[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Gundam be considered an epic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: index-cc.jpg (56KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
index-cc.jpg
56KB, 500x750px
Can Gundam be considered an epic?
>>
>>14834857
>Can Gundam be considered an epic?

As a franchise no, too much retconning and inconsistencies within a single timeline let alone all the AUs. The UC obviously is also afflicted by this.

Limited to the Amuro-Char conflict yes it is an epic. But it starts with the Gundam film trilogy and ends with CCA.
>>
>>14834877
>within a single timeline let alone all the AUs
sounds like somebody hasn't watched Turn A
>>
>>14834888
>sounds like somebody hasn't watched Turn A

Sounds like someone didn't watch G-reco that invalidated (retconned) Turn A.
>>
>>14834857
As >>14834877 stated, if you watch it only following the rivalry of Amuro and Char then yes.
>>
>>14834877
I think you can add Unicorn to that.
>>
>>14834857
> a long film, book, or other work portraying heroic deeds and adventures or covering an extended period of time.

AGE could be considered an epic due to it's timescale
>>
It is hella fucki*g epic
>>
>>14835105
>I think you can add Unicorn to that.

It depends. If we view the UC as the epic of the Zabi dynasty then yes Unicorn has to added to the Gundam film trilogy and CCA as the final chapter.
If on the other hand we view the UC as the epic of the Amuro-Char relationship then everything else is secondary. From this point of view, Unicorn is simply inconsequential. It doesn't add anything more to the Amuro-Char relationship that we didn't already know. And no, those 5 seconds with magic swans in space doesn't amount to anything important.
>>
>>14835140
You know for all the talk of possibility, Unicorn adds fucking nothing
>>
>>14835105
Unicorn doesn't understand Domino's philosophy at all. If it does, it's at such a primitive level that it obscures itself. It's not valuable in this consideration. Only Tomino Gundam is really Gundam.
>>
>>14835147
It really couldn't though, not with F91/Victory still being around.

> TFW I've seen people say that Bandai should just do away with those and create post-Unicorn UC anime
> TFW they say it's because those shows don't mesh with Unicorn's ending
>>
>>14835187
I mean, they want Victory and F91 to become non-canon because they undermine Unicorn's ending in their minds. Seemingly, episode 7 should make UC a happy place forever and ever. They're not exactly the other guys who say "make more UC branching off of Unicorn's events while making late-UC non-canon."
>>
>>14835216
Well, if we take into account Turn A's whole timeline with the Dark History, then Unicorn undermines the entire franchise in that conflict is something that always happens no matter the amount of UNDERSTANDING.
>>
>>14834877
That's not how it works.
>>
>>14835216
>Unicorn ending undermine F91/Victory

But if you think aboot it Unicorn kinda make sense on why the Feds late response during the Cosmo Babylonia event and the whole Age of the Warring Space era during V. The Fed just lost its cred and its overall influence over the colony during the Laplace incident.

And thanks to Banana he may have well to be blame for all the death during F91, Crossbone and V
>>
>>14835240
That's always been the theme in each of the early-UC shows, but then another conflict happens and it's back to square one. All the works in UC are following the same tone and nothing is ever truly resolved and closed because frankly the world doesn't work that way and it's foolish to think that some space magic is going to fix that.
>>
>>14834877
>too much retconning and inconsistencies within a single timeline
Don't lots of real-world ancient epics have multiple conflicting versions? Like the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Mahabharata?

I agree about First-Z-ZZ-CCA being a standalone epic. But I'd start with the series, not the film trilogy.
>>
>>14835216
>because they undermine Unicorn's ending in their minds.
And wasn't the whole point that Banagher was going to hope for peace even knowing that conflict is bound to happen in the future? Isn't that what "even so" was about? Wasn't the heat death of the universe just an extreme stand-in for humanity's failure to achieve peace? Hope for peace even when it's such an uphill battle.

It's like thinking the final scene of End of Evangelion undermines Shinji's epiphany at the end of Instrumentality. Sure, he tries to choke out Asuka, but he admitted his growth wouldn't be easy, that he'd change step-by-step.
>>
>>14834857
In a technical sense, yeah.
It's long enough, it's grandiose enough, it has enough backstory.
>>
>>14835216
>Seemingly, episode 7 should make UC a happy place forever and ever.
Everyone's thoughts coming together to prevent the Axis drop should have made UC a happy place forever and ever by that logive, but guess what fucking shows up 3 years later?

At least F91 and Crossbone are far enough in the future for a new generation of idiots to have been spawned.
>>
>>14835925
*by that logic
No clue how that got misspelled so bad.
>>
>>14835875
To be fair, putting Asuka out of his misery is an admirable first step.
>>
>>14835925
That's probably my biggest or second biggest problem with Unicorn. I might even have been okay with it if it happened seven years after CCA, but three years is just too short, and it's as if it's trying to one-up the Grand Finale so quickly.
>>
>>14834857
CCA is an unworthy conclusion to the UC epic
>>
>>14834857
If you consider UC Gundam as Char's story, then yes.

Really, only Char and Bright go through the early UC as characters.
>>
>>14835140
I'd say it's better to think of it as the Zeon-Federation epic, than the Zabi epic. Then you can include most of the OVAs too. You could see it on different levels, where Char-Amuro would be the core with Origin, 0079 and CCA, then ZZ and Unicorn being on the middle level with the Zabi narrative, then 0080, 08th Team, IGLOO and Thunderbolt being the more peripheral sphere of particular people and conflicts, and then Zeta and 0083 having connections with all levels. Finally you have late (F91, Victory, G-Saviour) and post (G-Reco, Turn A) UC which are disenfranchised more from the narrative.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.