[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do /m/ think about gundam origin?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

File: gundam_origin_la_screening.jpg (458KB, 1280x899px) Image search: [Google]
gundam_origin_la_screening.jpg
458KB, 1280x899px
What do /m/ think about gundam origin?
>>
>>14753904
being Sayla is suffering
>>
>>14753904
It's worse than Unicorn
>>
>>14754244
but I like it
>>
File: 1384984450951.gif (3MB, 496x368px) Image search: [Google]
1384984450951.gif
3MB, 496x368px
>>14754244
>>
>>14754244
But Unicorn was great so that means that The Origin can still be good
>>
Is it canon to 0079? I know the manga is not.
>>
>>14753904
they're taking their time getting to 0079 thats for fucking certain.
kinda pointless anyway giving backstory to characters that were either one dimensional or didnt go anywhere
but i still like it
>>
>>14753904
Yes
>>14754244
Characters are incomparably better then unicorn
>>14754651
not even kinda
>>14754668
its just more char, hes gundams pikachu.
That being said its good. It might not line up with cannon but it was a cool story bro
>>
It's the Phantom Menace of Gundam
>>
>>14753904
Its great go watch it /m/.
>>
>>14753904
Just the latest in a long line of Zeonwank.
>>
>>14753904
I don't give a shit about Char so I'm only here in the hopes that they make a proper adaptation of Origin with 2D mecha.
>>
>>14754947
In a good way. I wish the prequels wanked Darth Vader as much as the Origin Charwanks
>>
Love it, playing Char as the actual mephistophelian villain that he was before meeting Lalah is hilarious and great at the same time, also the tactical warfare in ep.3 was way better than any actual mobile suit battle in IBO or most mecha shows.
Being written by Yas also makes the Zabi even worse human beings than in the original, which is cool in my book.
The only downside is that the 3D mecha animation isn't as good as the 2D one in Thunderbolt, which is kinda shameful considering how important The Origin should be to Sunrise.
>>
>>14755127
It would have been nice if they didn't hire Imanishi, of all people. He loves CGI so much that it's a wonder that he didn't use it during the 90s.
>>
>>14754651
Manga is 0079 with a plot that isn't pants on head retarded. I mean seriously in the fucking anime what was stopping them from going directly to Jaburo before Odessa?
>>
>>14753904
It made me feel bad for everyone but Casval.
>>
>>14753904
Hamon is nice looking.
>>
>>14754651
Only if there's an entry after Origin that gets made which adopts what it established.
>>
The Show totally botched Zeon Deikuns character, he didn't come across as a cazy person in the manga. Doing the flashback arc first was foolish if Sunrise wanted to keep this going. Read the manga. Best way to experience 0079.
>>
>>14755162
Oh but /m/ will still scream bloody murder at anyone that suggest newbies watch the movies (yeah Vase guy and super napalm so important woooow) or read the Origin. /m/ thinks a cancelled and botched show with bad pacing especially at the end and poor animation even for its time is some Grand Classic. The model kits saved Gundam and gave us the movies. Not many Japs actually watched 0079s Original run.
>>
>>14755957
>Not many Japs actually watched 0079s Original run

according to the oldest doujin books out there with CharXGarma, apparently mostly girls watched it during the original run, and in secret to prevent being judged by their parents
>>
>>14753904
It's the least creative AU.

At least the anime is only adapting the original parts and is thus worthy of existence.
>>
>>14755162
If i remember, Operation Odessa was about breaking Zeon's hold on the Earth, and that was the turning point of the war. Don't see why White Base shouldn't be there.
>>
File: 1470583381871.png (273KB, 493x376px)
1470583381871.png
273KB, 493x376px
>>14755961
Im not surprised
>>
>>14756095
So they broke the Zeons hold on earth, and Then Jaburo happens. No. That makes no sense whatsoever. Furthermore White Base didn't need to be there. Every second a Gundam Ship is with the fleet or main army suspension of disbelief starts to fail because the kids would be replaced with a real Crew
>>
>>14756160
>Every second a Gundam Ship is with the fleet or main army suspension of disbelief starts to fail because the kids would be replaced with a real Crew

Half of humanity died. They needed all the bodies they could get, and the Whitebase crew had experience with the Whitebase and its mobile suits unlike anyone else ( in the canon at the time of its production).

>So they broke the Zeons hold on earth, and Then Jaburo happens. No. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Why does'nt that make sense? They were loosing their hold on earth so they went for a desperate attack on EFSF headquarters as a last ditch effort to try to stop them from getting pushed back from earth. Given their situation it makes perfect sense.
>>
>>14755961
There's a Tomino interview out there that got translated awhile back (looking for it right now) that confirms that yeah most of the original fans were actually girls.
>>
>>14756160
>Makes no sense whatsoever
Sure it does, Zeon lost their base (a strong blow, but not instantly evaporating their forces as you seem to think), Char follows the White Base across the atlantic after a failed attack. From following, Char learns the exact location of Jaburo (which was previously not known). Jaburo happens under Char's command.

>White Base didn't need to be there
Orders are orders, White base didn't need to be at Jaburo either. But General Revil knew Odessa's importance to the war (more than just a base, a very valuable mine), and that's why he tried to get all the forces he could. This attack needed to succeed. Why should White Base be anywhere else at this pivotal moment?

>suspension of disbelief
Your problem, not mine. As a crew, they proved themselves capable. If the kids were green, then i'd see what you mean. But these kids are experienced, and replacing them would require emptying another ship, because those kids aren't going to be crewing any other ships. There is literally no benefit to replacing the White Base crew.
>>
>>14755957
>0079
>poor animation even for its time
Nah, it's pretty average-above-average at the very least. The only shows that it paled to in that department comparison-wise were the WMT entries of the time, which were anyways a fucking anomaly for their decade. Zambot 3 (apart from the Kanada and a bit of the Sasakado stuff) had much worse-looking visuals and animation.

>>14755989
>It's the least creative AU.
When most other AUs aside from like two or three are also just 0079 with just a few plot details changed and cooler robit designs, I'd say it's just in line with them. It's more direct at telling us it's set in an alt UC, at least.
>>
>>14753904
Altering things from the manga to show Feddies are more evil than before.
Feels like watching all those Yaz animes- good not not memorable.
>>
>>14753904
The over the top character animation is refreshing after how dull everyone looked in Unicorn. I'm really enjoying it, way more than Thunderbolt to be honest.
>>
>>14756095
Oh for fuck sake, THEY STILL GO TO ODESSA IN THE MANGA. I don't know why there are so many people saying or assuming they don't

The difference is, they go to Jaburo -first-. The battle of Jaburo happens earlier because Char discovers it's whereabouts and uses them as a bargaining chip to cross over from Dozle's wrath (due to Garma's death) into Kycilia's chain of command. Odessa happens after and the White Base participates in a pretty large capacity.

In fact, the Odessa arc in the manga is extra brutal compared to the anime, and Mquve uses the Gyan there rather than in space.

>>14754651
The biggest thing you can take away from any discussion about whether or not the Origin anime is canon is "stop fucking worrying about it." There are some differences from the Tomino anime but no, the Origin OVA is not meant to be confined to it's own special space in Gundam canon separate from everything else, just like the movies/TV differences. Gundam's always been a case of "difference interpretations of history" and the Origin anime is no different
>>
>>14755961
0079 was shit, so of course their parents would judge them.

Wing is the true patrician's entry into the Gundam franchise.
>>
>>14755957
the series is fucking dog shit and i can't help but pity anyone that wastes their precious time on earth watching the whole thing
>>
>>14757937
>Wing is the true patrician's entry into the Gundam franchise.
Just like how FF7 is the """true patrician's entry""" into the FF series, right? I may be going a bit off-board here, but may I remind you that what happened to 0079 also happened earlier and eventually, on to different properties. Things like Star Trek, Ico, Earthbound (at least initially in America) etc. etc.

>>14757985
>the series is fucking dog shit and i can't help but pity anyone that wastes their precious time on earth watching the whole thing
Because it gave you thing you like in the first place.
>>
>>14758056
>Because it gave you thing you like in the first place.

That still doesn't change the fact it's a terrible fucking show. Don't act as if the series didn't come within a heartbeat of killing itself in its crib. Gunpla and toys saved gundam not itself.
>>
>>14758069
>That still doesn't change the fact it's a terrible fucking show.

Most TV anime are really, but I thought 0079 was pretty much effective at what it tried to convey and storywise holds up well even today (for the most part). I like the movies and the Origin as well but don't try to pretend that they didn't have their own series of problems as well. I can't wait for the day the novels are lumped in with the whole "0079 retellings are better than 0079" meme.
>>
File: 0079 is good.jpg (55KB, 722x700px) Image search: [Google]
0079 is good.jpg
55KB, 722x700px
>>14758124
>fight of the week and melodrama garbage stitched together on literally no budget being "effective"

your delusional keep holding on to your inferior iteration anon
>>
>>14758142
>fight of the week
As is the case with many other mecha and gendum shoez. Nothing wrong with that.

>melodrama garbage stitched together on literally no budget being "effective"
Most nips are fucking garbage at producing cartoons I know. Still thinks it's better than the movies and Origin in some ways.
>>
>>14756943
>They still do Odessa
Ok, I can see how I assumed otherwise in my post, but either way it's irrelevant to my point. In the anime, they have the battle of Odessa first and I don't see how that makes the plot "pants on head retarded".
>>
>>14756211
>WMT
Speaking of that, some of the shots and character design of young Char and his sister remind me of a WMT series, particularly of Romeo with Alfredo and Bianca.
>>
>>14753904
Thought it would adapt the entirety of the manga, was extremely disappointed that it just adapted the arc that explored Char's origins. That arc was a fucking chore to work through, I swear to god.
>>
>>14758817
Because White Base's goal in the first space arc was TO GO TO JABURO, then its suddenly handwaved into "Circumnavigate the fucking planet while being chased by some of Zeon's best troops while we try and figure out how to make the GM work in time for you to arrive at Jaburo over 2 months later than intended", it makes no fucking sense even in the context of the series.
>>
>>14759086
Odessa is (at least by General Revil's measure, in the anime) more strategically important than the White Base getting to Jaburo. To the exhausted Zeon, Odessa formed the backbone, or at least a very important part, of their resources. What is so pants on head retarded about that?
>>
File: 135888448_640.jpg (22KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
135888448_640.jpg
22KB, 640x427px
>>14755038
>I don't give a shit about Char
>>
File: kai.png (421KB, 670x477px) Image search: [Google]
kai.png
421KB, 670x477px
>>14756172
>most of the original fans were actually girls

Kai was kawaii
>>
>>14753904
It's shit.
>>
>>14757937
>Wing is the true patrician's entry into the Gundam franchise

Just come out the closet already friend
>>
>>14755127
>Being written by Yas also makes the Zabi even worse human beings than in the original, which is cool in my book.
eh I'd say only Gihren and to a lesser extent Kycillia are worse then in the original anime, Garma and Dozle are still pretty decent people, and Degwin while not exactly a good person isn't really a monster either
>>
File: gundamlocaltype.jpg (507KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gundamlocaltype.jpg
507KB, 1920x1080px
>>14754651

It's canon. They even went to the trouble of changing the backstory of anything that contradicted with the original timeline. They are even trying to link Origin with other UC works like 08th ms team so it's obvious what Sunrise's intentions are.
>>
>>14759268
Nah, Dozle and Garma are still shown doing terrible things. Dozle commands the gassing of Iffish and Operation British while Garma is the reason Loum is uninhabited.
>>
>>14759286
Is this kit any good? I have a bad feeling about it since it doesn't use the Revive mold
>>
>>14757985
>>14758056
Stop getting baited by that guy
>>
>>14759208
>White base makes earthfall in North America
>Jaburo is in South America
>Odessa is in the other hemisphere
I cant believe i had to spell this out for you. Its so much fucking simpler for them to go to Jaburo first AND then go to Odessa once they have additional troops, supplies and mobile suits on board for the assault.
>>
>>14757937
Wing is, so far, the only gundam series I've dropped, and that was after marathoning 0079, Zeta, ZZ, 08th, G Gundam, CCA, and Stardust Memory. I would rather suffer through the first half of ZZ again than watch that shit.
>>
>>14759268
Dozle gets destroyed in the manga anon, he's admitting that doing Operation British is a war crime and he also admits that might makes right.
It actually paints him in a pretty bad light compared to the mean but honorable cool guy he was in 0079.
>>
>>14759379
its great, only problem is the ankle guards are molded to the lower legs like those shit awful old 1/144 wing kits. thats the only real nitpick with this kit. rest of it is just as articulate as the revive.
>>
>>14758963
>That arc was a fucking chore to work through, I swear to god.
I personally don't see how the arc is any more of a chore than having to go through any Gundam OVA not named 0080 iah.

>>14758951
>some of the shots and character design of young Char and his sister remind me of a WMT series
Some elements of the flashback arc in general are pretty reminiscent of a WMT series. Fuck, even the original had a bit of the WMT style in it, at least in terms of art (eg. how Revil is supposedly designed after Heidi's grandfather).
>>
>>14761210
>he's admitting that doing Operation British is a war crime and he also admits that might makes right.
>Might makes right
The only time the losers wrote history was the american south after the civil war.
>>
>>14761139
And I can't believe I have to spell this out for you, it didn't fucking matter to Revil that they could be better armed in two weeks/months, they are armed just fine now. Every day they let Zeon strip Odessa was a day Zeon was able to function effectively on Earth. There's no fucking point waiting for the White Base to upgrade itself (it's not THAT important), and there's also no point in the White Base upgrading itself while the most important battle of Earth is being fought.

Don't act like I don't understand what you're fucking saying, I'm just saying what happened in 0079 is perfectly sensible. What you've said happens in the Origin sounds perfectly sensible too, I'm not trying to put one over the other.
>>
judging by this thread, I have a feeling /m/ will be very, very split if origins gets a full adaption...

And I still say vertical is ripping people off for charging 30 buck a volume
>>
>>14761817
> Vertical is ripping people off
If the volumes weren't hardcover with high quality paper, all color pages printed, and complete with every tribute art and interview I'd agree with you.

Japanese have been importing the American release just to get better quality versions.
>>
ZEONWANK
>>
>>14761847

>Japanese have been importing the American release just to get better quality versions.

If that is true, is that basically suggesting the quality of the Japanese Collectors Edition (which the English release is based on) is worse? Or is it more of a "welp couldn't get the Japanese one anymore, I might as well get the English one"
>>
>>14761850
Not really. Zeon himself has gone bonkers somehow, some of the Zabis are more evil than before, and Char has even less morals despite more accomplishments.

If anything, it's Ramba Ral wank.
>>
>>14756172
I thought everyone knew UC79 was the manliest shojo anime around.
>>
>>14761981
>Zeon himself has gone bonkers somehow

stress does that to you
>>
>>14762000
Evidently, the retards over at /a/ din't get the memo since they are quick to jump at labelling shows as fujoshits like it means anything.
>>
>>14761817
>30 buck a volume

That's just the MSRP, it can very from store to store.

Hell I managed to get the first volume (new) for around $18-19
>>
>>14761785
Was there anything to suggest that the route to Odessa was less filled with Zeon forces than the route to Jaburo? I always assumed that's why they took the route they did. They were having such a hard time in North America, maybe their southerly and easterly routes were virtually blocked off, and so they had to go west, and Odessa was along the way anyway.
>>
Unnecessary zeonwank
>>
In this thread, I have read very, very convincing arguments that the Origin is not Zeonwank at all.

>>14761981
>>14761210
>>14759368
>>
>>14762129

Odessa had important mining operations for Zeon so strategically it makes sense ,
>>
>>14762138
>Unnecessary zeonwank

fags like this never read the manga
>>
>>14761785
perhaps pants on head retarded was the wrong term for 0079's plot, "The earth arc makes no sense to me personally" would probably have been a better choice of wording in retrospect, A lot of stuff in the anime was very poorly explained mostly due to the fact they had to fit it in a 30 minute time-slot with commercial break.

>>14762129
Nothing in the anime ever suggested that the route to Jaburo was heavily contested by Zeon, infact Zeon had no fucking idea where the exact location of Jaburo was if you go by the anime alone, and its unlikely they had the manpower to cover a continent what with their resources already stretched thin across North America, Europe, and Asia.
>>
>>14761981
>If anything, it's Ramba Ral wank.

And all is right with the world.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.