[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you guys hate gundam wing so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

File: GundamWing.jpg (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GundamWing.jpg
61KB, 800x600px
Why do you guys hate gundam wing so much?
>>
>>14800839
I don't hate it. It's more indifference than anything. The show just spends too much time meandering on its uninteresting politics and the fights are bland.
>>
>Why do you guys hate gundam so much?

ftfy
>>
>>14800852
The show is fine so long as Relena is kept out of positions of authority. The moment she tastes any power she turns the entire show to be about her and makes amazingly terrible decisions that everyone else has to cater to.
>>
>>14800839
>he show just spends too much time meandering on its uninteresting politics

The politics are what makes Wing good in my eyes, unlike most of the characters, which drag down the show immensely. Watching the political stage constantly shift through Trieze's schemes is really fun. Watching Wufei yell at wolves about how weak everyone is on the other hand....
>>
>>14800839
People are either hating Toonami babies or are Toonami babies themselves and hating Gundam Wing is their way of putting themselves above the casuals who never moved beyond what Toonami showed.
>>
I remember liking it when I was younger, but I rewatched it not too long ago and couldn't believe I did. It's pretty poorly written and there's not a single likeable character to be had in the entire main cast.
>>
File: 26.jpg (113KB, 392x471px) Image search: [Google]
26.jpg
113KB, 392x471px
I don't hate it, I like the MS designs, the music and Duo is bro-tier, but the show itself is pretty boring with all that politics bullshit. Some people hate it because it was babies first Gundam and have the same effect to /m/ like Gurren Lagann or Evangelion does.
>>
File: 1466803814623.jpg (37KB, 319x306px) Image search: [Google]
1466803814623.jpg
37KB, 319x306px
>>14800839
Why do you guys hate ZZ gundam so much?
>>
>>14801151
Because of autistic Zetafags who can't appreciate camp. These people are not mecha fans, Gundam fans, or Tomino fans.
>>
File: 1455982279884.jpg (412KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1455982279884.jpg
412KB, 960x720px
>>14801151
I love ZZ though. Almost just as much as I love Z. The change in tone was actually pretty refreshing.
>>
>>14801151
>Why do you guys hate ZZ gundam so much?

Once upon a time few people in the west had seen Zeta Gundam. And I mean seen without any kind of translation, just the images in VHS. They said to themselves how fucking cool it looked. The rest of the fandom sheep that they are took the word of those few as gospel. And the meme "Zeta Gundam was the ultimate Gundam, everything else especially ZZ was bad" was born and rest unchallenged for decades.

Of course the reality is never so black and white and ZZ is quite good and Zeta Gundam is not as good as it is portrayed to be.
Now that all Gundam is available in the west those "preachers of yore" can go fuck themselves because fans can made their own judgements on those shows.

Both shows have massive flaws for different reasons, but I prefer ZZ because it simply has more jovial entertaining characters.
>>
>>14801225
Or people just generally liked Zeta and thought it was a good show.
Not everyone bases their opinions on memes.
>>
>>14800839
Why do you suspect /m/ of being a hivemind and trying to bait with "why does /m/ hate Wing/SEED/IBO/etc"
>>
>>14800839

It's fujoshi CCA with bad dance music
>>
>>14801234
>Or people just generally liked Zeta and thought it was a good show. Not everyone bases their opinions on memes.

Well I didn't base my judgement of Zeta Gundam on a meme. I saw it dubbed and subbed years before ZZ, and while I appreciated the design I remember being way bored around episode 30 and never regained interest in it. Finishing the show was a real chore, and the denouement between the Titans, the Zeons, and the Aeug was beyond stupid.
This much I do remember.

Years later I went into ZZ expecting the absolute worst (according to internet lore on the subject) and was surprised when the show ended up being better than expected. And yes the first 13 episodes are funny and stupid as hell but if you manage to get past it things get rolling pretty well.
>>
>>14800839
>uninteresting politics

also some of the plot twists and character motives make no sense
>>
>>14801268
Congrats. You formed your own opinion like pretty much everyone else. Do you want to make any more statements about how everyone else is a hivemind?
>>
>>14801268
Except, you know, for the absolute mess that is Glemmy's ascension in the first half of the show, where he starts as basically a grunt, and suddenly is promoted AND also revealed to be taking care of some big cloning project like the show expected the viewer to ignore his initial appearances, which completely muddy his setup.
>>
>>14800839
I can't speak for everyone else, but I can tell you why I didn't like it.

Everyone who isn't a psychotic is a sociopath unable to realize they're surrounded by psychotics. It's almost as if the writers approached each situation with "What is the least reasonable way for our characters to deal with this?"

Shining examples include Wufei not only getting out to sword fight with Treize and then just giving up the mission afterward, but also Quatre just following him when he retreated instead of sinking the ship that was their objective, Dorothy's bloodthirsty gibbering up to and including offering to let Relena borrow her pistol to kill her own brother, followed by Relena's complete failure to recognize the fact that Dorothy is a gibbering psychotic. She doesn't even seem to register how inappropriate Dorothy's rant and suggestion are, she just turns down Dorothy's offer politely as if it were perfectly normal for people attending a university for the study of pacifism to carry concealed weapons and casually suggest first degree murder as the solution to a problem.

Then there was the time that the bad guys not only gave an unknown fresh recruit the job of test-piloting a highly advanced prototype mobile suit, but they also, for reasons incomprehensible, let him decide that the other highly advanced prototype should be test-piloted by the extremely dangerous terrorist mobile suit pilot that they'd just captured.
Think about that.
"This is the extremely well trained enemy mobile suit pilot that has killed scores of our men before we finally captured him and forced him out of his mobile suit."
"Excellent. Give him our most advanced prototype and see what he does with it."
>>
I liked this back in the day when it first aired in the West but I was really young back then. I tried to rewatch it again recently for old times' sake, and was really unimpressed. The plot was pretty convoluted, but most of the characters were either assholes or total idiots. And then I got to episode 30-something and shit just started to drag, with these long sermons about Relena's stupid and naive pacifist ideology while no action was happening, and I just got bored and gave up so I could watch Zeta instead. Visually it's well animated and all that, but it uses a ton of stock footage and the mobile suit design is very hit-and-miss IMO.
>>
The fights kinda sucked, especially when compared to 0083 and 8th MS team that we got to see around the same time (toonami/adult swim). Wing was just a bunch of politics with fights on the side. Hell even endless waltz couldn't keep the fucking politics out of it. At least those battles where good.
>>
File: heavyarms.jpg (78KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
heavyarms.jpg
78KB, 1024x819px
don't mind me, just posting best gundam
>>
File: deathscythe.jpg (84KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
deathscythe.jpg
84KB, 1024x768px
>>14801674
Wrong.
>>
The only thing that I truly despise about Gundam Wing is how they gave birth to the "Peace Princess" archetype. It was fine for Wing and I'm sure it was done before Wing, but got more ridiculous each time they used it.

Popstars with secret super weapons and Kudelia ('nuff said) did nothing to really help their shows except give an idealistic vision of how to end war that would never work.
>>
>>14800839
I'm 28 and I was maybe 12(?) years old when Wing was released in the US. When I was 12 I had a huge tolerance for bad anime in general. I ate it all up. Generic garbage anime (your haremshits, your moeshits, etc.) is designed to slam down on all of the simple buttons that work in most 13 year old brains. Wing was an amazing anime for a 13 year old just discovering anime, especially in the year of our lord 2000~ AD.

A lot of people get defensive when you say Wing is for kids, but it really was. I was a huge fan and it's basically unwatchable to me now, as it is to any sane adult unless you're doing it ironically.

The thing is that in the anime community you have tons of stunted as fuck manchildren who can't admit that their autism and seclusion have kept them in a bubble of shit taste that never progressed. They will of course accuse me of acting like I'm trying to be "le mature le smart gentleman" etc. On the contrary, I would argue that understanding Gundam Wing is a bad show is not some feat of intellectualism, but the mark of a relatively normal and average adult.
>>
>>14800839
Unlike most of the people here I haven't seen it in my childhood, so when I tried to watch it as an adult without any nostalgic feelings towards it I ended up dying of boredom. Literally any other Gundam show was more fun, even if it was the "hilarious shit" kind of fun.
Slow blooded orphans are pretty close in terms of boredom though.
>>
>>14801801
Then what are you still doing on /m/? You obviously still have shit taste, dont deny it.
>>
>OZ
>"Army Of Elite Soldiers"
>Yeah right.
>>
File: 1408667125564.webm (2MB, 640x528px) Image search: [Google]
1408667125564.webm
2MB, 640x528px
>>14803535
>MC gets knocked out in the first episode by Zechs locking his Leo against Heero's Gundam
>OZ soldiers are better and more skilled in general then EA soldiers which is displayed many times over
>Grunts wrecking Mobile Dolls when given better MS like the Taurus with their bear fucking hands even
Stop the memery.
>>
>>14803362
Why did you try to have fun? Watch it like LOGH.
>>
>>14803552

Re-name this file "Most Badass Grunts You've Never Heard Of".

Truthfully though, they're Sanc Kingdom dudes (Treize Faction personnel who changed allegiance). They automatically get Plot Armor.
>>
>>14803552
Underrated post.
>>
>>14803581
>OZ soldiers
>but they don't count as Oz soldiers
>plot armor
>faceless and nameless
C'mon
>>
>>14803587

My point is, they became "Good Guys" when they joined the Sanc Kingdom and fought alongside the Gundams. Thus they got all the benefits that come with it in terms of cliches.

They rolled a million on a thousand-sided dice.
>>
>>14800839
More like Gundam where the show.
>>
it spawned a generation of faggots who think it's cool to dress in a green tank top and bike shorts while putting your hand in front of your eyes
>>
File: shenlong.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
shenlong.gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>14801674
>>14801696
Heavyarms is a respectable choice, but only an edgelord still clings to Deathscythe after all these years.
Granted, you keep points for not posting the EW version.
>>
File: 800px-Feldt_Grace_2312.png (375KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Feldt_Grace_2312.png
375KB, 800x450px
>>14800839
because it's not 00
>>
>>14806242
Tallgeese II will always be the superior MS
>>
>>14806333
Tallgeese II is a wannabe Gundam. Tallgeese I is already perfection; nothing else needed to be improved.
>>
>>14803553
LOGH was interesting, Wing wasn't.
>>
>>14803553
LoGH was fun though, you don't exactly need to put your thinking cap on for either Wing or LoGH.
>>
>>14806538
>LoGH was interesting.
LoTGH's attempts at politics weren't interesting either.
>>
relena is actually princess diana, and it brings back too many painful memories.
>>
>>14806581
As well as its attempts at military strategy or sci-fi, but it still was an interesting story with pretty well-written characters and their interactions.

I consider an anime interesting if after watching an episode I am curious about what happens next, and LOGH fits this criterion, while Wing doesn't.
>>
>>14803552

The Leo thing is really unimpressive to me, because the leg lock is really shallow and Heero should have had plenty of time to get out of it but doesn't for no real reason. It's nice that the Wing is impeded successfully, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.
>>
>>14806242

I think I might be alone, but I consider the regular Deathscythe Hell more edgy than Katoki's Endless Waltz revision. The Endless Waltz version is more generic dark design, but the original has exposed ribs and a coffin shield among other particularly edgy elements.
>>
>>14801291
Char fucking quits Zeon for awhile and yet somehow goes from being a minor official to Kycilia's right hand
Stupidest shit to bitch about I swear, it happens all the time in these shows
>>
>>14806933
>yet somehow goes from being a minor official to Kycilia's right hand

I think it's sort of implied that was more Kycilia consolidating her own power. "I have the Red Comet under my thumb," and all that. Having a Zeon mega-hero in your corner is sure to lend legitimacy to any political pushes you make.
>>
>>14806933
Char got promoted because Kycilia was onto his agenda.
>>
>>14807214
>Kycilia was onto his agenda.
>She still gets killed by him anyway
>>
>>14807446
>killed through cheap shot during the hectic escape.

Char got lucky with that oportunity.
>>
>>14800839
Overrated
>>
>>14806766
I was literally never any more interested in the next episode of LOTGH than the next episode of Wing.

I feel like LOTGH gets a lot of praise for a whole lot of little
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.