[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IBO S2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 40

File: Barbatos Lupus cockpit.png (937KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
Barbatos Lupus cockpit.png
937KB, 1280x738px
I honestly didn't even know it was releasing yet, but I just got through episode 1.
I didn't like the first season because of how it executed a lot of it's ideas, but this episode wasn't so bad.
I guess since I already knew I'd get all this exposition I didn't mind it, however it felt a bit more subtle this time, at least outside of the scene near the beginning that just explains the current state of the world.

But it was a pretty enjoyable episode, the animation was alright, and most of the better animation is given to the barbatos and Shino's launch.
I'm feeling slightly optimistic about this Season though, there's no way they can do worse than S1 now.
>>
I liked it. I'm cautiously hopeful, since S1 did the same thing; good first episode, stays good for a bit, goes to shit.
>>
>>14809334
No one knew it was out
>>
>>14809334
Well to be fair, even the first episode or two of Season one 'Wasn't so bad' wasn't until like 4 or 5 people began realizing that the tone was gonna be nothing happens and kids go on a trip though space. Occasionally there's Robots.
>>
>>14810451
This
>>
>>14809334
>I'm feeling slightly optimistic about this Season though, there's no way they can do worse than S1 now.

Lol these seem like the famous last words.
Listen, no matter how shit a show is, there is always a shittier one.
>>
>>14811680

Yeah. I mean, considering the show's reception in Japan I'm going to bet on them making a few tweeks to the show in response to criticism. IBO has a dedicated fanbase who love the show for what it is. So if they start changing things to try and make it more appealing, those guys might go apeshit over them ruining the show.

We've gotten talk about how season one made things worse for people, yet Tekkadan still are only thinking about their own happiness. The season could go on that angle and people would cry about how Tekkadan did nothing wrong. Mikazuki's issues and how he's not someone people should want to be would piss off people who rave he's the best Gundam protag ever over all the whiny bitches going on about UNDERSTANDING. You get the idea.

It's actually kinda funny, but Japan's complaints about Mika mirror those they have for Kira. Their lack of emotions make them seem inhuman, and how they only focus on their own goals and don't care about people who suffer as a consequence of their actions. They're both considered selfish characters, and it's funny because a lot of people would call Mika the Anti-Kira.
>>
>>14811722
the final stretch was good. All the space mafia bulshit was crap. Kudelia sugoi and her old mentor was even worse.
>>
It was ok, I guess.
>>
>>14811680
Not only that since when has a Second Gundam season ever been better than the first?
>>
>>14811733
Space yakuza was fine.
Unless you're a Japanese parent who pays their PTA fees.
>>
>>14811680
>>14811754
Adding to that, it'll be the first time that both seasons are awful in a row (assuming it doesn't end up being the other way around).
>>
>>14811764
I wouldn't say season 1 was even awful in a traditional sense, it was just so damn dull and forgettable.

Which in a way is worse. I mean a show that is so bad it makes people sperg out at least provoked a reaction of some sort. The most confusing thing is how does IBO even have funs.
>>
>>14811780
Excellent question. By all accounts, the show should have people bored out of their minds. Even slice of life shows are more exciting than this.
>>
>>14809334
S1 had a solid first episode too. The problem comes from them not having enough content for 25 episodes with the pacing being off.
>>
>>14811780
>The most confusing thing is how does IBO even have funs.
It's not really that hard. People see Mika, think he's the shit because he kills without whining about UNDERSTANDING, and become fans to support him. They think lengthy exposition constitutes good storytelling and worldbuilding, call the show gritty because it looks like another brown shooter... you get the idea. A lot of the guys I see praising IBO, to me it's less like they're praising the show and more like they're talking about some idealized version of it.
>>
>>14811754
ZZ not even kidding.
>>
>>14809334
What I am curious about this season whether it would remain a tale of skulduggery between various groups or go for a full out war near the end.
Personally, I don't think latter is going to happen because it would take too much time to have that kind of buildup.
>>14811780
>how does IBO even have funs.
Because many have taken in the whole "gritty" aesthetics such as orphans made to fight and fighting for themselves, melee only weapons instead of beam spams, cruel and harsh world out to exploit kids and not going for the whole "make peace and understand each other by stopping this war " and have the so called "protagonists" fighting tooth and nail etc etc makes it "mature" "real" "war" drama" (because that's all Gundam is all about amirite? Same crowd that gulps down Thunderbolt as masterpiece).
I think this is kind of what I should term as"starving kids in Africa fighting as child soldiers" syndrome. Deep down the instincts for rooting for the underdog is at play in them, which is why the obvious problems of the show are not palpable for them (or intentionally ignoring it).
And this is the reason why some think Mika is the shit as pointed out here>>14812001
despite the fact that show itself is trying to present it as a very tragic thing like pointing out how Mika is still an illiterate, to make it obvious that a kid of his age must study instead of killing someone in cold blood. Heck they even went to point out adverse side effect of Tekkadan action at the beginning of this season. Plus with the scene of the confused reaction of those two newcomers after witnessing the children around them taking part in the action like a army vet and chiding them for their callousness, they tried to hammer this point of view one again. Now it's up to audience how it takes it.
tl;dr - they think it's gundam being very REAL because of the aforementioned reasons, despite season 1 was dull despite these interspersed and repetitive elements.
>>
>>14811780
People usually judge a show by the first three episodes, which in IBO's case are pretty solid (before it took a tumble down the medicore).
>>
>>14812001
>A lot of the guys I see praising IBO, to me it's less like they're praising the show and more like they're talking about some idealized version of it.

Funny thing I have found about IBO is talking and thinking about the show is way more entertaining than watching the show itself.
Maybe due to fact that we deal with only relevant stuff minus the otiose that one experiences when one actually watch the show in it's entirety.
>>
File: enhanced frustration engaged.png (403KB, 618x345px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced frustration engaged.png
403KB, 618x345px
>>14813638
>a full out war near the end.
Wait till we show these Free-birther honor and power of Clans with our superior BEAM SPAMS!
>>
I always see the same sort of complaints about season one, about there being not enough action, but then I see these people praising turn a Gundam which had even less in the first thirty episodes. I'm not sure what that's about.
>>
>>14813669
>about there being not enough action,
What they meant to say was show being dull in a bad way. Whereas the Turn A was dull in a good way.
>>
I moderately enjoyed the first season and I expect I will do so with the second as well.
>>
File: CuI-Ha1VUAELFy8.jpg (139KB, 1000x1163px) Image search: [Google]
CuI-Ha1VUAELFy8.jpg
139KB, 1000x1163px
Some Epyon vibes
>>
>>14813679
>What they meant to say was show being dull in a bad way. Whereas the Turn A was dull in a good way.

Thats actually a really good way of putting it.
>>
>>14813669
Action doesn't just refer to fighting. IBO suffers from a lack of things happening. You can go whole episodes in which the characters and the plot don't move an inch, or where we aren't shown anything new. I'm a bit biased towards IBO and I'll admit it. However there's a problem when you have entire episodes consisting of people sitting down and expositioning to the audience. I'd be fine with these conversations if we learnt something new, or if people did something, but that ain't there.
>>
This is that poor man's A/Z.
>>
>>14813638
>Now it's up to audience how it takes it.

I think this is one of the bigger problems with the show. IBO fans don't see Tekkadan as tragic, nor do they see their actions as questionable. They'll talk about how Tekkadan are justified in what they do, or how they want to quit being mercs in the future.

Like, I have this one guy who keeps gushing about how Tekkadan are like Diamond Dogs, praising the show for it's brothers in arms concept. One, he doesn't seem to realize how questionable some of DDs actions are and two, that DD became part of Outer Heaven... the bad guys of the original Metal Gear.
>>
I kind of concur with OP. First episode was pretty solid, and this season ought to be better than the first one. I'm still cautious though. Just because it should be better than the first season, doesn't mean it *will* be.
>>
IBO is one of my top 3 Gundam series.

I do like the atmosphere, the realism and the way, the fights were handled.
I also find the characters relatable, especially the members of Tekkadan.
>>
>>14815177
Didn't the narration acknowledge that Tekkadan made the world a worse place though?
>>
>>14815264
It didn’t really acknowledge it, but yeah everything is worse now it seems, some things changed but is still a horrible world that exploits children’s or something like that
>>
>>14815264
Yeah, and it doesn't make these guys reconsider. They just go "Tekkadan are just looking out for themselves. Why should they give a fuck about anyone else when they were treated like shit before? They can only rely on each other, and that's what make this series so badass. None of this moral victory, we are better than them bullshit other shows have. They get the job done and get paid."
>>
>>14815339
This is so acurate it hurts.

I swear anytime I see someone singing praises for IBO it's always this. The whole Tekkedan is cool because they don't give a shit thing, they look out for each other, because they're a real family. Saw one dude saying it was some 'male' thing like male bonding or some shit at one point, like some regular normal ass bro shit or something.

Or whenever people say the like Mika and it boils down to 'He kills people' and various ways of saying her has the personality of a brick without saying it like that.
>>
I don't know, it seems like the same setup as the first episode.
>Exposition
>Politics
>Character introduction
>Episode ends on at the moment Barbatos joins the battle

Yeah other Gundam shows do this, but it seems so much worse with IBO. I hate these kinds of breaks in combat, its like a cheap way to get people to watch the next episode. "Well the battle started I guess I got to watch the next episode to see how it turns out." If they repeat this for the next arcs I'll probably still watch, but my opinion will drop when it comes to IBO.
>>
>>14815264
Kind of.
There are good and bad things that resulted from s1. Tekkadan brought greater prosperity and independence for Mars and the outer sphere and are funding an orphanage, but they also dialed up the war economy in the process and weakened the peacekeeping force.
>>14815339
>Why should they give a fuck about anyone else when they were treated like shit before?
That's exactly why they showed Eugene talking about not being like the geezers from CGS and building a world where the new guys don't need to undergo risky surgery to make a living.
>>
>>14815377
Power fantasy.

People are quick to ignore drawbacks, even when a show spells out to you how the cast is in an unenviable position, because of the power fantasy.

If the writers don't fuck it up I expect to see this notion torn to absolute pieces in a very ham fisted WAR ISN'T A GAME YOU STUPID FUCK, AND THOSE ORPHANS SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN FORCED DOWN THIS PATH JUST TO EARN THEIR OWN HAPPINESS fashion.
>>
>>14815397
I'm all for power fantasy, it's just yeah when it's done like this yeah, it's just stupid.

I don't know it's also the complete fucking way they go about dismissing everything people say negatively about it too. I don't know why I find it particularly annoying, which is odd because for the most part I'm utterly neutral about the show.
>>
>>14815404
Probably because they act like IBO is different from the usual Gundam fare despite also having its own "war is some fucked up shit" story to tell.

Yknow, the Gundam version of "oh it's not a mecha anime. It just has mecha in it." That sort of bizarre ignorance of storytelling conventions.
>>
>>14815404
I dunno. I really like the show but I'm not going to act like it's perfect. The "we're a family, we can only move forward" thing the Tekkadan kids have is endearing but they're pretty clearly on the road to hell. It's nice that it's not another rehash of "Hey, colonist! Some crazy spacenoids started a war and since you're the son of a mobile suit designer you need to get in this Gundam and fight for the Federation in order to protect your friends". Sure, it's not the only one to break that, but Tekkadan is still a premise that hasn't been done in Gundam before.
>>14815421
It's fair to say that it's outside the usual formula, but it is still pushing the same themes. The prominence of non-MS in the battles is unique among Gundam shows, but the battles are still ultimately decided by the mobile suits anyway. Honesttly, though, I really wouldn't be surprised if s2 is only about rooting out the corruption (namely McGillis) without renouncing war. I just can't imagind Mikazuki going all Kio or Kira at this point. I'm kind of expecting a bittersweet ending where the day is saved at the cost of Tekkadan itself but with an epilogue of Mika taking care of a crippled Orga and running that farm or something.
>>
>>14815474
Really most gundam shows have already broken that formula you spelled out, IBO is hardly one of the few.

That said yeah Tekadan is something new I guess if nothing else, but I personally thing 00 did child soldiers better and it wasn't even the main focus, just a backstory bit to setsuna.
>>
>>14815404
People for years have been going on about how awful Gundam protags have been as of late. All UNDERSTANDING or I DONT WANNA KILL! Those guys wanted a protagonist who isn't like that, one who can get the job done without being a whiny little bitch for 50 episodes and just accept that he has to kill.

If I had to sum it up, they want IBO to be a dream come true rather than a wish on a monkey's paw.

They also don't like hearing anything negative about it's reception in Japan either. They want to believe it's the next big thing like SEED or 00, likely to validate that their wishes are good for Gundam.
>>
>>14815493
This is honestly the answer I've seen that makes the most sense. It honestly seems like most of them are in denial and hyping them selves up on their 'Hype Train' as they call it.

Not to say everyone is like that there have been more than a few people who just like it but I've noticed allot of fanboyiing for this series with people denying anything bad about it for some reason even more than other recent entries of gundam, and I think the whole anti 'UNDERSTANDING' group thing really explains it.
>>
>>14815474
>I'm kind of expecting a bittersweet ending where the day is saved at the cost of Tekkadan itself but with an epilogue of Mika taking care of a crippled Orga and running that farm or something.
I'm expecting Mika to push his AV to the limit, leaving him a vegetable when not plugged in. Orga then mercy-kills him under the guise of bringing him to a happier place, standing in contrast to Gaelio's actions to save Ein in season 1.
>>
>>14815493
I never really looked at Mika that way before but he is a bit of an anti hero

And tekadan is a lot like Zeon
>>
File: 1475145070263.png (1MB, 768x1282px) Image search: [Google]
1475145070263.png
1MB, 768x1282px
>>14815536
In Japan, it's not that uncommon of an opinion to hear that he's evil.
>>
>>14815541
Yeah it's mostly the west that see's him as a hero, or at worse an Anti Hero. (Which is acceptable, it's just the people thinking he's some sort of Heroic sort that baffles me)
>>
>>14815553
I remember one guy here that went on about how Tekkadan were true knights, unlike Gjallarhorn. He even went on for a bit about how Mika giving up the mace and using a katana was meant to symbolize how he grew into being a real samurai.

I don't think I've ever laughed that hard. If that anon is here, what does it mean when Mikazuki is using an oni's weapon now?
>>
>>14815492
>most gundam shows have already broken that formula
Not really, no.
Zeta drifted slightly outside it by also including an earthnoid faction along with the two factions of wacky spacenoids. ZZ didn't have the "son of a MS designer" but it reverted back to only wacky spacenoid enemies. CCA was a continuation of MSG. F91 was spacenoid-only but returned to the "son of an MS engineer", Victory had "son of the resistance leader" but stuck to the formula every other way. Unicorn had the usual "your dad built this mobile suit" and the usual earthnoid/spacenoid factions but didn't actually go to war. Reco went the Victory route where the parents were important but not MS designers but ultimately still boiled down to spacenoids vs earthnoids. AGE tripled the "your parents worked on this MS" thing and had the mc fighting for the Federation against those wacky spacenoids. Kou wasn't the son of an MS designer, but he still got iin the Gundam to fight for the Earth Federation because wacky spacenoid colonial independence. 08th is the same, It only misses on the "son of an MS designer" part.

X was kind of halfway in the formula. Garrod's parents were unknown and the war was already over, but then a new earth/space war broke out, though Garrod and friends weren't on either side. Wing was also halfway in there because the Gundam pilots were spacenoids fighting against earth government, but still your usual colonial independence plot.

G almost got completely out from under it. Conflict was between colonies but there wasn't even a war or a federation, they still did the "son of a mobile suit engineer" thing, but that was it.

00 stands completely outside the formula. Colonies were almost unheard of, the MCs are trying to accomplish geopolitical unification before aliens show up, MC doesn't whine about fighting, it broke the mold in pretty much every way. IBO makes no mention of Mika's parents, there is no space vs earth war, the MC is even from Mars.
>>
>>14815536
Eh, I guess in that he doesn't fit the typical formula of the hero, but I feel he's not really any flavor of hero rather than a guy whose life story kinda forces people who interact with him to reflect on their own selves.

He's the kind of person people would elevate to a living legend, and the legend would carry the weight of his influence when the reality of Mikazuki is that he's just a guy who does his job and doesn't think too hard about the small details.

He's the protagonist, but he's not a hero.

Not unless he decides there's something worth fighting for on his own volition, without Orga doing the thinking for him.
>>
>>14815493
So, they are like their version of our own G-Recofags?

Needless to say, I don't envy them.

Although, it's nice to hear that /m/ isn't the problem for once.
>>
>>14815564
Oh god lol please tell me someone screen capped this.
>>
>>14815541
I've seen his evil genius from the start

He's happy to sit there until he has someone to fight for his best interest

He uses Orga to create Tekadan

He uses kudelias voice after he realizes it can stop a whole army.

He is completely self serving, it doesn't seem like he even fights for revenge like most gundam protagonists.
He just wants to fight so he can chill

Atleast I really hope he's forcing Orgas hand a bit, not just a lap dog.
>>
>>14815647
I think he does it because he has no real capacity for initiative, so he hounds Orga partially because he lap dogs like that, and partially because it's his way of lighting a fire under Orga's ass when necessary.

They feed into each other in rather unhealthy ways, because they don't see any other path for them to take thanks to their really fucked up lives.
>>
>>14815647
Someone please post the "Who should I kill Orga" scene.
>>
>>14810451
I knew it was coming, was hard to forget with it being on Toonami and all.
>>
>>14813638
Thunderbolt was just really, really pretty, and it was a bunch of rank-and-file soldiers fighting a war instead of yet another golden-boy civilian charming his way into the military and into a Gundam in one fell swoop.
>>
File: Warishell.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Warishell.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>14815682
Y'know, I don't think people give enough credit to Thunderbolts directing. It communicates a lot in a short amount of time.

I like this scene because it very effectively communicates Daryls situation. I like that bit where the wind pulls away the white umbrella and segues into the white parachute, showing that Daryl has been dragged out of a happy family life. It's not amazing cinematography, but it works really well.
>>
>>14815690
I took that scene more to symbolize the loss of innocence.

And also how losing his legs meant he'll never be able to go back to running on the beach all carefree.

I mean, keep in mind he's the career soldier. I don't think being dragged out of the civilian life means much to him, he was in it for the service.

It just cost him something he can't just get back with a snap of the fingers. His peg legs aren't a substitute for the real thing.
>>
>>14811722
>IBO has a dedicated fanbase who love the show for what it is. So if they start changing things to try and make it more appealing, those guys might go apeshit over them ruining the show.
They deserve it, these people use their forums as safe spaces to bar any form of criticism.
>>
>>14817606

And yet they'll just say /m/ is our safeplace where we can shitpost about a show that's amazing, just to be contrarian.

>>14815553
>Which is acceptable, it's just the people thinking he's some sort of Heroic sort that baffles me

Me too. I mean, I see a lot of excuses for his character. People go on about how broken he is as a person, how he wants to protect his friends and how he eventually wants to be a farmer. I mean, I get it. He is fucked up, something in his past did quite a number on him mentally. To a lot of people, those allow them to excuse his actions. He's the plucky underdog who will do whatever it takes to win.

I'm really kinda hoping this season tries to be, I don't know, more in your face about how fucked up he and Tekkadan are. That some of their actions should make the viewers feel uneasy. Maybe we in the West are more desensitized to this sort of thing than in Japan? That our pop culture has made it easier for us to accept and cheer what goes on in IBO?
>>
File: ss+(2016-10-03+at+10.01.51).jpg (12KB, 183x180px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-10-03+at+10.01.51).jpg
12KB, 183x180px
>the animation was alright
>>
File: ss+(2016-10-03+at+10.06.33).jpg (37KB, 505x421px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-10-03+at+10.06.33).jpg
37KB, 505x421px
>>14818383
>>
File: ss+(2016-10-03+at+10.00.48).jpg (12KB, 319x236px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-10-03+at+10.00.48).jpg
12KB, 319x236px
>>14818387
>>
>>14818383
>animation
>post still picture
wtf
>>
You guys think we're going to get anything on how season 1 created demand for more child soldiers/slaves, or is that simply window dressing for the new season?
>>
>>14818880
It will explain the appearance of more mercenary groups with human debris piloting alaijna-whatever mobile suits
>>
>>14812001
>They think lengthy exposition constitutes good storytelling and worldbuilding
The good worldbuilding comes from the interesting ways they've tweaked the world we know to what it is in the show, given the events of that universe's past. "The government released propaganda against transhuman technologies after Giant War to keep people from partaking in them and becoming a threat," is a genuinely interesting notion, and this last episode with the Martian children SUGOIing at the thought of getting the process done to them speaks volumes about the Earth/Mars separation.

But I keep forgetting that /m/ watches Gundam for pretty mech battles instead of fun geopolitical shenanigans. It shouldn't surprise me when they can't recognize the latter.
>>
>>14819138
>But I keep forgetting that the giant robot board is primarily interested in giant robots
>>
>>14815177
>IBO fans don't see Tekkadan as tragic, nor do they see their actions as questionable.
I guess I won't speak for anyone else, but I do see Tekkadan as tragic, I do think that what they do is often morally questionable. Yet, at the same time, I can understand why they do things that may seem brutal, and I can further connect that to the real-life behavior and rationale of both traditional armies and mercenaries.

What makes IBO good is that it has us having these conversations. It's an earnest examination of a lot of the assumptions we've made about the moral and narrative underpinnings of Gundam. And not because it's gritty; because it makes calculated (if often predictable and sometimes trite) subversive plays.
>>
>>14819138
>Martian children SUGOIing at the thought of getting the process done to them speaks volumes about the Earth/Mars separation.

You see, this is good writing. It's a natrual way to demonstrate the earth/mars class divide. It's something that I hope IBO continues, because it's the sort of thing that S1 sorely lacked in.
>>
>>14819138
It's /m/, if anybody talk about politics here, prepare to get steamrolled.

Remember that.
>>
Does anyone know how long the time skip between S1 and S2?
>>
>>14818413
That's the problem: too many stills
Also
>the scene with Barbatos dropping in
>they pull the same "let's cover up all the hard to animate shit with dust/smoke/snow so we don't have to animate it" that they pulled all of season 1
>>
>>14819273
the power of still shots was so strong Barbatos broke
>>
>>14809334
>didn't even know the first episode to season 2 was airing this month let alone already did

Holy shit did Sunrise just lose all hope for this? They hyped the first season out the ass meanwhile aside from one trailer I didn't hear single thing about IBO season 2 other than it airing sometime this year.
>>
>>14813669
Turn A didn't spend more than half the series in a spaceship giving exposition dumps about stuff that they already told us in the first few episodes.
>>
>>14822597
I remember there were 2 PVs and gunpla being shown at expos.

It wouldn't really surprise me if Sunrise has lost some faith in IBO.

> Show pulls in the same ratings as the Kio parts of AGE It's a popular meme that the show is killing it's programming block.
> PTA/Media watchdog groups dislike the show which may have played a factor in the ratings.
> Despite getting a lot more promotion, video sales were only slightly higher than G-Reco, with later volumes not surpassing their counterparts.
> Debates in Japan about whether it's better than G-Reco are pretty tight. G-Reco gets a lot of points for it's visuals and unusual storytelling, while IBO gets points for, well being not as offputting and more straightforward. The only real consensus is that it's better than AGE.
> There are viewers who think Mika is evil. He rarely made it into Newtype polls and didn't make the top 10 during the last Anime Grand Prix.
> In the West, the show is still rather niche. It constantly delivers a nutshot to Toonami's ratings every week, causing between 20-25% of the audience to tune out.

Only thing that really does well is, despite a few stinkers, the Gunpla. So I can see Bandai being enthusiastic about the show but they were probably expecting it to be bigger during season one's production. It could simply be a case of them altering expectations. Despite what I said, S1 didn't sell horribly. It still has a fanbase, just not one as big as the previous big entries in the franchise.
>>
>>14822658
Where should Bandai go next from here?
They need another 00, a real hit.
>>
>>14822673
Thing I've noticed is that each series tries to reflect the criticisms made about the previous one.

> Destiny was originally supposed to be more serious due to fans saying SEED was baby's first Gundam.
> 00s1 acted as an argument against Kira's resolution at the end of Destiny. Also, get teenage males back into the franchise.
> 00s2 was more Gundamy due to fans saying it wasn't Gundam enough.
> AGE was meant to get children back into Gundam because small kids didn't like 00.
> Build Fighters and G-Reco are hard to say, because they weren't pushed like other Gundams.
> IBO looks gritty and more mature, maybe in response to AGE.

What the next series is like will likely be shaped by IBO's reception... which may lead to another Kira.
>>
>>14822693
In what way was Destiny trying to be more serious than Seed? Both dealt with the same world's politics and racial topics. Plot-wise, Seed was a minor retread of 0079's adventures while Destiny had elements of Zeta. I'm not really sure what Destiny changed to try to be more serious?

>AGE was meant to get children back into Gundam because small kids didn't like 00.
It wasn't that small kids didn't like 00, but Sunrise/Bandai were always trying to court the younger demographics into getting to know Gundam. Stuff like SD however well it was working still wasn't doing well enough for them, they wanted to expand their reach.

>IBO looks gritty and more mature, maybe in response to AGE.
No, there's not really a connection. Age wasn't that much of a success, they're still trying to gain more numbers with younger demographics, they simply shifted to a different approach via GBF/GBFT. If IBO was a response to AGE, then they're several years late.
>>
>>14813638
>tl;dr - they think it's gundam being very REAL because of the aforementioned reasons, despite season 1 was dull despite these interspersed and repetitive elements.
Real life is dull 90% of the time.

Flashy pointless beamspam fights every single ep like Zeta might retain the ADHD crowd but just makes everything feel like a colossal farce.
>>
>>14822986
Except I wanted to see them polish their mechs and ships, unscrewing and screwing nuts and bolts, pressing the button of the magical healing pods just like in real life than shitty violin music with Kudelia mopping around and nothing happening.

Besides by REAL they mean well chiseled boys fighting and dying since war footage do not satiate their blood lust anymore.

There is a difference between what simply saying "real" implies and what "real life " means.
For "real life", there are SoL anime anyway.

Take your "i am so mature watching dull shit" somewhere else. Everyone is living a dull life anyway, I am not a nu-male beta faggot otherwise their is mirror and cctv footage to watch.
>>
>>14822693
>which may lead to another Kira
If we had a Kira playing the part of the self-righteous villain it could work.
>>
File: gendum jump cut.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
gendum jump cut.gif
2MB, 540x304px
>>14820866
Yeah. But really, they use so many little tricks to keep from having to actually animate too much, like the aforementioned dust trick and in this gif notice how as Barbatos swings the clubsword a jump cut happens that skips Barbatos actually hitting the other mobile suit and just shows a shaky cam of the clubsword smashed through some armor. No actual animation of the whole process of hitting. Also not to mention that they don't use true 2D backgrounds or landscapes anymore, using 3D CG backdrops, which sometimes clash really hard and also make it impossible to put in other landmarks like larger rocks, etc. in the scene without them looking bad since they would be 3D as well.
>>
>>14822764

> SEED - Destiny

The initially tried to spin Destiny as being a more serious series than it's predecessor. Considering Fukuda himself has made statements to the effect that he was just trying to make an exciting series rather than having a real anti-war discussion, I think it's likely that the problem lies with his refusal to change than. They wanted it to be more serious while the director didn't.
>>
People thought the first two episodes of IBO season 2 were exciting?
>>
>>14815397
They already did what you described in the end of the first season.
>>
>>14825022
Start of the second, you mean.

Sure Mika burnt out some of his nerves but the lack of named deaths on Tekkadan's end practically translated to a flawless victory feelgood battle.
>>
>>14825042
>practically translated to a flawless victory
I disagree. A bunch of people died, even if we didn't get their names until the gravestone in ep 26, not to mention Biscuit's death puts the mission pretty fucking far from "flawless".

Sure it wasn't a named-character-bloodbath, but it's nowhere near a "a couple of gundams take on an army without taking a hit" like Destiny's ending was. Put that next to the fact that Tekkadn's success in getting Makanai to the election played perfectly into McGillis's power grab and it's really kind of a hollow victory (even more so after the ep 26 narration about child soldiers becoming more common and violence breaking out everywhere).
>>
>>14825132
It's really only hammered in on S2 in that 26th episode though.

Now if you expand it to the full campaign then yeah the show has its best choice words picked out for how much war isn't fun via Carta's arc, but along the way the show kinda begins to follow the pro-Tekkadan narrative in such a way that the really fucked up stuff feels glossed over until S2 goes and says "ok so this is the shit the Tekkadan QCCS defense force doesn't want you to know about how the Edmonton campaign affected geopolitics."
>>
>>14825179
But, up until that point, there were kind of justified in the things they were doing. They were protecting themselves and Kudelia. The CGS guys would have gladly sent them on suicide missions; everyone who attacked them... attacked them. Even then, there were shades of, "You guys don't really need to go about it this specific way," usually via Biscuit.

Besides, the dissonance when they start taking out people who kind of didn't deserve it wouldn't have been as effective without that set-up.
>>
File: ZvCwU1y.gif (699KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
ZvCwU1y.gif
699KB, 540x304px
Threesome ending?
>>
>>14825310
Kinda sorta but they really shouldn't have to have walked down that road to begin with.

Thematically this is the same routine MGS5 indulges in. Instead of walking away from a shitstorm you double down on REVENGE, and by seeing only the protagonists' vision of events you have no real objectivity with which to evaluate the worth of the quest for revenge.

5 happens to have the walking inkblot test that is Huey, though. He fucks up in his own ways but as the outsider he recognizes how deranged Diamond Dogs is, and the end result is this sort of double standard where it's ok when the Dogs do shifty shit but when Huey does it it's badwrong.

Then again Merribit sorta serves the same role for Tekkadan as someone who hasn't been around long enough to assimilate Tekkadan's narrative and has the neutrality needed to call bullshit on things.

I just feel S1 just has a lot of time spent reinforcing Tekkadan's narrative, to a point the show doesn't really deal out the full brunt of DON'T DO THIS THING, DON'T BE LIKE THESE PEOPLE like it could.
>>
>>14822673
How about that Crossbone adaptation? It might fix shit,with it being glorious UC and not some shitty AU for the Nth time.
>>
>>14825389
>5 happens to have the walking inkblot test that is Huey, though. He fucks up in his own ways but as the outsider he recognizes how deranged Diamond Dogs is, and the end result is this sort of double standard where it's ok when the Dogs do shifty shit but when Huey does it it's badwrong.
That might have meant something if Huey wasn't shown to be a massive liar and hypocrite. Him calling out, say, Snake killing the infected staff in the quarantine strut means nothing because HE CAUSED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Literally everything Huey could call Diamond Dogs out on is, directly or otherwise, his fault, from his betrayal enabling the end of Mother Base onwards.
>>
>>14825389
>DON'T DO THIS THING, DON'T BE LIKE THESE PEOPLE like it could.
Why would you want IBO to do this?
>>
>>14826458
The only evidence Huey did anything beyond let Strangelove die is pure speculation on the part of the Diamond Dogs, based on the premise that because Huey didn't suffer like they did, he must have profited from the matter, and is thus in bed with Cipher.

And it's accepted as fact because DIAMOND DOGS ARE THE GOOD GUYS THEY FIGHT THE JUST WAR AGAINST THE EVIL FORCES OF CIPHER CLEARLY HUEY DID EVERYTHING WRONG BECAUSE HE DIDN'T SUFFER LIKE WE DID HE ISN'T ONE OF US!
>>
>>14826635
> "you killed your comrades just because they were deathly ill with infectious diseas you badwrong evil person!"
> -c the guy who let the mother of his kid die asphyxiated because she had gotten the boy away from his child experimentating ass
>>
>>14825389
>5 happens to have the walking inkblot test that is Huey, though. He fucks up in his own ways but as the outsider he recognizes how deranged Diamond Dogs is, and the end result is this sort of double standard where it's ok when the Dogs do shifty shit but when Huey does it it's badwrong.

>>14826635
>The only evidence Huey did anything beyond let Strangelove

Congratulations! You've won first place in the 'stupid post competition!
>>
>>14826635
>The only evidence Huey did anything beyond let Strangelove die is pure speculation on the part of the Diamond Dogs

Yeah man everything is a coincidence. Everyone was coincidentally infected when he decided to modify the virus, MB was coincidentally invaded during an inspection he suggested, accidently taught eli how the metal gear worked so he could steal it
>>
>>14826635
Don't you have a pool to drown in, Huey?
>>
DD may have their moments and ended up becoming Outer Heaven, but Huey has no grounds whatsoever to act morally superior.
>>
>>14824577
Anime Suki and ANN have masturbated to them ferociously
>>
hey guys gundam.info won't let me watch #27 due to region restrictions in canada.

any other good sources? I've been out of the loop on torrents and the animes.
>>
>>14827139
Fair, but at the same time the Diamond Dogs had no real objective framework with which to ascertain Huey's guilt, other than at the least the issue of criminally negligent manslaughter in the death of Strangelove.

That's really the only crime of his that, strictly speaking, could be proven. Everything else was conjecture assembled with the intent to finger Huey for all blame despite DD's big names consisting of

>the body double of the greatest soldier in the world who's willing to do anything and everything to create his nation of soldiers, even if it means using his charisma to brainwash people into serving as sacrificial pawns
>a man who played ball with the shiftiest spook outfit unknown to man just to get a financial jumpstart only to nearly unleash nuclear armageddon by meddling around with the Peace Walker project, because it's good business
>the quintessential backstab-happy triple agent whose trustworthiness is purely a function of how much Big Boss is involved
>a mute super-assassin jacked up with parasite voodoo after that time you kicked her out of a hospital building. After lighting her on fire. Because third degree burns and several cardboard boxes to the head instill loyalty.
>an old man who has expert knowledge on parasite voodoo who only has his word (and WOLBACHIA) going for him to excuse him from the suspects list despite the body of his work being "how to deprive the white man of nuclear materials because fuck the white man."

Huey?
He's a coward and a technophile.
Sure that gives a lot of room to explain how he could've done it, but that can in fact be said of pretty much every named character still alive at this point.

His guilt and their innocence is all based on the idea that Huey never suffered during all of this, which is quite honestly a flimsy rationalization for kicking off public enemy number 1 from your ocean clubhouse.

Oh also you kick this fucker off the base and still keep ST84 around wtf DD?
>>
>>14827309
Mecha Talk should be included, but then Lightning Count broke from the hive mind and bothered to speak out "you know what maybe this isn't as good as people have been saying". Lets hope Chris doesn't unload his rage on him.
>>
Should /m/ make a special section of its page on the 1d4chan wiki about things that piss us off?
>>
>>14827310
Well the best thing to do would be to not waste time on IBO.
>>
>>14827341
Wouldn't that be pretty much everything that's discussed here also seems to piss most everyone off?
>>
>>14827351
Just wait until ANN gets Lauren to review Victory.
>>
File: Cease 4.jpg (11KB, 463x331px) Image search: [Google]
Cease 4.jpg
11KB, 463x331px
>>14827359
>MFW that happens
>>
>>14827333
Even on r/Gundam there's complaints being accepted more and more. Opinion over there is still "raise your flag" but some of the more thought out criticisms , most IBO fans concede them the point.
>>
>>14825323
As the prophecy foretold.
>>
>>14826635
>And it's accepted as fact because DIAMOND DOGS ARE THE GOOD GUYS THEY FIGHT THE JUST WAR AGAINST THE EVIL FORCES OF CIPHER
I get the feeling we weren't playing the same game. I don't recall V touting one as good and the other evil, just one as 'the guys we're killing for revengeance'.
>>
I think there is a problem with IBO's pro-Tekkadan narrative, and there is one. After all, if the director says that the audience shouldn't think of them as wrong or misguided, then there is a bias in the narrative. I think season one's bias could work to season two's advantage if the show works to tell the audience that they are not heroes and start pushing the nature of their actions into the face of those who cheered them on, making the audience question whether they are justified or not.

As for the whole Diamond Dogs thing, I don't think it's quite the same. We know Venom Snake is fucked up, him admitting to being a demon isn't just the game trying to sound cool. And then there's the whole lore surrounding the MGS franchise and his involvement in the first game. Not to mention Big Boss's denouncement of his previous acts before his death. I think people who compare Tekkadan to Diamond Dogs like they're both noble heroes really need a wakeup call.
>>
>>14833855
>After all, if the director says that the audience shouldn't think of them as wrong or misguided
what?

Isn't it a fairly large part of the plot that they were being used?
>>
File: ibo prev 28 1.jpg (46KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 1.jpg
46KB, 692x389px
preview shots are coming out

> something something Kudelia was left at the school orphanage
>>
File: ibo prev 28 2.jpg-large.jpg (33KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 2.jpg-large.jpg
33KB, 692x389px
>>14836390
> pirates decided to attack tekkadan against activist guy's wishes
>>
File: ibo prev 28 3.jpg-large.jpg (50KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 3.jpg-large.jpg
50KB, 692x389px
>>14836397
>>
File: ibo prev 28 4.jpg-large.jpg (46KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 4.jpg-large.jpg
46KB, 692x389px
>>14836399
> tekkadan is going to ally with mcgillis' new fuckboy and attack pirates together with the fleet he brought
>>
File: ibo prev 28 5.jpg-large.jpg (35KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 5.jpg-large.jpg
35KB, 692x389px
>>14836401
>>
File: ibo prev 28 6.jpg-large.jpg (41KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 6.jpg-large.jpg
41KB, 692x389px
>>14836407
> sasuga mika-san so cool kyaa sugoi barbatos strong etc
>>
File: ibo prev 28 7.jpg-large.jpg (62KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 7.jpg-large.jpg
62KB, 692x389px
>>14836411
>>
File: ibo prev 28 8.jpg-large.jpg (47KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 8.jpg-large.jpg
47KB, 692x389px
>>14836413
> guts is there with his upgraded gundam gusion full city rebake baguette croquette
>>
File: ibo prev 28 9.jpg-large.jpg (43KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 9.jpg-large.jpg
43KB, 692x389px
>>14836419
can't wait for him to annihilate a bunch of pirates in an epic fight, offscreen
>>
File: ibo prev 28 10.jpg-large.jpg (41KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 10.jpg-large.jpg
41KB, 692x389px
>>14836423
> child soldiers banzai! also atra is cooking which is amazing
>>
File: ibo prev 28 11.jpg-large.jpg (46KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 11.jpg-large.jpg
46KB, 692x389px
>>14836440
>>
File: ibo prev 28 12.jpg-large.jpg (32KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 12.jpg-large.jpg
32KB, 692x389px
>>14836443
> is brown guy actually going to do anything?
>>
File: ibo prev 28 13.jpg-large.jpg (36KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 13.jpg-large.jpg
36KB, 692x389px
>>14836453
this should be it, we might actually get some space mecha fight action this week
>>
File: ibo prev 28 14.jpg-large.jpg (53KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 14.jpg-large.jpg
53KB, 692x389px
>>14836457
ah there's one more couple
> what are gendo's intentions?
>>
File: ibo prev 28 15.jpg-large.jpg (26KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 15.jpg-large.jpg
26KB, 692x389px
>>14836465
> and who is this guy from the OP?
>>
Which is the best 1/100 Barbatos kit?
>>
>>14836457
Normally in episode 3 is when shit should start happening or all hope is lost, let's wait and see
>>
>>14836469
It's either mecha Gali or mecha Ein

If it's choco man conspiring against himself I will be pissed.
>>
>>14836472
The 6th Form comes with the parts you need to make all the forms except the arm part of Forms 1-4 IIRC.
>>
>>14836419

* Weapons shown sold separately.
>>
>>14836511
Plus it comes with the mace everyone loves. 4th comes with the katana and gun.
>>
>>14836469
Will he actually speak this time?
>>
>>14836956
Well, save for mask guy shenanigans, everyone is there to kill pirates.
>>
>>14811722

I wouldn't call him the anti-Kira. The key difference is that Mika doesn't try and pull the high horse card. He's not claiming what he's doing for the sake of justice or anything righteous. He knows he's selfish. He knows he's killed and hurt people.

When he attacks Carta, he doesn't make a big proclamation of revenge for Biscuit. He doesn't claim a moral superiority in his actions. He's going to kill anyone in Tekkadan's way.
>>
File: ibo prev 28 16.jpg-large.jpg (42KB, 692x389px) Image search: [Google]
ibo prev 28 16.jpg-large.jpg
42KB, 692x389px
another preview shot

wow wrist cannons
>>
>>14839990
I hope those go away. While I respect their utility, they're not well integrated into the design.
>>
>>14838223
>He knows he's killed and hurt people.
And his willingness is what makes him an agent of evil
>>
>>14840041
I think it's more the fact he doesn't care about how his actions affect people.
>>
>>14840230
Unsurprising, given that Mars is a social darwinian shit-hole filled with people who give zero fucks about anyone else.

Just as Heero Yuy was the heart of space, Murderzuki Augus is the heart of Mars.
>>
>>14840230
I disagree that he doesn't care, I think it's more that he doesn't recognize beyond the simple notion of "I did the thing and the person stopped doing stuff, mission accomplished?"

Not caring implies it even registers on his mental process, I think he's just socially inept, which combines dangerously with his child soldier upbringing.
>>
>>14839990
So Barbatos will get the onehanded maces this episode
>>
>>14815700
>I mean, keep in mind he's the career soldier. I don't think being dragged out of the civilian life means much to him, he was in it for the service.
As a side note to the motive of why Daryl is in the army, the manga explain it; with he serving as a career soldier the status of his family would raise a little bit, and so they could be resettled somewhere in the colony and his father, that was ill, could be treated in a hospital.
>>
>>14840257
>he's just socially inept
Yeah, his entire relationship with Atra and Kudelia proves it.
He knows he needs to do action A to reach conclusion B, but he doesn't see any other option other than violence or just forcibly doing what he (or Orga) wants to reach that conclusion.
Want to know what kissing feels like? Forcibly kiss Kudelia. "Was that it?" and then he moves on with his day - mission accomplished; no caring about the consequences of what he just did and everything it implies.
>>
File: destroyallvermin.png (492KB, 602x566px) Image search: [Google]
destroyallvermin.png
492KB, 602x566px
>>14840545
like a true space rat out of hell
>>
File: 4thelonghaul.png (267KB, 512x391px) Image search: [Google]
4thelonghaul.png
267KB, 512x391px
>>14827364
it will be awful
>>
File: endovalegacy.png (233KB, 520x389px) Image search: [Google]
endovalegacy.png
233KB, 520x389px
>>14840617
say goodbye to the reputation of Tomino's best series
>>
File: itscoming.png (247KB, 522x390px) Image search: [Google]
itscoming.png
247KB, 522x390px
>>14840620
the genre itself is at the mercy of these modern tastemakers that go unopposed in their ill informed cognitive paradigm
>>
File: mechaboardvsothers.png (559KB, 522x768px) Image search: [Google]
mechaboardvsothers.png
559KB, 522x768px
>>14840623
we watch from the sidelines, hoping things get better, but better never comes nor cums
>>
File: prepare4battle.png (218KB, 523x391px) Image search: [Google]
prepare4battle.png
218KB, 523x391px
>>14840626
we keep on believing, but no work comes nor cums of this nightmare we are swimming in, ladies and gentlemen we are in the final countdown
>>
There are people who legitimately think that Victory is anything but Tomino's worst work

Okay
>>
>>14840636
because it is one of his best
>>
File: ugh.png (199KB, 491x368px) Image search: [Google]
ugh.png
199KB, 491x368px
>2chan will never read our cries of help to rescue gundam
>>
>>14840617
>>14840620
>>14840623
>>14840626
>>14840631
This is some dedicated shitposting right here.
>>
>>14840648
>This is some dedicated shitposting right here.
We are on our own
>>
>>14840651
which is a shame, we don't have to
>>
>>14840655
should we ask /pol/ if ANN is too feminist?
>>
>>14840657
not current enough
>>
File: 99a.png (252KB, 413x451px) Image search: [Google]
99a.png
252KB, 413x451px
>>14811680
>Listen, no matter how shit a show is, there is always a shittier one.

>WYR Gundam gets progressively shittier every year and you should just stop watching it.
>>
sounds like we need a bingo chart of neo-/m/
>>
File: charlie brown finds a rare pepe.png (24KB, 781x452px) Image search: [Google]
charlie brown finds a rare pepe.png
24KB, 781x452px
IBO is one of those anime that DA makes parody art of
>>
File: 28ep.jpg (1MB, 692x6220px) Image search: [Google]
28ep.jpg
1MB, 692x6220px
>>14839990
Added
All 16 preview pics in one
>>
Where do you people even get the previews anyway?
>>
>>14840726
I'd assume tartarus
>>
>>14840726
twitter
https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu?lang=en
>>
>>14840740
has /m/ talked to twitter organics?
>>
>>>/co/86985595

Toonami livestream!
>>
>>14815377
What you posted is the only thing I like about the show but I still fucking hate it and the characters for being selfish fucks who caused more child soldiers to be born, its all so tragic. I was watching a Joe Rogan podcast with that comedian who went to jail for three years, he said it was total shit but he missed it for the sense of comradery because it was like a family, but they were fucking criminals too. ibo reminds me of that.
>>
File: 1461854007813.jpg (779KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1461854007813.jpg
779KB, 900x900px
>>14839990
Barbatos Voltekka when
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.