[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knights and Magic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 28

File: Gardeslso.jpg (376KB, 714x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Gardeslso.jpg
376KB, 714x1160px
So /m/ will you be enjoying the best mecha has to offer?

Knights & Magic anime announced
>>
>A mecha otaku is reincarnated into another world as Ernesti Echevalier (Eru). In this world, exist huge humanoid weapon known as Silhouette Knight. Dreaming of piloting those robots, Eru, with childhood friends, Archid Walter and Adeltrud Walter: together they will aim to become Knight Runner, pilot of Silhoutte Knight.
>>
File: Guyale.jpg (491KB, 1030x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Guyale.jpg
491KB, 1030x1600px
>A young man from Japan passed away after a traffic accident. His soul was reincarnated in an alternate world into the body of a pretty young boy Ernesti Erchevalier with his memories intact. Influenced by his hobby from his previous life, Eru is a 'robot nerd' in this life too. He meets the giant humanoid battle robots in this world -- Silhouette Knights. The elated Eru started a series of plans in order to pilot the robots. He drags his childhood friend in this world along as he messes around in this world to satisfy his desire for robots.
>>
robot designs are cool but isekai is so tiresome
>>
So is isekai supposed to be a not uncommon premise that's become super popular? Because god damn I'm getting tired of it.

This looks pretty promising though, I'm hoping it isn't dragged down by "because I was good at this in my past life, I'm basically a god at this super important life skill"
>>
>>14761078
>A mecha otaku is reincarnated

dropped
>>
>>14761109

What exactly is isekai anyways? Just fantasy stories about apparently average people whose averageness somehow becomes a super power when transported to a new setting or what?
>>
watch as Tomino's (possibly) up and coming fantasy mecha show is also isekai

I mean Dunbine and Garzey's Wing was so its a pretty safe bet
>>
>>14761085
>A young man from Japan passed away after a traffic accident.

god this is so fucking overdone
>>
>>14761128
Isekai is just "man from the modern age falls into another world"

Typically a fantasy world. "average power becomes a super power" isn't a required aspect, but its pretty much universally common in stories like this
>>
>>14761074
Post grunts
>>
>>14761128
It's basically just having someone from our world be transported to another world

Isekai = another world.

It's been pretty popular over the past few years for LNs and WNs to use it to get the average otaku into a fantasy setting, where somehow all their time spent playing RPGs makes them god-tier.

But it's not inherently bad, as >>14761132 points out. Dunbine would be considered isekai. It's just the newest fad to help otaku hikkineets self-insert.
>>
>>14761145
>>14761150

Well I wouldn't have considered it inherently bad regardless, but thanks for the breakdown. That said, what does WN stand for? I know an LN is a light novel, but WN is new to me. I'm obviously out of touch on my Japanese novels.
>>
>>14761168
web novel, natch
>>
>>14761150
Man, Japan is professional at starting a genre than over saturating it till it crashes and burn and becomes hated. I barely noticed the isekai genre starting and it has already become so boring and repetitive
>>
>>14761109
>I'm hoping it isn't dragged down by "because I was good at this in my past life, I'm basically a god at this super important life skill"

Of course it is you retard, he literally reincarnates into a super bishonen nobleman and uses his /m/ knowledge from being a Otaku.

He's the Kirito of Mecha.
>>
There's two ways to ruin an Isekai story:
i. RPG like elements with Stat Screens and skill learning.
ii. Reincarnation with memories of previous life

At least this is the lesser of the two evils.
>>
>>14761327
This. RPG elements just make the self-insert fantasy much more obvious. And it just makes me think, why the hell does the fantasy need stupid RPG elements? It just seems like the shoddiest world building to justify why the otaku is a god.
>>
>>14761337
I like to think that those with stats are actually a world of video games and the people aren't aware of it.

How many of us hasn't min/maxed rpg characters?

But yeah, it's shit most of the time.
>>
>>14761132
It's probably a remake of Dunbine.
>>
>>14761268
This, fuck.

Watch as /m/ and mecha in general proceeds to be flooded by isekai-loving 'xD Neet' posters drawn in by the fact that "mecha" is now a cool preteen power fantasy.
>>
>>14761337
From the manga I read, its usually a crutch used by the author to pad the story with lengthy expositions about the Stat system and skill tree.

Fuck taht, I'm better of reading a game manual.
>>
>>14761337

I can see a comedy setup by having the main character aware of stats and RPG conventions, min/maxing for combat and then spending the vast majority of his time completely out of his depth because while he is a God at combat the few times it comes up, most people just want to trade and get on with their lives, including apparent monsters and his stats are useless for cooking or fishing or whatever other random day to day stuff he ends up having to do.

>>14761406

As opposed to the existing people who think it's a cool power fantasy?
>>
>>14761416
>I'm better of reading a game manual
To be fair, old game manuals have a lot of cool tidbits of information.
>>
>>14761434
Konasuba is the only new isekai I really like, because everyone is dysfunctional, useless, and/or petty.
>>
Why does it have to be Isekai?The concept seems interesting enough without adding that aspect.

Why is it that Japanese stories about people winding up in other world's come across as obnoxious, while similar Western stories tend to be better.
>>
>>14761532

What else is there to the concept? Without that, it's just "guy decides to become a mech pilot", at least as OP describes it.
>>
>>14761545
Guy deciding to be a mech pilot is a generic concept but it can be good.

Guy reincarnating into another dimension to be a mech pilot is a more interesting concept but the recent Isekai series have made me wary of this kind of story .
>>
File: bored.gif (427KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
bored.gif
427KB, 500x281px
>mfw ZnT is better isekai compared to the tripe that comes out today.
>>
>>14761268
>>14761327

Why can't they do it straight, like with Masou Kishin?
>>
>>14761532

IIRC, aren't the western equivalents usually because they aren't reincarnated, so their stories usually revolve around leaving the world?

Then again, the western ones tend to have the even worse concept of "fantastical character visits our world" eg. Beastmaster II, Suburban Commando, etc.
>>
>>14761402
If they redo the last third on Dunbine and give it more episodes then I would be really happy with a remake of Dunbine. Even if I would still prefer a true sequel.
>>
>>14761109
>So is isekai supposed to be a not uncommon premise that's become super popular?

Like all genres isekai's popularity comes in waves. Isekai used to be popular in the west with stories like A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Remember how MMO based anime were super popular just a few season ago?
>>
>>14761406
>Watch as /m/ and mecha in general proceeds to be flooded by isekai-loving 'xD Neet' posters

Look at the bright side, half of /m/ stands a decent chance of getting laid from this if they play their cards right.
>>
File: 1469756437868.jpg (1MB, 2888x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1469756437868.jpg
1MB, 2888x2000px
>>14761150
The first thing that comes to mind when I hear "Isekai" is pic-related.
>>
>>14761187
>I barely noticed the isekai genre starting and it has already become so boring and repetitive

Well actually you're kinda wrong there.

The only Isekai we've seen so far are transported/trapped in another world.

That started with SAO and Log Horizon.

This is actually the first reincarnated story we get in anime form, though we have a million in manga and LN.

>>14761697
Maybe if they stop buying PlaMo for a month and pay someone.
>>
>>14761673
>give it more episodes

I think most people want it 10 episodes shorter but ok
>>
>>14761622
I actually wanna see some culture shock in these stories, I wanna see the mc learn the language, see what a different worlds culture would be like and actually has to adapt Instead we get always get Japan with a medieval Europe skin where something menial in our world is a fundamental law of the universe there
>>
File: no.gif (1MB, 205x211px) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
1MB, 205x211px
>>14761078
>A mecha otaku is reincarnated into another world
>reincarnated into another world
Fucking christ
>>
>>14761744
>That started with SAO and Log Horizon.

But .hack/Sign tho
>>
>>14761889
But it didn't make it a flavor of the month (season? year?) fad.
>>
File: Juuni Kokuki.jpg (91KB, 736x520px) Image search: [Google]
Juuni Kokuki.jpg
91KB, 736x520px
>>14761150
Ain't nothing wrong with a good isekai story. Shame it's now completely associated with poorly written wish fulfillment LNs.
>>
>>14761406
>is now
Just now? Half the reason why Evangelion has the "get in the robot, shinji" reputation is because people are unable to divorce the idea of piloting a giant robot from being a power fantasy, and get insulted when a character isn't as excited to live out that power fantasy as they are.

Too much avoidance of "this character doesn't do what i would have done, therefore i hate them" results in pandering.
>>
>>14761849
The closest you'll probably get is The Twelve Kingdoms/Juuni Kokuki, which is extremely heavy on the worldbuilding.

It's not uncommon for random people to end up accidentally wandering into the world, but unless you have very particular circumstances like the main character, you can't actually speak the language of the world you just ended up in. And nobody speaks your language, so unless you're lucky enough to end up in a few very specific places, you can't even learn it.
>>
>>14761904
.hack was astoundingly ahead of its time.
>>
>>14761958
No objection here, brother.
>>
>>14761945
It's not impossible to learn a new language if you're thrust into an unfamiliar environment. It'll take you while to adapt though and you'll somehow have to survive until you can learn to talk for yourself. It's how human trafficking works, keeping people isolated as much as possible from the new culture they're forced into, to keep them dependent on whoever owns them.
>>
>>14761327
if its reincarnation without memories of a past life, wouldn't it basically just be a fantasy story?
>>
Escaflowne is technically also an isekai, isn't it?
>>
i gonna read it whish me luck the thing that a old man otaku reincarnated into a cute boy almost kill me
>>
>>14761078
He MC is cute at least
>>
File: omgtfo5ph0pl.jpg (31KB, 590x452px) Image search: [Google]
omgtfo5ph0pl.jpg
31KB, 590x452px
>>14761109
>So is isekai supposed to be a not uncommon premise that's become super popular? Because god damn I'm getting tired of it.
What /m/ isekai has there been?

I can only think of Escaflowne and Muv-Luv Alternative.

And maaaybe Utawarerumono counts.
>>
File: average WN writer.gif (206KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
average WN writer.gif
206KB, 320x240px
>>14762091
Yes, and so is Muv-Luv.
>>
>>14762273
Dunbine
Rayearth
>>
File: 1453410759425.jpg (16KB, 281x206px) Image search: [Google]
1453410759425.jpg
16KB, 281x206px
>>14761074
>anime adaptation of an LN
Another series where I will never get the full story. Unless I read it of course
>>
>>14761109
It's only "popular" via presentation bias. It's always been there, on and off in different anime.

However, the anime/manga industry has realized that they can crowdsource original IPs without having to wait for big-name creators (i.e. Urobuchi or others) to run a series premise past a committee.
They can just go online and find free and often shitty "popular/trending" fiction, much of it being isekai.

If it passes a more or less minimal quality check with enough material and can ostensibly be saved through editing, they contact the author and work out a publication deal. From there, they work out how much work they'll put into it (like if it gets just a lazy light novel, like the Tanaka something-or-other series, or if they'll push and ride it all the way home, like SAO). SAO made a massive return on such a shitfest.

Here and there, you actually get a gem that's passable and bordering into "good" territory for literary fiction in both quality and literary ability (i.e. Overlord and Youjo Senki, which, plot foibles aside, are actually written above a middle school level of difficulty).

The fact that a lot of it's "isekai" is just a red herring; again, it's always been there, but it's just what's both moving the industry (making it appear more often) and also being bought in enough quantities to warrant profit (pushing for more IPs to be found and published).
>>
File: 1471799467310.png (74KB, 432x293px) Image search: [Google]
1471799467310.png
74KB, 432x293px
>>14762328
>i.e. Overlord
>>
>>14762328
Probably worth noting that SAO only got noticed for publication unusually by association with Accel World, which was itself noticed through the more traditional route of winning a contest.
>>
File: 1450672733.jpg (112KB, 505x422px) Image search: [Google]
1450672733.jpg
112KB, 505x422px
>>14762328
>Here and there, you actually get a gem that's passable and bordering into "good" territory for literary fiction in both quality and literary ability
>i.e. Overlord
>>
File: 1474601517300.png (227KB, 602x473px) Image search: [Google]
1474601517300.png
227KB, 602x473px
It might actually not be that bad.

According to /a/ he actually builds his mechs, so he's kinda like the Onii-sama of Mecha
>>
File: 1.jpg (832KB, 1002x1430px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
832KB, 1002x1430px
>>14762526
And there's a lot of them. So it might be fun at least
>>
>>14761933
Yeah, but Eva was 20 years ago

Mecha has more or less fallen out since then. If this brings it back in style a la SAO, people will rediscover the wonders of power fantasy and flock here.
>>
>>14761744
>This is actually the first reincarnated story we get in anime form

Check out KonoSuba
It's one of the hot trending new isekai anime. Otaku neet hikki gets hit by car, dies, reincarnates into a super fanny and inspuhrin fantasy hero
>>
>>14762636
He was transported, not reincarnated. Reincarnation means you start over as a baby with your memories and cognitive function intact so you can pretend to be a child genius.
>>
>>14762640
Masaki Kihara really gave it a go in Zeorymer
>>
>>14762531
is that a qt boy or qt girl?
>>
>>14761074
This series isn't actually bad. Dude has one girl lusting after him and all he cares about is his mechs. I like the fact that he advances mecha technology by leaps and bounds because old farts are so stuck to the old ways that simple things like braiding to improve strength is anethema to them.

My only frustration really is that the remaining translator still doesn't know proper English syntax, although they improved since their initial translations (BakaDogeza).
>>
File: 3421353555.jpg (163KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3421353555.jpg
163KB, 1280x720px
>>14761109
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice (is this /m/?) was the greatest isekai
>>
>>14762341
>>14762359

I'm not familiar with Overlord other than the fact that the premise sounded like Sword Art Online + Dungeon Keeper. Was it that bad?
>>
File: WEG-Overlord,.png (813KB, 1099x500px) Image search: [Google]
WEG-Overlord,.png
813KB, 1099x500px
>>14762868
The series involves him being transported into a world where the level cap is 50, but he's level 90. His powers include but are not limited to, bringing people back from the dead with no side-effects, the power to probably raze a country to the ground effortlessly, and he has an entourage of similarly overpowered player-created NPCs who are all basically OCs and as a result are as generic as you could expect.

The series then proceeds to jerk off to how powerful the MC is, while he does absolutely nothing interesting and lengthy scenes are dedicated to "look how powerful the main character is" while his minions stand to the side and go "sasuga MC" all day.

And with all of this power, which could effortlessly steamroll pretty much anybody and everybody and can do anything, including bringing people back from the dead with no side-effects, he proceeds to do absolutely nothing interesting. Most of the series is dedicated to him pretending to be a generic swordsman doing menial tasks for the local generic adventurer's guild, an arc that repeatedly culminates in "yep, the MC is overpowered and can win everything". The plot goes nowhere and he doesn't actually achieve anything. He doesn't do anything particularly overlordy either.

If you like shallow power fantasies wanking to how overpowered the main character is, you might like it.
>>
I tried writing up a setting that had magical mecha and realized I was just copying Escaflowne. How do I not just copy Escaflowne's guymelefs?
>>
>>14762890
Well, off the top of my head:
You make the mecha giant animate skeletons with seige weaponry bolted to them.
Alternately, giant wooden robots powered by slave labor.
Or great big wizard fortresses, animated by black magic into enormous brick-and-mortar golem creatures that sow ruin upon the land with every step.
Perhaps tamed giant apes covered in scrap-metal armor do battle against tree monsters commanded by hippie elf-equivalents for control of the local forest.

Fucking all you have to do is not make them mechanical knights anon have some creativity.
>>
>>14762880

That's a shame. The first few clips I saw intrigued me, but it sounds like it goes downhill due to everything staying stagnant.
>>
>>14762912
But I want them to be mechanical, that's the whole point.
>>
File: WEG Overlord.jpg (366KB, 1474x500px) Image search: [Google]
WEG Overlord.jpg
366KB, 1474x500px
>>14762880
Post the more accurate version.
>>
>>14762928
Make them spider tanks instead of humanoid.
>>
>>14762928
So you want magic mecha that are mechanical and not actually very magic at all.
Anon I hate to break it to you but I think the problem might be less the setting and more that you're a fucking moron.
>>
>>14761187
>starting a genre
>recaintanated into another world

No genius. Chinese has already beat Japan with that setting before long. The same with MMO but Japan is beaten by Korean instead.
>>
>>14762948
Powered by magic, but with recognizable mechanical components.
>>
>>14762048
I just mentioned the memories part since it's the thing that grates me the most in these stories.

Flashbacks to when the MC was a loser Otaku never goes well.
>>
File: 241231566342.jpg (69KB, 568x496px) Image search: [Google]
241231566342.jpg
69KB, 568x496px
>>14762955
>>14762955

You first have to solve the issue of what you expect "mechanical components" to look like in your fantasy settings.

If you can't solve that part, you're forever stuck on "fantasy mecha == gigantic suit of knightly armor".

Not that there is anything inherently wrong with it, if the settings work as such that being a pilot is for nobles or is associated with status and all the other stuff that European knights were associated with.

You could even flip it around depending on your settings locale and have giant metal samurai or giant metal Vikings or giant metal Huns or giant metal whatever-the-fuck-you'd-like.
>>
Re-incarnation =/= Isekai. Though there is some overlap.

>>14761128
Isekai = Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. People from our world end up in a fantasy world.

Recently Japan decided to mix it up slightly, by having someone from our world die, and end up reincarnated in a fantasy world. (Can't think of any famous western examples, though it's been done a few times in Pulp fantasy.)

It's just the lasted fad in Japan, and people are sick of it. (Though I don't think the re-incarnation thing has overloaded Anime like it has manga, and LN's.)
>>
>>14763362
>Can't think of any famous western examples
The End of Narnia
>>
>>14763362
That one segment in Heavy Metal (movie) with Uluthc had "normal guy ends up in fantasy world".

Hell, it even has wish fullfillment because the nerd protag ends up with an Adonis body and gets laid a bunch.
>>
>Oh cool, it has medieval mechas, looks interesting
>isekai

Why can't they write it off as a normal fantasy story? Into the fucking trash it goes.
>>
>>14763562
>Why can't they write it off as a normal fantasy story?

Because otherwise otaku can't self insert. We've reached a level of recursion to where the character has to be an otaku hikkineet for them to relate.
>>
Kind of surprised that, for all the western isekai examples, no one's mentioned one of their oldest known versions (John Carter of Mars)

>>14762273
>>14762281
Buddy Complex (sort of...it's a different enough future I'd say it flies)
Now and Then, Here and There is a REALLY harsh take on the genre, though granted Shu is treated as a total grunt so the mechs are more flavor than anything else.
>>
I read this awhile ago but quit it since it was too mecha sexual on details and this shit basically giant monsters vs biological mechas
>>
>>14763601
The fucking industry just keeps on digging themselves deeper and deeper into the mire that is otaku audience.
>>
>>14763800
Yeah it's a vicious cycle. They make stuff otaku want because otaku are the only ones who buy it, and it keeps repeating.
>>
>>14761654
Western equivalents are getting back to your world or deciding to stay in new world after a variety of interesting adventures.

Isekai stories usually focus on one character who is a special snowflake for sketchy reasons where as Western equivalents focus on groups of people and the characters have to earn their special snowflake status.

"fantastical character visits our world' concepts are not really used as much in western genres.
>>
File: 1458578398715.png (859KB, 717x538px) Image search: [Google]
1458578398715.png
859KB, 717x538px
>>14762761
Close enough to power armor, I suppose.
>tfw Morgana was only killed in some kusoge SNES game (granted, it's not like you expected much from cartoons back then)
>>
I just realized that SAO is just Captain N for edgy teenagers
>>
>>14762273
If you want to pervert (no not like that) the intent of the isekai genre, you can sorta squint your eyes and consider Yukikaze in there.

Of course getting back isn't the thrust of the narrative, it's more like surviving a reality defying death planet while holding the line against an enemy that would really like to take the nice convenient shortcut portal back to Earth and invade humanity for... reasons not to be elaborated upon at least in the currently translated material.

And that's not even the main cast's problem, because they're there to monitor the conflict as an intelligence gathering arm. And even then things get super fucking weird as the conflict progresses.
>>
>>14762352
And the sad part is that Accel World got completely shafted by SAO
>>
>>14762526
>so he's kinda like the Onii-sama of Mecha
Is that supposed to be good? Because the last time we had someone nearing Onii-sama levels we had Eggs-kun in terms of competency
>>
>>14763898
There are those on this board who'd rather have that sort of character because it catalyzes trainwreck entertainment.
>>
>>14763902
Its infuriating because now thanks to Re:tard being aparently famous or something we will also get a wave of impossibly dumb protagonists that are saved by the universe going out of its way to help them.
>>
>>14763800
I wonder if the year of the year before the olympics will change anything as they try to hide their useless otaku
>>
>>14763905
Eh, we survived SEED Destiny.

We can endure more of the world buckling over and catering to a protagonist's every whim.

I mean, Kira was not exactly a mild case of wish fulfillment beneficiary.
>>
>>14763911
Wait what? Neither Kira or Shinn were useless faggots though, Shinn was a decent pilot fucked over by plot reasons adn Kira himself had proved i nthe original Seed that he was a good pilot.

In Rezero the protagonist was literally useless and a complete bumbling retard who flip flopped about wanting to use his power for the most idiotic reasons.

For once its not fair to compare GSD to something like that because GSD at least had some sort of story cohesion for a good deal of the anime, something that Re;tard failed from the first chapter
>>
>>14763911
Also while I'm at it, I wanna say that the antithesis of such a character, that is one who exists to be a singularity of suffering, kinda sucks just as much.

If you haven't exprienced Guilty Crown lemme save you the trouble: MC essentially gets forced by circumstance to be the modern day Jesus Christ... in the sense of being the guy who has to bear the hardships of everyone and die for their sins and all that shit. AND HE DOESN'T EVEN GET TO DIE AT THE END, THE WORLD JUST THROWS EGG ON HIS FACE AT EVERY TURN. IT'S INFURIATING.

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T DO THE "NOTICE ME SEMPAI" ROUTINE WITH THE FABRIC OF REALITY, IT NEVER PAYS OFF.
>>
>>14762645
That's the mc.
>>
>>14763923
>Kira
>good pilot

It's more that the world is not allowed to show Kira in any light but right and just, which means he gets to roll natural 20s all the time.

He's a fucking self insert power fantasy character, we had an Eleven spell it out to us not too long ago.
>>
>>14763929
I hate Okuchi because of that, every single MC he makes it looks like he actually hates them, Shoe from GC ended up completely fucked in the end with him half-crazy, blind, without one arm and being able to see a sort of alternate world where his waifu was but never be allowed to actually interact with her and then of course you have Haruto from VVV where everything bad that could possibly happen to him happened, he ended up going to his death with his waifu hating his guts, half of his pilot friends dead, 75% of the people he defended dead and the worst is he lost his memory and died without udnerstanding why he was dying.

Okuchi is a spiteful faggot that should not be allowed to write the plot of anime on his own
>>
Fuck off everyone, Its not mecha nor trap manga. Its middle aged Object C programmer story with him spending time programming and debugging magic.
>>
File: 1474614952122.jpg (222KB, 1382x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1474614952122.jpg
222KB, 1382x1000px
Its got good mechas
>>
>>14763911
>We can endure more of the world buckling over and catering to a protagonist's every whim.
Like Build Fighters Try
>>
>>14763943
Okouchi may be an accomplice but Yoshino pulled the trigger.

Difference is clear too, Haruto got the short stick but he took it to his grave with a smile, Shu is pretty much "...well at least you have your friends, right?"

Shu wishes he could know the sweet embrace of death after sticking it to the conspiracy like Haruto did.
>>
>>14763944
>Objective C
Gross. Absolutely disgusting.

And now I'm slightly aroused.

>#include wizard.h
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-07-08-07h03m18s133.png (542KB, 888x482px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-07-08-07h03m18s133.png
542KB, 888x482px
>>14761078
>A mecha otaku
>>
>>14762636
KonoSuba is more of a parody of isekai than a straight example because the MC is useless and kinda an asshole, and the girls who form his party are obnoxious and not someone you want to be around for too long.
>>
>>14763943
Don't forget he also worked on Code Geass

AKA "I've overseen the deaths of a large chunk of my extended family, betrayed the trust of the rebels who believed in me, alienated many of the people who considered me a good person, up to and including my sister who I started this whole mess for, all to unify the world by playing the iron-fisted dictator...and to top it all off, I'm going to have my best friend take my alter-ego and use it to murder me in front of the entire world, effectively making him take up my mantle and live with the knowledge that he will be forever praised for murdering his good buddy."

Yes, yes, I know some like to argue Lelouch faked his death, but at this point that's at best dubious fanon
>>
>>14763910
How crazy do you think things will get as we edge closer to 2020?
>>
>>14764015
At this point I'm particularly curious if Japan ever intends to acknowledge the fact that Otomo predicted a 2020 Tokyo Olympics back in the 80s or not.

Granted, apparently Akira is bigger in the west than it is over there, but I am legitimately wondering if/when they plan to say something about this.
>>
>>14764004
Eh, each of the three have their own sort of heroic downfall.

Lelouch sticks his dick into something legitimately over his head because he considers himself the smartest man in the room nearly every time, refuses to not play the hand dealt to him no matter how bad it gets, and gets cornered into the Zero Requiem endgame as a punishment for his hubris.

Shu desires a more interesting life, or at least something of a real friendship, has the horrors of his childhood dragged out in front of him, and suffers the worst case of monkey's paw imaginable, costing him his love interest along the way.

Haruto wants things to stay the same as they once were before the war, and does everything he can to convince those around him that nothing had changed and that they are not in fact up against space vampire voodoo bullshit, and it takes a metric ton of lies blowing up in his face compounded with his rapidly shortening lifespan to look past all the pain he thought he was shielding people from and see how it just caused more trouble than good.

So yeah, arrogance, wish fulfillment and hesitance to move on from one's youth into adulthood. Each of them blow up in their own rather unique way.
>>
>>14763943
Shoe wasn't really an Okuchi protagonist in the first place and he's also by far the worst. Haruto at least had a choice and accepted the consequences. Ikoma got to live and be with his stand-in for a sister/love interest so I doubt the author hates him.
>>
>>14763601
>We've reached a level of recursion to where the character has to be an otaku hikkineet for them to relate.
But he wasn't a Hikkineet, he was a sociable and well liked guy that was into Mecha and now he wants to build a Gundam in the new world.
>>
>>14763601
Except this guy wasn't a hikki-NEET, but whatever
>>
>>14761078
>A mecha otaku is reincarnated into another world
This has to fucking stop. When will it stop? Even harlequin romance novelists have more integrity at this point.
>>
I wouldn't even mind if not for the fact that he's a crappy Gary Stu and everybody wants to suck his dick.

Whatever, I bet it's going to be a cheap CGI fest anyways.
>>
>>14762880
>If a story doesn't threaten the MC in combat, it's shit no matter what
>>
>>14765405
>But he wasn't a Hikkineet, he was a sociable and well liked guy

You see anon, that is exactly the problem for him. How can he self insert if the MC is literally the exact opposite of him and all that he envies and hates?
>>
>>14763800
>>14763844
I'm honestly curious what's going to happen to the anime industry in the next 20 or so years when the otaku start dying off and because of Japan's declining birth rate there may not be that many new otaku to sustain the industry. Will it die? Will they start trying to pander to he gaijin foreign market instead?
>>
>Complaining about oversaturation on a board devoted to recycling fictional robot 'war' stories in every which way possible

The irony is killing me.
>>
>>14766780
/m/ has a really high opinion about itself so I'm not surprised in the least.
>>
File: 1432529953885.png (398KB, 792x540px) Image search: [Google]
1432529953885.png
398KB, 792x540px
>>14766780

And then when somebody makes a thread about something different from the norm it drowns in trolling and shitposting.
>>
>>14763601
>character has to be an otaku hikkineet for them to relate

Ugh, no? Almost all series with otaku hikkineet fail. Hard.

We get so many of them because LN industry is full of them. That's literally the only reason.
>>
>>14766689

Considering how sales records are beaten almost every year?

Industry is doing better than ever. There is 0 chance of it dying.
>>
File: 1467573961953.webm (587KB, 642x362px) Image search: [Google]
1467573961953.webm
587KB, 642x362px
>>14763898
>Is that supposed to be good?
Considering Onii-sama is a good character yes.

The one that's shit is his sister, but Onii-sama makes complete sense in-universe.

The thing that makes onii-sama bad in the anime is that they don't explain how magic works and they don't explain how and why Tatsuya is able to do what he does.

LN: Tatsuya does this because equation and this this and another this causes this thing to become this OP attack

Anime: skips everything before "Tatsuya does OP attack" and continues with "Sasuga Onii-sama"
>>
>>14766873

Who exactly is onii-sama? That guy whose sister is in love with him from the magic high-school anime?
>>
>>14766689
>gaijin market

Post-olympics we'll see the demographic shift start to turn the wheels and make a push for diversity! It's gonna become apparent that white men are disgustingly similar in their actions involving discrimination and othering. They time and time again have created insular environments and situations which cause everything but white men and sadly non observant people of color or trans leaning women to want to be a part of. What colors they like, what fucking foods they appropriate, and what clothing they like to wear is meaningless next to the institutions they consistently and continually create. The institutes of oppression are the only culture white people have.
>>
>>14766924
Is this some kind of copy pasta bait?
>>
>>14766519
>unironically defending Overlord
>>>/a/ is that way my friend
>>
>>14766936
But overlord is one of the better SoLs of the last two years.
>>
>>14763898
Please refresh me, Eggs-kun is the nickname for the fat dude from Accel World, right?

No?
>>
>>14766980
No.
>>
>>14766873

Nobody gives a shit about explanation.

Entire Mahouki is nothing but masturbating to how awesome onii-sama is. It's retarded.

And I especially loved how people were discriminating against him so that he can later show the mean bullies how awesome he really is.

Mahouka is trash written for self inserting autists who got bullied in school.
>>
File: Mahouka8.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Mahouka8.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
>>14766900
Yes

>>14767001
>Nobody gives a shit
Says you

>Entire Mahouki is nothing but masturbating to how awesome onii-sama is. It's retarded.
That doesn't make his character bad. He's just OP, he has plenty of other problems.

>And I especially loved how people were discriminating against him so that he can later show the mean bullies how awesome he really is.

That was just the first volume and he didn't give a flying fuck about them.

>Mahouka is trash written for self inserting autists who got bullied in school.

You don't know what self-inserting is. Self inserting is someone like the guy from Re:Zero. Onii-sama literally can't be a self insert because he's not a trash hikkineet that suddenly gits gud like Kirito.
>>
>>14766980
Eggs-kun is Inaho from Aldnoah
>>
>>14762955
>>14762890

If you want the mechs to be mechanical along with the magical aspect, then the setting must be developed enough to create the mechanical parts. Magically and technologically.

What part of Escaflowne's mechs that you DON'T want to copy ?
>>
File: 1448552956378.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1448552956378.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>14762917
> Overlord being bad

That guy is exaggerating. The big flaws of Overlord may be its pandering to power fantasy and some very, very poor choice of character, but it is actually refreshing to see just how a typical (yes) video-game character fit in a WELL FLESHED universe (what ? I would like to see you giving a justification to all those video game quest).

The result is funny, nothing transcendent, nothing you'll rewatch, flawed, but that's much better than watching cheap stuff like Naruto or Gundam seed.

Plus, if power fantasy is bad you should shit on nearly the integrality of the mecha genre (power from technology, looser with insane piloting skills)

> That's not an Overlord thread
I don't know what OP is talking about, just felt like defending an easy target.
>>
>>14766873
The problem wasn't the lack of explanation, it was how much of a gary stu Onii-sama is, his whole shtick is "I'm god almighty but no one will ever know" faggot is a walking nuke but as is usual for the type of LN people keep tlaking shit about him just so he can later show how powerful and better than everyone he really is.

And for the record I discovered this piece of shit by way of the LN
>>
>>14767814

It's kind of the effect of the isekai genre. Along with any other kind of 'MC is/was a gamer/otaku of somekind but is totally badass here'.

Even if the plot and premise would be fine(or merely mediocre) without that part, it instead incurs intense loathing from people who are particularly sensitive or elitist about the fact that they like videogames or are fans of anime(or other related hobbies). The sort of people who would sincerely scream moeshit/shounenshit, etc. at other people.
>>
File: LoEGv2n1.jpg (171KB, 850x642px) Image search: [Google]
LoEGv2n1.jpg
171KB, 850x642px
>>14763549
Dan, based on the comic series of the same name by Richard Corben. The segment adapts part of the first book. It only gets weirder after that.

>>14763638
Gullivar of Mars does predate the Barsoom series (and both appear side by side in pic related).
>>
>>14768482
Sorry. Den. Should really check before submitting...

And I'm guessing they're going to expand the cross-dressing male nurse in the anime...
>>
>>14766936
>unironically believing robots for children from the 90s is somehow better written
I guess /co/ wins as most sophisticated and well written then since they get to cite Disney classics.
>>
>>14767814
>Plus, if power fantasy is bad you should shit on nearly the integrality of the mecha genre (power from technology, looser with insane piloting skills)

Anon, that obviously is an exception since this is /m/ while isekai shit is some heretical sin. In the end /m/ fags that complain about isekai are not actually complaining about the wish fulfillment, but simply that the wish fulfillment didn't cater to their 'edgy' and 'gritty' needs. The ones who constantly ramble on about MCs needing to be older only do so because they are old dinosaurs themselves and can no longer self insert into teenagers cause their beer belly is like 3x the size of an 'average looking' MC's waist.

I mean it's getting better, but there's still fossils who think Stardust is the best Gundam series unironically.
>>
>>14767947
>The sort of people who would sincerely scream moeshit/shounenshit, etc. at other people.

Even in real life?
>>
>>14769472
I think Overlord is criticized even for not catering completely to that power fantasy. The character isn't better than anyone else, it's the universe that is inferior to him and the MC don't have to get what he need by force, it doesn't require him any force at all.
This is more an exploration fantasy as if he discovered a lesser species and educated them.

Even that don't pass now that I think about it, they'll bitch just because he don't have an epic goal, to them he is just wandering around despite having shit-town of power.
It's hard to satisfy spectator when your goal is nothing difficult.

Battle maid pandering definitely didn't help, fuck those loli fetish, fuck real players who do it
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.