[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 8

File: Gundam.png (740KB, 712x1014px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam.png
740KB, 712x1014px
Which Gundam would I start with?
>>
>>14753771
Bump
>>
Victory, obviously.
>>
>>14753777
Oh that's the Gundam from that show. I just picked the coolest one I saw in Google Images.

Is Victory good though?
>>
>>14753786
Yes
>>
You should start with 0079.

>>14753786
Victory is a love it, or hate it kind of show. I personally think it's great but I know a lot of people get up in arms over a single episode and it somehow ruins the whole rest of the show.
>>
>>14753771
The original. Then you can either watch in chronological or production order. You need to start with the original so you can understand what Gundam is all about and have the proper framework for the rest of the franchise.
>>
Here is a better question:
Why do you want to get into gundam?
I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>14753803
I like giant robots (A lot). And I honestly don't mind politics if it's done well.
>>
Always go with production order.
>>
>>14753825
What's production order? And I'm assuming 0079 is the original? And if so that's fine honestly.
>>
File: GundamChart nov 2015.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
GundamChart nov 2015.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>>14753834
>>
>>14753771
I think Gundam Seed or 00 might be good places to start since they are good alternate universe shows that you can pick up and watch without any background knowledge.

While neither show is perfect, they both kinda cover all the core elements you will find in most Gundam shows and can serve as entry points into the franchise.
>>
Only ones that you shouldn't start with are Z, ZZ, CCA and Unicorn because you won't know half the cast or what's even going on for the most part.

If you wanna start with 0079 you have a choice between TV and Movie.
>>
>>14753843
That's a lot of Gundam. But yeah that's a great picture.
>>
>>14753845
SEED is nowhere near the same level as 00 you fucking SEEDfag. We're trying to get OP to like Gundam not immediately make them hate it. SEED is the show you watch after you've seen everything good the series has to offer and you still want more Gundam.

OP, I suggest you start either with the 0079 series or movies. I personally prefer the movies. Zeta is the next obvious must-watch, after that you can pretty much watch any of the other series and understand whats going on, though it is still good to go in production order. You can also watch 0080 and Thunderbolt, both are ovas that don't require any previous knowledge of Gundam going into them, and are both pretty damn good.
>>
>>14753807
Ah, then 0079 will certainly be up your alley.
Despite its dated animation, I enjoyed immensely. More than its sequel even, despite Zeta's vastly improved animation quality.
>>
TV series has more character development.
Movies compacts the series and remove some of the sillier elements like the Gundam hammer.
Watch the movies if you just want to rush to the rest of the franchise.
>>
>>14753855
If i want to watch unicorn, what is recommended to watch first?
>>
>>14753771
So basically what I'm getting from this thread is 0079->Zeta->ZZ-> Any other Gundam?
>>
>>14753882
I think I may do that. The amount of episodes intimidate me. So 0079 movies->Zeta-> ZZ-> Any other Gundam.
>>
>>14753903

Pretty much. Both Z and ZZ have 50 episodes however.

You can also watch any Alternate Universe series withouth any worries since they're their own thing.
>>
>>14753912
Alright then
>>
>>14753786
If you liked Ideon you'll like Victory.
>>
>>14753866
It surprisingly doesn't feel like much once you start diving in.
>>
Whatever you do OP just make sure you don't fall for the "Zeta is good" meme
>>
>>14753786
>I just picked the coolest one I saw in Google Images.
Good taste
>>
Whatever you do OP just make sure you don't fall for the "Zeta is bad" meme
>>
>>14753894
>>
Just to throw my two cents in, the order in which they were produced is definitely the best order, though I would throw in the caveat that if you want to watch the One Year War sidestory OVAs (0080, 8th MS Team, Thunderbolt) there is nothing stopping you from watching them right after 0079, apart from a downgrade in animation when shifting back to Zeta, if that even bothers you. Also 0079 TV has some great bits that didn't make it into the movies, like the really tense episode where some Zeon soldiers plant bombs on the Gundam and the cast has to find and remove them all while the ebemy soldiers watch from the sidelines. That being said, you do whatever you like, the effect of the order in which you watch a japanese robot cartoon son some internet weirdos shouldn't really come into your consideration. (Even if skipping 0079 TV makes me die a little inside.)
>>
Start with 0079, it's what I'm doing

>tfw gf texts you saying she wants to cuddle and watch comfy funky anime with you
>>
>>14753866
Most of the entries are movies or short OVAs.
It's even less if you decide to just not watch some series like AGE or something.
>>
>>14754020
>Gundamu-snug-time
Gundam and Chill?
>>
I also would advocate for 0079 as the first and production order in general for obvious reasons.
However I would also advocate for series first as opposed to the movies.

You're getting much, much more material out of the series as opposed to the movies, which are better off saved for later if or when you want to revisit 0079.
>>
>>14754051
Essentially. I have all of 79 loaded onto my tablet so we just sit in bed and watch it together, occasionally laughing at the sillier bits.

This is a girl whose favorite movie of all time is the Transformers animated movie.
>>
>>14753771
>Which Gundam would I start with?

I'd say go with Gundam 00. It's modern, has nice world building and the story isn't shit. Think of it as the Patlabor 2 of the Gundam franchise. In other words you cannot go wrong.
>>
>>14754079
00 is a shittier Wing, then becomes a shittier Zeta.
>>
>>14754020
It's a good fucking feeling.
>>
Considering subs and dubs, the 0079 subs are acceptable all around, the Movie dubs are terrible, and the series dub, I feel, is incredibly fitting and gets a bunch of terrific performances, like Michael Kopsa as Char.

A tad cheesy though.
>>
>>14754221
>A tad cheesy though.
On that subject, it's a little odd that no one ever brings up Clamp, even though his voice is as goofy as Wing's Septum (and both have one-shot VAs who never did anything else, to boot).
>>
>>14754221
I love 0079's dub. I feel that Zeta has a really charming dub as well.
>>
>>14754261
Yeah, delightfully weird minor characters are a recurring element.

But the main cast of 0079 is still excellent. Bright, Char, Amuro, Sayla, Fraw Bow, Kai, all great. And secondary characters like Garma, Ral, and Matilda are all solid as well.

But stray too far into minor roles and suddenly the percentage of HAM is off the charts.
>>
>>14754309
Zeta's dub... well, it had some good points. A fair few good female voice actors. I can't really bring myself to like it though. It felt too flat.
>>
>>14753895
Ye
>>
>>14754221
>0079 dub
Why did they feel the need to add stock sfx I will never know.
>>
>>14754093
>Shittier Wing
Stupid opinions aside, the only similarity s2 has with Zeta is ALAWS = TITANS.
Everything else is vastly different.
The AEUG never teamed up with the TITANS to prevent a horrendous disaster.
00S2 didn't have pointless skirmishes every episode.
00S2 didn't bring back someone from the dead with no explanation solely to create drama for the protagonist.
I could go on and on.

Also Patrick >>>>>>> Jerid.
>>
>>14753843
Is there an update to this yet?
>>
Ok, I'm also a newbie. But I am new entirely to the genre and to anime in general: should I watch dubbed or subbed? Which do you veterans prefer?
>>
>>14754487
The usual explanation is that Tomino wanted them in, but it's really a quirk of Ocean Group's. Possibly due to never being able to afford upgraded sound tech, they mostly use whatever sound effects they had back in the 90s (especially since they collaborated with Ruby-Spears on a couple of American cartoon productions) for many English dubs they did, regardless of how well they fit.
>>
>>14754589
Gundam dubs are actually decent. Not GREAT, but serviceable.
Personally I prefer subs, except for G Gundam of course.
>>
>>14754589
Most /m/ stuff is subs only, so expect that. What is dubbed, as with anything dubbed, is a mixed bag. Mostly, it's fine. You get some great ones, some horrible ones, a lot of serviceable ones.

You'll get the Code Geass Dub where everybody tends to feel in character and quite competent, and you'll get Gundam 00 where voices feel out of place, uninterested, or just wrong. You'll get Evangelion, which is well done, Gundam Wing, which is at many times laughable, and Gundam 0083, which is... fine.

So do what you like. The subs are the safe way to go, but there are many worthwhile dubs.

And Garzey's Wing.
>>
>>14755052
Interesting. I couldn't get into 00 at all mostly because I thought all the characters were as dry as toast. Maybe I should try again with the sub sometime.
>>
>>14755117
Can recommend.
>>
>>14753807
>I like giant robots (A lot). And I honestly don't mind politics if it's done well.
Would Wing count for decent politics?

>>14753845
>00 might be good places to start since they are good alternate universe shows that you can pick up and watch without any background knowledge.
I know at least S1 of 00 had decent politics.
>>
File: 1470310995327.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
1470310995327.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>>14754581
>>
>>14754501
>Also Patrick >>>>>>> Jerid.
Yazan = Ali.
>>
z gundam fuck yeah.
>>
>>14755251
>z gundam is irredeemable shit.

ftfy
>>
>>14755166
Ali wishes he got as much screentime as Yazan.
>>
>>14755297
>ZZ gundam is irredeemable shit and not canon
Fixed
>>
>>14753771
G Reco
>>
Build Fighters
>>
>>14755159
>G Gundam
>the cons are literal opinions aside from the stock footage part
>>
File: 1460195245278.png (491KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1460195245278.png
491KB, 1280x720px
Is Reconquista in G worth watching? Only Gundam series I've seen are 00 and G.
>>
>>14755665
Reconguista is really hit or miss.
Due to the 23 episode limit they gave to tomino, the series feels incredibly rushed at times.

Honestly I enjoyed it, but it left me wanting.
I plan on watching it again in the future as to pick up anything I might have missed.
>>
>>14753955
Honestly, this.
I had a friend who kept telling me how good zeta was while I was watching the original, but it ended up being a huge disappointment except for the first OP
>>
>>14755154
Wing counts for decent grunt suits and OP and nothing else
>>
>>14753894
079, Zeta, ZZ and CCA.
>>
>>14754062
>This is a girl whose favorite movie of all time is the Transformers animated movie.

so in other words she is a fucking pleb
>>
>>14755251
>>14755154
Woah, why are there so many namefags so suddenly? Why do you have names on?
>>
>>14756004
Easy
They're faggots.

I especially like how that faggot Whiteagle/NiceDaemonette is still busy being such a fucking blatant wingbabby. Never even finished 0079.
>>
I don't understand why people are always asking questions like this and not just starting from the beginning.
>>
>>14756065
Because people are lazy nigs who don't want to do research or who are too "turned off" by 0079's seemingly dated animation to actually try it.
Can apply to any multiple-installment franchise really.

IMO it's a little more acceptable when one, say, -does- know how to do research, but wants second opinions, is unsure anyway, etc, but a lot of people don't seem to even put in that first effort anyway.
>>
>>14755992
Fight me nigga
>>
>>14753771
Thanks guys! I'll be diving into this soon.
>>
>>14755593
>Build Fighters
Also good.

>>14755982
>Wing counts for decent grunt suits and OP and nothing else
Eh, it DID go into political ideals, such as the usual pacifism (my own introduction to the concept) as well as being the first Gundam series to question the implications of autonomous weapons.
I'm just making sure to question how much of it is actually viable and how much is just my nostalgia.

>>14756004
>Why do you have names on?
I always post with a name, mostly:

>>14756058
>They're faggots.
Yeah.

>I especially like how that faggot Whiteagle/NiceDaemonette is still busy being such a fucking blatant wingbabby. Never even finished 0079.
Also, I was also hoping you'd bring this shit up AGAIN, since this is actually a thread it's relevant to.

Since I got the Gunpla itch again, I've been browsing related videos on the Youtube, and ended up binging the entirety of the MSG Abridged series.
While it only covers the first 21 episodes, it cements my original reasoning for why my 13 year old self wasn't interested in the original Toonami run...

For those first 21 episodes, nearly half of the 43 episode run of the series, Amuro... IS A WHINY FUCKING BITCH!
And that's the real irritating part of his character as our main protagonist, unlike the infamous Shinji Ikari (who was bullied into "piloting" a Bio-mecha that would pretty much only work for him) or even Kira "Jesus" Yamato (Who for a long time was the only one who COULD pilot their Gundam with his super human Coordinator reflexes), Amuro DIDN'T EVEN REALLY NEED TO GET IN THE GOD DAMN ROBOT!

Yes, he was their most experienced Gundam Pilot, but it clearly wasn't difficult to train teenagers to operate Project V's two OTHER mobile suits, and even Sayla was able to pilot it well enough her first time to get the Gundam's foot cut off!

When combined with the dated animation, it's no wonder young me passed on the series, and now that there are so many retellings of the same story why should one sit through it?
>>
>>14753980
This. I finished Zeta a week or two ago and it was phenomenal.
>>
>>14758199
>I can skip it because I don't like the MC! H-he's a whiner!
>L-Look, he's even worse than another famous whiner, see!
>These opinions totally invalidate the fact that I never watched the series! And I'll never have to because there's remakes!

el oh el
>>
>>14759509
At least I don't bring it up EVERY fucking thread...
>>
File: odaiba-gundam-statue.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
odaiba-gundam-statue.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
Gundam? 0079, 0080 MS Team, G Gundam, Gundam X, Gundam Wing. Get comfortable anon!
>>
>>14759783
>if you just forgot how much of a faggot I've always been it'd all be better!

Even if I filtered you it wouldn't wash out the distaste, but I suppose I'll do my best to forget how colossal of a fag you have been and evidently continue to be.
>>
>>14753786
Kinda confusing at start, good at the middle, kinda dragging later on but goddamn the finale is beautiful, feel kinda worth the journey.

Only zeta and victory gave me a satisfying ending. and it is one my top 3 gundam shows
>>
>>14754062
You better prepared to protect that smile anon
>>
>>14754501
AUEG did allied with Neo Zeon to stop Titans
>>
>>14758199
Amuro literally only bitches about having to pilot the gundam for like five episodes.
I saw it for the first time like a year ago and I can only remember one streach of episodes where he did one term of "bitching". Everything else is him being a crazy death blender.
>>
>>14760196
This
He throws an occasional tantrum but generally gers in the robot and murderizes zeeks. Everyone on that boat is getting megadicked anyway so it'd be weird if they didn't whine about how much shit sucks.
>>
>>14760196
>Amuro literally only bitches about having to pilot the gundam for like five episodes.
>I saw it for the first time like a year ago and I can only remember one streach of episodes where he did one term of "bitching". Everything else is him being a crazy death blender.
Eh, maybe I tuned in during one of those episodes, certainly remember me being "meh" on Amuro and more interested in Sayla's relation to Char.
>>
>>14755382
Because alternate ending defuse established canon.

Everyone knows Kamille is better off a vegetable.
>>
>>14758199
People bitch about Shinji, but the guy felt all the damage his mech took. You wouldn't be able to get most people back in that thing after the early arm snapping bit.

Also you sure do talk about yourself a lot.
>>
I got into Gundam this summer and this is how I did it.

I watch Iron Blooded-Orphans first because it was the newest and it wasn't conected to the UC timeline because it's huge and intimating.

Then I watched the original, then Zeta and now I'm on 08th MS Team.
>>
File: medieval biking traditions.png (546KB, 704x528px) Image search: [Google]
medieval biking traditions.png
546KB, 704x528px
>>14753786
It's good.
Huge bodycount and sadness all the way.
>>
>>14760473
>People bitch about Shinji, but the guy felt all the damage his mech took. You wouldn't be able to get most people back in that thing after the early arm snapping bit.
Well of course, and on top of that he was, somewhat inadvertently, emotionally broken all for the sake of an ancient conspiracy.

>Also you sure do talk about yourself a lot.
Yes, yes I do.
Try to cut back on it, as it's probably the most obnoxious thing about me on the web, but yeah...
>>
>>14760554
Nigger you go around posting as "nicedaemonette" ever damn time one of your fetishes comes up. How is that not fucking obnoxious?
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.