a frogposter
>>
>>14852117
>tfw similar
>but hope to get it on BluRay to show to my "EVERYTHING IS AN UNCREATIVE REHASH FUCK HOLLYWOOD" dad to shut him the fuck up about stuff for a while hopefully.

It seems like the kind of film that'd be up his alley if he doesn't pull a #fucksubtitles on me.
>>
File: unconvinced.png (89KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
unconvinced.png
89KB, 720x720px
>man is more terrifying
What did she mean by this?
>>
File: 1476680506915.png (3MB, 1588x910px) Image search: [Google]
1476680506915.png
3MB, 1588x910px
>Got to watch it on Saturday alone since everybody bailed on me due to other things
>Extended showing announced
>Theater isn't having it again
FUCK FUCK fug

This movie has to be experienced on the big screen, but hopefully they'll update the listing soon.
>>
>>14852189
Have faith, anon.
>>
File: tt3jwrspv7dx.jpg (180KB, 1588x958px) Image search: [Google]
tt3jwrspv7dx.jpg
180KB, 1588x958px
>>14852205
Meant to post pic.
>>
File: You Did (Not) Expect.jpg (118KB, 850x967px) Image search: [Google]
You Did (Not) Expect.jpg
118KB, 850x967px
Besides GMK, Shin Godzilla is the first legitimately great film this series has seen in decades. Sad to see some of the reactions from the Western critics and certain members of the Western fanbase. However, I am glad to see that Shin Godzilla challenged people's expectations and provided a breath of fresh air that was desperately needed. It was ambitious and unique. Godzilla has evolved throughout the decades and he'll continue to evolve. Despite the changes to origins and abilities made to him for this feature, the filmmakers remained respectful to the character and series. And without doubt some of the hatred directed towards the film is due to Anno's involvement. He can be divisive figure at times. But people need to work harder on keeping their feelings about an individual and that individual's work separated. Lastly, there are some who have to learn to judge a film for what it is and not for the preconceived notions they have for it. Godzilla has been and can be more than mindless action. Contrary to popular belief, human drama has been and can be good. There is more to a Godzilla film than the scenes featuring the titular character himself. If they suck that's one thing, though at least give those elements a fair shake and don't automatically discount them. I hate the condescending attitude many approach the series with. Judge each film individually.
>>
>>14852189
I have no idea as to the quality of this move since I haven't seen it yet, but the Godzilla design is uses is downright terrible.
>>
File: norman england 2.png (411KB, 639x373px) Image search: [Google]
norman england 2.png
411KB, 639x373px
>>14852257
Norman England is a life-long Godzilla fan and former reporter for Fangoria magazine who has spent months on “Godzilla” film sets and saw “Shin Godzilla” last month at a special industry screening. He notes a dramatic departure in the new film from the series’ traditional pacifistic stance.

“This is the first film in the series to go for the jugular in trying to elicit rah-rah support for the military and sympathy for the government,” England says, likening the film’s not-so-subtle nationalism to the blatant flag-waving found in Roland Emmerich’s 1996 sci-fi epic “Independence Day.”

“Godzilla was originally imagined as a metaphor for the horrors of war and the devastation war brings to people, whether deserved or not,” he continues. “How this new approach will play domestically and internationally is anyone’s guess.”
>>
>>14852260
I'm sorry you feel that way.
>>
File: norman england.png (1MB, 1920x803px) Image search: [Google]
norman england.png
1MB, 1920x803px
>>14852262
It's a militaristic right-wing mess about how great the JSDF is and how they should rearm Japan, that takes every chance it has to insult the US, and depicts women as either sociopaths (the minister and the scientist) or drooling idiots (the "American" lady who can't speak English) while all the problems are solved by tall clever handsome supercompetent men. It's misogynistic to the core and echoes all the problems in Japanese society, especially in the mindset of shut-in loser otaku like the director, Anno. One of the worst movies I've ever seen, period. It's not even a real kaiju movie, because 99% of the film is just Anno soapboxing his politics using bad actors as mouthpieces. There's barely any acting, because the people in the film just constantly spew out non-stop political rhetoric, which takes the place of any form of plot. What little monster action there is in the film is abyssmal- Godzilla's first form is hilariously out of place and despite being CG somehow manages to look like a bad puppet from a black and white era film. The CG in general is pathetic, and what little practical effects there are looks like a child playing with his toy trains. Godzilla himself starts off looking intimidating enough but falls victim to the bad CG when he starts moving faster and shooting lasers at the beginning of the second act. The film has no climax either, as the biggest confrontation is midway through the film, while the final confrontation is done by force-feeding the big lizard some sort of chemical through giant straws mounted on cement trucks. It's so cheap that it's just sad. I am very disappointed.
>>
>>14852262
Please, stop posting this.
That guy is brain dead.
>>
File: CvFKkaCVMAAcqaY.jpg (115KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CvFKkaCVMAAcqaY.jpg
115KB, 900x1200px
>>
>>14852266
But he's a pillar of the community whose opinion matters more than anonymous losers.

https://desuarchive.org/m/thread/14588239/#14592852
>Someone earlier mentioned Norman England's review...does anyone have a link for it?
>His opinion is one I would really trust.
>>
>>14852117
http://www.scified.com/news/shin-godzillas-north-american-theatrical-run-extended
>>
>>14852267
Translation?
>>
>>14852267
She was one of my favorite characters. I love dead-pan performances.
>>
File: CvFKkaDUAAAuKGv.jpg (149KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CvFKkaDUAAAuKGv.jpg
149KB, 1200x1200px
>>14852274
idk
>>
>>14852268

>The author of "Sushi Typhoon: Tokyo Invasion" has an opinion and somehow is important

No, just no.
>>
>>14852268
His personal opinions are pretty much dead at this point. Only the factual stuff he and his friends share matter. And even that might be suspect at this point. Shin Godzilla is a pleb filter. Hopefully this fandom has learned a valuable lesson.
>>
>>14852268
>Pillar of the community
When you say that are you for real?
I always thought it was ironic.
>>
>>14852288
According to /m/ he's super important because he's a pillar of the community, that's why people kept reposting his review from when he saw the pre-screening going on about how the film is militaristic right wing Abe shilling garbage.
>>
File: facts.png (127KB, 2050x514px) Image search: [Google]
facts.png
127KB, 2050x514px
>>14852293
>Only the factual stuff he and his friends share matter.
>>
>>14852301

Yeah, he may be a pillar of the american fanbase which is mostly composed of kids, retards and furries.
>>
>>14852260
Umm, wow......so I finally got to see this movie tonight. The good news? The theater was packed.....many more people than I suspected. Also, some of the special effects were decent. Beyond that.....its not good. I found this movie to be brutally boring. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much talking and meetings and all that. And its no shock but I absolutely hated every single element of Godzombie's design (except the size and shape of his dorsal fins). I hated his "new powers", his splitting jaw, his tiny useless Trex arms, etc. This is the very first Godzilla movie where I have EVER wanted to see the humans win and put the sad sack of nuclear misery to death. I sincerely hope that we never see this "Godzilla" ever again. From the front he looked like a giant walking evil pear with a worm wriggling behind it. I felt nothing for this "Godzilla" apart from annoyance and boredom. There was nothing to like about him nor reward me for enduring all the brutal human scenes. Even the scenes with the military firing at him, Godzilla looked as bored as I was. Just super slow, emotionless plodding that makes Heisei Godzilla look full of life and energy. Im sorry, but this is, BY FAR, my least favorite "Godzilla" movie since "Godzilla's Revenge". I was so excited to see a new Godzilla movie in a theater, but this was not what I hoped for at all and this version of Godzilla is most definitely NOT for me. I am so bummed and truly hope that this is not the direction Toho tries to take Godzilla in. I would need an all new design far removed from this version. Keep the spines and roar and burn the rest.
>>
>>14852266
Hey, remember when G14 first came out, and everyone and their grandmother praised it as the greatest thing ever, and attacked those who didn't like it? Yeah, look how that turned out once the hype train died out within a few weeks.

Within a month or so, this movie will experience the same fallout, and especially once people get to nitpick and analyze every single detail of it. Until then, no need to attack those who feel the movie didn't live up to their expectations or just didn't like it, okay?
>>
>>14852315
I don't think many praised it as the greatest thing ever. It was a well-made American Godzilla film, which is something of an achievement in and of itself. I still enjoy the film.

But Shin Godzilla is still melting faces in Japan, and the hype hardly seems to be dying down. I suspect opinions on this one, for better or worse, are going to remain fairly entrenched in the west, where it's been more divisive.
>>
File: shaft of light incoming.png (312KB, 692x409px) Image search: [Google]
shaft of light incoming.png
312KB, 692x409px
>>14852303
To be fair, as much as I love this meme, the ray wasn't shown in the trailer.

>>14852315
The Japanese have been at it for months now. And overall Western reception has been positive as well. I don't think it'll fall remotely as hard as you might be hoping.
>>
>>14852321
At some point I expect it to cross pollinate with Evaposting.
>>
>>14852315

No, this one is actually good, the only reason G14 was praised was because of a 12-year drought of not having new Godzilla films.

Shin's is only going to gain more respect with the time because it becomes better with every rewatch as you get more and more details and in general it is better built as a film than G14
>>
>>14852325
this film... definitely could've been better. Was it absolutely terrible? No. But was it amazing? No, not really.

While the plot of the film itself was fine, your standard giant monster fare with some blatant political satire added on, a lot of the film's flaws came in the form of design choices. For one, the sound design was absolutely atrocious, with some sounds being in crisp HD and others sounding like they haven't been updated since 1974. Really detracted from the movie. Also, the design didn't always work for me. The first form made my entire theater bust out laughing when it first showed up, the scene where he first "evolves" is really bad looking, and he literally doesn't move his upper body until he fires off his breath weapon, which makes him look lifeless and dull. It also severely drags in the third act, becoming very boring until they actually get around to fighting Godzilla. Also, some of the nationalistic stuff in the movie got a bit heavy-handed in that section, which got very irritating.

6.5/10 - decent flick, but not one of the better ones.
>>
>>14852285
>>14852267
MOAR AUTISMAL WAIFU
>>
>>14852325
> the only reason G14 was praised was because of a 12-year drought of not having new Godzilla films
Bingo. Fans were desperate for something. Twelve years was the longest amount of time the franchise ever spent dormant. So between a serious case of thirst and the first time getting American production values, it's understandable that people were excited at first. But time isn't a good friend to meh films surrounded by hype.
>>
>>14852332

Polemic movies age better than run-of-the-mill blockbusters though and, even if some people have the same opinion as you, others love it for the same reasons.

It is an unique movie in the way it is presented and shot, I don't think I can remember any movie that resembles this one.
>>
>>14852346

Gotta agree. Shin isn't without flaws, but at the end of the day, it's still a better put together movie than a lot of others.
>>
>>14852357
I think the film did well in that it was really fast paced. I actually felt kind of excited during the government scenes because they were oddly action-filled.
>>
>>14852357

You know that when you hire Anno you will have wonderful things but also fundamental flaws that stem from his mindset.

You can tell all the showa music and sound effects was just him playing Honda, he loved that shit when he was younger.
>>
>>14852346
I'd argue it depends on what you're looking for in a film.

Some messages are timeless, some date themselves and lose their relevance. Some big budget effects work can stand the test of time beyond expectation, others are left in the dust by rapid advances in technology.

History will tell where a film lies, but it may take more than a single digit number of years before the call can be made.
>>
>>14852363
>. I actually felt kind of excited during the government scenes because they were oddly action-filled.

Me too. Some of them were actually my favorite scenes in the movie.

Also, Shin didn't kill off it most interesting characters 30 minutes in. The main guy and his task force honestly had the most personality of any protagonists since the honda movies. The only one out of then who felt a bit under written was yaguchi's underling AKA japanese matt smith
>>
>>14852374
This.
The task force was the best part because it was a bunch of outsiders banding together to save the world.
Towel guys pink towel will be missed though.
>>
File: hayao-miyazaki-hideaki-anno.jpg (76KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
hayao-miyazaki-hideaki-anno.jpg
76KB, 1024x576px
>>14852262
>>14852265
>>14852268
I'm pretty sure Anno is flat-out anti-nationalist/anti-war, bro – if his previous work and his mentor are any indication.

>>14852301
>According to /m/ he's super important because he's a pillar of the community, that's why people kept reposting his review
I know it's bait, but one samefag on /m/ does not make a whole community. I've never heard of this nobody and I don't know anyone who has. Take his shitty fanzine somewhere else, please.

>>14852322
>To be fair, as much as I love this meme, the ray wasn't shown in the trailer.
I may be splitting hairs here, but you just posted an image from the trailer with G emitting purple-colored energy from his mouth.
>>
>>14852367
>fundamental flaws that stem from his mindset.

Honestly, his idiosyncrasies this time around honestly worked. It didnt feel much different from when Tarantino pulls the same thing with old western and kung-fu soundtracks. The only time it really felt off was during the transformation scene.
>>
>>14852382
>You will never have a relationship as pure as these 2.
>>
>>14852382

Anno strikes me as being like Tomino. Not a fan of war, but understands that it can be a necessary evil.
>>
>>14852382
>I know it's bait, but one samefag on /m/ does not make a whole community. I've never heard of this nobody and I don't know anyone who has. Take his shitty fanzine somewhere else, please.

So you're an ignorant newfaggot, why are you acting like this makes your opinion more valuable instead of less?
>>
>>14852384

The music from the 1954 movie is godly on its own but that scene wasn't the best spot to insert it maybe.

Heard that Anno tried to make the old tracks sound cleaner but he couldn't.
>>
Yeah, I hated this movie.

In my mind, this isn't really Godzilla. The idea of a monster that continuously evolving is cool, but it also makes Godzilla into something he's not. Godzilla with wings? Pssh, go away Anno, and take your Godzilla tail people with you.

Had Godzilla stopped evolving at the final form we see, I would have perfectly fine with it, but that's not the implication of what we hear in the film, nor from what we see at the end of the movie with the Godzilla people. I also HATE how stiff and lifeless Godzilla is. I also take issue with the movie itself for being overly dull during the second half. Does it have some cool moments? Sure, I liked the Tokyo destruction sequence, but after that this film drops into a free fall of non-stop talking for 40 minutes. It's boring.

I'm cool being in the minority on this one. The movie sucked and it's one of my most disliked of series.

The movie overall was too talky and could've used an injection of Nolan-esque urgency.
>>
Then just go away
>>
>>14852391
Which is interesting because the original score was updated just this year:

https://youtu.be/pAZ1aUAz9og
https://youtu.be/XgSU6MuWKpk
>>
>>14852390
Because his ignorant meme review of a movie that I honestly fucking doubt he actually watched due to the way he thinks everything comes off pro-war when the truth was that it was laying out that Japan has no business running a military.
>>
File: pillarofcommunity.png (320KB, 1105x1076px) Image search: [Google]
pillarofcommunity.png
320KB, 1105x1076px
>>14852390
My opinion is just as worthless as any of the other faggots here, friend. It's no bruise to my ego. You've been spamming the same fucking (review for which no one asked) for the past week. Give it a rest or post something original for a change. We've all seen it already.

>>14852392
I've read this already >>14846855
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjzx7ydRkAA

Join myself, Cruellica Kain, The Kaijuologist, and Advent Nebula as we sit around and spend countless time (80 minutes HOLY CRAP!!) just talking about Shin Godzilla. There will be spoilers and no worries if you can't sit through something this long. :-) However, let me know what you think and if you would like to see more of these in the future.
>>
>>14852392
Seeing the weird godzilla people at the end, was great. It was just a silent shot, and it was really chilling. I thought the way godzilla evolved was done well and it kept me guessing.
>>
>>14852415
A neat project, but it's just not the same. I prefer the rough and shambling sound of the original soundtrack. I'm glad Anno used it.
>>
>>14852268
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>14852484
This.
It deciding to fight fire with fire by spawning its own army was great.
>>
>>14852391
This. As great as the original pieces are, they just came off a jarring.
>>
File: 547768878.png (2MB, 1462x818px) Image search: [Google]
547768878.png
2MB, 1462x818px
>>14852391
Given the scene, the music was appropriate. It was the closest thing in the film to recreating a specific moment from Gojira (1954).
>>
>>14852569
I can't be the only one who thought this scene was creepy despite it being in broad daylight.
>>
>>14852257
Any reason you'd consider GMK to be so high?
>>
File: America.gif (1MB, 393x281px) Image search: [Google]
America.gif
1MB, 393x281px
Fandango shows that Godzilla 54 is playing in New York soon and Final wars is just on there for some reason. Could both of those possibly get released in theaters across freedom land? I would shit my pants if I could see those both on a theater screen.
>>
>>14852315
Anon, Shin Godzilla has been out for months already. The people who are against the movie are people who take issue/hate the genre in the first place, are casual fans who literally only care about Godzilla screentime, or the butthurt older fans pushing an agenda.
>>
>>14852382
>I've never heard of this nobody and I don't know anyone who has.
Dude, Norman England is pretty huge in the Godzilla fandom. Used to write fro G-Fan magazine up until a falling out with the editor in 2002. His reviews for all the modern Godzilla movies became the basis of opinion for a good chunk of the fanbase. Surprise surprise a majority of his reviews were negative minus oddly enough Megaguirus.

He may not be big shit to Godzilla fans who were not involved in the fandom in the nineties up trhough mid-00's, but to say he's a nobody is inaccurate.
>>
>>14852593
This desu.
I mean I would have loved for more Godzilla screen time, but the screen time we did get was memorable and enjoyable.
Plus there was tons of action going on during the course of Shin's story, it's just the matter of seeing it as entertaining or exciting.
>>
File: 1411077610473.jpg (19KB, 404x290px) Image search: [Google]
1411077610473.jpg
19KB, 404x290px
>>14852483
>>
>>14852613

Oh and it shows, the american fanbase from that period of time is one of the, if not the worst.
>>
File: The Human Centipede.jpg (261KB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
The Human Centipede.jpg
261KB, 1279x720px
>>14852613
>His reviews for all the modern Godzilla movies became the basis of opinion for a good chunk of the fanbase.
That's just sad. Don't people have their own opinions anymore?
>>
>>14852312
Well, i'm sorry that you feel that way.
For me, this is the best movie since Biollante and easily in the top three.
They finally got it right on nearly every account. Here's hoping they won't plow the franchise into the ground with meaningless monster rumbles again.

Perhaps the franchise's finer offerings are simply not for you?
>>
>>14852613
>His reviews for all the modern Godzilla movies became the basis of opinion for a good chunk of the fanbase.
What does he like and what does he dislike?
>>
>>14852392
M-m-muh LIZARD!

Because Godzilla was internally consistent over his 62 years amirite? /s
Did you have an aneurysm when he was a hate fueled zombie possessed by vengeful spirits too?
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 399x532px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 399x532px
>>14852185
Best girl
>>
>>14852690
Sheep, man.

People(The mass) don't understand what makes a good movie, game, or type of media, so they rely on outside sources to tell them if something is good or bad.

Plus to add, as much as I love the Godzilla franchise and community, it's very toxic.
Fans will maw other fans just because they have a slight different opinion and or dislike one of their favorite films.(Tohokingdom is a prime example)

Personally, Shin is one of my favorite movies in the series and honestly one of the best it has to offer in terms of Message, Presentation, and memorable moments. There was a bit I didn't like about it, but for the most part it was a well made film that was "Smart".
>>
File: 1476645428690.jpg (219KB, 1132x1698px) Image search: [Google]
1476645428690.jpg
219KB, 1132x1698px
>friend bought a bootleg copy somewhere in my shitty country
>argue with him that it's probably fake as hell because I can't find a single one and even watched the film just to prove him wrong
>mfw it's actually a legit bootleg of the movie
It isn't even camrip quality which surprised me the most.
>>
File: image.jpg (376KB, 594x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
376KB, 594x1536px
I find it so funny that all these oldfag fans and "godzilla experts" are hating and projecting their own shit that isn't even there onto this movie, considering anno grew up with the same golden age they did and put so many honda influenced ideals and themes into it.

Not to mention saying "oh it's anti American cuz whatever" when they never said anything about godzilla vs king Ghidorah and even said it was silly for people to think so

That norman guy just seems salty as well, it's like they're mad that some fan from their generation made a movie in the series while they can't grow out of their own time
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 500x354px
His laser reveal scene got me rock hard
>>
>>14852712
>Tohokingdom
What's that?
>>
>>14852724
>not ripping and uploading it
I'm calling bullshit until proven otherwise.
>>
You just have to watch Blue Blazes, it really talks about Anno's love for the genre, he know much more about it and about what it makes it great than any of these occidental hacks.
>>
>>14852730
I'd rather not despite having the files. There's probably a reason why it isn't uploaded. I don't want to know why especially when I have shit knowledge on how not to get locked up.
>>
>>14852744

The reason is that no one gives a fuck about Godzilla enough to camrip it, so please, help.
>>
>>14852744
Just send it to some russian on /m/'s IRC or something and they'll do the rest.
>>
File: VTS_01_1 (00:38:12.323) 0001.png (377KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
VTS_01_1 (00:38:12.323) 0001.png
377KB, 720x540px
>>14852749
Nah m8. Go watch the film. Have a screenshot though.
>>
>>14852757

Can't watch it, not american.
>>
>>14852725
>considering anno grew up with the same golden age they did
Being actually Japanese he got to genuinely experience it first hand. Far more than any of them!
>>
File: lady in a monster suit.jpg (64KB, 720x570px) Image search: [Google]
lady in a monster suit.jpg
64KB, 720x570px
>>14852762
Evangelion is drenched with the genre's influence. And his take on Godzilla is unmistakably a love letter to the Golden Age films.
>>
>>14852706
Well he hates just about every Godzilla movie since the sixties.

Absolutely loves the Gamera trilogy.

If you've been a part of the online Godzilla fandom in the nineties through mid last decade, you'd notice how an awful lot of fans keep listing '54 and Mothra Vs Godzilla along with Gamera 3 as top-tier kaiju movies that went beyond being kaiju films.

Yet, ask them why and they don't really offer much of a personal reason why they consider them to be beyond "it's good". It's like there's a real lack of personal connection these people have to movies they claim to be fond of.
>>
>>14852757
Not everybody lives in burgerland, you know?

By the way your proof is insufficient, everybody can doctor a trailer still to look like a screener..

>Post a screencap of the closing shot of the tail sprouting Godzilla things.
>>
>>14852771
So you are saying they are fake godzilla fans?
>>
In all honesty, I thought Shin Godzilla was the best film in the franchise since the original, though I'm not at all surprised the reviews have been so polarized. It was an original, yet straightforward approach to an old formula that did some new, creative things without betraying the character of Godzilla and the spirit of the franchise. I'm glad I got to see it while it was in theaters.

It's a good time to be alive if you're a Godzilla fan. The 2014 American film, although mediocre, also had a great interpretation Godzilla. We've got two solid incarnations of the character at the same time which is something that's never happened before.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>14852712
So let's go through the rouges' gallery then, shall we?

>Norman England
Needs little introduction now. A regular presence on sets and reported for Fangoria magazine. Made his own film called The Idol. Total weeb. Kind of creepy. Neurotic old man. Hates Shin Godzilla

>Steve Ryfle
Wrote "Japan's Favorite Mon-Star," which is a fucking textbook on Godzilla, covering '54 to GINO. I've read it from cover-to-cover. It has a wealth of info. Reading it, you will also notice a strange logic that Ryfle has. He takes points off some movies for the oddest reasons, makes unironically hyperbolic statements, and sort of seems like he's forcing it, or only taking it half seriously. He wildly mis-interpreted both Godzilla 2014 and Shin Godzilla. Interestingly, I remember him liking Final Wars.

>J.D. Lees
Creator/editor of G-Fan and creator/organizer of G-Fest. By that, G-fans owe him a great debt. But he is also like the stereotypical twelve year-old Godzilla fan in an adult body. Has baffling logic when critiquing films. Has a personal vendetta against Shusuke Kaneko. Doesn't consider GMK to be a Godzilla film. I don't know what he thought of Shin Godzilla.

When Akira Takarada's cameo was cut out of 2014, J.D. rattled up an angry, spittle-flecked petition to badger Legendary until they put the cameo back in. A fucking child.
>>
>>14852771
Those 3 are good, but these old flags saying "not muh honda" reminds me of the same idiots who say "James Bond isn't James Bond unless it's sean Connery", like Christ grow up
>>
File: download.jpg (2KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
2KB, 160x160px
>>14852781
>August Ragone
Arguably the most reputable Godzilla fan. Brought knowledge of this shit over before the internet age, started several fanzines, visits sets, does interviews, helps with DVD releases, and is an incredible wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately he also holds that knowledge over everybody's head. You cannot win an argument with him because his insider knowledge of tokusatsu makes him better than you. Also a crotchety old man at this point, who goes on baffling rants on Facebook.

Hates Shin Godzilla.

I don't count James Ballard because he is a different generation, and because I've known him on the forums during the Millennium series' run. He's done a lot, though. I would consider him new-guard. Oh, and he pretty much dislikes Shin Godzilla, though not as vehemently as the other old farts.
>>
>>14852781
>>14852786
What is it with all these old fucks hating on Shin?
>>
>>14852781
Honestly, despite his whole vilific thing about Takarada's cameo being cut, JD is probably the most alright of the group. He seems by far like the least pretentious one.

Idk much about Steve rifle as the others other than he helped with the animal icons special, but he doesn't seem NEARLY as crotchety as the other oldfags
>>
>>14852787
>Not muh Zilla
>Where da monster fights at
>Too much humens
>I am literally incapable of seeing this from a Japanese perspective
>>
>>14852787
Judging by one particular comment Norman made, they're all mad that some anime guy directed an entry in their series that is a success
>>
File: 28985337998.jpg (125KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
28985337998.jpg
125KB, 1024x768px
>>14852771
Well if I'm going to be honest, a good number of those are my favorites too. I think think most of the earlier films (Gojira, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah, Monster Zero) by the original creative team strike the right balance of charm and objective quality. Tsuburaya's special effects, the actors/actresses (Akira Takarada, Takashi Shimura, Nick Adams, etc.), Ifukube's scores, and Honda's direction (back when he cared). Both Shin Godzilla and GMK feel like they're cut from that same cloth. And I also have love for films like Hedorah, Gigan, and Biollante.
>>
>>14852787

Envious of Anno living their dream and actually doing better than anyone else that tried doing Godzilla.

Can't stand the genre evolving and expanding.
>>
>>14852788
Ryfle is definitely not as crotchety as the others, just a little... strange. But aren't we all?

J.D. is very friendly and personable, but make no mistake: he is a motherfucker. Lots of inside politics and infighting and favors with him.
>>
>>14852788
>JD is probably the most alright of the group. He seems by far like the least pretentious one.
He caused some drama in the fandom due to things like the John Rocco Roberto falling out, some strange dislike of Kaneko that riled up a lot of the other big kaiju fans, and stealing images from Tokyo Monsters for G-Fan magazine without credit, but as a person he seemed to be the most stable who was in this hobby because he enjoyed it.

Helps that he's seemingly the only one who was married and had kids, so he had a life beyond Godzilla.
>>
>>14852771
I've never heard of these chucklefucks but the Heisei Gamera are actually good movies which means they're fuckloads better than every single Godzilla movie except 1954, and 1954 is a good movie. You're fucking retarded if you think people saying good movies are good is because of some sort of hive mind mentality incited by your shitty personal idols.
>>
>>14852775
This. There's no shots of the tail
>>
>>14852793
You see though, you are actually explaining why you like these movies and giving your own perspective beyond "It's good."
>>
>>14852794

>Can't stand the genre evolving and expanding.

This is basically how I read it. It's the equivalent of a bratty kid who gets pizza for dinner every night and then throws a shit fit when his parents try to cook something different for a change.

For fuck's sake, there are already over thirty films in the franchise (including the American ones) don't you want to try something different for once?!
>>
>>14852799
>>14852805
>he is a motherfucker. Lots of inside politics and infighting and favors with him.
Damn, that's a shame. Really liked talking with him and seemed like a nice guy, even got something punished for me
>>
>>14852781
>J.D. Lees
It always pissed me off that he did the "Unofficial Godzilla Addendum" in G-Fan magazine covering the Millennium Godzilla movies and had it clash so badly with the Compendium.

Like, I know bwing an official book the Compendium had to say something nice about every Godzilla movie, but that was kind of charming. SDo the Addendum shitting on everything of the Millennium era besides Megaguirus felt like like a completion and more fanboy rant.
>>
>>14852815
>punished
Published, hell, that came out wrong
>>
>>14852786
>James Ballard
Nice to know that guy made it in the kaiju community. Always liked him back in the Maser City and Tokyo Monsters days. Shame he did lose his down to Earth attitude tough. He was so fun to talk to back then but now he's involved in so much and a webmaster of quite a few sites that you cannot really talk to him if you are not in the group.
>>
>>14852822
Damn, wow really? I stopped reading Gfan many years ago. Almost want to sit down and read these reviews.

I do own the Compendium and it is a charming piece of almost required memorabilia for Godzilla fans.
>>
>>14852808
Honestly I don't really see how the Gamera trilogy are all that great. They have better production values and more attention to detail than the Heise Godzilla films but they don't really connect to me besides Gamera 2.

G3 has all sorts of problems that seem to get glossed over like the two mysterious Atlantians who amount to nothing and get killed off in the climax and a wealth of uninteresting characters. The effects were great, Gamera looked evil as fuck, Irys was a very unique design. But other than that I don't see how it compares to '54.
>>
>>14852185

She was talking about pebis
>>
>>14852837
Bepis
>>
>>14852836
>like the two mysterious Atlantians who amount to nothing and get killed off in the climax

You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1476329111395.png (522KB, 750x772px) Image search: [Google]
1476329111395.png
522KB, 750x772px
>>14852840
babbi?
>>
>>14852781
>>14852786

Are any of these guys known to dislike Anno? I've heard James Ballard isn't fond of Evangelion or Anno in general, so that probably explains his disapproval of Shin Godzilla. What of the others? This could be a JD Lees hate campaign against Kaneko and GMK type deal.
>>
>>14852836
>>14852844
Yes, they aren't even Atlanteans. Yur jst dum.
>>
>>14852781
I read the books written by Steve Ryfle and David Kalat (second edition) around the same time and it was interesting to see the different approaches they took. Kalat seemed to look at things more positively as a whole, while Ryfle was quick to voice his dissatisfaction with the movies, which I admit made some parts a bit more fun to read.
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 600x400px
>>14852836
It's because Mayumi Nagamine is best girl
>>
>>14852846
I've no idea. Very possible. August especially likes '70s and '80s anime and probably never really got why all these damn kids liked their newfangled robot show.
>>
>>14852846
>Are any of these guys known to dislike Anno?
A few commented on him being a shut-in otaku, but don't think it is anything specific about him so much as Godzilla fans having an anti-anime mentality.
>>
so there will be a full cam-rip?

I don't expect it, because if someone had the guts, it would have been uploaded by now.

I take this a good sign.
>>
>>14852844
What were they then? I have not seen the movie in about a decade because I do not care for it but I seem to remember them going on and on about prophecies, Gamera, and Irys while taking Ayana to the train station and info dropping to Asagi and Nagamine.

Since they seemed to be pretty in the know about all that stuff I assumed they were Atlantians since Gamera and Gyaos were created by them.
>>
>>14852853

I like how Ryfle interprets "vs. King Ghidorah" as nationalist propaganda (even referring to it in his "Shin Godzilla is Jingoist trash" review), while Kalat says the film is a critique of Bubble Economy excess, for the exact same reasons
>>
>>14852861
Atlanteans are dead, anon.
Those two were just part of a kooky cult.

Oh, by the way, the guy, Kurata, is in Shin Godzilla.
>>
>>14852786
I have friends on FB who know august so occasionally I see something's he posts.

Holy shit, it's non stop "my opinion is right because I grew up in the 60s"
And bitching about people born after his generation.I never thought the person from the bbc godzilla special could be so insufferable irl
>>
>>14852861
>since Gamera and Gyaos were created by them.
Before people decide to greentext this I fucked up my phrasing.

I meant Gamera and Gyaos were created by Atlantis. So since those 2 knew so much I assumed they were from Atlantis, not that they themselves created the kaiju.
>>
>>14852867
Man, it really fucking sucks. I only interacted with the guy through the It Came From Planet X forums and like most people there he seemed to have a decent head on his shoulders and was knowledgeable.

Sucks that most of these Western kaiju experts and historians have their heads so far up their ass.
>>
>>14852861
>I seem to remember them going on and on about prophecies

Been a while since I've seen it, but all I remember is the game dev weirdo saying Iris is a "beta version" of Gyaos and that the governemt lady quoted the I-Ching (aka "Book of Changes," a famouse Chinese fortune tellling book).

Don't recall any hints that they were Atlanteans; I always assumed they were just woo-woo otaku or something.
>>
>>14852864
I live how when people call godzilla vs king Ghidorah anti American they completely ignore the fact that characters openly criticize Shindo's company for owning a nuclear sub, godzilla killing a guy who helped rebuild Japan's economy, and the fact that Emmy willingly fights godzilla in the business district and levels it
>>
>>14852836
>mysterious Atlantians
What? Are you confusing Gamera with Godzilla?
>>
>>14852879
>and the fact that Emmy willingly fights godzilla in the business district and levels it
So many people fucking gloss over that fact! Hell, apparently Japanese fans fucking loved that part.

Kinda goes to show that a lot of these western "experts" may not be as in the know on Japanese culture as they try and put on.
>>
>>14852846
The general sentiment among them is that live action is for adults while anime is for weaboo babies.
>>
>>14852885
No I was mistaking the cult people for being Atlantians. I've not seen the movie in a decade so I was mixed up.

Atlantis has never had anything to do with Godzilla outside of a Random House book, why would I be getting Godzilla into the mix?
>>
>>14852879
Exactly.

>Emmy willingly fights godzilla in the business district and levels it

In that fight Godzilla prominantly destroys Tokyo's gigantic city hall building built in the '80s. I remember either Kazuki Omori or Koichi Kawakita saying that the whole point of that shot was to be critical of Bubble Economy era Japan's arrogance.
>>
What was the funniest moment in the film to you guys?
>>
>>14852895
>Koichi Kawakita
I like how the Godzilla fanbase shitted on him for decades because of his lack of detail to sepcial effects compared to Tsuburaya and Higuchi, and then it turns out he may have been under extreme depression and turned to alcohol during the early nineties and everyone feels awkward for picking on the guy now!
>>
>>14852903
Laptop guy freaking the fuck out.
>>
>>14852903
The noodles
>>
File: wtf.png (1MB, 1030x1332px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
1MB, 1030x1332px
>>14852867
Here's a good gem.
>>
>>14852911
People picked on him?

I mean, I've always been more of a Nakano fan myself, but he was a worthy bearer of the SPFX torch

And fuck that detail stuff, Biollante and gunhed have great effects, so did sayonara Jupiter
>>
>>14852903
He's walking now
>>
>>14852920
>literally angry about hamburgers
hahaha holy shit what a fat faggot
>>
>>14852920
Wow, I'm fucking sorry people don't know why some burger from a shitty fast food place had an extra bread

Maybe it's a good thing they aren't eating that shit?
>>
>>14852903
It wasn't a joke, per se, but thought the scene where the replacement PM is introduced was hilarious. There's something darkly funny about the Prime Minister and his cabinet being wiped out and now the head of the Department of Agriculture is in charge of the entire country.

Also his noodles got soggy.
>>
>>14852903
The infinite sub-meetings at the beginning.
>>
>>14852935
But really, what is the extra bread for? I recall eating one out two Big Macs in my life, though I've lost track of Whopper sandwiches, and I don't know.
>>
>>14852792
Which in commentary in particular, I didnt catch that.
>>
>>14852925
still he suffered and almost nobody acknowledged it when he was living.

4chan and fandoms will never agree on anything, this is their unity. Diversity is good, but I know that I will now insulted as faggot.

Single alone ackknowledging the truth.

Furthermore I don't get why a Japanese Godzilla can't be Godzilla at all.

And I am a longterm Godzilla fan. Therefore I can't understand all the negative responses.
>>
>>14852938
I love how they set him up as being incompetent, but in reality, he was pretty great.
>>
>>14852938
>>14852951
Am I the only one who detected a little more seriousness in the noodles line than people gave it credit for? Of course everybody in the theater laughed at this part, like "haha, what a spoiled old man," but to me it felt more like he was realizing that he was getting into some heavy shit.

Obviously it was purposefully misleading, since he ended up as a cool dude.
>>
>>14852951
He wasn't that dissimilar from the first PM, but he was more willing to delegate authority to people who knew better, like Yaguchi, instead of waffling on what decisions to make.
>>
Saw Shin 3 times, more then I wanted to really.
I can say that I'm fine with it, but not huge fan of the second half of the film. The climax was great till the actual climax, tho.
>>
>>14852957
Yeah, it was both a funny, but serious scene. You kind of felt for the guy.
>>
>>14852925
>Biollante and gunhed have great effects, so did sayonara Jupiter
Supposedly Biollante and Gunhead not doing well financially despite him pouring his heart into them sent him into a depression.

Never saw Gunhed but you can tell by the hangers in Mechagodzilla and Spacegodzilla that the dude loves his mecha. Biollante had pretty consistently good effects outside of the very plastic looking building in one scene during the Osaka battle against Super X II.

King Ghidorah on though seemed to have at least one very blatantly bad effects shot that under normal circumstances would not have been approved. People used to assume he simply didn't care, or that Toho was rushing him, but depression would certainly add to matters.

It does suck that his era had some of the most blatant fuckups, but when he was running on all gears he was pretty damn good to me. I liked the look of his effects and it would have been nice if things worked out better and gave him a chance to really shine like Nakano did with Godzilla '84.
>>
File: 1472715300670.jpg (104KB, 700x778px) Image search: [Google]
1472715300670.jpg
104KB, 700x778px
>>14852903
>since you're a bunch of nerds, outcasts, and general pains in the bureaucracy
>>
>>14852957
I feel like a lot of the "humor" that people keep talking about flew over my head. Like, there were scenes where I cracked a smile, but overall everything was very terse and tense. People keep mentioning the scene with the prime minister assuring everyone that the creature won't be able to walk on land, only to be interrupted with news that it's walking, as a gut buster type moment. But I definitely read it more as an "ohhhh shit" moment. I also felt the same way you did about the noodles scene.
>>
>>14852978
>People keep mentioning the scene with the prime minister assuring everyone that the creature won't be able to walk on land, only to be interrupted with news that it's walking, as a gut buster type moment.
Honestly the humor was more subtle dark humor stuff than gutbusting. Some of us did find it hilarious, but the tone was not standard busting out laughing for a majority of moments like that.
>>
>>14852973
>Never saw Gunhed but you can tell by the hangers in Mechagodzilla and Spacegodzilla that the dude loves his mecha.

I just now realized that Kawakita is literally /m/'s guy
>>
>>14852978
The "he can't walk on land" part was definitely funny, but it was then followed by Persecution of the Masses, and gets serious pretty fast.

I think people came in hearing that the movie was funny, so they laughed at the parts they felt they were supposed to.
>>
>>14852982
I chuckled at stuff, but no one at my theater laughed super hard at the humor. I feel like some anons exaggerate when it comes to reactions.
>>
File: 1263144572177.png (127KB, 305x289px) Image search: [Google]
1263144572177.png
127KB, 305x289px
CAMRIP WHEN
>>
>>14852984
Gunhed is sick. It is hella atmospheric and the mecha effects are great.
>>
>>14852903
The part where Yaguchi finally assembles his team, and proudly declares how nice it is to work with people who are results-oriented and don't have to worry about the ridiculous amount of delegation and bureaucracy he's had to deal with up to then.

Then his entire team promptly agrees and unites in their opinion...that Yaguchi needs a shower and a new shirt.
>>
>>14852984
Oh right, another reason some in the Godzilla fandom hates him is because they find mecha "lame" and for kids,
>>
>>14852903
The laptop guy losing his shit, or everyone giving Yaguchi crap for not taking a shower.
>>
>>14852978
I went in not expecting as much humor as we got, but I do agree that it was not gut busting.
>>
>>14853002
>they find mecha "lame" and for kids
What, like Godzilla? The hypocrisy is mind numbing. We all like the series and how it tackles some serious themes from time to time, but let's not pretend that over half of this series was aimed squarely at babies.
>>
>>14852712
I think you don't give enough credit to the hoopleheads. Everyone has their own reasons for watching critics. Whether it's to gain some insight, or not spend $80 on a shitty game, or learn about behind the scenes stuff.

That fan mentality works both ways. Compare the Godzilla fanbase to the AVGN fanbase. Both avidly shovel the shit into their gullets, and complain when something is different. Everytime someone complains about a specific fanbase it seems like they forget that every fanbase is toxic.
>>
>>14853017
>What, like Godzilla? The hypocrisy is mind numbing.
Keep in mind this generally does come from the older fans who barely even like the franchise outside of a couple movies.
>>
>>14853017
Not as much as mecha as anime in general. >>14852889
>>
>>14852312
Cunt.
>>
>>14852973
>King Ghidorah on though seemed to have at least one very blatantly bad effects shot that under normal circumstances would not have been approved. People used to assume he simply didn't care, or that Toho was rushing him, but depression would certainly add to matters.

Usually I saw this attributed to the post-Biollante films using smaller miniatures (since Godzilla got taller, but a guy in a suit is still ~2 meters). Since they couldn't put as much detail on smaller buildings, they looked less realistic than the movies from the sixties when the models were twice as big.
>>
>>14853045
That is part of it, but Final Wars was also at the same scale, and the miniatures look pretty decent in that.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1468567137497.jpg (31KB, 959x501px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1468567137497.jpg
31KB, 959x501px
Am I the only one who gets excited to think of a particular Godzilla being the biggest yet, only to be disappointed once it's actually presented? It never really seems to matter. Only in G '84 did I ever feel overwhelmed by Godzilla's size. I think it's something they need to focus on more.
>>
>>14852973

Vs. KG is just a visually subpar movie to begin with. Not only are the effects not that great, but it's got far and away the cheapest looking cinematography in heisei. It looks like a PBS movie.
>>
>>14853068
This Godzilla is only big so it can win the competition Toho now has with Legendary.
Its a dick measuring contest.
>>
>>14852809
There are(there's even a webm and videos) but none that would be that high quality
>>
>YFW Godzilla's tail started to shift when he was hibernating.
>>
>>14853068
I thought a lot of the camera work did a great job presenting his size in the Shin film.

The thing is because he's so big, it really limits his interaction with the city besides stomping around. It's the whole reason they made him small again.
>>
File: ballardeno2.jpg (31KB, 350x343px) Image search: [Google]
ballardeno2.jpg
31KB, 350x343px
>>14852846
>James Ballard
>>
>>14853083
The distance shots of him were beautiful. They were my favorite.
>>
File: 1454515940078.png (107KB, 361x370px) Image search: [Google]
1454515940078.png
107KB, 361x370px
>>14853082
>>
>>14853068
Honestly I felt this was the first Godzilla movie that really hammered home just how fucking large he was. A lot of the establishing shots with vehicles like during the climax with the straws was the first time I could really absorb that he was fucking huge.

Even G '14 didn't do that to me. However I have heard from people who actually live in San Fran that they loved how huge he was.
>>
>>14853098
G14 size was pretty good in a lot of shots, like the HALO scene.
>>
>>14853045
It's not the scale miniatures to me. Like, KG has that ungodly awful with crazy tracking shot of King Ghidorah flying into Fukuoka.

Mothra was a bit better overall but had that miniatures of Mothra and Battra that clashed with the fullscale props along with the lack of wing movement.

Mechagodzilla had the ultra stiff Godzilla suit throwing Mechagodzilla by the head in the most obvious wire assisted moment in the series. Even the 70's and their lack of gravity pulled off similar scenes better.

Spacegodzilla had the asteroid fight.

Destoroyah had litteral Bandai figures as props.
>>
>>14853098
Some shots certainly did, like the street-level shot I posted. But I think part of it is that Anno frames everything as if it's a human-sized prop. He did the same thing with Eva. Not that that's a bad thing. Edwards does this a little, too. Though there were a few good moments of scale.

You know which movie actually did it for me the most in that regard? GINO
>>
>>14853076
The funny thing is Legendary Godzilla is WAY larger than his officially given height, and this still bigger than Shin.

Seriously, he's fucking huge when you see him in the city. I think they fudged the height over the movie. The airport scene he was about normal height but then in the city fight he was like six hundred feet tall.
>>
>>14853106

Heisei in general really went downhill after Biollante.

As visually mediocre as KG is, it at least had a lot of creative energy carried over from Biollante.

Once Okawara took over, shit just became bland.
>>
>>14853119
>The funny thing is Legendary Godzilla is WAY larger than his officially given height, and this still bigger than Shin.

What are you smoking
>>
>>14852920

Lmao what a little cunt
>>
>>14853116
I think the main thing is when you frame things to show off the grand scale of these monsters, you cannot really show off a whole lot of the monster themselves.

Taking your example of Godzilla '98 into account, they only showed maybe two fullbody shots in the entire movie.

For all the problems I have with G '14 I love the fact that they did basically film things like a suitmation movie, keeping the monsters in frame. It was beautiful to see Godzilla on one side of the screen and the MUTOs on the other all fullbody minus what foreground buildings were blocking.

I think Shin did a good job of the full body and scale moneyshots.
>>
>>14853122
Calculating from shots that place him next to an object of known dimensions (such as the Golden Gate Bridge, a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, or an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer), this incarnation of Godzilla has to be just a tad under 600 feet tall, and 1200-1300 feet long from snout to tail.
>>
File: noodles.jpg (5KB, 188x175px) Image search: [Google]
noodles.jpg
5KB, 188x175px
>>14852957
>>14852963
I've been having to train a new employee for a couple of weeks now. Every time I bring my lunch to work I can't be allowed to eat it without being asked "how do I do this?" or "explain this to me again." By the time I've gotten her on the right track, my roasted chicken sandwich is cold, the bread is stale, and my chips are soggy. The suffering is real.
>>
You know, I think I am actually kinda happy that there are apparently so many people who think Norman England is a literal who. It shows that the stranglehold of some oldschool Gfans is finally waning and means more and more newer fans can give genuine opinions on the movies themselves untainted by the opinions of someone seeing the movie months or years beforehand.
>>
>>14853131
Part of it is in the movements and the focus. There is one weird shot in Shin Godzilla where we walks past a building in his fourth form, in the day. It's a low-angle shot, and feels kind of warped, and is very strange. It looks oddly super high-res, and even Godzilla's head is crystal clear. It feels off.

In contrast, there is that one shot in GINO where he enters the park, also low-angle, and though you can see most of him, you really get a sense of his giant movements. Pacific Rim was real good at this, too.
>>
">wut"
>>
>>14853147
But then shin gojiratwitter account got secretly to get done with it for you guys really...
>>
File: 1444086707438.jpg (17KB, 404x303px) Image search: [Google]
1444086707438.jpg
17KB, 404x303px
>>14853158
>>
>>14852265
>depicts women as either sociopaths (the minister and the scientist) or drooling idiots (the "American" lady who can't speak English) while all the problems are solved by tall clever handsome supercompetent men
What a buffoon. I'm sure someone has mentioned this, but it still bears repeating: The Minister of Defense is constantly worried about the unprecedented use of the JSDF and worried about the legal and civilian ramifications. Among the head Ministers, she's one of the few who never looks like a fool or out of touch. Glaring Waifu is the first to see what Godzilla is and the first to realize he's using nuclear power. There was a whole fucking scene about that. Two, in fact, when she talks about Godzilla supporting his own weight and his nuclear power source, where men try to shut her down only to almost immediately be proven wrong. She's also one of the ones, like a lot of people, to express concern about using a nuclear bomb on Japan and her only expression of happiness in the movie is realizing the radiation won't stick around long enough to fuck up more civilian lives. Kyoko is anything but a drooling idiot. Norman England is doing that thing where a person with poor English as a second language is seen as the equivalent of a retard, even if they're obviously a functioning adult. While that's a cliche in American media, one has to wonder whether Japan has a similar stereotype since she speaks perfectly good Japanese, the actual main language of the movie. She's also a big mover and shaker, is constantly shown to be able to punch above her weight class politically, and is integral to getting a lot of the connections and resources the Japanese need to stop Godzilla.

Norman England is the worst sort of "concerned internet citizen." Everything is couched in terms of wanting better depictions of women, but he's actually just as out of touch as anyone he's trying to critique. This movie had more women actually doing shit than 2014. Fuck him.
>>
File: Godzilla heights.jpg (218KB, 960x1439px) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla heights.jpg
218KB, 960x1439px
>>14853068
Most of my issue is I think Godzilla is behind several decades on terms of height. Too many buildings taller than him.
>>
>>14853193
No, I think that's fine. He needs to be comparable to the largest buildings, but if he's taller than everything, even the tallest buildings, it tends to flatten out the terrain too much. The smaller buildings stop really adding to the shot comparatively. I think shots of him stomping through the city are more interesting when there's more stuff of varying heights, larger and smaller, to add some character. Especially close up shots of him, where if he was too tall nothing could be in the near background.
>>
>>14853193
Making Godzilla thousands of feet tall is impractical on so many levels.

I actually liked Godzilla '84 and having Godzilla deep in the city surrounded by all the skyscrapers. As much of a cliche as it is it did feel like an urban jungle. And no matter how much bigger than Godzilla they are he can still easily topple them.
>>
>>14852099
>>14852117
>tfw I live in Los Angeles and can see it every day if I wanted to
I've already taken 4 groups of friends to see it on separate occasions
>>
File: should be.png (2MB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
should be.png
2MB, 1920x1040px
>>14853237
I'm not saying he needs to dwarf the tallest buildings but I do think he needs to be closer in height to them than he is.

Like, in that GvKG shot he should be closer in height to those buildings directly ahead of him

>>14853250
I'm not saying he should be thousands of feet tall, but his tallest film incarnations haven't even passed 400ft.
>>
>>14852274
I don't understand Japanese, but I'll try.
>o kotoba desuga
Kotoba means word or phrase, desu means "is" or the copula, ga can mean "but"... jisho.com says okotoba means "availing myself of your offer; taking you at your word", so maybe it's something like "that's a kind offer, but..."
>kaku bunretsu
jisho.com says kakubunretsu means nuclear fission.
>nioi masu
"That smells". I didn't have to look that one up, I'm so smart!

>>14852382
There's a purple glow, and I guess the glow could be considered energy, but the trailer image didn't include any ray.
>>
>>14853277
Any particular reason he should be that height?

I mean, for effects reasons he was already pushing things. Interaction with people became all the harder at a hundred meters as is. Not to mention, upping him that much, then why not just go ahead and make him taller than every building in that scene?
>>
>>14852262
>>14852265
>>14852303
Where's the other tweet?
>>
>>14853142
The only Godzilla Expert I know of is William Tsutsui. I saw him give his lecture in person, then later I saw him being interviewed on CNN or MSNBC by phone during the 2011 earthquake. He seemed like a pretty cool guy.

Looks like he's lost a lot of weight since then. Congratulations, hopefully he didn't lose it due to illness.
>>
File: go84.jpg (32KB, 518x731px) Image search: [Google]
go84.jpg
32KB, 518x731px
>>14853277
>>14853284
Hell, I don't even think he needs to be that tall necessarily, I just think we should see more human perspective shots. I actually kind of like it when he's dwarfed by buildings, especially in 84 and Godzilla 2000.

I also think they should figure out a way (perhaps now with CG) to make it seem like his body takes longer to move through a certain amount of space. Something to emphasize his massiveness.

Even still, I wouldn't mind seeing a Godzilla like pic related.
>>
Finally saw the film today, kinda liked it.

My main complaint though, is did Anno really have to use Decisive Battle like 3 times? HOLY FUCK I GET IT ANNO, YOU MADE EVA.
>>
>fast paced
I guess this applies for the start and 2nd landing, but are we going to ignore how slow thing got after goji slept?

I feel that while the politics and goji's outrageous design went hand-in-hand at first, it clashed by the end. At that point the politics were no longer just satire and goji did nothing until the finale. I'm sure the lasering of Tokyo is the moodsetter for that small tone shift, but I still think it got too focused on the political message side which hampers the Godzilla side.

The finale feels anticlimactic. Among other things, the wait got a bit too long and there wasn't much buildup on goji's side due to aforementioned reasons.

Is Shin going to be the most overrated Godzilla film?
>>
>>14853364
>ignore how slow thing got after goji slept?

I honestly didn't find it slow at all.

You kind of come across as assuming that your personal metric for "slow" is objective. It ain't.
>>
>>14853284
>Any particular reason he should be that height?
I don't like that he's dwarfed by most of the buildings in shots. It's cool to see him take the much taller ones down but he also feels too small at times. I mean, in the original he was designed to just peer over the tops of the tallest buildings at the time.

I think it'd enhance the fact that he's a giant monster if he's taller. I mean, his tallest incarnations are:

328ft (99% of Heisei and in Final Wars)

355ft (Legendary)

388.7ft(Shin)

But nowadays, plenty of buildings in big cities are taller than that. If he was closer to 500ft I'd probably be happier.

I mean, as is his heights don't affect my enjoyment of the films, but if he was taller I think it'd enhance him being a giant monster.
>>
>>14853382
I think there's a point where you get him so tall it's farcical.

Having him under the skyline is effective from a cinematic perspective as you can employ the classic "obscure the horror for max tension during the first act" routine.

Bread and butter tension setter, obfuscate the threat as much as possible so that one's imagination is left to wander. The moment you reveal the threat is the moment your cards are on the table in full.
>>
>>14853364
Depends on what you mean by slow. The dialog is always pretty fast paced, there's just a lot of shit going on. I myself felt the movie was longer than its actual run time, so I agree that it's probably a bit slow outside of the really fast paced stuff. It's very dense. I didn't mind it, though.

The anticlimax I did like. It was nice to see the defeat of Godzilla result in people just sort of deflating, rather than the more bombastic explosion of cheers and so on. It's a very different feeling, but I liked how it fit in with the overall movie not so much being about defeating some giant enemy but finally stopping the destruction of the city after weeks of hard work. There's no more energy left to celebrate.

I don't think people are wrong to dislike it, but it helped the overall tone.
>>
>>14853390
I think that PS4 VR demo with Shin Goji shows that his height is perfect. He's huge as fuck, but seeing him appear from behind a building is horrifying.
>>
File: 1476852028103.jpg (1MB, 1361x1892px) Image search: [Google]
1476852028103.jpg
1MB, 1361x1892px
The movie was incredible, one of my favorite movies of all time.
The city destruction scene gave me chills
>>
>>14853390
Not him but I do kind of want to see Godzilla get so massive that it's like seeing God himself. I mean, how many times has his size really made a difference in the various timelines?

The one other moment that really got me feeling his size was the Oppenheimer trailer. The way his hand comes out of the smoke, brushing by the top of building, and then we pan way, WAY up to see his head. The way the sunlight plays through his spines really sells it, too.

MAN I really wish we had gotten something like that trailer suggested. I still like G 2014, but damn.
>>
>>14853413
>armpit hair
Soiled it.
>>
>>14853403
This makes me want a PS4 so bad even though I am a casual Nintendofag and barely play games.
>>
>>14853303
>William Tsutsui
Heh, I remember when his Godzilla On My Mind book came out back in 2004 the online Godzilla fandom trashed it for being casual junk that got it's facts wrong.

"William M. "Bill" Tsutsui is an American academic, author, economic historian, Japanologist and university administrator."

Meanwhile, he is a real life important person as opposed to a fanboy!
>>
>>14853419
>Unable to appreciate a 2D body in all it's natural glory
>>
>>14852380
>Towel guy
Fun fact, that guy is Shinya Tsukamoto, director of Tetsuo: The Iron Man (and a fucking phenomenal director beyond that as well)
>>
File: 003TLS_Masato_Harada_009.jpg (48KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
003TLS_Masato_Harada_009.jpg
48KB, 852x480px
>>14853426
Holy shit. Nice.

Friendly reminder that the director of Gunhed was in Last Samurai.
>>
>>14853390
>I think there's a point where you get him so tall it's farcical.

Anon, he's a giant monster. He's already pretty ridiculous. Making him closer in height to buildings of today is not going to make him any more ridiculous than he already is.

>Having him under the skyline is effective from a cinematic perspective as you can employ the classic "obscure the horror for max tension during the first act" routine.

Which is why you go the Shin route and have him be smaller early on.

Like, I'm not saying his waist needs to be as high as the skyline, not at all. But I like the route of making him just barely peer over taller buildings like 1954 did.
>>
>>14853420
I have a PS4, and the VR is not at all interesting to me. If a full on Godzilla game came out that had a VR mode of sorts, I would get it.
>>
>>14852270
The runs in any theater reasonably close to me are done anon, I'd have to go even further now to see it.
>>
>>14853364
I agree for the most part.

I did like the climax...up to the climax. More so stopped then ended.
>>
>>14853320

Same composer as Eva. Just like Ifukube, other composers reuse the same compositions all the time (even if they're ripped off from James Bond lol)
>>
>>14853426

Yeah, when I spotted Tsukamoto in there I fucking tripped.

Shin Godzilla vs. Tetsuo Dick Tank when
>>
>>14853473
I get it it was just a minor annoyance
>>
>>14853425
No, anon.
>>
File: 1470545588950.png (753KB, 1271x530px) Image search: [Google]
1470545588950.png
753KB, 1271x530px
>>14853320
>>14853473
My favorite thing about the reuse of Decisive Battle is that it's pretty much the "fuck yeah nerds" track.
>>
>>14853484
I'm super embarrassed to say that even though Tsukamoto is my all time favorite director AND I was looking out for him since I know he does lots of weird little acting gigs, I totally missed that that was him and only found out later when reading about it online.
>>
>>14853488
>These are the people that saved the world.
>>
>>14853488
It's like the modern HD version of that 4chan logo with Dr F and TV's Frank
>>
>>14853413
What's the name of this girl again?
sauce also?
>>
File: 8b5a6986f5a283537eb1d2d86a026395.jpg (433KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
8b5a6986f5a283537eb1d2d86a026395.jpg
433KB, 800x1200px
>>14853551
Hiromi Ogashira
That's all there is to it.
>>
>>14853382
>>14853390
I always thought that if there was another series of movies his height would be 125m, or 410ft, that way he could have more of a chance against the other larger enemies like King Ghidorah, Bagan, and Barubaroi
>>
>>14853555
Thanks
and darn, kinda bummed theres no fetish art for her
>>
File: Banana Oil.jpg (239KB, 960x519px) Image search: [Google]
Banana Oil.jpg
239KB, 960x519px
Not sure about anyone else, though I loved the relationship between (Prime Minister) Yaguchi and (President) Patterson. They had quite a spark. Most of the main characters had great chemistry, which really shone during the infamous third act. The film never dragged for me and the tension never dissolved because there was always something going on, such as the countdown until Godzilla would raid again and then preventing Japan from getting nuked.
>>
>>14853570
They had good banter that never came off as too flirty. They were really enjoyable to watch.
>>
>>14853364
>Most overrated
That's always going to be Biolante
>>
>>14853382
Are you retarded?
He's already obnoxiously huge, too huge maybe.
Does it trigger you that there's maybe two dozen buildings in the city that're bigger than him?
He's already taller than 99.% of the cityscape, you wan't him to be nigger than 99.99%?
Talk about comically missing the point...
>>
>>14853570
I liked that we didn't get a standard romance subplot with them. I was so worried near the end they were going to kiss and be all sappy so it was nice to see they didn't go that route.

Something I loved with Pacific Rim too.
>>
>>14852589
Aw shit! I would kill a man to see basically any Kitramura movie on the big screen, but especially Final Wars. I mean, okay, maybe not Azumi, and probably not No One Lives, but Final Wars on the big screen would be my shit!
>>
File: 1466715808373.png (63KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1466715808373.png
63KB, 225x225px
>>14853585
You mean Return of Godzilla, right? It's pretty dull desu
>>
>>14852725
>Not to mention saying "oh it's anti American cuz whatever" when they never said anything about godzilla vs king Ghidorah and even said it was silly for people to think so

I shit on King Ghidorah pretty constantly for exactly this reason. Godzilla's popular in America. G'14 made more in the US that Shin did in Japan.

Making America the bad guy is just stupid. It's bad for business, for starters, and also it's a franchise about giant city-destroying monsters. There's not really a need to have a bigger threat looming over that one.

Shin's more ambivalent towards the US than King Ghidorah was, but it's still dumb to even allow the possibility of being seen as anti-your biggest foreign market. They don't make Transformers movies where China can be seen as the bad guy.
>>
File: tumblr_obonutVbFq1qcqjsdo1_500.jpg (94KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_obonutVbFq1qcqjsdo1_500.jpg
94KB, 500x402px
>>14853570
>>14853579
>I'll bill the Japanese government later!
>>
>>14853604
But they did kiss at the end of Pacific Rim.
>>
>>14853653

Shin Goji and other Godzilla movies from Japan are not made with USA in mind at all.
>>
>>14853691
No they didn't.
>>
>>14853691
They touched foreheads, which in my opinion is lewder than kissing, but still.
>>
>>14853697
>Touching foreheads

Sluts.
>>
>>14852189
>Got to watch it on Saturday alone since everybody bailed on me due to other things
Honestly I'm glad I did the same. Loved this movie and all the old music it used, but know all my friends who would go with me would bitch about the lack of monster on monster action.
>>
File: 723832872320.jpg (336KB, 1600x1044px) Image search: [Google]
723832872320.jpg
336KB, 1600x1044px
>>14852579
> Has one of the better human casts in the series
Yuri and her father were based. And the supporting characters were definitely likable.
> Incredible special effects
Sure it has its flaws. A few shoddy digital effects, visible zipper in one scene, Godzilla's beer belly. Though if you're going to nitpick, it'll hold up much stronger than the vast majority of the competition around it.
> Shot well, has an engaging story, and features great action
I dug the mythological aspect and theme about not forgetting the past. Also, the battle scenes were all exciting. Remember the military's first assault on Godzilla? And I enjoy the Hondasque feel the film has.
>>
>>14853598
>Are you retarded?

Are you?

>He's already obnoxiously huge, too huge maybe.

How?

>Does it trigger you that there's maybe two dozen buildings in the city that're bigger than him?

Not at all. But It's kind of silly when Godzilla is shorter than most of the building around him. far more than 2 dozen most of the time.

>He's already taller than 99.% of the cityscape,

Except he isn't in most cases. In the more recent films.

>Talk about comically missing the point...
Yeah, you certainly did.
>>
>>14853693
Right, but the point is that that's fucking dumb. Godzilla's popular in America. They can make tons of money in America if they make movies with America in mind. American money spends. It actually spends better than Japanese money, literally over a hundred times as well.

At the end of the day movies are a business and sequels come from profits. Shin Godzilla will never make as much as money as Godzilla 2014 did, and it's obviously not a branding issue that makes one more successful than the other. There's no reason why they can't have the $800 million payoff instead of the $80 million one other than this stupid attitude towards foreign markets.
>>
File: 1471200592861.gif (2MB, 500x209px) Image search: [Google]
1471200592861.gif
2MB, 500x209px
UNDER A BURNING SKY
TORRENTS OF RAGE RAINING DOWN
FROM HIGH
>>
>>14853793

It really won't, I can assure you that if the movie doesn't have american-tier budget, occidental actors and blockbuster structure it won't make money in USA

Japan doesn't care at all about western Godzilla fans and they won't sacrifice their way of making movies for people that can't even understand them, what you ask for is sacrificing the cultural identity of the product for money, which will in turn make the product worse.
>>
>>14853793
It may be your american brain thinking this but people can make movies for reasons other than money. This is not a movie made to make money, this is a movie made to make a movie.
>>
File: dsc_0002_1__2_5.jpg (88KB, 798x720px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0002_1__2_5.jpg
88KB, 798x720px
So can I get this handsome fellow in American stores now?
>>
>>14853737
>How?
There's big, and there's too big.
330 feet is already pushing it, anything above is overkill and makes it comical when all and any infrastructure, short of the highest and most recognizable buildings in metropolitan centers barely reach his knees.

>Not at all. But It's kind of silly when Godzilla is shorter than most of the building around him. far more than 2 dozen most of the time.Not at all. But It's kind of silly when Godzilla is shorter than most of the building around him. far more than 2 dozen most of the time.
Well, no shit bruv, He's at downtown, where the biggest skyscrapers are.
It was always like this, pre-economic boom era Japan wasn't exactly packed to the brim with gigantic skyscrapers.
Put Gojira in 50's era NY and he'll be dwarfed.

>He's already taller than 99.% of the cityscape,
>Except he isn't in most cases. In the more recent films.
Except he IS.
Hate to break it to you but, 99 percent(if not more) of the buildings in any metropolis AREN'T 300+++ feet tall monstrosities.

I mean, look at the pictures you provided.
The cluster of skyscrapers at downtown is just about the only thing matching and surpassing his height, as far as the eye can see.
Everything else barely reaches his knees, nevermind his waist.
What, you want anything short of Petronas Towers or Taipei 101 to barely reach his ANKLES?
>>
>>14853585
Biollante has plenty of detractors. From people who have genuine problems with the movie to "Lol, Godzilla fights a plant, how gay."
>>
>>14853713
Thank you for giving your own reasons for enjoyment of the movie.

It's not particularly high on my list, but Tachibana was one f the greatest characters in the franchise. I don't dislike Yuri but her father was just so much more likeable and more interesting to me. I was glad they didn't kill him off.
>>
>>14853793
Highest grossing Godzilla movie in Japan. Highest attendance rate since the sixties.

These are the things Toho is concerned about. They are nowhere near delusional enough to think they can compete with $300 million grossing blockbusters in America. Neither big budget American Godzilla movie even accomplished that.

The only delusion Toho held was hoping Final Wars would play huge globally but that didn't even get an American theatrical release beyond its world premier.
>>
>>14853911
Lol, they really fucked up with that one. Great to see them actually succeeding now.

But still: 1.5 million for a limited release. What could have it done if it were a wide release?
>>
File: Swamp-Thing_4_panel8.jpg (581KB, 1200x306px) Image search: [Google]
Swamp-Thing_4_panel8.jpg
581KB, 1200x306px
>>14853887
>"Lol, Godzilla fights a plant, how gay."

People really shouldn't knock plant entities.
>>
Anybody at the Edmonton screening at 7:00?
>>
>>14853943
>But still: 1.5 million for a limited release. What could have it done if it were a wide release?
Wide release would have given less incentive to see it for a good chunk of people. I am a hardcore fan of the franchise. I went to see Godzilla 2000 when it was released here. That movie still only brought in ten to twelve million. Sony claimed they were happy for it but they never bothered releasing anything that followed. Let alone Final Wars which had a pretty high amount of hype considering how huge Kitamura was at the time and would have been the most accessible to people who don't care about Godzilla because of it.

I'm sure Shin could have brought in a little more, but Funimation was correct in going with a smaller run. My theater is playing it again Saturday, but they only did three nights instead of the whole week in the first run anyway.
>>
>>14853705
>watching Shin Gojira alone
I congratulated myself on being the most handsome person who was sitting alone in the theater.
(cries)
>>
>>14853948
I'm seeing it on Monday in Nanaimo

Seriously why the fuck wasn't it in Victoria at all?
>>
>>14853962
True. Although even Godzilla 2000 was kind of a small release, wasn't it? I missed it in the theaters because my local cinema barely had it a week. and the critics railed on it
>>
>>14853372
There are good scenes in the 3rd act. However, I feel it took too long to get its political message across. Could've been shorter.

>>14853392
I actually meant the whole sequence was anticlimactic. Aside from the already long wait, something was missing, like the tension wasn't enough. It's almost like ShinG jobbed for the story.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the ending didn't do the design justice. It was great when the wonderful design and political aspects complemented each other. The Tokyo scene was absolutely the height of this. But then it decided to focus on a serious political message and goji got sidetracked. At that point, the plot and ShinG felt like they were for different films.
>>
>>14853962
I wonder if they're gonna gauge interest and extend its theater run further if it continues to do well this following week. That might be pushing it though.
>>
>>14853992
I expect little discount theaters and arthouses to have random showings in the upcoming months.
>>
>>14853985
It was an August release but it got a full national release by Tristar/Sony and got advertising a couple months in advance.
https://youtu.be/V4-e-YHdo5Q
I knew it was coming because I was in the online fandom back then, but seeing this play during a Sailor Moon commercial break back in early Summer 2000 was amazing!
>>
>>14853962
What I heard was that Sony paid $1 million for the distribution rights and made $10 million on the movie, which they were happy enough with that they asked Toho to let them make a direct sequel to it. Toho turned them down and did vs. Megaguirus instead.

That Megaguirus was badly received, both critically and financially, in Japan probably had a lot to do with Sony not picking up the rest of the Millennium movies for theaters. I'm not sure exactly what was going on at Sony after that. They might have had a strong enough slate that they didn't want to "waste" a release slot on a low-risk low-return movie like Godzilla, or maybe they were feeling spiteful because they didn't get to make Godzilla 2002 like they wanted.
>>
>>14853948
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUsCitBwY6o
>>
>>14854001
>they asked Toho to let them make a direct sequel to it. Toho turned them down and did vs. Megaguirus instead.
I have never heard that before. Not calling you a liar but where did you get this info?

>Megaguirus was badly received, both critically and financially
Godzilla 2000 was much the same. Which is why like I said, I don't think Sony was quite as happy with things as they claimed. Now, what you said about not wanting to risk a slot compared to one of their actual movies, I can see that playing into matters.

I really wanted Godzilla Final Wars in theaters. I understand why they didn't because the last Star Wars movie was out that Summer, so even in August Godzilla would have been a hard sell, but damn that would have been amazing to see on the big screen.
>>
>>14854015
Not him, but Michael Schlesinger, who was in charge of the G2K Americanization, wanted to use Toho's effects guys and do their own Godzilla movie, with the human scenes being very tongue-in-cheek.
>>
>>14854015
That's a continuation of the "What I heard was..." so you should take it with a grain of salt. My source is, "The internet," and the internet is a known liar and serial exaggerator.

As for the financial success, 2000 and Megaguirus had about the same budget, but 2000 made almost three times as much in Japan plus the American release. Megaguirus barely made its budget back in Japan, which is why it was the last original Millennium monster.
>>
>>14852483
Namefag stop shrilling your shitty review in these threads. We already told you that your opinion was shit.
>>
>>14854029
I have to imagine that wasn't something suggested in all seriousness. If so, probably for the better it didn't happen.
>>
>>14854033
>>14854039
Here you fuckers go.
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014/06/05/the-godzilla-sequel-that-wasnt/
>>
>>14854053
I'll accept that I'm a fucker. Thanks for the article.
>>
>>14853880
>330 feet is already pushing it
You keep saying this but then not come up with any reason why. Why should a giant monster be limited to size? Giant monsters are giant monsters.

>Well, no shit bruv, He's at downtown, where the biggest skyscrapers are.

And in the cities they'll likely have him attack, he'll be near the biggest buildings. These films love to have him destroy recognizable shit.

>Except he IS.
not.

>What, you want anything short of Petronas Towers or Taipei 101 to barely reach his ANKLES?
Not at all. But he needs to be closer to the height of the buildings they're going to gear him towards destroying. Even his tallest height, 388ft, is short. He should be ~500ft.
>>
>>14854001
I read in Kalat's book that Sony was open to giving a wider American release to later Millennium entries, but they could never agree on the exact terms with Toho. So they went straight to DVD.
>>
>>14854033
>but 2000 made almost three times as much in Japan
Looking it up seems Godzilla 2000 made $15,000,000 while Megaguirus made $10,000,000 on a $8,300,000 budget.

Godzilla 2000 had a similar budget, so can see how that would be a disappointing turnout.
>>
>>14854053
"turning a rather turgid entry in the classic series into a high-spirited adventure"

Dat writer bias.
>>
>>14854053
"My belief was that by keeping the human scenes light-hearted and the monster scenes serious, audiences would at best be less inclined to laugh at the monster scenes, or at worst, they’d be laughing throughout — but at least that’s a consistent tone."

Wow, he more or less predicted Shin Godzilla's tone!
>>
>>14854078
But doesn't Toho receive virtually all of the profit because they own the theaters that show their films?
>>
>>14853653

I think it's hilarious that some amerifat actually got offended about fucking Wilson from Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
>>
Has there been any news on a DVD or Blu-ray release? There was basically no showing within reasonable distance of where I lived.
>>
>>14854101
Probably in the next couple of weeks. If not the end of this month, early next month.
>>
>>14854082
It's pretty widely accepted though that the Japanese version is dull and by-the-numbers.

>>14854094
Been a while since I read the article, this is pretty funny.
>>
>>14854101
>>14854107
They really should get it out before the holidays. It would make a great stocking stuffer!
>>
>>14854109
Truthfully both versions are pretty by-the-numbers. I like some changes made to the American version in regards to music and sound effects, but I never really felt it was a huge difference in tone between the two movies.
>>
>>14854100
It's really hard for me to take the anti-American sentiment seriously when M-11 is one of the biggest heroes in the franchise.

Of course nowadays they would probably try and claim it's rightwing because the villains are a multinational organization lead by an American and Russian and therefore nations co-operating is bad.
>>
>>14854116
What about the humor and banter added in the dubbing? There was a lot of fun dialogue and it kind of gives you an idea of what the proposed sequel would have been like.
>>
>>14854115
I do not foresee Funimation being allowed to release the movie here before Toho does their domestic release. Sometime early next year or Spring at the earliest I imagine is our best bet, unless Funimation got a contract to release their home video version simultaneously with Toho's.
>>
>>14854149
I would assume they did, and if not, they probably have it now seeing as the movie was a pretty big hit here.
>>
File: Godzilla home.jpg (55KB, 683x269px) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla home.jpg
55KB, 683x269px
>>
>>14854164
Ohio, Kamata-kun!
>>
>>14854164
>Kamata-Kun! You forgot to get the milk at the store again!
>>
>>14854161
I'm hoping, but I know how Toho can be with American releases. Especially in regards to Godzilla 2000 which got fucked hard when it came to DVD that December.
>>
>>14854101
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/785880059202723840?s=01
>>
>>14854178
Fuck yeah.
>>
File: gendo feeling good.jpg (375KB, 872x881px) Image search: [Google]
gendo feeling good.jpg
375KB, 872x881px
>>14854178
I am pleased.
>>
So, we all know how the old biddies in the Godzilla fandom fell, but what did Shin-Goji of NMI think of it?

Considering his massive head about being a representative to the Godzilla fandom, I was afraid to even check his site ever since the title was announced.
>>
>>14854135
>It's really hard for me to take the anti-American sentiment seriously when M-11 is one of the biggest heroes in the franchise.

How "anti-American" is it even to begin with? The Godzillasaurus steps on some American soldiers in World War II? One of the two bad guys is a future American?

Maybe I'm just desensitised from seeing so many kung fu movies that are unapologetically anti-Japanese (not that that stopped movies like Fist of Fury from getting popular in Japan anyway).
>>
>>14854194
>How "anti-American" is it even to begin with?
As far as I'm concerned not at all. But WW II vets got up in a hizzie back then, Steven Ryfle apparently took issue, and then there was a guy in this thread who saw it that way.
>>
>>14854161

It's not impossible. Funimation's home release of Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection "F" came out only a couple of weeks later than the Japanese one.
>>
>>14854178
Funimation is on a roll.
>>
>>14852185
she meant tokusatsu fans
>>
Is there a pixiv tag for Shin Godzilla?
>>
>>14852262
but he's wrong
>>
>>14854247
シン・ゴジラ
>>
>>14854250
>シン・ゴジラ
Airygotdough
>>
>>14852695
Compare it with, say, G84, which I feel is the better movie of the two, and almost invalidates any reason for me to watch Shin again, IMO. G84's political banter and board beetings and whatnot didn't chew up most of the screen time, and it was handled better than what I saw in Shin. Most of the things that Shin does, I feel G84 does better, while also giving us a Godzilla that has actual personality, looks terrifying, and isn't a stiff statue shuffling along for 90% of its screentime.
>>
File: jewzilla02.jpg (57KB, 456x305px) Image search: [Google]
jewzilla02.jpg
57KB, 456x305px
>>14853570
love the little visual hints in that scene to tell you that the
jews were responsible[spoiler/]
>>
>>14853585
you mean GMK
>>
File: vpJfSir.jpg (401KB, 888x1076px) Image search: [Google]
vpJfSir.jpg
401KB, 888x1076px
>>14854274
>Godzilla looks asleep the whole movie
>they come up with a complete plan to beat him halfway through the movie
>the plan goes exactly as expected

>>14854277
>this is far from over
>>
>>14852443
>due to the way he thinks everything comes off pro-war when the truth was that it was laying out that Japan has no business running a military.

Reminds me of all the people who said the 2014 film was a commercial for the US army even though they fuck everything up throughout the whole movie and even the main character who's job it is to defuse bombs (i.e. stop people from dying) fails to deactivate the nuke at the end of the movie.
>>
>>14854073
Idk if you saw he movie "Godzilla should be bigger"-bro but he didn't need to be taller to destroy more shit, I think he did fine as he was in the scene that shall not be named.
>>
>>14854174
What? The Godzilla 2000 DVD was actually really nice for a DVD of that era. That was back in the day when most DVDs didn't even have menus. We're talking like when Warner Brothers DVDs would have been considered nice.
>>
>>14854194
>One of the two bad guys is a future American?
Wait, what's the other guy? I thought they were all American except for Emi.
>>
>>14854563
Spoil that shit.
>>
>>14854561

He's a Russian named Grenchko (I think they translated it "Glen Chiko" in the dub)
>>
The talk about Godzilla 2000 made me sit down and rewatch it. Weird how I always love the nighttime scenes in these movies, yet Legendary Goji and Pacific Rim sucked in that regard. Also, funny how Orga was basically Space Biollante.
>>
>>14854696
I thought Pacific Rim's night scenes were fine considering they were in the hyper psychedelic lighting of Hong Kong.

Hell, I thought Godzilla 2014's night scenes looked fine. I think people just don't know how to adjust their TV's.
>>
>>14854765
They were darkened though. The whole film was given a weird color filter
>>
>>14854794
See I've heard conflicting views about the home video release. Maybe it is darker than the theatrical print, but it looks fine on my TV, which I usually keep set pretty bright anyway.
>>
>>14854814
I've color balanced my monitor to fully utilize the color spectrum and these screens are hard to see.
>>
>>14854794
White they are lightening the movie, isn't this screen shot kind of unfair? The only light in that scene is on the side they use to show how they lightened it. There's no fires or visible buildings on the left, no matter what you do.
>>
>>14854814
>>14854937
>>14854944
Lets take for example the shot of San Francisco burning during the HALO jump.

First screencap is from a 1080p BluRay encode. Upon mouseover is the same shot from the first trailer.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/188365

See the difference?
>>
>>14854944
Light has nothing to do with it. He only is color correcting.
>>
>>14854274

Yeah, I really have to disagree with you on every account. Shin was better than G84. It's not a bad movie, but pretty much all the complaints you have about Shin apply way more to G84.
>>
Did anyone else notice Doctor Maki from OOO in the movie?
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.