[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

(Relatively) Mature Toku

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: vlcsnap-2016-09-16-21h27m28s417.jpg (120KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-09-16-21h27m28s417.jpg
120KB, 1280x738px
So, I finished Kamen Rider Kuuga, Kamen Rider Amazons, and I'm almost done with Tekkouki Mikazuki. This has me on a stint for toku with more mature themes. I'm still working my way through showa rider, sentai, and ultraman, but what are some other subbed toku that would fit the bill? Hell, it doesn't even need to be mature, I just want some good toku in general, as all I've really seen is rider, sentai, ultraman, mikazuki, and the chou sei shin series.
>>
>>14850602
Well, early Garo is kind of in that vein. Amemiya did that one so some of his style is sure to bleed through. It's got a more horror based aspect initially, but I wouldn't say it stays super gritty all the time.
>>
>>14850613
Oh yeah, I saw S1 Garo. I don't know why I didn't start S2, I really liked it. So there's something already for me to watch, thank you!
>>
File: 1Tmzdttl.jpg (106KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1Tmzdttl.jpg
106KB, 640x480px
Keitai Sosakan 7 was a great show. Very mature in its storytelling, some downright creepy episodes, and a fantastic end game.

Basically about a secret organization that uses AI cell phones and secret agents to track down cyber criminals. Bunch of long time toku actors are in it.
>>
>>14850617
No problem. Garo S2 is even better than the first series IMO, so I hope you enjoy it too. Also, there are a couple movies in between. While they're not major, they do introduce some characters that show up in Makai Senki. And hell, you might as well watch Amemiya's Hakaider movie. Thag was fucking bizarre.
>>
>>14850628
Haven't heard of this one, but I'll give it a go.

>>14850631
I think it actually was because of the movies actually. I found them rather grating.
>>
Fuck, actually, a thought hit me. Is there some sort of repository of toku show listings that have subs? That seems right up my alley.
>>
>>14850628
This real life aftermath of this show always bugged me. Takeshi Miike was clearly attempting to create his own tokusatsu franchise but for as good as it was and for all the awards it won, it only got the one series.
>>
>>14850602
Ultraman Nexus.
>>
>>14850675
Seen it, but that's definitely up my alley. I was absolutely enthralled with that show, so good.
>>
KR Shin is so mature that it even has a butt in it.
>>
>>14850791
was it a good butt, though?

i mean, vs. Spacegodzilla also had a butt (a decent one at that) and it was overall a mediocre film. or bad, depending on who you ask.
>>
File: Ringu_Saishusho.jpg (9KB, 352x240px) Image search: [Google]
Ringu_Saishusho.jpg
9KB, 352x240px
>>14850794
>Japan
>good butt
yeah nah
Shin is very much trying to be serious mature bugman, though.

There's also probably a bunch of other Drama type stuff that's genre/sfx-y enough for what you're looking for, like Ring Final Chapter
>>
>>14850602
Okay man, you need to watch some films.
Watch the Heisei Gamera Trilogy, trust me, some top tien Tokusatsu shit right there.
Try to catch Shin Godzilla in teathers too.
I'm the guy that made the Mikazuki thread btw.
>>
Winspector occasionally delves into this, from time to time. It's fairly grounded as far as toku goes, aside from the requisite silly sidekick(s) and odder episodes. Solbrain is like that as well, so far.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu8Q1vEgl9s Ultraseven X was a thing
also Mirrorman Reflex and that Lion Maru thing they did
>>
>>14850854
>Ultraseven X
Dorkly, he said GOOD toku.
>>
>>14850841
Oh, thanks for the rec, man, this is rad. Yeah, I was planning on moving on to kaiju once I was finished with showa era toku. Got any recommendations beyond that?

>>14850854
I was more confused by that then anything. The graphics were rad as fuck, but just what even, that show.
>>
>>14850862
picky, picky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25uPzl3y6c4
this has graphic violence and nudity and bugmen
>>
>>14850602
Check out Tetsuo: The Iron Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mAzGvcJS0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okIZZXpd3s0
>>
File: daimajin12.jpg (121KB, 1342x568px) Image search: [Google]
daimajin12.jpg
121KB, 1342x568px
>>14850871
Watch the original Godzilla, if you like that go to the Godzilla thread and ask for some recs. The Daimajin films are really cool and kinda underrated.

Oh, and as some anon said, watch Garo. If you liked Nexus you'll probably like that.
>>
>>14850880
oh yeah, Electric Dragon 80000v, too
>>
>>14850888
I watched a lot of kaiju up to... Godzilla 2? It was a collection and I think the next movie to watch was called like Khaos or something about giant eyeballs and I just kinda stopped cuz those old ass movies get to you after a while.
>>
File: guyver.jpg (46KB, 625x347px) Image search: [Google]
guyver.jpg
46KB, 625x347px
>>14850602
Guyver Dark Hero is toku right? Yeah go watch that.
>>
>>14850922
If I didn't like the anime (my brother was all over it when I was younger and I didn't care for it), should I even bother with the toku?
>>
>>14850927
If you're op I'm not sure why you wouldn't enjoy Guyver, it's literally just edgy 80s shonen Kamen Rider fanfic. Dark Hero's a pretty good live action attempt at the concept, MUCH better than the abysmal first movie with Mark Hamill and the guys from Reanimator hamming it up. Great suit action by the Wang brothers, it wrote their resume up until Dragon Knight.
>>
>>14851057
I am the OP, but also, I gotta say when I saw it I was much younger too. I don't remember too much about the anime other than that I thought it felt like a lot of things just happened without much of a reason... or perhaps I was too young to understand. Do I need knowledge from the anime to watch it?
>>
>>14851070
No, not really.
>>
>>14851070
>Do I need knowledge from the anime to watch it?
nah
just "Guyver is a suit hero thing" and "Oh shit that's David Hayter"
>>
>>14851104
Who? With a name like David Hayter, is it western or something?
>>
>>14850922
It just got reissued, too, so you can get it for normal person money and not $100 or some crazy shit.

I was baffled when I got the new DVD and it was in widescreen. They made a direct-to-VHS movie in widescreen? Those absolute madmen! I hadn't seen it since I rented it from Blockbuster as a kid, so I was surprised by that in particular.
>>
>>14851154
American movie made with a manga license, yes.

David Hayter is the guy who voices Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid. He's also the main character in Guyver: Dark Hero (but not the first one, which you should not watch).
>>
>>14850628
>Keitai Sosakan 7
Are the only subs for this TVN?

I've watched enough TVN subs I can deal with it, but if there is something else I'd rather have that.
>>
>>14851833
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>14851339
David Hayter was sooooooo bad in that movie, he's not an actor at all.
>>
>>14850880
good
>>
You need to watch Metalder. I'm currently at Episode 16 (thanks to a thread here recommending it) and I think it's amazing. It is an '80s show so you should expect certain vibe to it but I'm pleasently surprised so far. In fact I'm actually sad I went through most of /m/ recommendations regarding mature toku so when I finish Metalder I dunno what to check out next.

I loved Kuuga and really liked the first two seasons of Garo (not so much the following ones). I thought Amazons was decent.

If you still haven't checked out KR ZO and KR Agito, you really should. I'd call Blade somewhat Mature but it's uneven as fuck. I did enjoy it though.
>>
Am I the first to mention Mechanical Violator Hakaider?

Pros:
-costumes and props etc are great
-turning the Kikaider story on its head is interesting in theory even if it does its own thing and doesn't really connect
-almost all of the cool bits of Terminator 2 remade in a Japanese movie. Also Planet of the Apes iirc
-dream sequences are cool and probably the best part of the movie but are just kinda there

Neutral:
-I loved the climactic fight at the end but some people understandably dislike it so I dunno if it'll do it for you

Cons:
-the entire movie
>>
>>14857776
I agree with you so much it scares me. When I saw the costumes & overall feel of the movie I desperately searched for it...to this day I still want an SHF of that Hakaider...but sadly the movie is utter shit. Probably the worst Amemiya thing I watched. It's worth a watch if you appreciate the stuff you mentioned though.
>>
>>14851057
>>14851339
>Talking shit about the original Guyver
How dare you try to deprive anons of the wonder that is Jimmie Walker as a mutant alien. Not to mention the baddest boast in all of tokusatsu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5wYDYZJPg0
>>
>>14857808
Man, that practical-effects Mega Smasher shot at the end too, completely worth the entire film.
>>
File: J-Walker1.jpg (291KB, 1200x1190px) Image search: [Google]
J-Walker1.jpg
291KB, 1200x1190px
>>14857808
>Jimmie Walker as a mutant alien
>>
File: pop pop pop.webm (335KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
pop pop pop.webm
335KB, 800x450px
>>14850602
Here have the webm
>>
>>14858118
Yeah, and the scene with the attempted Mega Smasher in the middle. The effects were amazing and the costumes were well made even if the Chronos mooks were redesigned goofily. Shame about the actual movie.
>>
Does Ultra Seven hold up to watching today? I know you need to give old Showa series a certain amount of leeway since they're products of their time, and honestly I find it pretty hard with a lot of the Rider stuff, but I'm willing to give Seven a bash since I've seen /m/ praise it and I really enjoyed Ultraman Nexus
>>
>>14857808
>keep Mizuki Japanese even though you raceswap everyone else in the movie and move the action to the USA
>dump her five minutes into the sequel for a white chick anyway

I wonder what kind of stuff went on behind the scenes on that first movie, it's the oldest US funded adaptation of a Japnese comic that I know of.
>>
>>14857798
Talking of Amemiya and adult tokusatsu, how about those Zeiram movies and Moon Over Tao?
>>
>>14859423
If you like 60s Star Trek you'll love Ultra Seven. Not for the exact same reasons of course, but you can expect a similar ethos between those shows. Just watch Ultra Q, the original Ultraman and Seven, they're all great shows that still hold up today.
>>
>>14859423
>>14859636
UltraSeven is fantastic. The Star Trek TOS comparison is apt. They're both very heavy on social/political metaphors presented through the lens of a nice, non-threatening action sci-fi show.

>>14859616
Zeiram is good, but the only thing that's really great about it is the title monster. Movie Iria is much more of a bore than her fiery anime counterpart, and the human comic relief characters range from equally dull to downright annoying. Zeiram, however, is a lot cooler and more interesting than he is in the anime. Just watching him and Iria burn through their respective arsenals of weird weapons and abilities against each other is fun. Outside of that it's nothing special, but that part is quite special.

The second movie is basically the first one again, except without the thing that made Zeiram most interesting the first time around. Some of his new powers are cool, the special effects and choreography are better, the human characters are less annoying, and Iria is a little less wood, but for all of that improvement it just can't escape that been-there-done-that feeling.

Haven't seen Moon Over Tao. I'd also like to know if it's any good.
>>
>>14859976
It's alright. Got some very cool ideas and effects work but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "good" movie. Worth a watch though.

Basically it's a period samurai movie that turns into a science fiction film halfway through. Wandering monk and a Samurai are sent to investigate a gang of bandits who've been wielding unbreakable katanas, they find a renegade priest has been mining this mountain with alien technology left behind in it. He's trying to reawaken this alien bioweapon that was left behind on Earth centuries ago because he thinks it will make him a god, and then the actual aliens show up to recover it. They're physically identical and played by the same actress who was Iria in Zeiram.
>>
>>14857808
>>14858118
I literally just finished re-watching the first Guyver movie for the first time since I was a kid.

It's...not a good movie. I can see how I was so enamored with it as a kid, at least. If you try to strip away what you already know about the character, or anime at all, then it's easy to see how mind-blowing it would have been to a kid seeing it for the first time. The Guyver design is so evocative, things like the elbow blades are so awesome and creative, and the main character getting killed right before the third act are so bonkers if you don't know that they're coming.

That said, the hokey camp parts are really insufferable and there's a lot of them, the fight choreography is awful, and the suits aren't good compared to the ones in the second movie. For about 9/10 of the time that it's on screen the Guyver's horn isn't even standing up, it's plastered to the top of its head like he has a bad plastic mohawk.

Maybe that's just being spoiled by the second movie, but having been exposed to other Guyver stuff it's hard to pretend that I'm seeing the first movie with fresh eyes again. Other than the raw number of Zoanoids in it there's really no upside to the first movie relative to the second. It's probably the worst thing ever done with the license, although it was the thing that exposed me to the franchise to begin with so I can't discredit it entirely. Dark Hero is completely better, though.

Also I like Dark Hero's Mega Smasher better. The one in the first movie is actually really weak looking.
>>
>>14850818
Some Japanese girls have nice butts, dorkly.
>>
>>14862305
This.
>>
File: Zaborgar.jpg (54KB, 300x424px) Image search: [Google]
Zaborgar.jpg
54KB, 300x424px
Zaborgar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_emPOYRrleA
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.