[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Rank each entry in the Macross franchise from best to worst.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 25

File: d50dyqz.jpg (33KB, 1192x670px) Image search: [Google]
d50dyqz.jpg
33KB, 1192x670px
ITT: Rank each entry in the Macross franchise from best to worst.
>>
>>14825544
Do we really need another thread where Macross fans fling shit at each other because we have different tastes? Fuck off.
>>
Just rank them in production order, then.
>>
File: basara leaf.webm (998KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
basara leaf.webm
998KB, 1440x1080px
SDF=FB2012=Plus=7=Zero=Frontier>Delta>II
>>
>>14825573
by that logic, macross II would be in the top 5 for best entries
>>
>>14825544
Plus
Delta
SDF/DYRL
Frontier
Zero
>>
SDF>DYRL>Plus=Frontier>7Dynamite>7=Delta>>>Zero
>>
>>14825544
>series
1st - The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
2nd -Super Dimensional Fortress Macross II: Lovers Again
3rd - Macross Zero
4th - Macross Plus
5th - Macross Delta
6th - Macross Frontier
7th - Macross 7

>best MC
Hibiki and Hikaru

>Best older girl
Misa and Silvie

>Best genki girl
Ishtar

>Worst MC
Basara

>Worst older girl
Sara and Mirage

>Worst genki girl
Minmay and Ranka Lee
>>
SDF> DYRL > Frontier/Movies > Dynamite 7 > Delta=Plus=Zero > 7
>>
File: HOTBLOODED PACIFIST.png (978KB, 1206x900px) Image search: [Google]
HOTBLOODED PACIFIST.png
978KB, 1206x900px
>>14825544
7>SDF>Delta>7OVA>DYRL>Plus=Frontier>II>Zero
>>
SDF > DYRL > 7 = Plus > shit > II > Frontier > Delta
>>
File: Gamlin kick.webm (653KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Gamlin kick.webm
653KB, 960x720px
7>SDF>Plus>Frontier >Delta

I haven't watched Zero.
>>
>>14825544
Zero > 7 TV > Frontier movies > 7 movie > Frontier TV > first series > 2 > DYRL > Plus > Dynamite 7 > Plus movie > XX > Frontier Nyan Clip (I forget the exact name) > Flashback 2012

have not seen Delta and I'm bracing myself now.
>>
>>14825875
>I haven't watched Zero.
Do so, ignore the shit taste if it being "bad", only idol music fanboys say that.
>>
>SDF = DYRL
>Frontier Movies
>7 + Extras
>Plus
>Frontier
>Zero
>Delta

Haven't watch II
>>
File: ep29_minmay_greets_uncle.png (656KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
ep29_minmay_greets_uncle.png
656KB, 720x540px
SDF>Frontier>Plus>7=Delta>Zero>II
>Best Dogfights
Plus
>Best VF
VF-25F
>Best MC
Hikaru
>Worst MC
Basara
>Best Older Girl
Misa or Sheryl
>Worst Older Girl
Mirage or Sara
>Best Younger Girl
Freyja
>Worst Younger Girl
Mylene
>Best Boyfriend
Hayate
>Best Girlfriend
Sheryl
>Best Villain
Movie Leon
>Best Zent
Gamlin or Klan
>Best Singer
Minmay or Mikumo
>>
>BEST
Robotech part 1
Genesis Climber MOSPEADA
00 Gundam
Space Thunder Kids
>WORST
>>
DYRL > Plus > original >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rest
>>
>>14825896
It has cool dogfights but that's it, Kawamori writing sucks.
>>
all=fun
because I'm not an autistic faggot like OP
>>
>>14825544
>ITT: Rank each entry in the Macross franchise from best to worst.

Best to worst according to what criteria ? Story ? Music ? Animation ? Characters ? Mechandising ?

Macross Frontier, Macross Delta. Fill in the gaps.
>>
7>SDF>DYRL>frontier movies>Plus>frontier>Delta>Zero>II
>>
>>14825544
SDF=DYRL>Plus>7>Delta. Delta being a 6/10 for me.
>>
>>14825747
>best MC
>Hikaru
his voice actor made me want to pull off my ears and he made me watch him be a submissive faggot for 26 something episodes before he grew a pair, only for him to fall back into the beta zone 2 episodes later. If you count his DYRL incarnation maybe
>>
Do you think Absolute 5 is final battle material?
>>
>>14825566
Hey, Gundam fans do it all the time!
>>
>>14831836
Pretty sure he meant by how well developed and characterized Hikaru is. If we're talking likability, Hayate wins by a landslide.
>>
SDF > DYRL > II > shit > the rest
>>
SDF/DYRL > Plus = 7 > II > Frontier > Zero >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Delta
>>
Which Macross should I start with to get into the series?
>>
>>14834972
sdf
>>
7 > *

It's the best.
>>
>>14834980
7 is a shit like Frontier and Delta, these three waste (7, Frontier and Delta) are more focused on idolshit and musicshit than on action, battles, mechs, conflicts and romance.
>>
>>14835326
You're an idiot.
>>
>>14834972
The only consistent opinions you will get on this series is that SDF is must watch and that you should start with SDF, Everything else is a crapshoot whether you love it or hate it
>>
>>14835326
Frontier and Delta focus considerably on romance despite having pointless episodes on school setting or Windermere respectively. 7's romance is a joke though.
>>
>>14825544

Excluding 7 since I haven't seen it

SDF=DYRL
Plus
Zero=Frontier
Delta=II
>>
>delta usually at the bottom
WHY
>>
1. SDF Macross
2. Macross Frontier
3. Macross Plus
4. Macross 7
5. Macross Delta
6. Macross Zero
>>
>>14825544
Got a soft spot for Plus, plus researching Chucky Yeager gives some good reads.
>>
>>14835792
Why must you hate Zero so?
>>
Here's my list, based not on my personal preferences but on several of criteria including animation/visuals, story, characters, music, and pacing, among others. The number is my personal enjoyment ranking.

9 - DYRL
9.5 - Frontier
9 - SDF Macross
8 - Macross Zero
8 - Frontier Movies
7.5 - Macross Plus
6 - Macross Seven (Currently stuck after they recovered Seven after the Varauta warpfolded it away)
3 - Macross Delta (I dropped it)
>>
SDF>7>everything else in any order you want
>>
>>14835765
It's objectively the worst Macross and the one that killed the franchise.
>>
>>14825544
Robotech
Mospeada
SDFM
Macross Plus
Shadow Chronicles
Mr Popo
Dirt
Mr Pop's stool
Astro-Plan
You
Zero
Frontier
Destiny
Delta
>>
>>14836092
>Killed the franchise
FIVE TIMES THE FIGMA SALES
How many times does this have to be said?
>>
File: 1444459277504.gif (2MB, 480x286px) Image search: [Google]
1444459277504.gif
2MB, 480x286px
>>14836015
>Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love
Now, this might be a little controversial, but I guess DYRL is probably the best entry in the series. It's short, but has some gorgeous hand-drawn animation, and is worlds better to watch and listen to than the actual SDF series. Remember that sequence where Max was fighting Miria in SDF? That level of animation is present throughout DYRL, and the color palette and unique aesthetic design of the UN ships and the new, more grotesque Zentran/Meltran ships really make DYRL one of the best-looking anime movies ever released.

As a consequence of being compacted though, DYRL has a weak-ass, generic mid-80s story. The whole "ancient aliens" and spending roughly a third of the movie in the ruins of the Protoculture city really weaken SDF's original plot and it's moral message. That said, having less Minmay and more Misa was a good thing.
>>
>>14835986
Because he's a idolfag
>>
File: 1228815172533.png (293KB, 563x640px) Image search: [Google]
1228815172533.png
293KB, 563x640px
>>14836015
>Macross Frontier
Yes, Macross Frontier is the best Macross series.

It has the best animation of any of the Macross TV series, which shouldn't be surprising considering it was released in 2008, in the middle of a mecha renaissance in Japanese anime. The first episode is a masterpiece all on it's own, combining music, love, and battles in a tour de force of Kawamori's skill as a director and of what makes Macross unique. And surprisingly, Frontier maintains it's high level of quality through most of the series. Admittedly, a good deal of that is by virtue of the fact that several of the shots from the first episode are recycled quite often, sometimes twice in one battle, but they still look beautiful.

Frontier has all the best aspects of Macross. The love story doesn't drag on interminably or obscurely, the battles are tense and exciting, and the eventual reconciliation between combatants feels like a hard-won triumph between two radically different species after months of war and struggle. Frontier has some great modern music, which is a major part of why the final battle in both the series and the movies is so fucking awesome.

The CGI is just wonderful; the texture work and doodads on most mecha closeups is great and really lend a sense of life to scenes that desperately need it, and the battle animations really showcase a modern interpretation of the classic Macross style. The 2D animation is nice too, with character designs that, while a little flashy, don't feel too far removed from "ordinary" people. And the characters themselves are complex enough that you can relate to various aspects of them, helping the viewer along in seeing things from their POV.

If someone is interested in Macross, or you want to get someone into the series, start here.
>>
File: 1440725762154.jpg (398KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1440725762154.jpg
398KB, 1920x1080px
>>14836015
>Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Watching SDF Macross today, you can't help but wince at the animation. But SDF Macross has one of the best war stories to come out of anime, and is almost unique in detailing the fallout from war and how fragile peace can be, unlike UC Gundam.

SDF Macross set the tone for everything that followed, and it did so with great aplomb. While it is dated now, it's easy to see how in the early 80s Macross was groundbreaking and fresh. The animation is incredibly uneven, but that's par for the course for that period and there are some really striking moments, like the first Daedalus attack and Max fighting Miria. The music is really screechy, but considering the technology of the day I don't think you could expect much better.

Where SDF really shines is the story. It's a timeless story of love, war, and the coming of age of the three members of the triangle. No matter if you think Minmay is a bitch or Hikaru is a dolt or Misa is naive, the three of them, through their experiences during Space War I, grow and become the leaders of a new generation that survives the apocalypse and rebuilds the world. And SDF actually shows you some of the challenges of that rebuilding, of integrating a population of alien warriors, and how just because you win doesn't mean the fighting has stopped. You have to keep fighting to keep the peace you've earned.

Between SDF Macross and Gundam 0079, I'd pick SDF Macross almost every time.
>>
File: 1440725536694.jpg (540KB, 2000x1194px) Image search: [Google]
1440725536694.jpg
540KB, 2000x1194px
>>14836015
>Macross Zero
Macross Zero gets a lot of hate, but I think it's better than Macross Plus. Why? Because compared to the clusterfuck that is Plus' characters, Zero is really straightforward and easy to understand.

Now, that doesn't mean Zero has a great story. It's basically DYRL 2: Electric Boogaloo. Zero delves more into the legacy of the Protoculture and their intentions for humanity, but it also sits in a very interesting historical period in the Macross Continuity. Taking place between the Unification War proper and Space War I, Zero introduces several really interesting variable fighter designs, especially the SV-52 and the Octos submarine mech. And despite having been made in the early 2000s, the CGI battles and models generally look good, the Bird-Man being a major exception.

Others have commented that the characters in the OVA are more like archetypes than well-written characters, and to some extent that's true. Shin is just a stupid soldier boy and Sara is the cold-hearted holy woman, Roy is the hot-shot fighter jock, Nora's a crazy bitch, etc. But that makes it easier to accept what's going on in the first episode and focus on what Kawamori wanted people to focus on, the battles and the plot. And unlike Plus, you never get the sense that you're wasting time with them because Zero quickly moves on past their character development, what little they get.
>>
File: 112.jpg (1MB, 3740x1862px) Image search: [Google]
112.jpg
1MB, 3740x1862px
>>14836015
>Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime/Sayonara no Tsubasa
Better animation, but weaker story. The whole "Galaxy Spy" sub-plot is really uninteresting, and the YF-29 is one of the ugliest VFs I've ever seen. There's also a ton of reused assets from the TV series that are just slightly recolored, which is really obvious and looks ugly.

But the Frontier compilation movies have a happier, more definitive ending than the series, and the final battle is a glorious 30 minutes of complex dogfights, fleet battles, and amazing music.
>>
File: Macross Plus.webm (3MB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
Macross Plus.webm
3MB, 1008x720px
>>14836015
>Macross Plus (OVA)
Yes, yes, Plus has some gorgeous animation. It's a shame the story is kind of shit.

If Macross Zero is the child of DYRL's story, Plus is the child of DYRL's animation. Beautiful hand-drawn animation makes this one of the best-looking early 90s OVAs. The use of light and color as scenes shift from Eden to Earth, and from Myung to Guld to Isamu is just perfect, and really help establish the tone and balance of this very tense triangle. The narrative conceit of the Test Fighter competition is a perfect vehicle to both explore their relationship and show off the aerial combat that Macross is known for, though this does make the music seem really superfluous.

The story really suffers from the early-90s/late-80s OVA writing though. Everything is kind of obscured and drawn out, nothing gets explained until close to the end, and cyberpunk/fantasy is just tossed in because why not? Why can Sharon hypnotize everyone? Because that's the power of music yo! I mean, we could extrapolate, based on future installments, that Sharon is actually the culmination of the Protoculture, but in the context of the OVA it's just a pseudo-magical ability that Sharon has to lend some importance to the musical aspect. The music is pretty good, it's just not amazing. It's a lot more orchestral and atmospheric, and fits really well, but it's not something you can really sing along to.

Macross: Top Gun is a fitting nickname for Macross Plus, and it's really a shame that the cinematography of Plus didn't make it into Zero, Delta, or even enough of Frontier. This really is the second-most beautiful entry in Macross, it's just a shame that the story drags.

I haven't yet watched the movie version of this.
>>
File: Listen_to_my_Song.jpg (119KB, 423x1214px) Image search: [Google]
Listen_to_my_Song.jpg
119KB, 423x1214px
>>14836015
>Macross Seven
Seven has a really interesting and diverse range of characters and stories, but it's so fucking ugly. It's fun to watch when it's fun, but when it's not fun it's also incredibly boring.

Seven is a product of it's time, and unfortunately that time is the 80s. 80s anime as a whole aren't very serious, which is fine, but when that lightheartedness carries over into the animation you get some really ugly visuals. Case in point, all the space battles take place against an ultramarine sky, with the occasional rainbow vomit orbiting the battlefield. Recycled animation is rife, and grows tiresome after the first seven episodes. It doesn't help that the pacing for 7 is terrible, with dozens of episodes where almost nothing happens or where characters simply character their way through the latest stupid Varauta plot. There really wasn't a need for 52 episodes here, though at least the broad cast of characters gets more development than in other Macross series.

Seven does have some of the best music in Macross; again, it's a product of the 80s. The OP is easily the most stunning OP of the Macross TV series, and sets the tone for a fun, adventurous ride through space. While the story's pacing issues and some of the really annoying shit Mylene gets up to distract the viewer, Seven is really very close in tone to SDF Macross while being a little more light-hearted. Fewer people die, there are more slice of life episodes focused on the characters, and overall Seven does one of the best jobs of connecting you to the characters and bringing you to care about them.
>>
File: MacrossDeltaThreads.jpg (2MB, 2097x1368px) Image search: [Google]
MacrossDeltaThreads.jpg
2MB, 2097x1368px
>>14836015
>Macross Delta
The last and the least. Macross Delta is a piece of shit. If it weren't a Macross series, it would be your average terrible mecha series, like Aldnoah/Zero. Macross Delta comes in the midst of a dark age of mecha anime.

Delta has too many characters who do nothing, too many battles where nothing happens, too many recycled backgrounds and episode plots, and it just drags on and on and on. The pacing is terrible, even though it's only 26 episodes long. The main characters are flat and listless, serving more like tour guides for the audience while the antagonists take all the action. And the series has some of the ugliest CG I've seen in modern anime, with bad spec maps and really simplistic cinematography throughout. Even battles are boring because they become all about listening to Freyja sing a few songs and Hayate screaming. Even when Seven was about Basara singing his way into battles and not killing his opponents, he didn't do it so that he could keep flying against the same enemies only to keep losing every time.

And Seven had variety in it's music; Delta, the first Macross not to be scored by Yoko Kanno, has only a few songs sung by it's main idols, and has no noteworthy orchestral tracks at all. It's boring to listen to, and it's boring to watch.

Delta is just a lot of wasted potential on display. There's no reason to watch this unless you really want ot know more about the Protoculture and how, in Macross, music is actually an ancient superweapon encoded in the genes of certain of the Protoculture's creations. That's it. Delta retroactively makes every Macross worse by saying there's nothing special about music or humanity or forging peace through Culture, because music is a magical mind-controlling roofie.

For this, for it's bad cinematography, for it's limited musical selection, and for it's terrible main characters, Delta is the worst Macross entry to date.
>>
>>14836171
Zero had the best idol. She wasn't a slut.
>>
>>14826442
I came here to post that
>>
File: WnLjxDk - Imgur.png (397KB, 610x457px) Image search: [Google]
WnLjxDk - Imgur.png
397KB, 610x457px
>>
>>14836184
>Seven is a product of it's time, and unfortunately that time is the 80s. 80s anime as a whole aren't very serious, which is fine, but when that lightheartedness carries over into the animation you get some really ugly visuals.
Nigger what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>14836661
There's no weight to almost anything. Even the Destroid Monster during that festival didn't really move in a way that made you think it was a huge walking tank. And the space battles when the Varauta army were initially raiding 7 where they just had planes sliding across the screen made everything seem really fake.
>>
>>14836661
It's mostly in terms of the color palette. Those space battles where you have gray-lilac fighters fighting blue-striped VF-17s and gray VF-11s on an ultramarine background are really bright and make it easier to accept the light-hearted story that nobody dies, they just get their eros sucked out by the Protodeviln, but they also look really ugly because the colors blend together. And the way they reuse shots willynilly just makes battles super confusing.
>>
>>14836187
Never seen so much autism like this before.
>>
>>14836579
>look ma, I posted it again!
>>
>>14838275
You haven't been to /k/.
>>
>>14825573
Pretty much
>>
>>14826380
pretty good list, although I might exchange Hayate with Basara,mirage and sara for Sylvie, and the VF-25F with the YF-30
>>
>>14825544
1st: Macross7
2nd: DYRL
3rd: Macross Plus
4th: Macross 2
5th: Macross Zero
6th: Macross Frontier

I've yet to watch Delta
>>
>>14838316
Basara best bf? How? Romance is never in his mind.
>>
>>14838484
I think that might be what anon is going for.
>>
>>14836187
>has only a few songs sung by it's main idols
Previous Macross singers only had a handful of good songs respictively don't even get me started in Plus and Zero's lackluster songs.
>>
>>14838569
Yeah but Delta had only a handful of songs and only two-three were good.
>>
My only issue with 7 is that its quality varies greatly depending on what section of the series you're watching.
>>
>>14838629
You could say the same for Frontier. Only a few good songs and Ranka had none whatsoever.
>>
>>14835593

Because 7's romance is barely even the focus. The guy she likes isn't into her and the guy that likes her she isn't 100% about.
>>
>>14836015
>Macross Seven (Currently stuck after they recovered Seven after the Varauta warpfolded it away)
Funnily you're right at the point where it starts getting better.
>>
>>14825544
shows

>mecha era
1st SDFMacross & DYRL - 8.5
2nd Plus - 8
3rd Macross Zero - 7.95
4th Macross II - 7.9
>music and idol era
5th Macross 7 2.4
6th Macross Delta 2.3
7th Frontier Movies - 2.2
8th Frontier TV - 2.0

>Characters

>Best MCs
Hibiki and Hikaru
>Worst MCs
Basara and Alto

>Best older girl
Misa
>Worst older gir
Mirage

>Best genki girls
Ishtar and Mao
>Worst genki girls
Ranka Lee and Minmay

>Overestimated characters
Sheryl and Freyja
>Wronged characters
Mao and Isamu

>Best Singer
Mikumo
>Worst Singer
Ranka Lee
>>
>>14838642
That's wrong though.

Ranka had What 'Bout My Star @ Formo, Aimo ~Tori no Hito, Koi Wa Dogfight which is her best one, and Seikan Hikou. And she sung in the medleys.

Did Walkure ever sing a decent 5-part song together?
>>
>>14838647
Oh, really? I just retorrented the whole series because apparently I only downloaded up to episode 42 from Central.
>>
>>14838275
You should understand why you like and enjoy things. Otherwise you'll never understand what makes something good and what makes something bad. It's the same whether it's anime or wine.
>>
>>14825605

By default II should be above delta and frontier simply because of the music, son.
>>
>>14839034
Nobody liked What Bout My Star or Aimo. Those songs were terrible. Seikan Hikou is alright for memes I guess.

>Did Walkure ever sing a decent 5-part song together?
Ikenai Borderline, Hametsu no Junjou, Cosmic Movement, Walkure Attack, Bokura no Senjou, Ichido Dakeno Koi Nara, Absolute 5. It also helps each idol has at least one good solo......well except Reina but her VA sang a good DYRL at least.
>>
>>14839161
Eh, only Ikenai Borderline was acceptable.
>>
DYRL > Plus > Original > Rest
>>
>>14839035

You're right around the point where they stop doing so many bottle episodes.

Also the BDs are out these days, Pineapple Salad's release.
>>
>>14839459
Wait, it got remastered.

Fuck, I wasted like six hours downloading Central Anime's whole set. What's the total file size?
>>
File: 1475710989635.jpg (26KB, 384x300px) Image search: [Google]
1475710989635.jpg
26KB, 384x300px
>>14838902
this
>>
>>14839179
>I have shit taste
But seriously, to each their own I guess.
>>
>>14839572

For the full BD release of everything, including dynamite and the bonus episodes?

37.7 gb
>>
>>14838902
Terrible taste all across the board.
>>
>>14838902
perfect list

>>14840951
please moe-idolfag go back to moe thread from /a/ or your weebshit
>>
>>14838902

Welp, this post has convinced me to finally give Zero an earnest try, despite the bitter taste prequels typically leave in my mouth.
>>
File: Cancer.jpg (2MB, 1914x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cancer.jpg
2MB, 1914x1000px
>>14841734
Zero is a good series. The only people who don't like Zero are idol fanboys.
Sure, that is actually really easy to explain, Macross Zeno has no idols.
>>
>everyone who lists Basara as the worst MC

Do I just see something in him that no one else does? I love his character.

>>14842120
>The only people who don't like Zero are idol fanboys.

Or you know, because THAT SCENE ruins everything the show was going for.
>>
>>14825544
Anything by Kawamori: shit.
>>
File: 1474425041567.jpg (16KB, 213x350px) Image search: [Google]
1474425041567.jpg
16KB, 213x350px
>>
File: 1473381029242.webm (221KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1473381029242.webm
221KB, 640x480px
>>
>>14842141
Basara is not a bad character, he's super fun. But he's a terrible MC because he has zero development. He's not as bad as Shin though. He has no development and he's an unlikable cunt.
>>
>>14840942
Yeesh.

>>14840913
Walkure songs all have a shitty orchestral track and none of their voices can be heard over the shitty beats.
>>
>>14842141

> THAT SCENE

What scene? I only rewatched it the other day and don't recall any scene that ruins everything the show was going for.

>>14842214

> he has no development

Blatantly untrue. Shin learns to work with and rely on others for help after he gets shot down and thinks Edgar is dead, and becomes more open to spiritual and natural things after spending time on Maya. He also stops being a super serious try hard and starts laughing again.

He's not the greatest main character by any stretch and isn't nearly as entertaining as Basara, or as human and dickish as Isamu if that's your thing (though he does have moments), but saying he has no development is factually untrue and he develops more in 5 episodes than some leads do in a full series.
>>
>Macross II
>not moeshit like 7, F, and Delta
>doesn't waste a lot of time with shitty songs
>ending pisses off autistic waifufags
>mech space battles with lots of shading

Macross can be pretty based when the manchild Kawamori is not involved.
>>
>>14842814

Macross II is mostly kind of forgettable. There's a few cool ideas in there when you sit down and look at what it did, like having a photojournalist as a lead or the enemy using music (which Delta copied) while the protagonistic faction were on the backfoot because their music wasn't working for once - but the show as a whole is just kind of boring. All the production values in the world won't stop something from being forgettable to many people.
>>
>>14842214
So just like Hayate?
>>
>>14826380

like your taste
>>
>>14826680
>>14825892
>>14825875

i liked 7 a lot, but is the only one that i might never see again
>>
>>14842855
I wouldn't say that. Hayate had some development going on up until episode 13. And he's a decent guy, certainly the best BF of Macross.
>>
>>14843076

The last bit of possible development I can think of for Hayate is when he kills notBellri and reflects on it with Mirage. I say possible however, because I can't think of any real major changes that he went through as a result of it. He didn't kill any other pilots or become more comfortable with the idea, and specifically spared Bogue. He probably shot to kill Keith in episode 13, but the song buff may just have allowed him to aim and even if he did shoot to kill it would have been out of nessecity, since he didn't have the time to aim elsewhere and took that chance when he could.

Which is a pity, because him talking it out with Mirage is a pretty good scene, so not really having anything come of it is a bit of a waste. As is him refusing to accept new members in to Delta squad and no-one, not even Arad pointing out how childish that decision is. Again, another chance for development, but one definitely squandered, because he's allowed to wallow in his old mindset and never pushed forward.

Really I'd say his development stops at episode 4 (it might even be 3), when he accepts training and becomes nicer to Mirage and Freyja.

Also I'd say Max is a nicer boyfriend, what with the rainbow road wedding, trying to help Millia's entire species by giving a demonstration in front of their command of kissing, being a decent husband and all. Mostly because he's not a thick moron when it comes to women and attraction. Gamlin is pretty bro too, even if he never got the chance to be a boyfriend. You know he'd do well though. Even Alto seems better really, since he prepared candle lit dinner fir Sheryl and was willing to stick with her at her lowest ebb when she was dying and had lost her fame. Which counts for more than a snow machine in my opinion.
>>
>>14843158
Not him but I can't take your criticisms all too seriously if you think Shin was developed in any way(yes I know you're the Zero apologist). As for Max being best husbando, I would agree if he hadn't separated from Millia in the future. Also he never did anything as romantic as making it snow for a girl like Hayate or giving a boy the sky like Sheryl or any of those other things you mentioned with Gamlin or Alto.
>>
>>14839037

>Otherwise you'll never understand what makes something good and what makes something bad

To you
>>
>>14838902
like your taste
>>
Robotech Macross.
Southern Cross.
Macross Delta.
Shadow Chronicles.
Those were the best of the Robotech Saga series.
The Robotech series is pretty much as labeled. Macross was the best, the Southern Cross, then the third one. The movie was junk. Too flashy, there were some OK changes, and some downright terrible changes.
7 and Frontier wasn't very good. I should rewatch them. To make sure. And while the last episodes were rushed, overall Delta was great.
If there's something you liked in all these series, good for you, because there's hours and hours of mediocre anime with some really good small series in all of it.
>>
File: Apollo.jpg (447KB, 1077x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Apollo.jpg
447KB, 1077x1500px
>>14825544
Apollo is the best MC from Kawamori
>>
>>14843158
The real reason he refused to accept new members in Delta was because Delta didn't have the budget to animate a new pilot character and a new VF, or to hire a new VA.
>>
>>14825544
1) Frontier TV series
2) Frontier Movies
3) SDF Macross
4) DYRL
5) Macross II
6) Plus OVA
7) Plus Movie
8) Macross Seven Dynamite OVA
9) Macross Delta
10) Macross Seven TV series
>>
Macross as a whole is really disappointing. Nothing worth spawning a 40 year franchise for.
>>
Where does Robotech fall on the list?
>>
>>14845346
He's a dog.
>>
>>14845954
It doesn't.
>>
>>14842709
>I only rewatched it the other day and don't recall any scene that ruins everything the show was going for.

The Monster. When it shows up it's a terrible thing and you're filled with dread because everything beautiful is going to be ruined and OH MAN IT LOOKS SO COOL
>>
>>14842214

Basara has no development because he doesn't need any, his character right at the start is exactly where it needs to be in order to solve the external conflict, as he has no internal conflict.
>>
>>14845978
he's gay
>>
>>14845996

But he liked Mylene's sister before finding out her last name, then he ran the fuck out.
>>
>>14826380
>Best Zent
>Gamlin or Klan

Wait, Gamlin was a Zentradi?
>>
>>14846027
No, he was a Zolan or whatever.
>>
>>14836184
>Seven is a product of it's time, and unfortunately that time is the 80s.
>SDF Macross: 1982
>Macross Seven: 1994

You wot mate.
>>
>>14846033
pretty sure he was just a normal human
>>
>>14846027
Gamlin was half zent half human.
>>
>>14846038
He was a Supreme Zentleman?
>>
>>14846039
You bet your ass he was.
>>
>>14845346
this
>>
File: slut.png (791KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
slut.png
791KB, 1280x720px
>>14845957
Silvia is the real bitch from Sousei no Aquarion with his stupid brother complex .

The main heroines from the aquarion franchise are nasty sluts.
>>
>>14846034

Japan is always a decade behind culturally. The 80s there were like the 70s here and the 90s there like the 80s here.
>>
>>14846038

Gamlin couldn't have been part Zent. If he had been then Syvil would've been able to control him.
>>
>>14845977

Then I simply disagree with you I guess, since far from betraying the point I think that scene encapsulates the whole pretty well. What I'd remind you of first of all is that that scene is not alone, and that pretty much every scene where there's action of any kind on Maya is in the same style of looking cool but being horrifying, and that the Monster scene is simply the culmination of that.

VFs fighting over Maya, destroying the scenery and killing locals in episode 2 or 3, Nora's firebombing of the Mayan forest to find Shin and Sarah in episode 4, they're all cool but horrifying because that's one of Zero's points: that technology is a double edged sword and yea, it's cool and useful, but people can become too reliant on it, failing to see simple things and resorting to technology to solve all their problems without leaving thinking of the consequences. Which is what the Monster is. It's the NUN's leaders seeing the Birdman, and just going "We can't control it? Nuke it." as a violent reaction using available technology to solve a problem that could have been talked away if they'd stopped to look for a few minutes.

This theme is mostly summed up in Shin fixing up the island's generator and almost all the islanders being wowed by television and electrical light, but failing to even notice the stars are being blocked out by the same light. When he first does it he doesn't care and thinks Sara is being provincial and superstitious complaining about it. Then later he regrets that doing so had adverse effects he didn't think of.

The horror that does come of it is personal. Shin had just gotten through to Sara and could have ended things peacefully. The Monster destroyed that though, and Sara had to sacrifice herself and leave with the nukes and the Birdman to stop any fallout, with Shin following in the end.
>>
>>14846144
Half human bruh.
>>
>>14846142
No, you're just being fucking retarded
>>
>>14846596
>>14846038
According to your ass maybe, I don't know where else you could have gotten such an idea.
>>
File: 1476524054097.png (2MB, 1344x900px) Image search: [Google]
1476524054097.png
2MB, 1344x900px
>>
>>14847623
Whatever race he is, it's probably the same as what Hayate is. There's no way people can naturally have white or blue hair like that.
>>
>>14826442
Ding ding ding.

Maybe put 7 above rest, but I can take it or leave it.
>>
>>14847785

If that were true then Max is not human either. Or Alto for that matter.
>>
>>14847785
>There's no way people can naturally have white or blue hair like that.
yo, what if, like, they were cartoons dude
woah...mind blown
>>
>>14847815
We never saw Max as a kid or his father so he could have just dyed his hair. Alto might not be totally human either but his hair color isn't as wild as the other three.
>>
>>14847858
So if Max dies his hair why couldn't Gamlin? Do you think everyone with anime hair is not fully human in other shows?
>>
>>14846317

That's my point, I'm saying that for the director, don't make the thing that is objectively bad look cool, you're lessening our ability to see it for the horrible thing it is.
>>
>>14847890

It doesn't lessen my ability at least, nor do I think it loses any impact by being cool.
>>
>>14847890
Don't be retarded, you can admire an objects aesthetic qualities while keeping in mind its purpose is to do something bad, this is why people love bad guy gear like Star Destroyers or Panzers.
>>
>>14847921
>>14847933

You're ignoring what I'm trying to say. I'm going on Truffaut's statement that, to quote, "I find that violence is very ambiguous in movies. For example, some films claim to be antiwar, but I don't think I've really seen an antiwar film. Every film about war ends up being pro-war."

Essentially, to show something is to ennoble it. Even Platoon, as horrible as it is, glorifies aspects of war. And you can make the argument that when you ennoble something, no matter how horrible the thing is, people are able to take its side in argument.
>>
>>14825652
Deservingly.
There's only like, 7 major series in Macross, II is certainly not the worst one, and I'm sure you could find a second-worst entry that is shitter than II.
You could elect F, Delta, or Zero to the bottom three really easily.
>>
>>14835986
I don't hate Zero at all. Arkan is one of my favourite (and it's the most underrated) Macross songs. I actually like Sara -- at the very least I find her tolerable. Overall it's a decent mecha OVA with some great VF vs VF action.
>>
File: hikaru-ichijo.jpg (375KB, 600x849px)
hikaru-ichijo.jpg
375KB, 600x849px
>>14825544
>real mecha fans
They like SDF, Plus, II and Zero

>idolfags, moefags, shoujofags, waifufags and musicafags
They like Frontier, Delta and 7
>>
Is there a bluray release of 7 with decent subtitles?

I grabbed Pineapple Salad's release, since it sounded ok, but the CA subs have terrible translator comments and shit and it's all just one sub track.

I would rather not watch close to 50 episodes of pic related.
>>
>>14848788

That's the only time I remember something like that
>>
>>14848800
The first episode had one explaining who Minmay was, maybe it stops after the first few eps.
>>
>>14848788

CA throws in maybe 2 TL comments in the entire series. These subs have been around since the 90's, and were done back in the days when translating to natural English was the norm. One time is to clarify that they didn't fuck up a pronoun (your picture). The other is to explain a wordplay Michael makes about the Japanese pronunciation of English letter H and the Japanese word Ecchi sounding similar; it's one of the few times I've seen a situation where there wasn't any way to make that work through a natural-english translation.
>>
>>14848821
Yeah, I'm familiar with their subs.
LoGH had them, but it sort of fit since it was all historical references and the overall feel of the show sort of worked with it.
>>
7 = The iDOLM@STER
Frontier = K-ON
Delta = Love Live! School Idol Project
>>
>>14848529
You posted this in the other thread already you sperg. Doesn't make it any less wrong.
>>
>>14847628
I want to bully alto
>>
>>14848032

No, I'm disagreeing with you because I don't find what you say true. I don't have a quote to back me up, but I don't think your quote is true just because someone more famous said it either.
>>
>>14848032
Well then why the fuck are you even watching Macross then?
>>
>>14848846
pls Ranka Lee get out
>>
>>14848838
Plus = Hatsune Miku
SDF = Miki Matsubara
Zero = some hippy recording
FB2012 = some youtube AMV
>>
Would you fuck max?
>>
File: minmay15.jpg (57KB, 480x640px)
minmay15.jpg
57KB, 480x640px
>>
File: sara-mao-nome.jpg (102KB, 800x639px) Image search: [Google]
sara-mao-nome.jpg
102KB, 800x639px
>>
SDF Macross > DYRL > Plus (both versions) > 7 Dynamite > Zero > II > rest of 7 > Frontier > Delta
>>
>>14826442
I put original first, but that aside, the difference between those 3 and the rest is abysmal.
>>
Everything >>>>>>>>>>>> Delta
>>
>>14848826
>>14848821
I actually live in the city with the CA group. I've been mingling with them starting very recently. Only until recently did he stop using his old Amiga computer to subtitle releases. I'll ask him what model Amiga he used.

Part of the reason that I speculate on why TL notes are so sparse is because Heibi himself doesn't actually speak fluently. The guy who chiefly translated was an actual Japanese citizen who moved back after completing his education. Hardly any of the CA releases even have TL notes as >>14848821 said. In recent memory I can recall only one release with TL notes: the Yamato release, and all these notes are stuffed in the credits. I think I'll ask him his opinion on TL notes.

I personally saw no glaring issues with the 7 release and it was subbed when the translator was still in town so I can assure it is fine.
>>
>>14826380
My nigga
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.